Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sweettea

Need help with EL.bin file on Ubuntu

I have Ubuntu 14.04 LTS With 32-bit OS.

I am having trouble playing El on Ubuntu.I belive it installed okay. I go to my games folder but the .bin file isn't executable. I have been trying for several days now, have read multiple forums and tried many things suggested. None of them work for me.I am really anxious to get back into playing EL. I've been away waaayyy to long, lol.I did this to install EL:
How to install Eternal Lands
Ubuntu Packages
Open a command line terminal then enter the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pjbroad/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install eternallands
This will install the client and data packages, and normally, the sound package too. If the sound package is not included but you want it, use:
sudo apt-get install eternallands-sound
Additionally, if you want the music use:
sudo apt-get install eternallands-music
That part seemed to work.
First I was receiving error that el.x86.linux.bin was an Unknown file type. I then moved file to another folder so I could mark it as executable file and I was getting same error messages. I did some upgrades and got this message When i double click on el.x86.linux.bin i get this error: Invalid url: '/home/owner/Documents/el.x86.linux.bin' given, exiting
No ':' in the uri
I have tried chmod commands in terminal but it always says : This file does not exist or can't find el.x86.linux.bin etc.
owner@owner-OptiPlex-745:~$ sudo apt-get install eternallands
[sudo] password for owner:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
eternallands is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
owner@owner-OptiPlex-745:~$
I even tried this: chmod +x file-name.run
Now you can execute the file in the terminal.
./file-name.run
If an error message including a problem such as 'permission denied' appears, use sudo to run it as root (admin). Be careful, sudo allows you to make critical changes to your system. Many software installs will require sudo.
sudo ./file-name.run
owner@owner-OptiPlex-745:~$ chmod +x el.x86.linux.bin
chmod: cannot access ‘el.x86.linux.bin’: No such file or directory
owner@owner-OptiPlex-745:~$ ./el.x86.linux.bin
bash: ./el.x86.linux.bin: No such file or directory

Where did you install it to?

For example, I have /home/sb/el_linux and /home/sb/.elc

So my binary path is /home/sb/el_linux/el.x86.linux.bin so when you are running your chmod command you need to put the entire path.

$sudo chmod +x /home/sb/el_linux/el.x86.linux.bin

Then run it the same way: $/home/sb/el_linux/el.x86.linux.bin

Try that and see what happens (but substitute your own path wherever it installed to)

I have tried everything I can think of. I am not an expert Linux user, but I have read many forums and help files. None seem to work for me.

owner@owner-OptiPlex-745:~$ ./usr/games
bash: ./usr/games: No such file or directory
owner@owner-OptiPlex-745:~$ chmod +x /user/games/el.x86.linux.bin
chmod: cannot access ‘/user/games/el.x86.linux.bin’: No such file or directory
owner@owner-OptiPlex-745:~$ sudo chmod +x /user/games/el.x86.linux.bin
chmod: cannot access ‘/user/games/el.x86.linux.bin’: No such file or directory
I even tried to move it around.
owner@owner-OptiPlex-745:~$ '/usr/games/el.x86.linux.bin'
owner@owner-OptiPlex-745:~$ chmod +x usr/games/el.x86.bin
chmod: cannot access ‘usr/games/el.x86.bin’: No such file or directory
owner@owner-OptiPlex-745:~$ '/home/owner/Downloads/el.x86.linux.bin'
owner@owner-OptiPlex-745:~$ chmod +x /home/owner/Downloads/el.x86.linux.bin
owner@owner-OptiPlex-745:~$ ./home/owner/Downloads/el.x86.linux.bin
bash: ./home/owner/Downloads/el.x86.linux.bin: No such file or directory
owner@owner-OptiPlex-745:~$ ./el.x86.linux.bin
bash: ./el.x86.linux.bin: No such file or directory

You don't have any directories called el_linux and .elc? Your binary path should be inside of /usr/games/el_linux/el.x86.linux.bin. You seem to be missing the el_linux part.

If you installed from my packages as outlined, it should just work. The package includes a launch icon. You can use the normal Unity Desktop approach to search for "Eternal Lands" which should show the launcher icon. Just click the icon to run the client. It's really that simple. No need to use the command line, change permissions or move files around. Using the Ubuntu package is very different from just downloading the client+data zip.

Using the terminal, I do not know why you received the original error message but it could be that you have another copy of the client in your path. This will not be an issue if you use the launcher icon.

However, now that you have moved files around you will have broken the package install. To restore it to working, delete the file you moved then reinstall the eternallands package:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall eternallands

owner@owner-OptiPlex-745:~$ sudo apt-get install eternallands
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
eternallands is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

It looks you already have the game installed. Use the dash (that is the launcher on the left of your screen) to locate your game. Click on the ubuntu logo in the top left corner and a window will open.

Either type "eternallands" in the search box or select "Applications" from the bottom of that window and locate the game under the "Games" category (you might have to tick the box "More" to show all the applications installed under that category). Click on the game logo to play.

That if all you say is true and you have done more and not telling. (don't use both methods given on that site, Use either the ppa one or the one with the binary.

Using the ppa, the binary it is located in "/usr/games" and data files under "/usr/share/games/EternalLands".

Question, for bluap: Could we include on the install instructions (for the ubuntu-specific instructions) what the directory paths are?

Question 2: Why is the binary not in the same directory as the data files for ubuntu? (Sub question: wouldn't it be easier for everyone if the data directory files were named consistently for everyone?)

Aislinn:

Q1: Yes we could, but why? The main point of the packages is to "just work" from the launcher. Perhaps better, as I first wrote that help page long before Unity was the default Ubuntu desktop, I should add something about using the launcher from the dash.

Q2: The binary is separate from the data files as I followed the packaging standards. The directory names are part of the standard (up to the EL bit). The /usr/games directory is in a user's $PATH by default.

Edited by bluap

Well nobody but ubuntu users are able to do a useful job helping, as you can see, without that information. It just confuses the person needing help when every linux user trying to help has something different.

I really don't mind the information being added to the package help page, it is just unnecessary IMHO as the packages (normally) just work. The install insures the files are in the expected places with the correct permissions. The launcher takes care of creating the necessary user files to ensure a successful first run. With the ZIP file install, users can install anywhere so there is no consistency. The Ubuntu packages install in a similar way as ones on Arch, but following different Arch standards I assume. I have not looked at what Burn's Suse packages do.

The only failure modes for the packages I know of are:

1) If people somehow mess up their user file permissions by for example, running as root. There have been a few examples of this and its normally a long winded tail of discovery, then manual repair along the lines of "sudo chown -R user:user ~user/.elc".

2) The package install gets interrupted. This can be fixed with standard apt-get / dpkg commands. Checks and help for this are build into the launcher assuming that bit succeeded of course.

3) Users delete/move files or change permissions manually. The best course of action here, is to reinstall the packages as that will remove all the previous files and create a fresh install. This does not usually require downloading again as the packages and data files are cached.

In Sweettea's case, I suspect that running from the terminal has picked up another copy of the client, probably from the zip download. Otherwise I would need more details to investigate.

Sorry for straying way off topic.

My fault for the off topic. We can pick it up after Sweettea is settled or you can get ingame and we can continue in #gm! :P

Sweettea!!! (In case you lost it in our OT, read this ↓ ↓ ↓)

If you installed from my packages as outlined, it should just work. The package includes a launch icon. You can use the normal Unity Desktop approach to search for "Eternal Lands" which should show the launcher icon. Just click the icon to run the client. It's really that simple. No need to use the command line, change permissions or move files around. Using the Ubuntu package is very different from just downloading the client+data zip.

Using the terminal, I do not know why you received the original error message but it could be that you have another copy of the client in your path. This will not be an issue if you use the launcher icon.

However, now that you have moved files around you will have broken the package install. To restore it to working, delete the file you moved then reinstall the eternallands package:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall eternallands

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.