Eternal Lands Official Forums
Vanyel

Let's Invade

03c1fe0f98679c8571eeb688229c28f6db2caa66

Dear all,

In response to the miniscule participation in invasions I was recently informed about I hereby announce a new policy that should remedy this pitiful state of affair. In following weeks there will be a series invasion events for all our employees players to take part in it. Your presence is obligatory strongly encouraged.

The events will follow a presented below agenda:

Event 1: An invasion in a single combat map with a few trees (our corporation does not support them tree-huggers). It will start with a low level cap (80) and move up until 120. In parallel, we will make sure to make our more experienced empl players comfortable in a cosy, multicombat invasion start with low cap (120) and moving to the top one.

Event 2: An easy invastion in a multicombat environment. General terms will remain as before.

Event 3: A regular invasion in a single combat area, for our newcomers to get used to at least some challenge (we observe a general lack of motivation and bad attitude in our staff).

Event 4: A regular invasion in a multicombat area, however, on the easy side of difficult.

We do hope that all our employees players will make sure to appear in numbers.

Best regards,

Vanyel

A self-righteous, self-appointed Managing Director or Easy Invasion Inc.

10/04/2016

Invasion description:

All uncapped.

Glacmor outsides: up to cyclops

Glacmor caves: up to desert chimeran

Trassian out of the city: up to forest chimmies

Trassian in the city: up to cockatrices

Trassian caves: unlimited

Comments, critique (provide arguments), praises all welcome ;)

Edited by Vanyel

In my humble opinion, this was an awesome way to do the invasion! I'm not a skilled fighter and usually die. The way this invasion was done allowed me to play where I had fun. The mobs were not too low or too high for me (where I chose to go).

This type of invasion should appeal to all types of players.

Thank you Vanyel!!!!

Hi!

I haven't been to this invasion, but i have been in some of your past invasions. I really like the way you make them, not cramming all tiles on the map, allowing a little room to move gives everyone a chance to survive. I think the challenge was well adjusted, you could die, but even some of the stronger people from the lower caps could contribute to the team clearing it. I will probably try out more of your invasions if i catch them, ty for making them!

Hi! I haven't been to this invasion, but i have been in some of your past invasions. I really like the way you make them, not cramming all tiles on the map, allowing a little room to move gives everyone a chance to survive. I think the challenge was well adjusted, you could die, but even some of the stronger people from the lower caps could contribute to the team clearing it. I will probably try out more of your invasions if i catch them, ty for making them!

I can echo these words too, your invasions have be excellent for many skill levels

thanks

That was a great invasion - the only issue was the maps were linked- so to get to Trassian you had to go via glac and ended up wiping out a whole load of lower cap mobs, likewise to get to the glac caves.

Hear ya, hear ya. Time for another invasion.

This time we are going for easy multicombat and regular multicombat. As I feel that Seridia maps are overly underappreciated the schedule is as such:

Naralik outsides: nothing stronger than cyclops.

Naralik catas: nothing stronger than feros and desert chimmies.

Grubani Peninsula (north): nothing stronger than frost trolls

Grubani Peninsula (south): up to cockatrices

South Kilaran Field: whatever comes under my fingers

The invasion will be uncapped. Waves will be coming more less every 30 minutes or if you give me a shout in channel 6 or in PMs that somewhere it is too empty.

There will be 3 waves. With the last wave I will spawn capped bosses.

Naralik outsides: polyphemous @ 110

Naralik catas: polies & cocas @ 120

GP: polies/cocas/bulangius @ 140

SKF: up to casties - no cap

Leave comments below, please.

Mistakes I've managed to commit:

Naralik is way too small.

Getting to NK Cata requires going through Naralik. Probably obvious, but I somehow missed this obviousness :/

Can't get lazy, either. Will start capping the lower levels.

