Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dunian

Newbie to Potion making?

Since I've come to EL, I've been mostly an alchemist (73, but I'm hoping to expand a little into Potion making. I was wondering if yall had any advice as in what to make to level, and what to make to get gc?

atm I'm level 24, with Veggie 1 Nexus

Problem is to get a level so you CAN make SRS.

Save all the fur you get and make pots of them, I guess it's the only way.

And there are potion of potions you can use if you don't want to fail too much.

Srs are great but for a while i used cord pots i think first 25 levels i got were off cord pots and a few srs, now im level 40 :P But magic potions are good exp if you can afford the rubies and rat tails and judging by your alch level you should be able to :P

Coord Pots, in Potion School, with will potion = ~75 exp per, and they are cheap to make, if you make your own vials, and wine is 1gc, so its cheap, and deer furs aint alot either, and only 2 nexus.

Problem is to get a level so you CAN make SRS.

Save all the fur you get and make pots of them, I guess it's the only way.

And there are potion of potions you can use if you don't want to fail too much.

If you've got some gc to throw away, you can start with SRs at around potion level 15. You will fail many, but level fairly fast anyway.

If you don't want to spend 4 pps on veg nexus, defense & coord potions might be worth it, ingredients for the other low level potions are too expensive imo.

I still have 800 powders... from before.. man.. that's 2400 bones I watsed back in the day :D

It's too bad the NPC wont sell powder.. I am NOT gonna mix my bones into powder :P

#edit; How I leveled Potions

Lets see....

1-6 Mana pots and Healing Pots

7-11 Reasoning pots

12-18 Mana pots (during magic training, I just made these, so I got pot and mag exp atst)

18-22 Mostly Cord pots, but I made like 100 SRs

23-27 I am currently at 27 in pots, I have made a few cord pots, but mosting SRs now.

If you harvest everything yourself for SRs then the only gc you're spending is the vial+wine (about 5-7gc depending how you buy your items). Yes, as posted above, if you have some gc to waste, you could try leveling SRs early, but I warn you, at 18-22 pot level i was failing 25-28% on the potions (that's only counting crits).

Edited by Lexi

Why are SRs mentioned so much and BRs aren't?

They are very similar ingredients, and EMU total, and BRs give you a little more XP.

They are very similar ingredients, and EMU total, and BRs give you a little more XP.

Not many use BRs.

I started potioning with mana and minor healing pots. Once I got to the point where I could make reasoning pots, I stayed on them till I could make srs and brs.

I never had to buy bones and this was before vials disappeared after using them. I would mix up 50 reasoning pots in Grahm's village at sto, walk to Mira to sell them and buy feasting pots to use for alching. I'd then take the empties to make more reasonings. Rinse, repeat.

Once I was able to make srs and brs, I mixed them for my own use till I got fairly decent with them. After a bit, I would mix up a few 1k at a time and sell them whenever I was low on cash.

I'm at potion 62 now and mix only srs for myself and others or p/c/a/d pots for my own use.

I still believe reasoning pots are a good way to make levels. Don't buy bones, just keep the bones you get from killing creatures, especially if your around the level for killing skeletons. If you get low, wander IP for a few minutes to gather up bones that newbies leave laying around.

I never had to buy bones and this was before vials disappeared after using them. I would mix up 50 reasoning pots in Grahm's village at sto, walk to Mira to sell them and buy feasting pots to use for alching. I'd then take the empties to make more reasonings. Rinse, repeat.

I did this too :)

I still believe reasoning pots are a good way to make levels. Don't buy bones, just keep the bones you get from killing creatures, especially if your around the level for killing skeletons. If you get low, wander IP for a few minutes to gather up bones that newbies leave laying around.

i thnk the only reasonwe don't do this anymore is for those who eat them (me for example) couldn't BARE to think about mixing them to powders, and those who don't eat them would be losing out on gc.

But if you're gonna waste gc anyway on the SRs, maybe the res pots arn't so bad.

I think that you should just go for it with SR if you have the PP available to spend on vegetal.

