Eternal Lands Official Forums
Feromor

What Additions Should Be Made To The Magic Skill?

If there is such a disparity between magic and fighting, there could be some merit in a map which is pk, but where you are restricted only to magic, ranging (magical arrows/bolts) and engineering.

I always thought having a spell that's kinda like the poison spell, but gives the mage a "pulsing" heal instead would be cool.

In addition to that, something like an antidote spell would be interesting. Some may say that this will cause a unbalanced relationship between potions and magic, but I think such a spell would complement each skill nicely. Potions have a quicker effect, though a higher cool down, in some cases, and do not draw on the user's immediate resources (hp, mp, reagents, etc). However, a spell may fail once or twice before casting and draws on the caster's immediate resources.

If there is such a disparity between magic and fighting, there could be some merit in a map which is pk, but where you are restricted only to magic, ranging (magical arrows/bolts) and engineering.

That sounds neat. The only place that is meant for magic pvp is the Tarsengard Magic School, but that place is kinda small. If we could get an arena for magic pk/pvp in somewhere like DP (All that empty desert is going to waste) that would be cool. But what would stop warrior types from using it? High penalties on fighting effectiveness?

For anyone thinking that mages suck, take a look at Wizzy. He is a mage and a successful one at that.

As for Lexi's pulsing heal spell, that would be interesting. I imagine it would greatly change a/d training.

For anyone thinking that mages suck, take a look at Wizzy. He is a mage and a successful one at that.

As for Lexi's pulsing heal spell, that would be interesting. I imagine it would greatly change a/d training

Fair enough. Wizzy, I note how you mentioned 150dmg harm spells, but how effective would you say magic is in combat for the average joe magician? And do you think there should be improvements to the skill? Do you think magic should be expanded to more domestic uses?

Could you please elaborate, Nathanstenzel, on how specifically it would affect a/d training. I imagine that you mean casting the spell beforehand, entering combat, and then healing as you fight. Perhaps this spell would only work when the caster is poisoned?

As for Lexi's pulsing heal spell, that would be interesting. I imagine it would greatly change a/d training

Fair enough. Wizzy, I note how you mentioned 150dmg harm spells, but how effective would you say magic is in combat for the average joe magician? And do you think there should be improvements to the skill? Do you think magic should be expanded to more domestic uses?

Could you please elaborate, Nathanstenzel, on how specifically it would affect a/d training. I imagine that you mean casting the spell beforehand, entering combat, and then healing as you fight. Perhaps this spell would only work when the caster is poisoned?

Yes to the underlined text. Of course, the person could also cast the spell while fighting too unless it was not made possible.

Edited by nathanstenzel

Maybe some addition could be...

1. Teleportation? (not sure how that would affect rings)(Not usable while in combat)

2. Heal in range (like maybe a few squares)

3. maybe like a temporary absorb damage x% spell (could cancel out shield spell?)

How do these sound?

1. Teleportation? (not sure how that would affect rings)(Not usable while in combat)

3. maybe like a temporary absorb damage x% spell (could cancel out shield spell?)

How do these sound?

1. We have teleportation, 3 variations. a)Teleport to range, which is teleport a certain distance away, B) teleport to portals room, which is teleporting to the portals room of the continent you are on, c) Intercontinental Teleport to Portals Room, which tele's you to the other continents portal room, ie if you are on c1, you go to c2 portals and vice versa.

2) possible, but if you are fighting you would heal the enemy as well as it wouldn't beable to tell friendlies apart from enemeies, unless they implemented a party system, ie 5-6 player maximum party(instances ect.), and spell only affects those players within a certain radius, say 5-6 steps

3) absorb damage spell would be a bit unbalanced, as it would replace mirror skin, which alread reflects damage at a low % chance, and if it corresponded to level, higher level magic characters would easily dominate. So would be a no go on this one in my opinion.

How do these sound?

1. We have teleportation, 3 variations. a)Teleport to range, which is teleport a certain distance away, B) teleport to portals room, which is teleporting to the portals room of the continent you are on, c) Intercontinental Teleport to Portals Room, which tele's you to the other continents portal room, ie if you are on c1, you go to c2 portals and vice versa.

2) possible, but if you are fighting you would heal the enemy as well as it wouldn't beable to tell friendlies apart from enemeies, unless they implemented a party system, ie 5-6 player maximum party(instances ect.), and spell only affects those players within a certain radius, say 5-6 steps

3) absorb damage spell would be a bit unbalanced, as it would replace mirror skin, which alread reflects damage at a low % chance, and if it corresponded to level, higher level magic characters would easily dominate. So would be a no go on this one in my opinion.

I had no idea about all that stuff in #1. Sorry. and yes, your point in #3 is very logical. absorb damage spell really wouldnt be too useful.

The only other spell that I think might be useful on the topic of teleportation is a "teleport other" spell which would teleport a person to you. This would be similar to the mod power and they could decline the offer.

1. you cast it

2. a dialogue box pops up for you to type in the person's name

3. you type in the name and click finish (or cancel which would abort the spell)

4. It would pop up a dialogue box stating your position to the person you wish to teleport and asking them if they wish to grab your hand to join you there.

5. If they accept, they are teleported to you.

Visual affects could include a hand showing through a disc of light. This could be something that would be added much after the spell is put into effect. The usual teleport effects would probably do just fine.

good idea, but idk nathan. what if someone keeps spamming the spell on you. and its kin do flike cheat, for example if someone high level gets someplace for you then casts the spell... its handy, but i dont think it would be good gameplay wise.

The only other spell that I think might be useful on the topic of teleportation is a "teleport other" spell which would teleport a person to you. This would be similar to the mod power and they could decline the offer.

1. you cast it

2. a dialogue box pops up for you to type in the person's name

3. you type in the name and click finish (or cancel which would abort the spell)

4. It would pop up a dialogue box stating your position to the person you wish to teleport and asking them if they wish to grab your hand to join you there.

5. If they accept, they are teleported to you.

Visual affects could include a hand showing through a disc of light. This could be something that would be added much after the spell is put into effect. The usual teleport effects would probably do just fine.

A combat adaption of this spell might be 'teleport away'. Casting this spell on an opponent would send them to a random location 5-15 squares away. Probably would not work in pk, though.