Learning is a process. Which is but a nice sounding excuse :P

Edited by Vanyel

Dear All,

I have a few questions to you all beginners and people who do not attend invasions for their own reasons. What would you like to have in an invasion? Is there anything that overwhelms you during them? What do you find the most difficult part? What challenges you're not up to yet, but would like to give them a try?

If you are a frequent visitor to invaded maps, answer these questions. What makes you a frequent participant? What do you like the most and the least? What is the biggest challenge for you? How to improve invasions?

Bestestest regardestest,

~me

Dear Vanyel,

first off: thanks for all your efforts and time to make this a fun and exciting experience for everyone! I really apprciate it :icon13: !!

I like best:

Generally: Themed invasions ("birds" in Theli for example was a blast, even though I've never seen a Yeti with wings... but who knows, maybe he's a rocket on skis in his homeland...), or multi-stage invasions with a story (different caps in the same map, so everyone can participate... "evil mage XY sends in his cannon fodder first..." "... enslaved an entire forest and forces all animals to lay siege on some city..."... then the tougher troups come in when the fodder is wasted)

Also:

Invaded dungeons or not-so-common regions, particularily if containing multiple rooms, sub-caves etc.: AA fortress, connected caves in Trassian, Hurquin deep caves etc.

What I don't like find difficult or sometimes frustrating:

Cocalars in 110 capped invasions (they've even been put in 100 or 105 cap before)

Reason: especially with the chance for a really small drop, they may not be worth fighting (in that range) in either melee or with the help of archers. Thre are methods and occasions which work - and pay off especially with a medium+ drop, but still. And in the early stages of an invasion (crowded map with many lower critters alive) they are really frustrating to have around for their disruption of the ongoing massive brawl, potentially causing ppl to not join the forces of fighters for the fear of being caught by one of the Cocalars.

Please don't misunderstand me: I'm NOT saying "nooo, we don't want any challenge in an invasion". I also by no meas disapprove of boss monsters requiring team work. I'm just saying: In 110 capped range they can be a frustrating challenge for most of the players, even in small teams - AND in the company of smaller bosses can really make the initial or mid-way stages of an invasion very dangerous.

(need to leave computer for a while now - may add more comments later)

Hi, the birds in theli was my invasion. At the end they wanted some bosses so I added bosses and a few yeti defenders to make them work for it. In multi maps, I see no problem with coca in as a boss in a 110 cap. I've gotten some nice gc drops considering the a/d level. For a 110 cap, I have polys and coca as a boss. Bulas are too hard as are casty and brickers. Keeping to the edges in large maps give you a better chance of survival. I like AA for that, monsters spawn on the other side of the bridge and you guys can pick them off as they cross. I'll give you a little hint on my invasions, I am very lazy so on most maps monsters spawn at (100, 100) or round numbers like that. If you find that point on the map, you'll know where the bulk of the monsters are. ;) I understand wanting the bosses at the end, but for me most of the time I am making invasions at the end of my play time. I have too many rl needs and invasions are something to keep you guys busy after i am gone. All mods have their own style.

My assessment of Vanyel's invasions is: #1 first class all the way. Something I can fight in and not die too often. Single combat is my best friend, I'm just not pr0 enough to handle multi.

I disagree with Gwaew on this. Yes, it is stressful to mob a coca when there are frost trols etc wandering that could kill you if they attack, but surely that is why invasions are special. You can get a team together and attack yetis etc if you like, but it is not the same as an invasion, pretty soon it becomes just another training session.

Cheers,

Today we are going for capped invasions in different areas.

Menu:

I. Starters

• Goblins, orcs and ogres with a taste of troll's loincloth served with a variety of animals by our masterchef of Melinish. Delivered inside the city for all those who are below 81 a/d --> 101.

