Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AngaMalta

DropBot

I am working on the outline for a bot that will: accept items and distribute them... like Jester/Lottery, but allows gifting to other players (with limitations). There will be no gain or benefit to the bot, the guild, or whomever is hosting the bot.

The main idea is that the bot will collect items from any player and once "loaded" will drop them for others to gather. I know it sounds dumb but... I've given many items to other players without really caring or knowing who they are.

There is a concern about promoting "bag jumping", or "bag spamming", and I'm totally against that.

Every once-in-a-while, there will be a "festival". The bot will announce what the "best item" in inventory is and drop bags for anyone to collect.

Many rules will be in place to prevent abuse, or useless festivals.

For further details refer to http://www.uthynq.com/JBDoc/index.php?title=DropBot - please don't abuse the wiki :)

As a real-world experiment, "Bag-Fest" events will be provided in the next few weeks to determine interest and gather feedback.

Any input regarding this endeavor is appreciated.

Interesting idea...especially the "festival" idea...perhaps have one geared more towards noobies, with appropriate inventory and announced on Noobie Help?

Curious to see how this works.... :icon13:

Gil_Manel

I will donate if this bot gets approved, good luck with it :) nice idea

Well, if it drops bags, and no one finds them, they poof sadly. so that is a donation wasted :\

and, if it will drop bags, it will have to move which bots cant until they can go to storage

Perhaps you can just have the bot pm the player saying they have won a free gift and to collect it from 'bot_name' at 'Location'?

Thanks for all the replies. Yep, losing items that are dropped is definitely an issue, I'd hate to see highly valued items disappear like that. Additionally, since there is no control on bags, anyone can grab them and a single player could get all the goodies.

If I can't get approval from Entropy for the bot to relocate after dropping a bag I'll have to reconsider the whole "Bag-Fest" idea.

I've never tried "tinkerbell"; guess I should have a look at that bot before doing this so it isn't a duplicate of operation. Basically I was trying to come up with something "new" that everyone could enjoy.

Basically I was trying to come up with something "new" that everyone could enjoy.

Thinking "out loud" here...

Perhaps a bot that resides on (or even walks around) IP, looking for players it has never seen before (so once per person) below some health level or perhaps some skill level after asking Gossip (so that it's generally new players) and offers them a gift by trading (using tradebot code) of some simple items that would be very helpful to a newb. Yes, it could be abused with alts, but if it's giving out leather/augmented armor and basic weapons there'd be little point in an advanced player trying to get stuff from it. If it's running a sub-set of tradebot code, anyone could give stuff to it, and it could reject anything it didn't like. The problem with armor is that they don't stack, so access to newb-storage on IP would allow it to have a larger supply of items to give out.

Again, just some blue-sky ideas to bounce around.