Eternal Lands Official Forums
handyman

Your views on how to promote the pk server and what would you change

I am starting this thread hopefuly to stop other threads being use off topic

here you go guys you can post all your ideas and comments here

The Question

Pk Server what needs to be done to improve its data base?

My views

I think the Pk server is almost their but this is what i would personaly change

PKing

I would keep no cooldown on food but I would put it back on potions and rings this is the only way to promote the PKing on this server. PLAYERS DONT PK because there is no fun or skill to just clicking a spirit restoration every second and then a diss ring followed by a tele ring when you are getting low.

That is all i think the server needs to keep its mixer's and its pker's interested.

Improving the player data base

We get new players join this server but because the data base is low we dont get eneough joining to keep a decent amount playing and the best way to improve this would be to make it a free server. But as that has never been an option, so we have decided to see if we can get as many donated un-used chars as we can to boost the server. Just by the response i have been getting, that shows players would come here for free.

So to summerise we would pk more if pking was a skill and not a boring stand off also with my idea a group of weeker players could take down a stronger player. Also players would have to rally together to kill high end mobs. As it stands i can kill ice dragons easy with my 100 a/d cap

Have your say but try to be positive guys dont use this just to run yer mouth or slag off the server. Idea's are what we need and any of you that have played here before what you would want to change to come back

Thanks Handyman

Edited by handyman

I've always been a fan of no-cooldown, but putting it back would give more fun and role playing and actual playing to the game than it does now.

Let's take dragons - they're supposed to be the strongest creatures to ever walk the planet. How come then one man can kill them? Futhermore, how can a single person farm them all day long? Take a look at movies, animation and stories - there's always a long quest to find the dragon and kill it, and after it the knight/wtv has to rest a long long time.

So putting the cooldown back would bring in teamplay, not only in PvE but in PvP also. Wanna kill a dragon/yeti/whatever? Need to make a team (maybe even invite new players on and help them train). Wanna take revenge on someone? You need a team as well, especially if you're the weaker guy.

I'd even sacrifice no cooldown on food for this, since there are always alternatives - be it bones, toads, or even FPS.

P.s. That's only one point where the server could be improved. I didn't have my daily coffeine intake to be able to think about other points.

Here is my ideal PK server

1) Cancel C2 for now, until the player base is at least 100 people average (yes there is an arument for important npcs but for the time being get rid of it) or move some of the npc's crtical to c1.

2) introuduce cooldown on rings/food,/pots just like the main server

3) Stop having multiple charaters that can interact with each other. Not everyone has a pc that can run 4 el clients at once. Force player interaction

Here is my ideal PK server

1) Cancel C2 for now, until the player base is at least 100 people average (yes there is an arument for important npcs but for the time being get rid of it) or move some of the npc's crtical to c1.

2) introuduce cooldown on rings/food,/pots just like the main server

3) Stop having multiple charaters that can interact with each other. Not everyone has a pc that can run 4 el clients at once. Force player interaction

We still need to keep the distance from main server and PK server although your points are good ones i think the 2 servers would be too much the same.

What makes this server atractive and different from the main server is

No cooldown on food

Being able to interact your chars and being able to multy play

atleast 80% of the server is PK

100 a/d cap

Not a free game

How hard would it be to put cool down just on the rings and pots? (I am not a programer)

What you guys need to realise the main server gets a certain amount of promoting. (when i played you were urged to vote for it on different web sites)

Also its a Free server so the main server is getting new players all the time also you are loosing players all the time.

Over here on the PK server we are not promoted so we have to find ways of getting players over here ourselves.

In a perfect world putting cool down JUST on pots and rings would attract pkers and pking also making it free would attract players.

Question why cant it be a perfect world after all Radu is GOD and can do anything.

He would start getting revenue. from shop sales and this server might end up being worth promoting.

Handyman

We still need to keep the distance from main server and PK server although your points are good ones i think the 2 servers would be too much the same.

No cooldown on food

100 a/d cap

Not a free game

The items that you say make the server attractive are not working.

The cap is fine, the 5 bucks is fine, but no cooldown on food is a small price to pay, and multi play sucks for most people. Not everyone likes 2-3 client type of play

I think this has been discussed before.

Wish list:

-PK central announcing locations of random players in PK-maps at random times (On average once per 6h per player), add risk to the PK-maps.

-Increase chance to get '#day of invasions', that day really pawns ;)

-All arenas 'No-Rost', add risk to PK and the HOS perk.

-Rostogols that give 95-99% protection for items, add risk to PK.

-Let MI absorb 50% of offensive spell power (including your own spells) and block (magic level%)(max 90%) of the spells cast.

-Increase max seeing distance and ranging distance.

Handy, if you need 2k EMU supplies to kill something that doesn't really count... And I saw that you died vs an icy dragon too, so cant be THAT easy :P. I kills players so there is at least one player that does PK.

Pk-Server is fine as it is now. That is not the problem. The problem is that people seem not to understand what the Pk-Server actually is.

There just wont be pking like on main. Its no surprise people are disappointed if they come over to the Pk-server just to pk, not to play EL with a different setting. Maybe it would help to see the Pk-Server as a quite similiar but still different game.

Maybe best thing to do is a name-change (sounds lame but some might need this to get things right)+ perhaps a bigger button on the EL site.

(And I'm not getting tired to promote this: install an Info-bot on main, to give info or to work as a inter-server-pk-central-thing)

Handy, if you need 2k EMU supplies to kill something that doesn't really count... And I saw that you died vs an icy dragon too, so cant be THAT easy :) . I kills players so there is at least one player that does PK.

Ok 400 he's it took but it does count because a 100 a/d char can kill him in 5 minutes and Hey icy only killed me because you mana drained me and i turned on you and killed you. I went to heal and had no mana didnt get time to hit them sr's ( so i was fighting you and Icy, manage to get you but your mana drain helped icy out)

you have also raised some good idea's though

The items that you say make the server attractive are not working.

The cap is fine, the 5 bucks is fine, but no cooldown on food is a small price to pay, and multi play sucks for most people. Not everyone likes 2-3 client type of play

When i played the main server 4 years ago most players were either breaking the multi play no 5 rule or were trying to find ways of exployting it. Over here you have the option wether to multi play or not I have one trained fighter one mixer and harvesters. But if there was no multi play then my mixer would not be able to make anything for my fighter. that is how it works over here. we can be fighters harvesters mixers. rather than trying tio do it all with one char. we never get board.

But this server can still be a place for mixers / fighters because they always need each other and with more pking comes more need of supplys.

If you put cool down on food and or bring in rule 5 I feel you would loose most of the people that play here now

Pk-Server is fine as it is now. That is not the problem. The problem is that people seem not to understand what the Pk-Server actually is.

We need to increase the flow of players coming through the pk server. I enjoy playing it but some subtle changes would help and i love pking

Handy

the best way to make this server more used is making it FREE TO CREATE A CHARACTER. then maybe alts cost the $5. i doubt anyone has spent more than $20 for the pk server in months, so radu isnt making much money. but, with 1 character being created for free, ppl get hooked on it, and get $5 to buy more characters. possible cut off c2 like wizzy said and charge a one time fee to radu to allow you to go to c2, some kind of item you have to have in your inventory to cast int2p2p. i know there are ways to get around c1 to get to c2, so you would hae to have that item in your inv to cast tptp, make this item untradeable and non-drop would be nice too

No cooldown on food

100 a/d cap

Not a free game

True, except the last point. Paying for the account is fine ofc, but it doesn't attract new players. It's just a little barrier you need to overcome before being able to play.

Over here on the PK server we are not promoted so we have to find ways of getting players over here ourselves.

WTF? No, Radu needs to get over himself and start promoting both servers.

How hard would it be to put cool down just on the rings and pots?

Radu already said, we either get no cooldown at all or all cooldowns. He hates the extra 10 minutes of work.

...and multi play sucks for most people. Not everyone likes 2-3 client type of play

Did anyone say you need to play 4 chars or none at all? I play 1 most of the time, only when I do something boring do I turn on my alt. I did the same thing on main server back in the day, only those chars never interacted. The current EL playerbase is capable of playing several chars at a time, be it on main, pk, or both servers at the same time.

