Eternal Lands Official Forums
SunriseCoder

EL crashed after libxml2 update on Ubuntu (Troubleshooting)

Symptoms:

1. EL client crashes right after start (before login screen).

2. You see something like that in EL log file: http://pastebin.com/mJUEVxAd

Looking for more info:

1. Looking what packages was recently installed in /var/log/dpkg.log: http://pastebin.com/0Bd9gDKf (look for "upgrade" in line)

in my case this line shown me to problem:

2013-07-15 23:50:14 upgrade libxml2:i386 2.7.8.dfsg-5.1ubuntu4.4 2.7.8.dfsg-5.1ubuntu4.5

Here we can see, updated libxml2 from version 2.7.8.dfsg-5.1ubuntu4.4 to version 2.7.8.dfsg-5.1ubuntu4.5

What did I do:

1. Ran Synaptic

2. Used filter libxml2

3. Set cursor to package libxml2

4. In main menu selected Package -> Force version

5. I had 2.7.8.dfsg-5.1ubuntu4 and 2.7.8.dfsg-5.1ubuntu4.5 version only (I hadn't 2.7.8.dfsg-5.1ubuntu4.4 in that list),

so I set 2.7.8.dfsg-5.1ubuntu4

6. I did same for package libxml2-utils

7. Click "Apply"

PS. Probably it can delete some programs, so be careful and watch what programs depends on libxml2 and should be removed.

Good luck.

PPS. I'm very rare guest on the forum, so you can contact me in game.

I should probably backport the fix to the Ubuntu/Debian release packages, it is already in the testing package.

Edited by bluap

I just posted this same problem:

So do I need to follow steps 1-7 above to fix this, or do you think a fix will get pushed out soon (ignore it until it goes away)?

Or, does this imply a fixed version of EL is coming soon:

This has been fixed in git by bluap
Edited by bkc56

Or, does this imply a fixed version of EL is coming soon:

This has been fixed in git by bluap

If you build from git source, you'll get a fixed version. If you use the testing version of my Ubuntu/Debian packages its fixed. I'll back port the fix to the release version of my packages later today hopefully. I'm not sure if we need new static binaries as those should be using the old libary version, but I will check and rebuild if required. If you are using the static binary and having the problem let me know.

I've rebuilt the Ubuntu packages with the fix in place, testing it on 12.04 and with the initial xmllib update and the most recent. It works for me. The Ubuntu build servers no longer support some of the previous releases so the new package is only available for Lucid, Precise , Quantal, Raring and Saucy. If you are using some other release then you should upgrade (to get security fixes for Ubuntu at least) or use the static binary. Note, that Ubuntu disables PPA sources if you upgrade a release, you have to manually enable and update the sources line using software-properties-gtk.

I installed the package from your testing repo (12.04 here with most recent xmllib) and it works without any problems.

Well done Bluap! :icon13:

Just got the update sent this morning via Ubuntu Updater - everything works again, good job! :)

-----------------------

Ingame name: JRats

Edited by scowper

As of the time of this post, the Release ppa has not been updated to handle the libxml2 problem. To change from Release ppa to Testing ppa do the following:

https://help.ubuntu....ty/EternalLands

Development Versions and Release Candidates of Eternal Lands

To install on Ubuntu, open a terminal window and use the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pjbroad/testing

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

See also: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46154&st=40&do=findComment&comment=558290

Edited by r0wan

As of the time of this post, the Release ppa has not been updated to handle the libxml2 problem.

But it has, which version of Ubuntu are you using?

$ cat /etc/lsb-release

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu

DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04

DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise

DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS"

Linux [short_hostname] 3.2.0-51-generic-pae #77-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 24 20:40:32 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Check your software sources. If you upgraded from a previous version of ubuntu you may have to manually enable and edit the source lines. I presume you are using my launchpad PPA as your source rather than some other repository?