• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Roja

Roja

Unicorn

• Admin
  • 8802 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:17 AM

Well, I don't think you would actually rip apart a monster and take it's bones :), regardless of the death factor here. That'd go under game-play thing, not needed for stories. If you want bones you'd hunt some animals and get them(and meat, etc) that way.

What I do think is realistic in the storyline/world sense is that the monster would die, and lay on the ground for a min. or so, so you'd be able to take it's gear. Then it'd fade into dust/ashes or something and dissapear.

It doesn't really affect summoning any-that pretty much follows the way it goes in game. You have your essences, knowledge(being a summoner), and the other ingredients necessary to bring about a form of temporary life under your control.

#22 peino

peino

Leprechaun

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:13 PM

Well, I don't think you would actually rip apart a monster and take it's bones ;), regardless of the death factor here. That'd go under game-play thing, not needed for stories. If you want bones you'd hunt some animals and get them(and meat, etc) that way.

Well, that's not very entertaining. :wub:

What I do think is realistic in the storyline/world sense is that the monster would die, and lay on the ground for a min. or so, so you'd be able to take it's gear. Then it'd fade into dust/ashes or something and dissapear.

It doesn't really affect summoning any-that pretty much follows the way it goes in game. You have your essences, knowledge(being a summoner), and the other ingredients necessary to bring about a form of temporary life under your control.

Hm. OK. Seems a bit anti-dramatic in reference to Selain, God of Vice and Corruption, though. Whatever.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't really answer my question. OK, summoning works like it does in game, but in terms of story, what does this tell us about Selain, his relationship to people and monsters and who has the power to make monsters, since he gives people the power to make temporary ones? I understand that the Curse is part of Mortos' story, but it just seems to me it has some overlap with Selain and maybe Aluwen, too.

Anyway, it's not really on topic. Just a thought that occurred to me reading the new Curse description.

Edited by peino, 24 June 2008 - 02:20 PM.

#23 Roja

Roja

Unicorn

• Admin
  • 8802 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:13 PM

Selain likes to have power and control over things. So bringing a sort of life to something dead, with no soul, can give a lot of power. Undead warriors(ie summoned creatures) at your command. It need not have anything to do with the curse.

#24 Aphistolas

Aphistolas

Wolf

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:31 AM

Personally I've always thought of 'killing a monster' in EL like this:

1) Monster 'dies' (i.e. it's circulatory system stops, it ceases to breath, brain activity becomes virtually minimal (if that) and the creature can -- depending on intelligence -- recall everything up until it died)

2) It lays there (sometimes in many pieces :angry: ) and the killer can gather up its stuff, that is he can carve out the meat with his sword, or pull out the bones.

3) Immediately after everything valuable has been removed, the monster fades into dust, or a horrible kind of ooze.

4) Sometime after that, depending on how 'strong' the monster is (the stronger, the faster it respawns*) it comes back to life in some kind of great light, possibly a collection of glowing orbs, as soon as this light dissipates the creature reappears as normal.

*I've always thought the 'spirit' had something to do with respawning, stronger monsters have a more powerful spirit, and are therefore better at coming back from the dead.

Is this an accurate view of what would happen?

#25 kailomonkey

kailomonkey

Wood Sprite

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Maps, Dragons, EL

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:24 AM

Monsters Respawning: I was happy suspending my disbelief that the monsters populated the given area, a new one crawing out some hole to keep numbers up :angry: But this is about stories not game explanation

Good to see the brave changes, allowing people to die or risk permanent death is very important in stories, again I'll be happy to suspend disbelief that since we're viewers from an abstract place sometimes referred to as RL, we have an advantage to characters stuck in a story by conceously heading for the exit. Afterall, if someone in RL was just as soul destroyed as characters at experiencing the underworld, they might very well quit while down there too :P

I believe a character with my name actualy died, already this change has made the stories make more sense.

Edited by kailomonkey, 27 June 2008 - 11:27 AM.

#26 Aphistolas

Aphistolas

Wolf

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:49 PM

Monsters Respawning: I was happy suspending my disbelief that the monsters populated the given area, a new one crawing out some hole to keep numbers up ;) But this is about stories not game explanation

Good to see the brave changes, allowing people to die or risk permanent death is very important in stories, again I'll be happy to suspend disbelief that since we're viewers from an abstract place sometimes referred to as RL, we have an advantage to characters stuck in a story by conceously heading for the exit. Afterall, if someone in RL was just as soul destroyed as characters at experiencing the underworld, they might very well quit while down there too ;)

I believe a character with my name actualy died, already this change has made the stories make more sense.

Hmm, okay so dying would be covered under stories, but respawning is a SoD thing? I can see how that works.

It could indeed bring in some new angles, but there is one thing that I just thought of:

Can Gods in their human form die?

PS: Yes, I read that, very good!

#27 Pyewacket

Pyewacket

Puma

• Members
  • 1355 posts
  • Interests:pwnage

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:12 AM

Can Gods in any form die? :P

#28 Aphistolas

Aphistolas

Wolf

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:05 PM

Can Gods in any form die? :pickaxe:

Forgive my wording, by 'die' I just mean, be vanquished. That is, could you banish a God to his/her realm? Does killing them in a conventional sense actually do anything?

For instance, I've seen times Aluwen 'banished' Mortos back to his realm. Can the same results be achieved by any mortal means? (Exceedingly --Godlike-- powerful magic, or by being stabbed/sliced/cut/decapitated/bludgeoned/crushed/impaled/blown up/set alight/thrown into acid/anvil dropped on head/etc. by enchanted/blessed/old weapons.)

I'm just wondering what sort of influence the Gods have on our realm. Are they still fully omnipotent, limited only by their desires, or can they only spend so much time in our realm? I see they have significant power while in our realm (able to take form, teleport, summon monsters, summon inhuman strength, etc), just how far does this go?

#29 Enly

Enly

Spider

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:21 PM

Well you'll just have to wait until us writers have time to write more stories to explain the world now won't you? :happy:

Those are important issues to consider, and most likely all will be addressed at some point in a story... it's just, writing the stories can't happen over night unfortunately :pickaxe:

#30 Aphistolas

Aphistolas

Wolf

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:45 PM

Well you'll just have to wait until us writers have time to write more stories to explain the world now won't you? :D

Those are important issues to consider, and most likely all will be addressed at some point in a story... it's just, writing the stories can't happen over night unfortunately :pickaxe:

It'd be nice if the writers could explain it now to avoid possible confusion in future, I'm pretty sure I've read some stories that go under the assumptions that God's can be vanquished, and some that say they can't (unless by another deity). But no matter, I guess it's a cross-the-bridge when you come to it kind of thing :happy:

Too true, but I wouldn't ask any of you to sacrifice quality for quantity! The stories I see are absolutely excellent, a real treat. It wouldn't be the same if one got posted every day :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users