Wish list:

-PK central announcing locations of random players in PK-maps at random times (On average once per 6h per player), add risk to the PK-maps.

That's the worst idea I've heard from you. There are plenty of people to PK, noobs and not so much. Just need to find them. Having this would suck for most players and keep them in safe places only.

All in all, the server needs to be tweaked, but not drastically. Just change a few things that really push people back, and you get an increased playerbase. With that comes other stuff, like teamwork, protecting harvesters and stronger guild system.

Oh and if Radu's reading this: sorry man, I don't mean to shit on the chef, but you gotta give a clean plate to eat from.

Keep in mind that the PK Server players is gotten from a subset of the Main EL Players. So increasing the number of players on the main server needs to be thought about as well so that there is a larger pool of potential players to attract.

Keep in mind that the PK Server players is gotten from a subset of the Main EL Players. So increasing the number of players on the main server needs to be thought about as well so that there is a larger pool of potential players to attract.

This makes sence

Then the best way would be to promote both servers together then new players could decide

But i still think this server needs the minor tweeks

ChrisC has an idea first char free then pay for alts but im not sure how easy that would be to exploit and if its revenue RadU wants he would make more $$ buy makin it a free server the more players the more the shop would be used.

I dont think locking out C2 would solve much players are so used to that place now and i think it would be a reason not to come here. Its not the size of the land that is the problem its player base

Handy

Edited by handyman

Who are the potential players for the PK server? Those who know their way around EL, so basically Main server players. Ofc, if you promote EL in general, you promote the PK server as well, to an extent. But on main there's almost no advertising. Even on the website (which, off-topic, should be re-done :) ) there's just a small line and a little piece of info about the PK server. As for the shop page - almost none.

So, if the targeted players are the main server players, there should be alternative ways to interest them in the pk server. Most of them don't want to leave their uber pro bought chars and start a new one for 5$. Maybe the char copy should be allowed, to an extent, maybe pre-made different skill/build char selling, or even a quest (just an idea with no particular details) a quest on main which would give an account upon completion (The quest should be dynamic, so that there won't be a walkthrough for any newbie to complete, or require particular levels/skills/kill count/whatever). As if a reward for mastering the Main server and a suggestion to move to a more dangerous and harder environment.

I don't have any new ideas at-the-moment, but a couple observations.

There are two battles to be fought: getting people to TRY the server, and getting people to STAY on the server. As discussed elsewhere, I believe the two main reasons people don't TRY the server (or immediately leave) are:

1 - I don't want to start a character over from zero.

2 - There aren't enough people on the PK server, when everyone else plays then I'll play too.

Based on the above discussions I might add:

3 - I don't want to spend the $5 (or find someone to do the gc->$$ conversion) for a char.

We tried to address #1 with the char-copy idea (which failed due to no good anti-abuse method). As others said, #3 could be addressed but I don't think Radu wants to. Although, personally, I'd have no trouble with the server becoming free. My $5/gc investment has yielded two years of great fun. I wouldn't feel shorted if people could play for free from now on.

Most of the other ideas being talked about would seem to apply to getting people to STAY on the server. The over-ridding factor is: what changes could be done with little or no work for Radu?

Taking cooldown as an example, radu has said full or none. Doing just pots and rings (as proposed) would be a lot of work either in code or in item definition tables (depending on how it was implemented). But I think there is a compromise that would work.

We could have cooldown returned on everything, but then make 2 (hopefully) simple changes to put fruits and veggies back to a 1-second cooldown. That would be trivial compared to trying to modify all the rings and pots (or even a sub-set of them). It would accomplish the goal to make PK more interesting, but would maintain the faster mixing environment we all love.

I like the idea of coming up with some new ideas, but each idea has to be measured against the effort to implement because (unless someone pays him $$$) Radu doesn't want to put in much/any effort.

Another reason that might results ppl stay on main: they are mostly chatting on main and the current gossip telegraph option is just slow. Maybe would be good to make a faster connection (like able to join to main server channels for chat also).

