Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Piggy

Nothing New?

"The one thing that is consistent is change"

"The one thing people don't like is change"

Yeah, I mucked about with the wording of those truisms, but they stand as they are.

So what's the big change at the PK Server?

All the pro fighters are leaving for various reasons. It has gotten to the point where we can't deal with invasions enough to make them interesting for Radu to bring about. Not good. He may decide at some point to shut the whole project down out of sheer boredom and money loss. Very not good!

Why are players leaving? Once leveled to the point of hunting Leonard (not this year for me,) things can get boring. PK'ing harv'ers has no value... high level fighters are few and avoid each other to save their armor and weapons. There are no epic guild vs. guild battles.

Some have left just due to the deafening quiet... over a year has passed and we all fit on one channel for chat and marketing. Some players had the time to out-level all of us and just got bored with supplying everything and killing everything with no challenge. Some got sick of being back-stabbed by childish fighters instead of properly challenged on the field. Some just left because of the attitude of others....

Frankly, to all those who left PK without a RL reason I say ~ "Spoil Sport! Poopy Head! Sore Loser!" Get ch'ass back here and put up ya dukes, uglybuns! I'll entertain ya! For a few seconds at least...

The point from the beginning of this Forum Category has been to attract more players to the PK Server! Get back here and let's work on that.... the more the merrier, remember?

Grrr... go ahead and argue at me, you know I'm right...

I left because of the serious lack of players, and anything to do, I'm at 90s attack & defense, and I'm bored. No-one to talk to, and no-one to PK.

Can't kill stuff, because 100/100 is to low, or you risk breaking stuff because there are no where near enough NMTs. (2). So it makes killing high level things expensive.

I don't imagine I'll ever come back to that server.

Which is a shame because it could be awesome, if there was only +100 players on all the time. (Not alts.)

I'm not as eloquent as Piggy and I haven't been on the PK server very long (few mos.), but these have been my observations:

1.) We have "bad boys" who have no honor.

2.) There is a "core" community that is close knit because trust has been established among them. Once you are accepted by the "core" community, you are showered with their friendship. They're actually "glad" you're here! They care.

3.) It's very quiet due to the lack of hundreds upon hundreds of ppl logged in at any given time - as on main.

4.) We have very few enriched ess because (unlike main) we have to make them. This adds to the fact that many mid to high lvl items are not available (one will think twice before using his/her efe to make an item because it may be best to hold onto it and make something else that is even more valuable to them).

5.) There's not a lot of "manpower" left for invasions. The high lvl mobs are a chore for the few players who are capable. And then there are those who will be present during invasions and do their best to get the items of another player participating (see #1 above) by pk'ing - which the "core" community has agreed isn't in the best interest of the server.

I love the ppl on the PK server (overall). Even the "bad boys". The bad ones give the good ones a "common cause" whether they mean to or not. The economy, while it can be difficult, is not nearly as controversial as the economy on main. You have to learn to be self-reliant here - it's not a place for the lazy or faint of heart ... or the whiners... it's definitely not a place for sissy's. You have to have the heart of a lion to "live" on the PK server. Beggers do not get very far on this server, I'm happy to report.

I believe the "core" community can keep the "bad boys" in check because the ppl who are the heart of this place are not only lion hearted - they are very intelligent.

I will NOT leave this server. I'm no pk'er. I'm a supplier. I will NOT leave this server because of the handful of baddies. Trust me, there are soooo many more on main. Here, at least, I pretty well know who they are and what to expect. I know not to trust a new player until they actually prove they are trustworthy. The "core" community is a "family". I am very fortunate to feel like a small part of that family and I will NOT leave.

I guess I'm gonna' have to train a/d, though because all the guys who could keep the balance in the community appear to have lost interest... very sad. They will be missed.

OH! I am Hope on the PK server. Hope and Faith. I am a friend in the community and I intend for it to remain so.

^^That was very eloquent!

I think in part the server hasn't attracted the numbers that it should because of a lack of understanding about what the server is really like. Hardcore PKers create characters and leave because there isn't enough PK action. This will true until we have 100+ active players online at any given time. The maps are simply too large. Even then, PK is not and will not be the same as main.

The PK server is not the right place for those who only want to fight.

In my observations over the last year, these are the characteristics of most of the people who stick around and enjoy the server:

1. Not new to EL. We do not provide newbie help and you have to know the game well enough to be able to change up some of your normal routine.

2. Not afraid of death. You will die. The interesting thing is, it won't happen as often as you would think. Many of us don't attack new players, but that doesn't mean that you can get comfortable harvesting roses in VoTD.

3. Likes the idea of PKing occasionally. Some players don't PK at all, but most of us do. But we're not the people you would find hanging around KF all the time on the main server. We're the ones who occasionally poke our heads in just to see what's up.

4. Wants to level in a mixing skill. Right now, we need high levels in ALL skills. There is no cooldown, so this isn't that hard.

One thing I've always found interesting is that this server attracts a lot of women. I would speculate that that has something to do with the multi-tasking aspect of the game. I usually have two or three goals I'm working on and since I can have multiple players, I can work on them all at the same time.

We also tend to attract adults. I'm not sure why. Any speculations on that one?

There are many people on the main server who would love this one, but we need to be able to advertise to them.

I'm not leaving the server. I have resurrected my main server character and I'm active there as well, but I am going to continue to build my characters here. I have lots of goals. Once SyAnide hits 100 a/d, I'm going to try that whole ranging thing I hear so much about. SyWren's potioning business in booming and I want to spend more time manufacturing.

We're in a lull and it does feel like the server is dying, but I'll play it out. I have Hope, too!

(So pretty much what I'm saying is what Hope is saying, but she said it better.)

Edited by sywren

I think in part the server hasn't attracted the numbers that it should because of a lack of understanding about what the server is really like.

I agree on that. Thats why i created the "PK_Server_Info"-Dude on main. I was just on for some minutes and people were asking a lot. I think this would be a good way to inform about and advertise for the PK Server.

It would be nice if some of you could walk around on main with that char as well and doing info-work. (that means a lot of typing)

Just PM me for the Password.

P.S. I send Entropy a message to check if he is ok with that. So maybe we will have to delete the Info-Dude. But it's worth a shot...

I'm here, and I'll stay.

Reasons? oh my, many. being able to supply yourself with iron/silver/whatever while fighting (using alt) is great, tho my comp lags which I can stand. Being able to train as much as you want because the spawn are free. Being attacked by someone in a map and fighting for your life. Finding a rare stone and rushing to sto fearing of being attacked, etc etc etc.

@ liquid: you (or your brother, wtv) claim you're the strongest on this server. Why can't you help other people train then? Why don't you supply new players with HEs and SRS and training gear? Why don't you try to get that NMT cape (you can sell everything else) or take a perk? Why don't you supply others with books or dragon scales? PK server, as well as main, needs fighters to be suppliers for manufacturers, potioners, etc. Be one. I'm getting there, and once I do, you're gonna have to come back and claim your "I'm teh strngest d00d" title back.

Peace.

I think in part the server hasn't attracted the numbers that it should because of a lack of understanding about what the server is really like.

I agree on that. Thats why i created the "PK_Server_Info"-Dude on main. I was just on for some minutes and people were asking a lot. I think this would be a good way to inform about and advertise for the PK Server.

It would be nice if some of you could walk around on main with that char as well and doing info-work. (that means a lot of typing)

Just PM me for the Password.

P.S. I send Entropy a message to check if he is ok with that. So maybe we will have to delete the Info-Dude. But it's worth a shot...

1. It's an official sounding name, and anything that gets said from it sounds official and true and supported by EL. I REALLY am not liking the name.

2. With anybody logging on it and hiding behind this name, anything could get said, true or not, scam or not.

3. From a moderator perspective, it's a horrible idea. We aren't going to monitor this to make sure somebody trustworthy is on it or not, and if the information is likely to be reliable and accurate. We are NOT going to tolerate trouble and if it starts wasting mod time with complaints or problems (including sharing problems), it's a quick way to get a character locked and IP's banned.

4. Why can't you log onto the main server with your main server characters and "spread the word" ? You all have been given permission to do this already, within reason, nobody wants 20 of you showing up and spamming the channels and local hot-spots either. You would have to organize yourselves.

Very cool replies, friends! Thank you!!

I'll admit I've been slacking on the server, but that includes the computer in general and RL issues... I looove de PK Server no matter how many times I die!

Lilliath, do we all know you in~game? It's hard to keep track of everyone since alts are numerous and people trading, selling, and sharing characters. In general, I think we try to welcome new players and share experiences here. I give away extra st00fs to newbists just like on main and I have extra. Most others are more generous! Don't forget to post names of alts in Sywren's thread:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45479

It's a great way to be welcomed and recognized!

LewisCarroll, thanks for pushing PK on the Main Server! I have a 'clone' Piggy there for that purpose but sooo many other people to be here and in RL that he gets short shrift. My idea is to hold events "Find Piggy, get a free PK account".... it's the five bux I'm having a tough time with.. (cheap bum!)

Sywren says it all....

Liquid, you ebul you, get cha'ass back here! ;)

Yes, Piggy. I am both Hope & Faith on PK Server. Lilliath is on main. We know each other pretty well, I think. You make me laugh a lot. ;)

Oh, I've never been big about posting on forums - just reading. Found this to be a good cause for posting. :)

Edited by Lilliath

Oop... napped through those last two posts....

