Eternal Lands Official Forums
Shyznu

FYI - another crash on start resolved - permissions problem

I thought I'd post this with a big thanks to Blakkat for helping me troubleshoot in game, just in case it can help someone else:

Issue - game installs but after boot screen crashes. poor man settings and all other tricks did not work.

System Info:

Asus N53SV Laptop

Intel i7 Quad core

nVidia Optimus discreet (intel/nVidia Combo)

4gb ram, 500gb hd,

OS: Linux Mint Lisa (12) (based off ubuntu but with improvements and better compatibility with debian packages)

Note: Ironhide installed flawlessly and ran other 3d programs with no problem. tried with and without ironhide, same problem. (can use some 3d without ironhide but very choppy, EL is one of those)

Install Method:

Tried both the ubuntu and debian repositories listed here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EternalLands

Then tried the testing repositories that helped with blakkat's original issue listed here:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56125&st=0&p=558274&hl=crash%20testing&fromsearch=1entry558274

none of the above resolved the problem.

Was getting prepared to try a build from git (manual compile) when we did what I SHOULD have done from the very start, READ the error log. I mean actually READ the thing, not skim through. what I noticed was a whole lot of "permission denied" errors.

So I did a quick test in the command line "sudo chmod 755 -R /usr/share/games/EternalLands" and then tried to open the client. suddenly it works like a dream.

So, the moral of this story, besides the permissions not being set on install, is READ BEFORE YOU ACT. It just might save you some grief.

This could be an issue for several that can easily be resolved, Since these same packages work fine with other set ups I could not say WHY this was an issue for me. Perhaps it's got something to do with the distro. I wouldn't think it has anything to do with the hardware. I don't think install woulwd check hardware before setting permissions. But in any event. It works.

Now my only issue with EL is trying to get the mini-map to work right with this nVidia Optimus stuff. Got the latest configs from ironhide and still doesn't keep the map within the confines of the ring. BUT, I'm hearing that is a thing with the optirun drivers. so don't know what else to do. works ok with the intel but not the nVidia. but intel is choppy. But I digress.

Thanks again, Blakkat.

Hope this helps someone else some how.

Edited by Shyznu

Very strange. The Ubuntu & Debian packages "chown -R root:root ." and "chmod -R a=rX ." the files so all should be fine. Did you notice if it was the entire directory tree that was not set correctly or just the /usr/share/games/EternalLands directory? I've just done a completely fresh install and eveything is set how it should be.

Edited by bluap

Very strange. The Ubuntu & Debian packages "chown -R root:root ." and "chmod -R a=rX ." the files so all should be fine. Did you notice if it was the entire directory tree that was not set correctly or just the /usr/share/games/EternalLands directory? I've just done a completely fresh install and eveything is set how it should be.

No, sorry. I looked for an error log because I thought after the fact, to post it here but I can't find it. If I do I'll post the contents and you can see.

No, sorry. I looked for an error log because I thought after the fact, to post it here but I can't find it. If I do I'll post the contents and you can see.

I have read through all the logs I can find in folder and I cannot find anything that resembles what I read before. so my guess is that the log got over written with restart of the game.

I am leary of duplicating the environment that caused the problems, simply because everything is working so well now I am afraid I'd mess something up.

But if I do a reinstall I will definitely copy and paste the error for consideration.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.