Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kalix

Ranging in PK

I was just wondering if ranging is used in pk and how it is used. :(

And im not talking about putting ice arrows on ur back. ;)

Not many people have the appropriate skill level to use ranging in PK yet IMHO. And, most of rangers are afraid to break their expensive bows :)

But I believe that ranging will play an important part in PK very very soon.

it's incredibly difficult. I tried in kilarin fields. I think you would need fire/magic/ice bolts to do real damage and even then you can generally only get a hit off them before they ttr to you and no more range. It also eliminates one person killing machines (which isn't a bad thing), but if you have a few close in fighters, they can fight the other opponent and then you can shoot the enemy (for semi-consistent hits) and lower his health.

I haven't ranged in PK alot but i think that the most important role range will play is when people go in with ice/fire/magic bolts and start cooling down/mana burning/MNing the fighters opponent

I did a little ranging in KF yesterday (with training arrows) got 2 kills :medieval: (although both were n00bs with 50 or so health), also shot at random people (knowing they can't kill me in close combat either :)) , and during daylight I hit most of the time, although the damage is kind of pathetic (ranges between 5-10), I think if there is someone up front to take the hits for you, an archer with PK arrows could be of some use, although radu shuld code an indirect shot (shooting up into the air over the head of you're comrades fighting hand to hand, onto the enemy) so that archers can be located at strategic positions (for example behind the walls of one of the fort's), instead of having to walk around the back to get a clear shot.

i think ranging could have many practical implementations in PKing. for instance, you could have a guild with like 2-3 high level rangers, and a good melee person. have the rangers go invisible (or stand far back) and if their guildie is attacked or attacks someone, the rangers can attack. if they attacked person decides to go after the rangers, they can suit up for melee and beat the snot out of the person, or just continue to provide small doses of damage over time.

ranging also allows you to (not just in PK but also when fighting creatures) single an enemy out. if you shoot somebody from far away, and they are in a group. if you seem weak, they might come to fight you alone, in the time it takes them to get to you, you could suit up and be ready to kill. so, in conclusion, ranging would allow for 2 major tactics, to help meleers with damage, and also singling an enemy out from a group

Interesting to see if someone built a pure Ranging account, with full AP, and the Perks, to see how good it is. :o

There are people who already tried this, but I doubt they will give you all their strategy secrets.

Use teamwork and your brain and you will kill in ranging.

Interesting to see if someone built a pure Ranging account, with full AP, and the Perks, to see how good it is. :)

I'm not sure that anyone with a good level has all 3 perks + full ap, but there's a few of us who could be pretty deadly who have a combo of those things. Unfortunately, I don't know that any of the top rangers cares about pk at all. :D

Interesting to see if someone built a pure Ranging account, with full AP, and the Perks, to see how good it is. :D

I considerd doing that, from what I can understand max perception would be a nice bonus ^^

Nice spot, fighter/tank as a support, full AP + high ranging lvl and ...

You ARE deadly, even if you won't kill the target, you will force him to dis (that must be annoying) and run or attack you. If you have a skilled fighter with you, then the target is doomed!

A 60 a/d n00b with EMPs and a 50 level ranger with 60 AP can beat a 140's damn super pr0 easily :medieval:

5 years of training a/d < 5 months of training ranging.

-Kaddy ;)

Edited by Kaddy

Just a remark, yesterday KF was owned by high level (and max AP) rangers. If you want to know more, ask Dugur or Choris to post.

I will just quote one of the fighters (a rather pro one I think) “This makes no sense while rangers are around”.

I hope this answers your question, is ranging good for PK or not :bow_arrow:

Edited by Devnul

Just a warning...

One of my guild members died today OUTSIDE of the DPa because there is a glitch (I guess radu said it wasn't a glitch and he wasn't going to remove it) where a ranger can shoot an arrow at someone leaving an arena and kill them while they are outside of the arena.

My guild member lost some armor/weapon to this and we were quite shocked to here that this was even possible.

Anyone else experience this?

Thoughts/comments?

Edited by PaulB

This definitely ruins the fun for many players who now fear losing items when going out of arena. Things you can do to avoid this is: Die in arena by fighting someone, #suicide, use tele ring, get near to archer and attack him/her or use some summon stones to keep everyone around busy while you run. Not sure teleporting to distance to the outside of the arena will avoid this problem. Rangers can do up to 90 damage with a fire arrow and elvenbow or more so, don't go out of arena if your health is low (careful for invisible/ninja shooters!). One way of solving this problem is make the edge of the arena where people sit and is non PK a no drop zone; therefore when people run out and get shot+die they don't lose items.

One more glitch at the arenas is:

If 3 people are in a line in the pk zone right outside the drop edge. Person A is on left side, person B is in the middle and person C is on the right side. If person C is in a direction outside of arena and attacks person A, he or she might walk outside to the drop zone to attack person A and will therefore drop items if he or she dies. Thats a "trick" that a friend showed me but he did not try to kill me (had my ice serp on me!). So be careful about how you attack your opponent in the arena!

My 2 cents.

Edited by Yani

this should definitely be fixed regardless if radu thinks it isnt a bug or whatever

i mean how hard is it to make that edge right outside the arena no drop?

This bug was supposedly fixed years ago.. I also shot someone to death outside of a pk area but didn't notice it as a bug :)

For the no-drop arena it is a bit weird to suddenly get drops tho...

Not a bug.

Same principle as poisoning someone. If you are almost dead and you diss and run, but get poisoned right before you leave the arena. Then die, you drop. Should we find some way of making this not happen? No, it is the way it is. If you dont like it bring a desert pines tele ring with you into the arena.

Not a bug.

Same principle as poisoning someone. If you are almost dead and you diss and run, but get poisoned right before you leave the arena. Then die, you drop. Should we find some way of making this not happen? No, it is the way it is. If you dont like it bring a desert pines tele ring with you into the arena.

No, it's not the same thing....

When you are poisoned you get a message that you have been poisoned. If you leave the map and drop that is your own fault for not paying attention.

With this bug you have no way to protect from it because even if you leave you arena you can still get killed and drop stuff, no warning, no nothing but hell.

In no way is this similar to getting poisoned and dying outside a PK area.

DPa was made no drop and at no point in that no drop map when you die do you loose anything so why if someone leaves the PK part of the arena but still AT the arena should they be able to drop anything to a glitch/bug/whatever you want to call it?

If it's possible to drop at all at the DPa's then the maps should just be changed back to drop maps because this will become easily abused and go against the concept of "no drop map".

In order to drop something from being poisoned in KF you actually have to change map. Not like someone can poison you near the tree in KF and then when you get to the flag it becomes drop area. So why should people drop items in a no drop area yet they haven't changed maps? And also note that the person got poison cast on them from inside the map, not outside.

Server changes:

Fixed a bug where summoned animals would attack from outside of the arena.

Also he changed it so people outside an arena cannot cast spells like remote heal on people inside an arena but it's OK for someone inside an arena to kill someone outside an arena?

:devlish::D

Edited by PaulB

if this happens i dont see why we shouldn't be able to shoot people from outside the arena :devlish:

Edited by hobobob38

I would like to thank radu for fixing the DPa issue here with last nights update by extending the no drop area a little. :D

Thanks

The arena is for no-drop PK'ing, so whether recognised as a bug or not, making it so people can't die there at the hand of other players and drop gear is a positive change. Good stuff.

I might even bring Revik online for a little play next week >:]

Edited by Korrode