Aislinn, good point from your position and makes sense all around. Can we get your confirm on announcing in channels on Main any events and 'advertisements' pertaining to the PK Server?

I had it from Radu, Roja and Acelon (not sure but think that's who...) way back that we could advertise on EL Chat and Market so long as it wasn't too often. When I'm on main with 'Mugwump' I always make a comment in conversation about PK and bring it up about once an hour, but spend most of my time at PK anyway. Any and all promotions are great!

Well, I did jump on PK_Server_Info guy for about 20 minutes or so and had a LOT of pms with questions. As soon as I sat down in Nordcarn (didn't say a word in local), I immediately struck up two conversations. We can't use that character, but it did show that there is a lot of interest!

I've answered a lot of questions on my main server character before, but since we are actually playing and leveling those characters, we don't always have time for the chat.

What might work is to have a bot that gives links to websites with more information and can perhaps give out names of those people with main server characters who don't mind answering questions. I wouldn't mind having my name in there, and I'm sure there are others. The script could state clearly that these people are neither mods nor official representatives of EL. We're just players who want to make sure that EL community is aware of alternative server for those who would like to try something different.

The problem, of course, is getting the bot.

Oop... napped through those last two posts....

Aislinn, good point from your position and makes sense all around. Can we get your confirm on announcing in channels on Main any events and 'advertisements' pertaining to the PK Server?

I had it from Radu, Roja and Acelon (not sure but think that's who...) way back that we could advertise on EL Chat and Market so long as it wasn't too often. When I'm on main with 'Mugwump' I always make a comment in conversation about PK and bring it up about once an hour, but spend most of my time at PK anyway. Any and all promotions are great!

Yes you can, but make sure you keep it to the appropriate channels (obviously 1 and 2 are definite no-no's for example). EL general chat 4 is fine, 20 is fine, market I wouldn't say yes to, that is strictly for buying/selling ingame main server items or appropriate services. Channel 7 would be fine for any events you run on main to promote the pk server. If there is anything you think I missed, just ask ;)

Also make sure you all keep some kind of schedule or record. Chat amongst yourselves. Don't all go spamming at once or you will just end up annoying everyone.

Make sure you all make note too, of the official channel rules and allowed announcement time intervals.

Bots can be put on main server for free (with radu's approval) as long as they don't spam channels and local chats, don't trade and serve the community. in this case, the PK server's ;)

Bots can be put on main server for free (with radu's approval) as long as they don't spam channels and local chats, don't trade and serve the community. in this case, the PK server's ;)

Those are approved on a case by case basis, and as far as I know, there have only been 2 approved for that ever in 6 years. I wouldn't count on free.

Those two have been who? Gossip and Trinity? or is one of them eternalbroker? worth a shot tho, anyway, it might bring radu some more $

As some know, I've been here since before the beginning (I was on during the beta testing before the char-wipe and official start). I think my record proves I'm in it for the long-haul. I'm one of those who never PKs (not even the ants). This all started as a grand experiment: can a pure supplier survive on a PK server? Over a year later, I'm still here. I will add that this last year has been a total blast. I'm still on main every day, but most of my actual playing is on PK.

I agree that with a few exceptions, the biggest strength of the PK server is the community. It's a blast to see everyone pull together to deal with an invasion. The better the invasion is managed the more people join in as each goes off to a map at their skill level to do their part. The chatting about what's on which map, the saving of DBs, the scouts calling out the location of a clops for a strong player to come kill - it's a lot of fun.

The server isn't for the lazy or uncommitted though. So many of the early players thought they'd own the place in two weeks (PK god wanna-bees). They found out it takes real work and that there were other people just as capable playing - that was it for many of them. Yes, it's easier here with no cooldown and legal use of alts, but it still takes a ton of work. My respect to those who have hit the a/d cap in less than a year. I couldn't do it. But I'm comfortable in the skills I've chosen to work in. And while we're small, PAL is doing it's part as a supplier guild.

As to the future, that's hard. There was so much excitement at the start. The high-water mark was 90 players on Dec 30, 2007. We know many of the reasons people left, and they're hard to counter. Starting a new char from zero is work, no way around it. People waiting for enough other people to join to make it worth while is harder - with everyone waiting no one is playing. I'm sure devs/mods could to more to promote the server, but I'm not sure how to promote it in a way that would generate measurable results.

One thing that might be interesting is some sort of a character broker. Past players could donate chars they don't use for new players to get for free (or a low main-server gc fee). But even if the $5 problem (which stops some people) was removed, we'd still have the other issues.

Once idea tried with MrHide was regular and carefully crafted invasions to make the server a lot more fun. It did that very well, but I don't know if it drew many/any new players in. But I still think that has some potential for server growth. With Mortos here now, perhaps we'll see.