I decided to level potions from 22 using SR about 3 months ago. It was painful for crit fails until about pot 30 - around 5 in 100. after that level, crits fell to average of 1 in 100 for me. Now I'm at 60 and have done a lot of other things in the intervening time along with the pot mixing but I still make them by the k for both exp and gc value. I tend to buy blue quartz now though as harvesting large amounts of it is painful in the extreme, especially if you have just hauled 10k vials from closca.

If you don't have the PP spare to spend on vegetal, disregard this post :D

EDIT: Typo and error

Edited by Matty27

when u fight critters that drop bones, make reasoning and drink them... u get extra exp in a/d and dont have to run so often to drop off bones at sto.

Edited by mortsllehm

Two words: market value.

SR's are a high-demand item. You can easily sell 1K of them on the market channel, and you can usually find half a dozen bots that will buy them in 100-500 qty. So with SR's, you not only get the exp from making them, you get the GC from selling them.

In contrast, BR's are a very low-demand item. Trying to sell 1K of the on market channel is nearly impossible, and I've yet to see a bot that will buy them at all.

So while BR's are slightly better exp, SR's are both good exp and *profitable*. For most players, that's a combination that's hard to beat.

I think this thread could do with a little update.

BR Pots are stackable AND weigh only 1 EMU. If you can mix them without too many crits, you can make better profit off them than by mixing and selling SRs on market.

NPC pays 15gc each for a BR potion, while on market, more and more people try to pay no more than 14gc each for their SRs.

All in all the difference between the two isn't all that large, but BRs ARE a good option now. Demand on market is irrelevant when NPC pays more right?

Agreed with Dilly. There's two downsides to BR's however:

- They mix irregular, because they have 11 food (5 first, 4 next) and on long sits (2400+), the waiting for feast cool down can get annoying. This is primarily a mental issue.

- Sunflowers are single picks and used in LE, so of the 2gc more that NPC pays .5-.75 will already go to sunflowers and a little less than .5gc to extra food.

So, another nice trick to consider especially if you have your mule levelled, is to change SRs made 1:1 into feasts at NPC and sell part of the feasts @ 14 - they sell quicker then SR and are always needed. If you power level, selling SRs on market is only interesting @ 16gc+ or when you have a steady customer / pre ordered batches. Otherwise, it's just tied up coin in storage, that can easily be run to NPC. The 3 extra gc means you can buy an extra set of ingredients each 3k product, which allows you to keep mixing even if selling sometimes takes a bit longer.

P.S: for newbies, avoid the bone powders. It is easy to break 4-5 M&P's for just 300 bone power and all your profit is gone already even if you don't crit fail. Especially when new, it's hard to recover from this, as vials and M&P's are a big enough investment. Selling those 900 bones allows you to focus on the better pots: coord, wildness and vitality. Vitality can usually be skipped in favor of SR, but if your a/d is around puma by then anyway, it's a nice one to make.

I think potion is nice supporting skill, esp. for newcomers who are encouraged enough to kill also many animals by their a/d training.

But for sure it can be interesting for anyone, the stronger characters will need just more patience at the start with furs/bones collecting etc. :P

I would listen to RallosZek's advice (previous post), don't make potions which require bones (reasoning, physique, defense) - for reasons he wrote, I agree with him: if you are not bone eater, you can still sell them with much better profit than in form of a potion and m&p's are breaking deadly fast to ruin you.

Paradoxically, these seem to be exact the lower ones which can be good to start with, so it's up to you - if you don't mind burn some bones, make some. But I prefer making them only in case of personal/friend use.

Start with mana potions: buy 500 vials and wine (or at least 50-100 for lowbies) and harvest lupines, use these potions at your training for heal - you will get your empty vials back which you can use for next bunch of potions.

-> repeat the cycle at will, 500 pots can push you to lvl 9-10 (depends on fails and rationality bonus)

-> only cost of wine and fails

-> no nexus and no book is needed, you still have time to decide if you like the skill and want to continue - remember, after this phase (whatever long it takes by your taste) you will need to get some books and raise your vegetal nexus to 2 or 3

-> can do also same with sunflowers and potions of minor healing if you don't practice magic (but with recommended lvl 2 you will have more fails at the start)

Kill animals and collect everything, better worth it to bring to storage than let it disappear on the ground, you will need it later. With newbie storage also on Isla Prima, you don't have to let anything on the ground. And what you will not use in potions, you can nicely sell to bots -> so you will earn money for wine and vials by your training/hunting!

If you read it little bit further (or had checked the encyclopedia or list of potion recipes already), you will see that every common used (and well selling) potion requires quite high nexus, so you need to know if you want be a potioner NOW. Vegetal nexus is not required for any other skill.

Raise your vegetal nexus to 1-2-3, depending on the potion you want to mix as next.

- if you don't mind to make bone powders, nexus 1 is enough for reasoning pots mixing (sold to Mira at 15gc)

- vegetal 2 is enough for coordination pots, which can be sold to Mira at 11gc - stay at these as long you have deer furs (deer as training monster), some people are making only these to get level for srs

- with vegetal nexus 3 you can make other pots which can use your furs and give you another bunch of potion exp: as RallosZek has mentioned, I recommend too the potions of wildness (wolf fur, selling to Mira at 14gc) and vitality (puma fur, selling to Mira at 12gc)

- mainly the coordination pots but also some vitality can be sold nowadays also to players, so you can earn some extra money

Got to level around 25? Well at least 20 it should be, but the higher the better because of failing rate. Now it's the latest time for you to make wine quest as you are coming into range of srs, brs and feasting pots. Raise your nexus to 4. :(

- spirit restoration potions (srs): used in training, summoning and by magic, most wanted potion by any player, you will make a lot of these and can sell them on market

- body restoration potions (brs): want to point to Dilly's post which is related also to all previous - brs are now worth to make, excellent rate money/xp - many potioners prefer them according to srs for their potion training and money earning

- feasting potions (fps/fops): have you some free raw meat stocked in storage? (I hope you haven't sold it and it is still sitting in your storage nicely collected from all killed animals), make feasting pots - cheapest food you can get with raising your skill as well

Nordcarn map will be your home for quartzes harvesting, so don't forget to smash every wolf/deer/puma which cross your path down :(

Any potion "free" (except of vial price of course) exps are welcome, aren't they?

You will get busy for some time with these and will have enough time to make an outlook to the future.

I hope my hints helped a little bit - to you Gryflet, or any new potioner.

Good luck, enjoy the potting :)

Vidriel

TBH, I levelled potion to level 26 just with potions of mana. They re nice. You never fail and get fair amount of xp with decent reasoning.

I can use em pretty dang good as well: during mixing with toadies, I drink em to refill my mana. I use toadies for food, up to 40 poison damage, so I need to cast restore pretty often. The good thing is, you get the vials back. IMHO, when using toadies, potions of mana are better - and cheaper- than using SRS for mana. Should I start doing potion 4 real, Im sure I wont have much trouble with SRS. I got veggie 0 still ATM.

Well, maybe you should setup a "el cheapo" guide, cause you're really focusing on other skills and ooooh, potions goes up :P .

Aside from that, you're torturing yourself :(

Nah, no torture. Failing is turture (so no SRS at low levels), mixing with animal parts is torture. I liked it that way :).

I meant the toads and 60 HP damage lol

But there's a nice way to level on mana pots and level magic to 21:

• Get/make 1k matter essence
  • Be 21 def safe and able to cast the shield spell.
  • Get harv cape and FR cape (or perk), 2 or 3 vials. Bring some matter essies, leave about 200 free carry.
  • Go to sedicolis and harv fruits or veggies. Fruits pay a little better.
  • Sell to tavern
  • In the jungle, there's a 2x blue lupine. Harv about 150.
  • Take a seat in the tavern. Put on FR cape if required, drop 100 bl, from the veggie/fruit coin buy wine.
  • Mix a few mana pots, cast shield till out of mana, using mana pots in between.
  • Mix and use mana pots till >11 mana, cast a shield etc etc.

It goes somewhat faster if you bring enough coin for the wine, but this is real el cheapo and you get some harv exp :whistle: