Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Talixim

Unable to connect from University wifi

Hey all, currently attending college in the states. I started playing again for kicks but I cannot connect to EL while using the university's wifi. The wifi requires a user id and password to connect. 90% of my day is spent on campus either in class or at the library studying. I would like to be able to connect to EL to afk harvest and what have you however I have been unable to find a way to connect to EL.

I've tried a vpn called SpotFlux which works but it was just a free trial for a few days. I would rather not use a third party program to be able to connect but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Also does anyone use Learner's proxy server or know if it would work with this particular situation?

I doubt I would take the time to talk to the university IT guys to try and connect to the game, it's not a huge issue for me but I just thought I would see if anyone else has encountered this before.

Thank you,

busch (ingame)

Port is probably not open hence reason why Learner sells alternate connection mechanisms.

There used to be a worm/virus that used port 2000 (the one the EL main server uses). As a results, there are a number of organisations that closed that port for outgoing traffic, and never got around to open it again (it's not used by any major services, afaik).

To check if that's the issue, try connecting to test server. If that works, you know exactly what to ask the Uni IT staff.

If you don't want to do that (or IT won't open the port), you will indeed need a proxy...

Perhaps verify beforehand if that's ok (might depend on which proxy you want to use; Learner's is accepted, but he has to accept you).

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this