Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LilBear

Buy-back for colored fabric?

I am posting this question here as opposed to "suggestions" because it's really a question, not a suggestion. Are there any plans for the future to ever have an NPC that buys back colored fabric? Maybe it could buy in large quantities only, like one thousand at a time to prevent someone from selling back every 17 fabric they make.

Tailoring was designed as a money sink, understood and ackknowledged. However, lately I find my personal motivation to keep leveling dissipating. There seems to be little point in making thousands more fabric that will end up sitting around in storage, especially since it costs a lot of money to make those fabric. If the remaining tunics, hood, and santa hat are somewhere between levels 69 and 90, I'll be ok at my level 61. I'll have a ton of crit fails, but so what, since there is nothing else I can do with the fabrics anyway. And once those formulas are out, and people have bought their clothes, there will be a very small market for tailoring. So then I'll sit on tenths of thousands of colored fabrics... and nothing to do with them. I know I can level by making dye and sell it at a loss to the NPC, but frankly, at this point I'd rather buy the dye from the NPC, make the fabric and sell the fabric at a loss to the NPC. :) An acceptable "at a loss" price would be something like 100 gc for the plant-based colors/fabric and 150 gc for black/brown fabric. That is quite a bit below ing cost (which depending on how you calculate to me is somewhere between 147-237 gc and that calculation puts flowers, food, and wes at zero gc). Anyway. Now I'm turning this into a suggestion after all. The details are obviously up to Entropy, but... is there any plan at all to make colored fabric an NPC buy-back in the future? :P

lilcnoot

I would say it all depends if there are any future plans for tailoring: Will new items be introduced, and I dont mean just new HIGH level items but new mid levels ones as well such as boots etc.

If the answer is no.. then yes a NPC is a good idea and even if its " Yes, new items are planned" then Maybe an NPC like Trik that buys the finished products would help..

Note: I dont tailor that much, but I think it has added a great deal to the look of the game, and I would hate it to just stop with Hoods

Edited by conavar

Not sure if there will be any NPC to buy clothes. If we do that, a lot of people would train tailoring.
If we make an NPC, the NPC will only buy non finished products (such as fabric and dyes). The idea is that you should level up making only those items, not level up doing the high level items. This way, the high level items would be made only to sell to other players, and if you make too many of them you'll be cutting your own price.

(from http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37958 )

Personally I'm fine with the current situation right now. If for example the hood will have a very high level, it can be a problem to get there but we will eventually.

Tailoring was supposed to be different, and difficult. If there would be an NPC to buy more than we already can now, it will just be the next skill. Grinding the most 'efficient' thing just to level more simply isn't what would make me enjoy tailoring. After grinding tons of Glacmor rings to sell to NPC, I'm actually glad this is different.

If my levels are enough to make the items, fine. THen I don't necessarily need more levels or to be the 'best'. I'll just make more when needed. And if I want to level more anyway, then I'll just have more fabrics in sto. Experience taught me that some day you'll run out again anyway :hug:. And if I need gc, I can do other skills to earn it.

It was meant to be a skill for only a few, dedicated people. No need to try to make it easier and like all others imo. If you don't like it, don't do it.

Edit for clarity: the quotes were mostly in response to conavar's post mentioning an NPC who'd buy finished products. I realize lil's suggestion wasn't about those. Still, I think having the dyes and white fabrics sellable to npc is actually more than I expected in the beginning already.

Edited by molime

Just to clarify - I'm not complaining. I'm simply trying to make a decision for myself whether I want to continue tailoring or not. If there is a chance that maybe in the future an NPC might buy back colored fabric, I probably will (and I suggested the buy back in high quantities for a reason, and you don't have to carry it there either, plenty of quests take things directly out of your storage). If the answer is a resounding "no" then I'll probably stop, at least for a while, exactly because I don't want it to become a skill where I "grind away" just to get a meaningless level. I actually don't care either about my level number or even my ranking. -Private- was rank 1 for a while, and it didn't bother me at all. In fact, I was happy for her :D It would just help me knowing the answer to my question to make my plans on what to devote my main energies to in EL.

lilcnoot

Edit: And I have no desire to level by making any of the clothes. Dye and colored fabric are definitely the way to go. I get 36 points for every blue dye (which is sort of the "best" by availability of ings/cost/experience) so at close to 300k exp till my next level that's a lot of BSF. Colored fabric gives much better exp, so it's preferable to level on (and still plenty hard considering the AEs needed). Just a question of strategy, including whether leveling is even still needed.

