Eternal Lands Official Forums
Guest Guest

After EL crashed, how to get it in a normal function again?

Guest Guest

Hi!

Yesterday I was cashing in a reward from Ios (200 skunkfur), and EL crashed at the same moment I pressed "got your stuff". Usally I start up EL in full screen mode, but now it's not full screen, despite that the full screen mode is marked in options. Switched el.ini to the original one, no changes. Trying to move forward result in that the char moves at the opposit direction. Can't move E or S at all, moving W or N makes the char to move S. Toggle full screen mode off doesn't change the size of the window EL is running in, just the content in the window change size. Trying to toggle to full screen again doesn't work, I can't close the option window either. In order to get the sound work on whole system, I did following terminal cmd for a few days ago: sudo aptitude --purge reinstall linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils linux-image-`uname -r` linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r` libasound2, and that make my sound to work everywhere on my system. I don't know why EL crashed, and what to do with the problems I got after it. It has worked properly several days after I did this terminal cmd. Any ideas?

Simply put: None.

You don't say what version of Linux you are using. Can you play other games? Does your sound still work.

Looks like a reinstall of OS to me, but doesn't take long

Guest Laban

Simply put: None.

You don't say what version of Linux you are using. Can you play other games? Does your sound still work.

Looks like a reinstall of OS to me, but doesn't take long

It has gone some time now, and I have observed some odd things. It seems to be that terminal cmd I did, that couses the problem with EL. When I start up the computer for a new day, the mashine acts like it did before that terminal cmd: streaming radio ok, some flashfilms ok, but rest of the system is quiet, including EL, but graphically it works well, everywhere, so I can continue to play EL without any other problem than the lack of sound. Tested that terminal cmd again, and I had sound everywhwere again, including EL, but now it behave so strange, that it isn't playable, as I described. When I do a restart, the effect has gone, I can jaust listen to the net radio, and see some films, and play EL again in quiet. I have Ubuntu 12.04, latest rev. and I bught a better graphic card to be able to play EL with all FX there is instead of poor man alternativ.

When I got the gpu to work properly with all the fighting with drive routines, there was no sound exept for the net radio and some flash films/games, and I have experimented since then with a system I don't understand, to get sound over the whole system. Removed pulseaudio and get sound on EL. Removed alsa, and installed OSS, not pleased, removed OSS and installed alsa again, but I couldn't find out how to install the nessesary alsa drives, until I found that first described terminal cmd, that gave me sound over the whole system, but make EL to crash, and seems to be removed by Linux, when I restart it. Today I got an update of the kernel, and after the restart I have no sound at all. I give up now, it's not ment for Linuxusers to make it's gears to work properly, it require some powerful wizard, that have a good contact with a moore powerful god to fix this mashine...

Which version of the EL client are you using? The last release version or a newer build? The static build that comes bundled with the data or the Ubuntu packages? I ask because the packages should work better with Ubuntu than the one bundled with the data. In newer builds (since the last release), there have been significant bug fixes to the EL sound code.

Edited by bluap

Guest Laban

I think I insalled it with 'sudo apt-get' 3 times with the game itself, then the sounffx, and last the music. So it'll be the Ubuntu packages then. After that I don't have any sound, until I removed the pulseaudio. Then I got the sound, nice n' clear, so EL is working properly. But I didn't have any sound in other parts of the system. Systemsounds, and some netrelated soundsources was still quiet. (They worked before I changed the graphic card). VLC couldnt play oggfiles, so I find out that I have to install an alsa-lib to make it work, and after the install, nothing, exept the net radio, worked. After following instruction about what to do with alsa to mak it work, I guess my HD is quite messy with catalogues that never will be used and parts of alsa system in other places. I missing the alsa drivers, find a way to install them (in my first description) all works fine after a restart, but EL missbehave, a new restart, alsa drives is missing and EL have a correct behave again. Why I don't know, after 5 years with Linux, I still don't know how it works, can't find anything that follow what I had learned about normal logic. I'm glad that I at least can listen to the radio when I play, or watch a film.

OK. If you're not already running the latest development version of the client, I'd reccommend you do to pick up those sound fixes and all the other goodies. You can get instructions at the bottom of the Ubuntu install help pages here.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.