Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Vista

Anyone here plans to use Vista any time soon?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Poll

• I plan to use it in the near future (2 months or so)
    • Maybe in a year or two, I don't know.
    • No way, I am going to stick to XP and then Linux or Mac
    • I am already using a non MS OS, no plans to switch to Vista
    • I am already using Vista

No Vista for me! I'll keep my 98 and XP as long as I can.

I'm curious about Linux, but reading about it here from you pros, gives me the heebie-jeebies! :P

Yes, that's a big problem, computers coming preinstalled with the OS.

I think this should be illegal (it's a monopoly), especially in the cases where they won't refund you the money if you don't want to use the OS.

It's not a monopoly any more because you can buy OS-free systems elsewhere.

You can always reject the Windows EULA (don't boot in to Windows or accept) and return the sealed MS CDs and paraphernalia to Microsoft for a full refund...They'll be happy to do it too :P

You can read up on it here.

Edited by Placid

Had vista ultimate 64bit edition rc2 installed. Just too bad it didn't let me go to any *.com internet address, including microsoft.com so I couldn't activate it... *.fi, *.net and other pages worked well. And had(still have) xp pro on the same comp and it lets me go to any site i want :D.

So 500$ for that? No thanks. Not to mention it was pretty slow on amd x2 4600+, 1G 400mhz ddr, radeon x850xt and took more than half of the RAM. Will stick to win xp...and maybe try to fix my debian too :P.

EL works great on Linux for me, and my only contact with XP has been fixing problems on other people's boxes, so I have absolutely no reason to use Vista.

@Mugwump: try a linux live cd like Mepis or Kubuntu to get the feel of linux, then install Kubuntu. After a week or two you'll forget you ever used anything else.

You get so used to opening Synaptic and choosing an app to install when you have a new job to do, that installing apps from CD or DVD on other OSs quickly begins to seem prehistoric :P

IM not gonna use vista if at all possible. I have SUSE installed on my big hard drive now and am learning how to use it. Ill keep xp as long as i need it but i find my selfusing it less often now .

Not going to run Vista if i dont absolutely need to.

XP and Win2k3 will probably work for me for many years to come, and i will be looking into switching to Linux and/or BSD rather then Vista.

Thats like impossible...

But if it would be, whaah i would never use it :D

i also heard 'its easy for parents now', i dont like that idea :P

though microsoft is really silly to make DirectX 10 for Vista, mayb i could use it!

I'll be getting it. Not sure when though, but eventually :o

I must admit that EL works much better on linux than windows.

I had Mandriva installed, and EL worked on it with up to 250 fps.

On windows i can't get more than 80-84 fps, with the same hardware.

But i'm too damn lazy to install and configure any kind of Linux. With windows all I need is to install few drivers and apps. I don't have time to look into manuals, FAQ's and help formus each time I can't do something. Also PC games won't work on linux (well, cedega can run them, but's not free, and can't handle all of them). Sure, I can have both systems installed, but switching between them is annoying.

BloodSucker, I have been running GNU/Linux and FreeBSD exclusively for years and even though I like to bash windows I doubt it's windows' fault in that case.

Perhaps your windows gfx drivers have antialiasing enabled which improves image quality but sucks FPS, try looking through the control panel for such things.

And I voted for running a non-MS OS apparantly :o

Edited by scandium

BloodSucker, I have been running GNU/Linux and FreeBSD exclusively for years and even though I like to bash windows I doubt it's windows' fault in that case.

Perhaps your windows gfx drivers have antialiasing enabled which improves image quality but sucks FPS, try looking through the control panel for such things.

And I voted for running a non-MS OS apparantly :o

I've tried different things, and I get to one conclusion, that it's possible that screen refresh rate blocks the fps to go highter than RR is set to. My screen works in 1152x728 resolution, with 85Hz refresh rate. And so I can't get more than 84 fps. But still, I don't know how to deal with this problem.... yet :)

Also I'm running EL in windowed mode, and afiak AA won't work in window, only in fullscreen mode... but i might be wrong...