II. Main Course

• Skinned fluffy rabbits for all those with Wolfish apetite, flavoured with desert and forest spices . Served with a decent variety of carnivorous animals. Delivered in Melinis, although you will have to leave the city. Targeted at seasoned warriors with a/d below 121.
  • Yeti rib-eye soup with cockatrice meat. However, to eat this speciality an experienced warrior might have to go through all kind of wolves. We serve it in South Redmoon Island. We do hope that all warriors below 151 a/d will enjoy this meal.

III. Dessert

• Dragon-egg based cake with a portion of ice-cream. We serve this very special dessert in North Moon Island. Our staff has been recruited from between all variety of creates roaming Draia. Suggested for all of those who did not find anything for them in our Menu so far.

The degustation will start at 5:00 Game Time and will last till the end of the day. We expect some special guests to arrive then. All meals will be delivered continously in this period, so nobody should be surprised when one of our waiters appears just in front, back, side of them.

Edited by Vanyel

I have a few questions to you all beginners and people who do not attend invasions for their own reasons. What would you like to have in an invasion? Is there anything that overwhelms you during them? What do you find the most difficult part?

Most invasions are capped by A+D/2. My main character has A+D/2 of over 120, but it can't participate in any current invasions capped that high, because its human nexus is only 4 (with the armor/weapon restrictions that implies), and its P+C/2 is less than 40. This makes its surviving 120-capped invasions highly unlikely. If you would like to see participation by more characters (including those not built as fighters), my suggestion is that you have some invasions also be initially human-nexus capped, and others be P+C/2-capped, or maybe some combination of these. It might also be interesting to have "bare-knuckle" invasions, where participants are not allowed to wear armor or wield weapons.

Also, based on (an) invasion(s) in which I have (inadvertently) participated, I would like to see some "sparse" invasions, where one has a chance to #beam out after killing a mob or two or three and collecting its/their bag(s). (In a portals room invasion my main character was caught in, it was doing OK against some lower-level mobs, but as soon as it killed one, another would engage it. It couldn't collect any bags, and, eventually, a wave of higher-level monsters appeared, and it was toast.)

(Edit: portal rooms -> portals room)

Edited by sgik

Most invasions are capped by A+D/2. My main character has A+D/2 of over 120, but it can't participate in any current invasions capped that high, because its human nexus is only 4 (with the armor/weapon restrictions that implies), and its P+C/2 is less than 40. This makes its surviving 120-capped invasions highly unlikely. If you would like to see participation by more characters (including those not built as fighters), my suggestion is that you have some invasions also be initially human-nexus capped, and others be P+C/2-capped, or maybe some combination of these. It might also be interesting to have "bare-knuckle" invasions, where participants are not allowed to wear armor or wield weapons.

Thanks for your input sgik. Unfortunately there are no mechanisms allowing us to cap on any other basis than (a+d)/2. I will think about adjusting invasions using a rule of thumb. I will not always measure it correctly, though. I am not that advanced in game lore. If anybody could post some suggestions on it, I would appreciate.

Also, based on (an) invasion(s) in which I have (inadvertently) participated, I would like to see some "sparse" invasions, where one has a chance to #beam out after killing a mob or two or three and collecting its/their bag(s). (In a portals room invasion my main character was caught in, it was doing OK against some lower-level mobs, but as soon as it killed one, another would engage it. It couldn't collect any bags, and, eventually, a wave of higher-level monsters appeared, and it was toast.)

(Edit: portal rooms -> portals room)

A very good point. The overly crowded maps are partially due to my lazyness. I simply prefer pack maps and then re-invade with time. However, there is also a valid reason for it if I run invasion in several areas at once. If I wanted to make the invasions sparse I am more than sure I would get lost in it at come point and spawn some monsters on Isla Prima or other area that was not on schedule. Anyway, for this reason I run invasions in single combat area every now and then. It helps the participants with escaping. Maybe in future, I will run an invasion in a single, big map, which will allow me to make it "rare". However in such case I will most probably have to go for time-plan of changing caps. I will give it a thought and come back with a proposal in a few days.

Once again, thanks for your input. I appreciate you decided to use some of your time to share your opinion with me.

