Eternal Lands Official Forums
Goot

How to correctly interpret Astro Indicators?

I have been searching for a solid explanation on how to correctly interpret the information given by astrology indicators, but finding none. This is how it works, to my understanding, and i will use Make Rare/Fail indicator as my example. I have been told my interpretation is wrong, so if anyone can clear this up it would be helpful not only to me, but to many others i'm sure :devlish:

Photobucket will not let me upload pictures for some reason, so i drew a diagram. The ||||| under make rare and failure indicate Green bars.

__________Astrology ________

Make rare/failure indicator

Make Rare: -208

-|--------------|||||----------|+

Failure: -6

-|--------------|||||||||||----|+

As i understand it, the chance to make rare or fail is 1 in X. The astrology modifiers either reduce or increase the amount X.

In this example, Make Rare has a modifier of -208, and is indicated with a green bar in the + side of the bar. This means X is reduced, meaning better chance to make rare. So here, a green bar is GOOD.

Now, in this example Failure has a modifier of -6, also indicated with a green bar (+). Again this means X is reduced, meaning your chance to fail is increased. So here, a green bar is BAD.

So as i understand it, Green (in the + side of the bar) means the chance of either Make Rare or Fail is higher, and

Orange (in the - side of the bar) means the chance of either Make Rare or Fail is lower.

To put it simply, Make Rare in the Green is good, and Fail in the Orange is good.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, with a clear explanation? :medieval:

One thing that helps is if you left-click on the astro window and "Print details to console" (or something close to that) and make use of the text descriptions.

generally green is good, red is bad, which means (posting the texts which were referred to):

1) Make rare/failure indicator

Make rare: 696 (the lower, the better; positive is penalty)

Failure: 6 (the lower, the better)

2) Harvest events inc./degrade indicator

Harvest Events Increase: -75 (the higher, the more events)

Degrade: -850 (the higher, the less chance to break)

in my example here all bars are on the red side.

Harvest events is the only astro where the green=good rule is debatable, because green means more events which is good if you are after stones, but bad if you want to harvest with few interruptions/breakages.

HTH

For failure - it is the chance to fail that is given - therefore a -6 means that you are less likely to fail - so green is definitely good :)

For make rare I'm fairly sure you're correct and X would probably be 10k.

For failure the -6 would be a modifier to failure, I'd guess a percentage, so -6 would give you a lower chance of failure. This is similar to a/d which gives the actual value of the change to a/d, +4 is equivelent to an increase of 4 levels.

Another one that differs is harvest which is a modifier to the top part of the fraction. Therefore a -75 harvest increase would decrease your harvest event rate by 75/X.

Hope this helps and my info is correct :)

Ok, I try myself in this. Astrology in EL is a science in itself filling pages. So prepare for a rather

lengthy post, on the other hand, don't blame me, since some ppl asked for it. If you are too lazy to

wade through it, just take sceptic perk wink.gif

Disclaimer: The author of this post won't be held responsible for any inconsistencies and thus

not be burned on a pyre if some appear cheesy.gif Also I have to refresh my mind on some

numbers/figures, I do this from memory atm, and will look up some things soon and edit this

post accordingly later.

Preliminary notes: Astrology in EL goes in approx. cycles of 48 RL hour. The curve resembles a

bit of a sinus curve because the min/max points are rather short. Green bars are generally

good for you, red bars on the other hand bad (with exceptions to certain player needs ofc).

Child of Stars effects three astro types. Those are Harvest astro, make rare astro and failure astro.

The astro cycles won't contain red states anymore. So whenever you should have red astro

normally, it just will remain neutral. It's like cutting off the lower sinus part of the curve and replacing

it with a zero flat line.

And here we go.

1. Harvest/Degrade indicators

a. Harvest event modifier ranges from -90 to +90. This applies to the frequency of regular

harv events (mini events not counted into these). So a green bar gives you more events, this

results in more damage and interruptions, but also increases the chance for you to find a

stone (esp. when combined with the "Increased harvesting events" day). A red bar decreases

the event rate. This is very good, when you want to protect your precious harvmeds. Wear

them now, since your chance of losing them is much lower than normal.

Note 1: There is no guarantee to find a stone even if you have max green astro AND the

mentioned special day combined.

Note 2: Breakage of harvmeds only is related to events (and the frequency of those) and NOT

to the following explanation of degrading (astro) effects.

Child of Stars effect: No more red astro here. That means whenever you enter a red cycle

here, the astro will remain neutral.

b. Degrade modifer ranges for -900 to +900. This applies to the breakage of any item worn

during melee combat AND tools being used to create items (like m&p, ring/med molds etc.). A

green bar lowers the chance for item to break, a red bar increases it.

Example: Let's say an item has a chance of 1/10000 to degrade (or break). A full green bar

lowers the chance for breakage to 1/10900, a full red one increases it to 1/9100. Wearing NMT

(or having the perk) gives a factor of 4 which is applied to the modified chance to degrade for

equipped items. In the above example, the chance to break would be 1/43600 with a nice full

green bar and 1/36400 with a red bar.

2. A/D indicators

a. Attack modifier is dependant on your actual attack skill value. For every 20 attack levels you

gain -1/+1 in attack modifier range. So, if you have let's say an attack skill between 120-139, the

range is -6 to +6. This directly applies to your attack skill. A green bar will give you the benefit

of a higher attack value, a red bar will lower your attack power. The green bar can be compared

with using an attack potion but lasting much longer. You can also combine it with drinking one ofc.