If I would do an MMO game, I will let the chance to main players travel to pk server, lets say below 100 a/d, as they get benefit from the danger (for example better harv rates, more special stones etc). I know this is currently an impossible idea. But PK server would be much better as a subpart of main (a whole structure of pk maps to live and mix there in danger but without cooldowns).

Edited by csiga

make it like it was in PK server beta, everywhere PK (with IP/UW as the only exceptions).

Edit: explanation: I was reading over the thread in which Radu originally unveiled the concept of a PK server, and this seems to fit closer with his original vision of what the server would be (and also what got people excited about it in the beginning).

Edited by Requiem

make it like it was in PK server beta, everywhere PK (with IP/UW as the only exceptions).

Edit: explanation: I was reading over the thread in which Radu originally unveiled the concept of a PK server, and this seems to fit closer with his original vision of what the server would be (and also what got people excited about it in the beginning).

And that changes what? People are not afraid of PK zones already, go ahead and pk all them harvers and trainers. As for the original idea, there was supposed to be 100 active players, but oh well, that didn't happen.

Like i keep saying for the PK server to turn into a PK server you need to make it challanging and exciting and to attrack players that like to pk you need that cool down on them rings and pots. I think the rest is ok .

Maybe some areas where rosto dont work would force old school pking as peeps would not want to loose their col and special swords

But from what im being told the Main server isnt doing that well at the moment either, or its nothing like it used to be so maybe a tweek of this server and promote both servers together as free server's would be the answer.

At the moment our player base comes from the main server if it also came from new promotions then we might see a difference.

Eternal lands used to be No 1 on some of these voting site's. Does admin still urge mains players to vote on these sites?

Handy

Don't change a thing.

To get more players:

- Offer a (free) pkserver account to all people that get banned for illegal multi =)

just a tought

I agree with the cooldown thing that Handy mentioned. No cooldown on food, but regular cd on other items.

I was there with a bunch of people on the opening day of the PK server, waiting for it to get started and having our chars wiped. The PK was really good for a bit but then people started leaving when it slowed down :[ I remember Sistema and I were the only ones left in MASH ;_;

I don't know if the alliance of some of the guilds was a reason, but it didn't seem like much people attacked each other. I dunno how it's like now, but perhaps erasing the #set_ally_guild command might bring things up a bit.

And another issue I had was that I couldn't afford to pay for like 5 alts so I had to work slowly while lots of people kinda sped along. Perhaps if you paid once for the PK server, you get an extra 2 or 3 characters free of charge?D:

btw, I'm interested in the PK server if anyone has a char(s) they don't need.

Edited by Pride

And another issue I had was that I couldn't afford to pay for like 5 alts so I had to work slowly while lots of people kinda sped along.

That's pretty funny. Most people didn't have an army of alts. I've only got one alt (Kaldoon) who was only used for contests for the first year or so. Even now the only thing I use him for is harvesting dung to support my tailoring work. It would be perfectly reasonable to have one alt to fully support a fighter char. No army needed.

Edited by bkc56

I know not everyone has an army of alts, but some did ;) I dunno about now, but yeah I'mma see if I can pop by the server and give it a go

It would be great to have you back

:[ I remember Sistema and I were the only ones left in MASH ;_;

Good old mash :)

I dont think its that people wont pk on here its just a case of making it challenging and exciting.

And of course more players more pking.

After most players fizzled out the server did pretty much split into 2 sides. With some new blood and the ability to pk each other would change things over here.

I cant be bothered at the moment to find someone activate MI and trade sr's for 10 minutes then dis and tele. I want lower level players to be able to gang up on me and have good tactics in battles. not just throw a loads of summoning stones about.On the main we used to attack stronger players get them on the back foot with potion cooldown and as they dissed someone else attack so they could not use a ring because of that cool down. all this made PKing fun.

I wonder just how much work it would take to just put cool down back on rings and potions or like Bkc56 said put it back on all items then ruduce it to 1 second on fruit and veg

Handy

Edited by handyman