Bestest,

~me

Dear Vanyel,

first off: thanks for all your efforts and time to make this a fun and exciting experience for everyone! I really apprciate it :icon13: !!

I like best:

Generally: Themed invasions ("birds" in Theli for example was a blast, even though I've never seen a Yeti with wings... but who knows, maybe he's a rocket on skis in his homeland...), or multi-stage invasions with a story (different caps in the same map, so everyone can participate... "evil mage XY sends in his cannon fodder first..." "... enslaved an entire forest and forces all animals to lay siege on some city..."... then the tougher troups come in when the fodder is wasted)

Also:

Invaded dungeons or not-so-common regions, particularily if containing multiple rooms, sub-caves etc.: AA fortress, connected caves in Trassian, Hurquin deep caves etc.

Thanks for input. I will try to take it into more than just consideration and use some of your hints.

What I don't like find difficult or sometimes frustrating:

Cocalars in 110 capped invasions (they've even been put in 100 or 105 cap before)

Reason: especially with the chance for a really small drop, they may not be worth fighting (in that range) in either melee or with the help of archers. Thre are methods and occasions which work - and pay off especially with a medium+ drop, but still. And in the early stages of an invasion (crowded map with many lower critters alive) they are really frustrating to have around for their disruption of the ongoing massive brawl, potentially causing ppl to not join the forces of fighters for the fear of being caught by one of the Cocalars.

Please don't misunderstand me: I'm NOT saying "nooo, we don't want any challenge in an invasion". I also by no meas disapprove of boss monsters requiring team work. I'm just saying: In 110 capped range they can be a frustrating challenge for most of the players, even in small teams - AND in the company of smaller bosses can really make the initial or mid-way stages of an invasion very dangerous.

(need to leave computer for a while now - may add more comments later)

That's a tough issue you tackle there. It is related to principles. I consider invasion as a source of fun. Experience and profit are secondary issue, in my opinion.

As for bosses mixed with waves or spawned with the last one. I tend to go with either of these methods, depending on my mood and idea for the invasion. Personally, I am always in awe when I see people cooperating. For me it's the best outcome there could be. I see nothing wrong in either method of spawning bosses, either.

Small creatures (brownies, skunks, etc. but also japitas) are nice dis catchers. Hence I tend to mix them in every now and then.

As for challenges, e.g. cluster of bosses with small stuff swarming around, I find challenges the thing that gives me the most satisfaction. That's probably my reason for making invasions challenging. Though, I do not mind making leasure ones every now and then, too.

Cheers,

~me

Hey I find the invasion already good as they are. In response to sgik's post, first of all even with human 4 you can fight pretty good in invasion only problem would be to get a decent sword.

And you can always wear a gatherer medallion to auto take the drops.

In case you are not a really strong fighter you can always spot some areas where the monster won't be that crowded. I am pretty sure they are several in every big maps.

I am not a big fan of single combat invasion though, and I guess I am not alone, there is less teamwork then.

I find it really hard to escape (if not almost impossible).

And I think re-invading maps when there are only a few left is a good and easy way to invade.

I would personally like to see 1-2 red Dragon in big maps (110, 120 cap) as hard boss but not so bad with Rangers. And maybe 1 less coco/poly. The invasion last very long then, and a few have left before invasion is clear.

Hopefully I can see some old skf inva with the deadly bridge

Thanks overally a good job.

I feel like a problem with both invasions and instances is the a/d cap. Basically a+d/2 is a terrible indicator of the player strength. For example, if I want to train on feros effectively it is generally agreed that 28/44 p/c is the best. At the same time, this means my char is much weaker in instances than if I pushed to 48/48.

Therefore the problem is that it is essentially impossible to build a character that is good at both training and doing invasions/instances at the same time. As a result, I ended up trying invasions where I was both underleveled and had low attributes. This means that invasions are very unprofitable, as the rewards are not that big while losing rostos is very expensive.

One possible solution would be to make the cap based on attributes as well. One solution: a+d+p+c. For cap >120 this would have essentially no effect, while at the lower levels (80-100 and 100-120) this would mean that players such as 105/110 with lower p/c could still join the 80-100 (because effectively same strength as players at 95/100 48/48).

Indeed, a different calculation for the cap migth be nice (but not just a/d/p/c either). That, however, is something radu will have to implement, together with an easy way to check players. At the moment, the check isn't complicated, but still sometimes taking more time and hassle than it should (when there are multiple players in an area for instance).

But that is taking us away from the subject of this thread, so I won't say more about it.

Edited by revi

I feel like a problem with both invasions and instances is the a/d cap. Basically a+d/2 is a terrible indicator of the player strength. For example, if I want to train on feros effectively it is generally agreed that 28/44 p/c is the best. At the same time, this means my char is much weaker in instances than if I pushed to 48/48

I leveled a character recently (Felessan) who is low 90s a/d currently - He is very capable to kill the mobs in a 100-110 capped invasion, and even up to yetis/frost trolls as long as it's one at a time. (though quite expensive - averages at about 4-5 restores per yeti/ft) however with his build he can also train Feros very easily and can reach anywhere between 6500-7000 exp/min depending on which feros spawn i am on (with my build i kill 1 feros as the other spawns on a double spawn), I don't think there is a problem with the current invasions/instances being (a+d)/2 - infact quite a few found inside melinis (101 cap) quite easy and people only died due to mana drain from bears, However many people who don't have pure fighting builds do struggle to stay alive in invasions, and in some cases struggle to kill mobs that "should" be around their a/d level - i have found that Vanyels and Aquilas recent invasions that i have took part in do accommodate both pure fighters as well as all rounders if you stay around the edges where there's less mobs - That said it could be a nice idea to change the way the cap works to be based off combat level instead so the people with more nexus and less combat related attributes(therefore lower CL) can fight in invasions more suited to their real combat abilities

I feel like a problem with both invasions and instances is the a/d cap. Basically a+d/2 is a terrible indicator of the player strength. For example, if I want to train on feros effectively it is generally agreed that 28/44 p/c is the best. At the same time, this means my char is much weaker in instances than if I pushed to 48/48

I leveled a character recently (Felessan) who is low 90s a/d currently - He is very capable to kill the mobs in a 100-110 capped invasion, and even up to yetis/frost trolls as long as it's one at a time. (though quite expensive - averages at about 4-5 restores per yeti/ft) however with his build he can also train Feros very easily and can reach anywhere between 6500-7000 exp/min depending on which feros spawn i am on (with my build i kill 1 feros as the other spawns on a double spawn), I don't think there is a problem with the current invasions/instances being (a+d)/2 - infact quite a few found inside melinis (101 cap) quite easy and people only died due to mana drain from bears, However many people who don't have pure fighting builds do struggle to stay alive in invasions, and in some cases struggle to kill mobs that "should" be around their a/d level - i have found that Vanyels and Aquilas recent invasions that i have took part in do accommodate both pure fighters as well as all rounders if you stay around the edges where there's less mobs - That said it could be a nice idea to change the way the cap works to be based off combat level instead so the people with more nexus and less combat related attributes(therefore lower CL) can fight in invasions more suited to their real combat abilities

That is true: staying at the edges in the invasions is a good way to stay alive. But at the same time, I find that staying out of the invasions is also a good way to stay alive too. The best part of the invasion, in my opinion, is being smack down in the middle of the action with stuff happening everywhere and mobs coming out of nowhere. The fun part is trying to stay alive in the chaos. Any other way of playing it is not worth it for me. But it's an easy way to make a huge loss, especially when underleveled.

I'm not saying that there necessarily needs to be a change, though, since it is my decision for a build and my decision of a playstyle. But in a way, that is also a problem with the level caps.