AA is set to "let application to decide"

i heard somewhere that Vista is somewhat about stopping illegal sharing through internet - i'm not getting it then.
myeh, that's one of the reasons it got pushed out... y'see, MS had big plans for all the nifty technological features to put in vista... one by one they were chucked out... the only one, just one, that they got done for vista was aero, the graphics stuff, and even that was far short of plans.

but yes, with vista, MS is stepping forward in the fight to take rights and ownership of the computer from the consumer. it's simply not acceptable in this day and age that the movie and music industries have less control than consumers over the stuff consumers buy that has no relation to them. it just isn't fair, gosh darnit! how can they afford to give artists 5% of the profits when consumers are able to legally use the stuff they buy (no, really, australian law says we have the legal right to put music from CDs we buy onto the computer, DRM will be in contravention of this, the music and movie industries who use DRM to stop us playing stuff on the computers will be using an unreasonable measure to prevent our lawful use of what we paid for...)

and heck, if we can back up the CDs and DVDs we buy, then there's no second sale when stuff's broken! how can an executive live under these situations of consumer's having some limited control?

it's a good thing the public is too docile and stupid to object in numbers (or at least ignorant. but I covered that above)

(note: forget a grain, this post needs to be read with a bag of salt)

Vista already has a lot of DRM built in (too technical to get into now, but basically it is designed to degrade your video and audio output when viewing 'protected content' such as HD-DVD/BlueRay videos.

Obviously, they would very much like to have DRM into any media, and not allow 'untrusted' programs to run (that is, the developers would need Microsoft's blessing in order for their code to run on Vista machines).

Fortunately for them, they decided to postpone this 'feature', and implement restrictions one a a time.

Which makes it crucial that we don't embrace MS's way, and switch to alternative OSes (after XP is no longer supported).

Disable the Vsync thingy in your video card control panel.

Yup, much better now, thank you.

But still, it's 100fps less than i can get on linux (150 now, on widnows, 250 on linux)

i heard somewhere that Vista is somewhat about stopping illegal sharing through internet - i'm not getting it then.
myeh, that's one of the reasons it got pushed out... y'see, MS had big plans for all the nifty technological features to put in vista... one by one they were chucked out... the only one, just one, that they got done for vista was aero, the graphics stuff, and even that was far short of plans.

but yes, with vista, MS is stepping forward in the fight to take rights and ownership of the computer from the consumer. it's simply not acceptable in this day and age that the movie and music industries have less control than consumers over the stuff consumers buy that has no relation to them. it just isn't fair, gosh darnit! how can they afford to give artists 5% of the profits when consumers are able to legally use the stuff they buy (no, really, australian law says we have the legal right to put music from CDs we buy onto the computer, DRM will be in contravention of this, the music and movie industries who use DRM to stop us playing stuff on the computers will be using an unreasonable measure to prevent our lawful use of what we paid for...)

and heck, if we can back up the CDs and DVDs we buy, then there's no second sale when stuff's broken! how can an executive live under these situations of consumer's having some limited control?

it's a good thing the public is too docile and stupid to object in numbers (or at least ignorant. but I covered that above)

(note: forget a grain, this post needs to be read with a bag of salt)

oh no :confused:

What is there anyway that stops the game industry from using open source OS? Gaming is the most important sector of computer innovation.

Im using Win Xp professional.

It is easy to make format and reinstall system.

Everything is working fine.I'm not going to get vista or install it on my pc.

I heard it take a lot of time to install it and a lot of troubles.

Maybe in future :confused:

(•) No way, I am going to stick to Win2k and then Linux or Mac :o

I should've switched to Linux years ago.. :omg:

edit: Ah yes, of course I can still vote... :hug: so I voted "stick to XP" since it's the closest.

Edited by Mar(c)

So who is the one already using Vista? How does EL work in Vista? Does the autoupdate work? Any graphical issues? Any issues in general?

Using Vista on a Dell Inspiron 9400(E1705) with a nvidia 7900gs

No go :icon13:

I can get as far as to the login screen, but when it tries to draw the gaming window, I get a CTD without any error messages. No *log*.txt files in EL dir either.