Eternal Lands Official Forums
Guest Pingurdill

Crash at startup

Guest Pingurdill

Hi !

Since this morning, EL won't start on my desktop. When I launch, I briefly get a window with a blue progress bar and then immediately the crash windows with this report:

Oh my, Eternal Lands Crashed - Don't Panic!
A few of things you can try:
1) Make sure your system is up to date, especially your video drivers.
2) If the client crashes repeatedly, try changing some settings.  Either by directly modifying the configuration file (e.g. gedit ~/.elc/main/el.ini). Or clicking the settings button window at the login screen.
i) Enable the "Poor Man" option in the "Details" tab of the setting window.  Or edit the configuration file and set "#poor_man=1".
ii) Disable the "Use animation program" option in the "Adv Video" tab of the setting window.  Or edit the configuration file and set "#use_animation_program=0".
If you continue to have problems check the Eternal Lands forums, especially the "Help Me" and "Bug Report" sections.  If you post a message make sure you include information about your system; i.e video driver and version, operating system and version.  Make sure you check your error log for clues too and include the contents in any forum report.
This information about your graphic hardware and software may help.
Output from "lspci | grep -i vga":
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GS] (rev a1)
Output from "glxinfo | head -5":
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
The following is your error log contents.  Note it is overwritten each time you run the game.
[18:35:52, engine/logging.cpp:310] Log started at: Sat May 12 18:35:52 2012 CEST
[18:35:52, engine/logging.cpp:313] version: 1.9.3
[18:35:53, translate.c:1763] Error: Could not read console.xml
[18:35:53, translate.c:1763] Error: Could not read errors.xml
[18:35:53, translate.c:1763] Error: Could not read help.xml
[18:35:53, translate.c:1763] Error: Could not read options.xml
[18:35:53, translate.c:1763] Error: Could not read spells.xml
[18:35:53, translate.c:1763] Error: Could not read stats.xml
[18:35:53, translate.c:1763] Error: Could not read titles.xml
[18:35:53, font.c:1433] Error: Unable to find any font textures
[18:35:53, interface.c:581] Error: Error: Can't open file "mapinfo.lst": No such file or directory
[18:35:53, image_loading.c:533] Error: File './textures/login_back' not found!
[18:35:53, textures.c:602] Error: Error loading image './textures/login_back'
[18:35:53, image_loading.c:533] Error: File 'textures/font' not found!
[18:35:53, textures.c:602] Error: Error loading image 'textures/font'
[18:35:53, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file './shaders/water_fs.glsl'.
[18:35:53]Last message repeated 3times
[18:35:53, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file './shaders/reflectiv_water_fs.glsl'.
[18:35:53, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file './shaders/water_fs.glsl'.
[18:35:53, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file './shaders/reflectiv_water_fs.glsl'.
[18:35:53, io/elfilewrapper.c:309] Error: Can't load zip file /home/ping/.elc/unofficial_custom_clothes.zip
[18:35:53, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file 'shaders/anim.vert'.
[18:35:53, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file 'shaders/anim_depth.vert'.
[18:35:53, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file 'shaders/anim_shadow.vert'.
[18:35:53, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file 'shaders/anim_ghost.vert'.
[18:35:53, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file 'shaders/anim_ghost_shadow.vert'.
[18:35:53, cursors.c:59] Error: Error: Can't open file "harvestable.lst": No such file or directory
[18:35:53, cursors.c:98] Error: Error: Can't open file "entrable.lst": No such file or directory
[18:35:53, init.c:203] Error: Error: Can't open file "knowledge.lst": No such file or directory
[18:35:53, mines.c:213] Error: Error opening mines configuration file: mines.xml: No such file or directory
[18:35:53, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file 'textures/cursors.bmp'.
[18:35:53, cursors.c:138] Error: Error: Can't open cursors file. [textures/cursors.bmp]
[18:35:53, actor_scripts.c:4722] Error: Unable to read actor definition file actor_defs/actor_defs.xml
[18:35:53, actor_scripts.c:2791] Error: Unable to read emotes definition file /emotes.xml
[18:35:53, missiles.c:941] Error: Unable to read missiles definition file actor_defs/missile_defs.xml
[18:35:53, weather.c:966] Error: Unable to read weather definition file ./weather.xml
[18:35:53, spells.c:253] Error: Unable to read spells definition file ./spells.xml: No such file or directory
[18:35:53, spells.c:260] Error: Unable to parse spells definition file ./spells.xml
[18:35:53, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file 'key.ini'.
[18:35:53, chat.c:1136] Error: Could not load a channel list from file. Using a limited built-in set instead.
[18:35:53, update.c:89] Error: Error: Can't open file "mirrors.lst": No such file or directory
[18:35:53, rules.c:145] Error: An error occured while reading the rules
[18:35:53, init.c:1029] Error: The rules.xml file was not found. You will have to redownload your game.
This was the program output:  Note it is overwritten each time you run the game.
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/console.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/errors.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/help.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/options.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/spells.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/stats.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/titles.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "mines.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "actor_defs/actor_defs.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/emotes.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "actor_defs/missile_defs.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "./weather.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "./spells.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/Encyclopedia/index.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/channels.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/channels.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/rules.xml"
A search through dmesg output:

I tried poor man etc, nothing worked.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall from Ubuntu, nothing changed.

Browsed the reported problem on this forum and found nothing matchnig...

Help me Obiwan, you're my last hope :D

Looks like your data files can't be found. As you're using the the launcher script I presume you installed using the Ubuntu packages? Was it working previously? Make sure your data_dir in ~/.elc/main/el.ini points at the data directory (the launcher script should check and correct anyway). If that is OK, try reinstalling the data package eternallands-data.

Guest Ping

Thanks bluap for your answer.

data_dir seems to be ok:

#data_dir = /usr/share/games/EternalLands

The directory exists. It belongs to root, no idea wether this is normal or not. Maybe this could be a reason why the files can't be accessed ?

At the moment I am launching via EL icon in Ubuntu Programs/Games (at least I guess it's its english name) menu that has been installed with Ubunutu package.

Previous install was via the script, but its started to crash at launch on sunday, that's why I reinstalled.

To be continued :D

That data_dir and ownership is as it should be if installed from the Ubuntu packages. So does it work OK now after reinstalling?

Guest Ping

Hi !

I disinstalled and reinstalled from Ubuntu menu any nothing seems to be changed:

Oh my, Eternal Lands Crashed - Don't Panic!
A few of things you can try:
1) Make sure your system is up to date, especially your video drivers.
2) If the client crashes repeatedly, try changing some settings.  Either by directly modifying the configuration file (e.g. gedit ~/.elc/main/el.ini). Or clicking the settings button window at the login screen.
i) Enable the "Poor Man" option in the "Details" tab of the setting window.  Or edit the configuration file and set "#poor_man=1".
ii) Disable the "Use animation program" option in the "Adv Video" tab of the setting window.  Or edit the configuration file and set "#use_animation_program=0".
If you continue to have problems check the Eternal Lands forums, especially the "Help Me" and "Bug Report" sections.  If you post a message make sure you include information about your system; i.e video driver and version, operating system and version.  Make sure you check your error log for clues too and include the contents in any forum report.
This information about your graphic hardware and software may help.
Output from "lspci | grep -i vga":
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GS] (rev a1)
Output from "glxinfo | head -5":
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
The following is your error log contents.  Note it is overwritten each time you run the game.
[17:09:06, engine/logging.cpp:310] Log started at: Thu May 17 17:09:06 2012 CEST
[17:09:06, engine/logging.cpp:313] version: 1.9.3
[17:09:07, translate.c:1763] Error: Could not read console.xml
[17:09:07, translate.c:1763] Error: Could not read errors.xml
[17:09:07, translate.c:1763] Error: Could not read help.xml
[17:09:07, translate.c:1763] Error: Could not read options.xml
[17:09:07, translate.c:1763] Error: Could not read spells.xml
[17:09:07, translate.c:1763] Error: Could not read stats.xml
[17:09:07, translate.c:1763] Error: Could not read titles.xml
[17:09:08, font.c:1433] Error: Unable to find any font textures
[17:09:08, interface.c:581] Error: Error: Can't open file "mapinfo.lst": No such file or directory
[17:09:08, image_loading.c:533] Error: File './textures/login_back' not found!
[17:09:08, textures.c:602] Error: Error loading image './textures/login_back'
[17:09:08, image_loading.c:533] Error: File 'textures/font' not found!
[17:09:08, textures.c:602] Error: Error loading image 'textures/font'
[17:09:08, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file './shaders/water_fs.glsl'.
[17:09:08]Last message repeated 3times
[17:09:08, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file './shaders/reflectiv_water_fs.glsl'.
[17:09:08, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file './shaders/water_fs.glsl'.
[17:09:08, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file './shaders/reflectiv_water_fs.glsl'.
[17:09:09]Last message repeated 3times
[17:09:09, io/elfilewrapper.c:309] Error: Can't load zip file /home/ping/.elc/unofficial_custom_clothes.zip
[17:09:09, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file 'shaders/anim.vert'.
[17:09:09, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file 'shaders/anim_depth.vert'.
[17:09:09, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file 'shaders/anim_shadow.vert'.
[17:09:09, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file 'shaders/anim_ghost.vert'.
[17:09:09, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file 'shaders/anim_ghost_shadow.vert'.
[17:09:09, cursors.c:59] Error: Error: Can't open file "harvestable.lst": No such file or directory
[17:09:09, cursors.c:98] Error: Error: Can't open file "entrable.lst": No such file or directory
[17:09:09, init.c:203] Error: Error: Can't open file "knowledge.lst": No such file or directory
[17:09:09, mines.c:213] Error: Error opening mines configuration file: mines.xml: No such file or directory
[17:09:09, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file 'textures/cursors.bmp'.
[17:09:09, cursors.c:138] Error: Error: Can't open cursors file. [textures/cursors.bmp]
[17:09:09, actor_scripts.c:4722] Error: Unable to read actor definition file actor_defs/actor_defs.xml
[17:09:09, actor_scripts.c:2791] Error: Unable to read emotes definition file /emotes.xml
[17:09:09, missiles.c:941] Error: Unable to read missiles definition file actor_defs/missile_defs.xml
[17:09:09, weather.c:966] Error: Unable to read weather definition file ./weather.xml
[17:09:09, spells.c:253] Error: Unable to read spells definition file ./spells.xml: No such file or directory
[17:09:09, spells.c:260] Error: Unable to parse spells definition file ./spells.xml
[17:09:09, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file 'key.ini'.
[17:09:09, chat.c:1136] Error: Could not load a channel list from file. Using a limited built-in set instead.
[17:09:09, update.c:89] Error: Error: Can't open file "mirrors.lst": No such file or directory
[17:09:09, rules.c:145] Error: An error occured while reading the rules
[17:09:09, init.c:1029] Error: The rules.xml file was not found. You will have to redownload your game.
This was the program output:  Note it is overwritten each time you run the game.
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "mines.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "actor_defs/actor_defs.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/emotes.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "actor_defs/missile_defs.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "./weather.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "./spells.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/Encyclopedia/index.xml"
A search through dmesg output:

Could you open a terminal and enter each of these commands, then copy/paste the output here.

id

ls -ld /usr/share/games/EternalLands/

ls -ld /usr/share/games/EternalLands/mapinfo.lst

ls -ld ~/.elc/

ls -ld ~/.elc/main/el.ini

grep -i "#data_dir" ~/.elc/main/el.ini

Guest Ping

Thank you bluap for your answer, the result of the commands below.

Could you open a terminal and enter each of these commands, then copy/paste the output here.

id

uid=1000(ping) gid=1000(ping) groupes=1000(ping),4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),46(plugdev),111(lpadmin),119(admin),122(sambashare)

ls -ld /usr/share/games/EternalLands/

drwxr-xr-x 15 root root 4096 2012-05-17 16:57 /usr/share/games/EternalLands/

ls -ld /usr/share/games/EternalLands/mapinfo.lst

-r--r--r-- 1 root root 10022 2007-11-03 19:18 /usr/share/games/EternalLands/mapinfo.lst

ls -ld ~/.elc/

drwxr-xr-x 5 ping ping 4096 2012-05-14 23:40 /home/ping/.elc/

ls -ld ~/.elc/main/el.ini

-rw------- 1 ping ping 17495 2012-05-12 02:07 /home/ping/.elc/main/el.ini

Nothing returned by command... I'm not fluent in grep so no idea what it was supposed to find out or not, still checked in el.ini and found:

Hopefuly it might help...

Thx again ;)

Nothing returned by command... I'm not fluent in grep so no idea what it was supposed to find out or not, still checked in el.ini and found:

If you ran the command as specified, it would have returned your #data_dir setting. The result should have been exactly as you found by checking manually. Where was the el.ini file that you found that setting? Everything else looks fine.

Edited by bluap

Guest Ping

If you ran the command as specified, it would have returned your #data_dir setting. The result should have been exactly as you found by checking manually. Where was the el.ini file that you found that setting? Everything else looks fine.

That's hopefuly what I did, but as you mentioned I didn't manualy check the right file (the one I checked was in ~/.elc, not ~/.elc/main). As a matter of fact, the file in ~/.elc/main was "unreadable" with text editor (only strange characters). So I just copied the (supposedly) correct one from .elc in .elc/main and it WORKS ! \o/

Thank you very much for your patience and this awesome analysis ;)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.