Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Android client, 4th release

If you have the 3rd release, you don't have to clear the app data, otherwise please do it before installing the new client.

Keep in mind that this is still work in progress, so not everything works.

Changes:

Fixed the keyboard not typing problem that was affecting a few devices

Made the bottom icons smaller again, but now there is some slack space between them (implemented by Bluap)
The new char arrows for choosing your char are a bit easier to touch (bigger)
After creating a new char, the hud margin on the right side is gone
Fixed a problem where the camera would go crazy sometimes when trying to pinch to zoom on the horizontal rotation bar.
You can scroll through the console text with the finger
In the console window, swipe left to bring the keyboard, right to dismiss it
Hopefully fixed a rare crashing on startup bug. Might cause some issues in the encyclopedia though, let me know if that's the case.
The settings menu now works. I cleaned it up, removed irrelevant things, and it is also scrollable with the finger. For boxes with numbers on them, you can swipe left and right on them to change the quantity. The text boxes don't work yet.

Download link: http://www.eternal-lands.com/SDLActivity-debug.apk

Does this client have an option to turn the minimap on? I tried using a BT KB, and that did nothing. The KB works fine for inputing text, but no ctrl-something or alt-something commands work. 3rd cleint also did not save options after changing them (#save command was used before exiting the cleint with #exit). I have stopped using the android client, since it isnt working for me w/o these things.

If you REALLY want the minimap, there is a simple hack you can do.

Open the APK with 7zip or something (it's a zip file), copy the main_icon_window.xml from the desktop client to the apk (overwrite the old one), copy the APK on the phone, clear all the app data, and reinstall.

Eventually, I plan to make it openable from the config menu. The ini is not saved yet because there are some issues I have to fix first.

We appear to have lost the "Number of Quickbar Slots" from the HUD tab.

I can't change the AFK message in settings.

I don't know if it was something I did, but all the names and health bars are turn off and I can't figure out how to enable them.

The app is much less forgiving about what action icon is selected when you try to do something. It doesn't seem to auto-select the correct action based on context. For example, I must tap trade before talking with a bot or it seems to default to look-at: "You see Nera".

<edit>

Also, Avast is throwing an error on this version of the client: Suspicious fie detected - APK:CloudRep [susp]

Edited by bkc56

1. The number of slots is hard coded to 5, I don't plan to change that.

2. Please read what I posted?

3. I'll look into it, some people reported it before, doesn't happen on my device.

4. It was never like that, and it's not like that in the desktop client either.

5. No idea?

4. It was never like that, and it's not like that in the desktop client either.

Perhaps I have become so used to right-clicking to change the action that I don't even notice doing it anymore?

&nbsp;

Does this client have an option to turn the minimap on? I tried using a BT KB, and that did nothing. The KB works fine for inputing text, but no ctrl-something or alt-something commands work. 3rd cleint also did not save options after changing them (#save command was used before exiting the cleint with #exit). I have stopped using the android client, since it isnt working for me w/o these things.

&nbsp;

Look at this keyboard, I just installed it.

Supports most possible key combinations. Especially -m.

You can use the arrow keys to control the camera too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard

Edited by Hubi

OMG! Thank you, Hubi. I have only played around with it for a half-hour or so on my HP tablet, but so far, it is the best kb for android tablets I've ever seen!

On changes from last 2 releases:

1) "Made the bottom icons smaller again, but now there is some slack space between them (implemented by Bluap)"

Now they display perfectly on my 5-yr-old tiny phone screen, with a small gap between Options and the compass. On a larger 5.2" phone, the gap is an inch or so. And on the tablets, larger yet. The new spacing between icons makes it somewhat easier to select the right one, although it's still pretty awkward on the phones.

2) "Removed a few icons that don't make much sense on small screens"

One other icon that perhaps could be removed (so that they could be returned to the larger, v3 size) is the 'sword' icon. Someone else may have some use for it, but I have never (on PC or Android) had a problem attacking anything attackable with the 'walk' cursor enabled.

3) "New, high res font"

Very nice font. It looks nicer when scaling up also, on all my devices. Can make names readable now on 1080 x 1920 pixel phone, if I set "Names" to a an 80% size increase..

4) "Fixed (at least on my tablet) the problem where if you pressed the power off button during the game the screen would go black. It needs more testing though."

This happened on at least 2 of my devices, and is fixed here now also. As long as Data & WiFi are turned on, I can bring the game up from the inactive app screen, and it automatically reconnects properly. And it does not automatically disconnect from the server when inactive to read an email or check battery briefly.

5) "Now it should work on Android 4.0.x as well"

It works fine on both of my Android 4.0.4 devices (phone & tablet)

6) "Char creation works now (but still needs a few improvements)"

Created 3 chars without incident. Eye color is difficult to determine on small devices.

7) "You can scroll through the console text with the finger"

Yes, but the the highlighting function in console makes it work erratically. Would it be possible to either remove highlighting althogether, or make it something one could turn off and on? It would make scrolling through console much easier.

8) "In the console window, swipe left to bring the keyboard, right to dismiss it"

This works fine in 3 devices. On the old, smaller phone, it works only sometimes. I have to swipe left 4 to 10 times to get the keybooard to come up. I haven't found a pattern to it yet.

9) "The settings menu now works. I cleaned it up, removed irrelevant things, and it is also scrollable with the finger."

Yes. I tested many of the settings and all seemed to work as expected, including scrolling.

One that I'd like to see you put back in is the Gamma adjustment. I was boosting this setting in the Android client before it was removed. During EL night, depending on room lighting and device, the screen can become almost black, without differentiation between objects. In these cases, boosting the gamma can make the game playable.

The only other one I really miss is the ability to turn on time stamps.

One that I'd like to see you put back in is the Gamma adjustment. I was boosting this setting in the Android client before it was removed. During EL night, depending on room lighting and device, the screen can become almost black, without differentiation between objects. In these cases, boosting the gamma can make the game playable.

The only other one I really miss is the ability to turn on time stamps.

The night time is a particular issue in general. IP has lighting on it making it a bad map to night test on. The majority of maps don't have lighting except around very specific locations. Walking through woods areas in WS, and even Naralik in the middle of the night I could only walk around because I actually know the maps inside out, and still had to mostly use the "tab" map to walk.

It's way too dark, hard to see anything even on a 10.1" tablet screen. I'd pull my hair out trying to use it on a phone screen.

A default "brighter" night setting (without changing perception of course) is going to be an absolute necessity for this to be playable at all.

Realizing just how map-dependent I am in the normal client, most walking is done using the tab map for long distances or the minimap for shorter ones, only clicking the ground to walk when close to a critter or harv or door or such. Android makes ground clicking more the norm, so it feels "slower". (Could also be I'm used to being speed-haxed, and I'm testing with a normal-speed alt on top of that.)

Oh, and agree on Time Stamps.

Things are generally working okay here though (on the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" 2016 tablet), still been too busy IRL and not even worked on maps in a week, but should have time to more thoroughly test and continue map work by mid-week.

Edited by Burn

one thing i think would work better would be to replace the l/r u/d blue bars with a thumb toggle, intreasted in hearing other peoples ideas on this

you could move the camera 360 degrees without having to lift and relocate.

as for the dark issues, free night visors for android users :))

Edited by caladina