Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Map Editor Download

I downloaded the Windows Link from the Original Post. When I open map editor everywhere that text is supposed to show up, there is just whiteness. all menus, everything,

I've committed the fix for Linux mentioned back in an eariler entry. The map editor appears to be working OK on Linux with this and recent changes.

Edited by bluap

Can anyone compile map edit so i can use it on mac? or give the code+instr so i can do it myself? Tyvm.

(Linux users: "You could try this for 32-bit and this for 64-bit Linux." bluap's static build should still work. If not, try compile. Download and skip to step 3 below.)

All: You can compile the map editor yourself from GIT source code.

1) Download the GIT source and extract. Go into the "map_editor" directory.

2) Make the code there in command-line based on your OS...

make -f Makefile.Linux

make -f Makefile.win

(Mac: I dunno)

3) Move the created (or downloaded) executable to the same directory that your EL client's binary is in.

4) From the "map_editor" directory in the GIT source, grab the buttons.bmp and mapedit.ini files and place those in the same directory as step 3.

(There's also a mapeditor.ico in the same directory for if you want to make a desktop button or such for it.)

5) Open mapedit.ini and change the "#data_dir = " line to the path that lead to where your binary is located (and anything else in there you wish to adjust, though only the data_dir change is required).

And run the binary, which *should* work. At least, it works for me this way.

Edited by Burn

I had to make one change to get it to compile for me:

In global.h, I had to surround the #include for ../translate.h with extern C++ to prevent a ton of errors when trying to compile eye_candy_window.cpp:

#include "../cache.h"NL#ifdef __cplusplusNLextern "C++" {NL#endifNL#include "../translate.h"NL#ifdef __cplusplusNL}NL#endifNL#include "../elconfig.h"
I am sorry for the format of the above. When I try to edit it to format correctly, it looks fine in the preview, and then when I post, it's all on one line. In addition it replaces .. with the HTML escape ((ampersand)#46;). Replace "NL" with a newline to get the correct code. Edited by sgik

Looks like its caused by a libxml change but due to in appropriate use of extern "C" in the mapeditor code. Fixed in git by doing limited tidying up.

many people making client changes never bother compiling the editor to make sure they didn't break it.

If only there were many people making client changes..... One of these days, perhaps today, I'll set up a nightly build to include the map editor. But it is very badly maintained by myself and all the devs who have worked on the client in the past. There are many examples where hacks have been made just to get it building again. I suspect this has been an issue from day one of the map editor code base.

Hey Bluap (or anyone), I'm having trouble with the self-lit objects rendering properly. Going to try the editor in a different OS/distro later, but essentially:
I'll open up IotF, for example, because it has a lot of blended and self-lit objects. The apples on the ground under the tree are bright green in the game, but are just brighter versions of the normal apple red in the editor. It's the same for the blue coin in the fountain. Going into the south on the smaller island with the cave, the self lit pointy column thing in the middle which is blue in game puts a blue light all around on the snow, but isn't blue itself.
Anyone know what's going on? Is there a way to fix it, or at least a way to render the map as EL will render it so I can test it?

Self-lit stuff doesn't show correctly in the editor. Never has and may never do so.

When I've needed to test it, I've tried it on an in-game map using a separate client setup for Test server use.
In my case, I used an indoor-marked guild map, but any indoor map should suffice.

Put the item on that map and test colors viewing it there on Test. Then when getting it's correct set it up with the same colors on the map being worked on.

Or if you're lucky and can find an indoor map the same size that you can access at the location you need, get yourself to that location, then change the map to the one you're working on.