Anyway, I'm glad to see this thread posted. A lot of good thoughts here.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44021 (http://eternallandspk.blogspot.com/)

RL is still getting the best of me, I need to recover as the last couple of Nights the blood in my alchool has been very low.

I have to agree with most of the comments, specially the fact that the PK server is for determined, self-motivated, capable of multi-tasking and wishing to test as many alternative ways of playing EL as possible.

As for the stronger character that can log any minute on to EL's PK Server, it's called Handyman and will be for a while still. The build of attributes and perks will be hard to beat for a while still, but not impossible. Anyone else saying differently is just "wind in sails."

You will have to bear with me for a while longer, main server just doesn't cut it for me and I only play EL when I have the time for it. But I sure miss those who managed to get me hooked on the PK Server: Lonewolfe, Yaser, Handyman and Mr_Hide's invasions.

Those are approved on a case by case basis, and as far as I know, there have only been 2 approved for that ever in 6 years. I wouldn't count on free.

If it was for the good of the server and no personal benifit then maybe it might :)

Hi Guys

Even though i dont play anymore (RL Calls)

I still read the forums and try to keep up to date with things.

We have talked and typed about Ideas and ways of promoting the PK Server many times

The server has everything that players were asking for on main over a year ago (the reason for its existance)

Except the main thing (a high player base)

It has evolved since it was born just over a year ago, small changes have been made, levels have increased stronger weapons / armours have appeard

We have all tried to promote the server in our own ways but most players say the reason why they dont stay is because it does not have enough players

Maybe its time for Admin to post some ideas

Im sure the PK community will help anyway they can

The problem the pk server players have is what they are aloud to and not to do in the way of promoting on the main server.

Maybe a big promotion drive from Admin, the running of some events for the new players to get them started

Please dont take this as a dig against Admin its not meant that way, But the pk info bot seems like a good idea so why dont Admin place their own info bot on main this way it would be offical and after the initial set up will be low maintanance.

To sum everything up PK server palyers are willing to do what ever they can

But i feel a big promotion drive from Admin and them both working together is the only way

Miss you all

Handyman

Segor, I'm going to send you a fresh alembic full of Madeira ready to cook! Hope you can settle down with a good job and spend more time with us.

Handyman!! So glad you watch the forums, I'm sorry I missed your leaving during my lack of internets, but glad you are still alive! Maybe someday you come back?

Bkc56, good points all. I like the Character Broker idea. Sounds like high maintenance, but might pay off. As it stands I have one alt (Bazna) who hasn't settled into a skill yet and I was thinking of lending him out per week or month as a promotional gimmick. Obviously he could be easily stolen, but hey, where can you get so much entertainment for $5 these days? That's a small popcorn at the movies around here and you don't get to see the flick. He is expendable for now...

Thinking way back I may remember a statement from Teh God saying promotion of the server was up to us and not Admin. May be wrong, but I'm sure his aim was to do only so much and leave it to us to do the rest. Radu has been very watchful and helpful, at least recently, still I'm inclined to believe we have the power to create our own environment.

That going as reason, I suggest this: Instead of gc, let's all barter in dung.

Okay, bad idea. However, we can change the economy at will, as well as guild treaties, the Three Big Rules (remember them? Issues here, for sure,) invasion policies, events & contests.... you name it. We can control it, we ARE the admins here and the peons!

Iknow couple of months back they gave away 3 free accounts all 3 of those players are still active and have brought at least 5 others + alts over , sounds like worth repeating.

Gambit

Okay, bad idea. However, we can change the economy at will, as well as guild treaties, the Three Big Rules (remember them? Issues here, for sure,) invasion policies, events & contests.... you name it. We can control it, we ARE the admins here and the peons!

That the great part for most of the ones playing the PK Server but the issue for most of the ones that leave, because they can't complaint to anyone in specific :)

While everyone can bother mods on main to solve your issues, here you have to deal with them all.

Like leaving the server because "no one buys from me the crap leather armor I pked from them!" :)

I myself played PK server for a month or two and quit its just to small and really was not the kind of "PK" server i was expecting more of a Mixing server. and i just did not find it fun.

-Syni

btw lol at this (Not trying to be rude) :)

The PK server is not the right place for those who only want to fight.

In my observations over the last year, these are the characteristics of most of the people who stick around and enjoy the server:

3. Likes the idea of PKing occasionally. Some players don't PK at all, but most of us do. But we're not the people you would find hanging around KF all the time on the main server. We're the ones who occasionally poke our heads in just to see what's up.

4. Wants to level in a mixing skill. Right now, we need high levels in ALL skills. There is no cooldown, so this isn't that hard.

Edited by syni

Syni, where do you expect to see this whole PKing when the ebul PKers like you leave? there are tons of people like you with the same hopes. Get them all back together on the server, and you'll have both the activity and the PKing.