Note: Higher or lower attack values resulting from astro won't influence the xp you gain in

contrast to the use of attack potions.

b. Defense modifier is dependant on your actual defense skill value. For every 20 defense levels

you gain -1/+1 in defense modifier range. So, if you have let's say an defense skill between 120-139,

the range is -6 to +6. All I said about the attack modifier applies here as well (incl. the notes), but this

time defense skill is in focus instead of attack skill.

Note 1: Higher or lower defense values resulting from astro won't influence the xp you gain in

contrast to the use of defense potions.

Note 2: A defense modifier won't change your defense ignore value of aggressive critters in any

way. So, if you just hit the defense ignore level of a critter, a red (negative) defense modifier

won't let it attack you again. Also a green (positive) defense modifier won't allow you to

bypass an aggressive critter which you were close to be ignored by with your natural defense

level.

3. Criticals indicators

a. Critical to hit modifier ranges from -8 to +8. This applies to your chance to hit a creature

in melee comabt critically. A green bar increases your chances, a red bar decreases it. Knowing

your astro here can be very useful when it comes to training a/d. A thoughtful trainer will

adapt his weapon choice to his astro if possible. A nice green modifier can result in choosing a

lower (less expensive) weapon for training with same hit/kill results than choosing your

"normal" weapon. On the other hand, you may find it difficult to train your creature when this

bar reaches red figures. Perhaps you need to compensate it with a better weapon or other

means of strenghtening yourself.

b. Critical to damage modifier ranges from -8 to +8. All I said about critical to hit modifiers,

applies here as well. A green bar is good for dealing out more critical damage in melee combat

(nice for invances/invasions etc.), a red bar lowers the critical damage you make in melee

combat.

4. Accuracy/Magic indicators

a. Accuracy modifier ranges from -6 to +6. This applies to the accuracy for hitting a creature in

melee combat. A green bar increases the accuracy, a red bar decreases it. Again this may

influence your training. If you have green astro here and feel comfortable with hit rates, you

may try to wear a uni med to increase your defense by 4. If a red astro makes it harder for

you to train a creature, because you miss a lot, try to compensate that by using a moon med

(+4 accuracy and armor).

b. Magic modifier ranges from -9 to +9. This applies directly to your magic skill. A green bar will

make you a stronger mage, because some spells are increased in strength (not duration), a

red bar with a negative value will result in lowerpowered spells.

Example: The restore spell can give you up to 18HP more per restore with max green astro or

if you are unlucky, you restore up to 18HP less than normal.

Note 1: The magic modifier DOESN'T influence the required magic level to be able to cast a

spell at all.

For example: You have a magic level of 35 and you have a green (positive) modifier of +7, so

in theory you have magic level 42, but still you won't be able to cast MD (required level of 40).

The same applies to the red (negative) modifier as well: Your char will still be able to cast MD,

with a natural magic level of 45 and a negative modifier of let's say -7. This is in contrast when

looking at the use of magic pots. Magic 35 and a potion is enough to cast MD (at least for a

short while).

Note 2: The magic modifier also DOESN'T affect the failsafe level of a spell. The failsafe level of

a spell is calculated like this: (Magic level required to cast spell) + 28.

Example: Casting MD needs level 40, so at level 68 you will never fail it again, regardless of a

negative modifier.

5. Make rare/Failure indicators (*make rare numbers/arti percentage need verifying...*)

a. Make rare modifier ranges from +800 to -800 (?). This value applies to your chance to

create a rare item instead of the standard one (a GHP instead of a BR for example). If you

understood the degrade astro thing, then this one is easy for you, since it follows the same

pattern. A green bar increases the chance to create rare items, a red bar lowers it.

Example: Let's say an item has a chance of 1/10000 to be created (It's pretty common

knowledge that creating an EFE has this chance). A full green bar increases the chance for

creating 1 EFE from 1/10000 to 1/9200, a full negative red bar lowers the chance to 1/10800.

Wearing an Artificer cape (or having the perk) gives a bonus of approx. 30% (?) for creating a

special (rare) item and is applied to the modified chance. So taking the above example of

creating an EFE while mixing FE and wearing that cape, the chance can increase up to 1/6440

with a full green bar.

Child of Stars effect: No more red astro here. That means whenever you enter a red cycle

b. Failure modifier ranges from +9 to -9. This is the most important astro value for mixers, esp.

when attempting high level items, as this modifier applies directly to all mixing skills (ALC, POT

etc.). A green bar with positive numbers is good, since you will (crit) fail less items. A red bar

isn't that nice, since you have a higher failure rate, perhaps not so notable when creating

items you are well above the recommended level anyway. Don't get confused, when you see a

negative number though your bar is green and vice versa, it still is correct. This modifier stacks

with potion effects (like I mentioned in the A/D indicator section) or god blessings.

Example: Your natural manu level is 50, with max green astro of -9 and the use of a manu

pot, it can go temporarily up to 64 (50+9+5), or even better: combine your good astro with a

blessing to reach level 67 even (50+9+8).

Well, that's all. I hope I clarified understanding astro a bit more. See you in EL.

Comments welcome

Edit: added Child of Stars effects

Edited by Raistlin

a. Attack modifier ranges from -6 to +6.... b. Defense modifer ranges from -6 to +6.

It's 1 a/d per 20 levels; it's +/-6 for you because you are between 120-140 a/d.

Yes, malameo already pointed me to this. Confirmed with some testing on other chars.

Will modify my post. Tyvm for hinting.

Things left to do:

1. Check min/max for make rare

2. Check/confirm bonus percentage of arti cape

3. Revamp acc modifier a bit, I got hints from malameo and saw on old screenies, that this might be related to a/d level and/or other stats as well

Feel free to send me any info regarding this.

Edited by Raistlin