Edited by LilBear

I don't think we should be able to sell our fabrics to an NPC. I started this skill because I knew that few people would have the stamina to get to the top. By making fabrics sellable to an NPC it'll make it too easy to level and there will be no market for clothing since everyone will just make their own. I say keep things the way they are.

I would, however, like to see more clothes (low, mid and high level) added at some point in the future. There are lots of possibilities that can be explored :)

If there was an NPC to buy clothes and hats, the tailors could sell coloured fabrics to people who can make the finished products as some of those might not want to make dyes and fabrics themselves as it can be time-consuming. I think this would be a good solution if enough people are going to make clothes and hats.

If there was an NPC to buy clothes and hats, the tailors could sell coloured fabrics to people who can make the finished products as some of those might not want to make dyes and fabrics themselves as it can be time-consuming. I think this would be a good solution if enough people are going to make clothes and hats.

Well if an NPC was buying hats, why would anyone sell fabric and dye? Wouldn't everyone just make the hats themselves and sell to the NPC? I agree with molime & Theladin. I think an NPC who buys tailoring items is a bad idea. No, leveling tailoring is not easy and not cheap, thats why only a few of us do it.

From Radu's Blog:

Anyway, this skill will be very difficult to implement properly. Why? Because the idea of the nice clothes is that they have to be EXPENSIVE, or else everyone has them and they are not rare anymore.

Imagine everyone was able to make clothes, who would be stupid to buy them?

Now, imagine everyone had to do 500 shirts a day just to get more experience in order to make suits. The shorts would not be very valuble on the market, would they?

So the idea is that people should be able to level this skill without actually making [many] clothes. One way is to add a lot of low level resources to the game, such as fabric and dyes. So the low level tailors would just make fabric and dyes, until they reach level 30 or so. Making those things will be time consuming, so many people will not take the skill, leaving only a few selected, dedicated people to do most of the clothing in the game, which they can sell for a lot of gold coins.

If buyers & sellers can agree on prices/ranges for each colored fabric, I'm willing to add that to Tailor to be a middleman to help this.

Nice offer that the community will have to work on.

I have one tiny snag: orange fabric has absolutely no use except rotting away in storage :blush: I wish, but am not asking for, that at least that one would be bought by NPC or used in somehing (shirts for dutch socker fans?)

Mixi

Nice offer that the community will have to work on.

I have one tiny snag: orange fabric has absolutely no use except rotting away in storage :rolleyes: I wish, but am not asking for, that at least that one would be bought by NPC or used in somehing (shirts for dutch socker fans?)

Mixi

I would guess that since the universal hood changes color it will have all colors of fabric in it. Maybe we could convince the powers that be to give us one more tunic color. Orange & white fabric together could make a pretty peach colored tunic. I have over 1k orange fabrics in storage also. I still make orange dye I just sell it to the NPC instead of dying fabric with it now. Yeah it's tedious and I lose about 3gc per dye, but I always expected that this skill would be hard.

As far as having bots buying and selling colored fabric, I wouldn't sell any fabrics because I know I'll use them all someday, and I would only buy them if it was a really good deal. I'd rather make them myself and get the xp for it.

I agree that we need something to make with the orange fabrics. Even with the universal hood I don't see a reason to have orange fabric used since none of cloaks that it needs to match are orange. Seems to be a useless color at the moment.

If buyers & sellers can agree on prices/ranges for each colored fabric, I'm willing to add that to Tailor to be a middleman to help this.

I think it'll be a while before anyone wants to buy colored fabrics. I know I wouldn't waste money buying colored fabrics when I can get the exp dying my own. Dyes, however, are another story. If players sold dyes for less than the NPC then I'd gladly buy them.

Edited by Theladin

I agree that we need something to make with the orange fabrics. Even with the universal hood I don't see a reason to have orange fabric used since none of cloaks that it needs to match are orange. Seems to be a useless color at the moment.

I think it'll be a while before anyone wants to buy colored fabrics. I know I wouldn't waste money buying colored fabrics when I can get the exp dying my own. Dyes, however, are another story. If players sold dyes for less than the NPC then I'd gladly buy them.

Yes, same things applies to dies and any other Tailoring ingredient. If the buyers and sellers can give me reasonable buy/sell prices I can have Tailor help with their transactions when they don't sell to each other directly. That is her job after all :medieval: