Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dunian

The Thief King's Treasure

Enly watched the man offer his skills as well. He was odd looking, unnaturally short for a draegoni. She thought the purity of his heritage was likely questionable, but he could merely be short. Yet Enly had never seen a draegoni so short and most certainly wouldn't be surprised if he had the blood of another race in him. However if he did have mixed blood it certainly didn't show on his visage, he looked very much to be a draegoni. Pushing her musings aside as they truly made no difference Enly smiled at the man.

"I don't believe we had the pleasure of meeting good sir. I believe I heard your name was Brom? Brom the storyteller?" the man nodded slightly acknowledging that she had the right name. "I am Enly, unfortunately I appear to be the only one on this vessel cursed not to have a title beside my name." she added with a grin.

Turning to Rahn Enly addressed him. "If there are no more volunteers for the position of ship's doctor, I'm certain master Brom and myself can work out something and keep our lovely voyagers in good health. Don't you think so master storyteller?" Enly looked to the draegoni, checking to see if he had any objections or further statements.

Edited by Enly

Brom nodded approvingly. He and Enly would be able to cure all of the normal maladies that came up, if something greater appeared well, they would have to be creative. Brom thought inside himself more about this Draegoni woman, she appeared to be sizing him up, not approving of this height. He was short of course for a Draegoni, but he had his reasons. He had Draegoni ancestors for many generations back, though his family lines also crossed through a strange group of Humans that lived apart from the world with another strange group of Draegoni, outcasts from both cultures. His family was Draegoni as far as anyone was concerned, but occasionally a runt was born, he happened to be it. It was his Runt-like Nature that turned Brom into a storyteller and a searcher of Knowledge. Lacking stature, he made up for it with his understanding. Of creatures and people, of love and of war. He understood why things were the way they were and is content with it.

Brom continued nodding, as if affirming what he had just thought was explained to the general populous around him, though it was not.

Brom waited eagerly for any additional instructions from Rahn.

“Well, thats settled. I'll put you both down for the position.” Rahn drew out the contract and struck off the name of the previous healer, and wrote in, "Enly/Brom" with a flourish. “I'm sure you both understand what a healer does, so I will leave it to you to work out which of you does what. If either of you has questions or concerns regarding the health and welfare of the crew, feel free to consult me or the good captain at any time.” That was one problem fixed. Now for the other one behind them...

...Rahn excused himself and exited the cabin. The Tigress was sailing due East. She was just far enough from the Bethel coast that Rahn could not see the land. He vaguely remembered hearing that elves had keener eyesight than humans, so perhaps they could see something. Maybe he would ask them sometime. But for now it didn't matter. Rahn walked over to Captain Grant, who was keeping an eye on things.

Grant was a dwarf- short, stocky and powerful. His hair and beard were jet black, with iron gray streaks running through them. Although dwarves did not usually take to the sea, Grant was an exception. He strode the decks and timbers as if he was walking the stone halls of his childhood home. Indeed, he was the first dwarven captain to sail completely around Irilion, in the winter, no less. It was for this expertise, as well as his stock of wisdom, that had convinced Rahn to hire him.

"Captain Grant, have you noticed something in the... err, backish direction?" Rahn asked the captain in a low voice.

"Eh?" Grant raised a great bushy eyebrow, "Oi, sailor. You're relieved for the present. Head aft and take a break, eh?" The tattooed sailor nodded and passed Grant as the captain stepped forward to take the wheel. If it hadn't been for Rahn's own skill at the slight-of-hand, acquired from years of... experience... Rahn wouldn't have noticed Grant pass the sailor a small spyglass.

"Do you think we're being followed?" He asked Grant, nervously. This could complicate the venture considerably.

"I cannae say, Rahn." Grant muttered thoughtfully, "But we'll know come morn. Those clouds ahead are storm clouds."

"Ah, we had best advise the crew to make ready, then." Rahn walked back to his cabin. Let the sailors do their sailing stuff. Rough waves didn't agree with him. This was not going to be a pleasant night.

The Tigress was beating fast against the wind, eastward along the Bethel coast, and behind her, Peino could see the distant white sail of the Elandria.

Too close, he thought. He needed to signal Ueka and do it soon.

Ahead, the horizon was darkened by heavy clouds. Peino could smell the storm coming on the wind. By nightfall, they would be in it, if Captain Grant did not put in to shore.

Peino half grinned and half frowned. In a storm at night, Elandria could easily slip by the heavier barque Tigress unseen, if he could somehow signal where they were going. He had complete faith in Ueka’s skills, but still, Peino hated the idea of sending his ship and his crew into a storm without him at the helm. If it was unavoidable, he at least would not send them into the storm blind. It was now or never. He was certain Ueka would have a spyglass on both the Tigress and those clouds right now.

The elf took a paper and charcoal stick from a pocket of his jacket and wrote, “Moogle’s Isle, Hurquin. ? Thief King ? P~E~” From another pocket, he took a feasting potion (he always carried a few), and quickly drank it down. Then he rolled up the note and shoved it into the small bottle, which he recorked tightly. Just then a heavily tattooed sailor passed by, headed aft, carrying a small spyglass. So, Elandria had been spotted. Peino tucked the bottle snug into the folds of his tricorn hat and followed the man.

“What is it?” he asked lightly, as he came up beside the sailor squinting through the glass towards the ship behind them.

“Nothing you need to worry about,” the sailor grumbled. “Captain just likes to know who’s about.”

“Ah,” said Peino, and stayed where he was, gazing at at the Elandria. He could see her clear as day, down to the tiny dots of crewmen on her deck, but the sailor’s eyes were apparently not so strong, even with the glass. He kept adjusting it and frowning and muttering.

At last, he turned to Peino. “Hey, elf,” he said gruffly, holding out the spyglass, “would you mind telling me what you can see?”

With a smile, Peino said, “Not at all,” and raised the glass to his eye.

A small adjustment, and the pursuing ship sprang into clear detail. He could see the tall figure of Ueka in her green clothes at the wheel, and sure enough, close by her one of the elf crewmen -- red hair, white shirt; probably his cousin Oelas -- with a glass trained right at him. Peino removed his hat, setting it on the rail, and shook out his long white hair like a flag in the late day sunshine. Right on cue, the other elf in the distance waved an arm. He had seen.

“Well?”, said the sailor standing beside Peino.

“She has the markings of Irsis. Probably just a fishing vessel or a small trader, perhaps bound for Melinis. I see no sign of danger about her.”

Raising the spyglass again to his eye, Peino knocked his hat off the railing. It flew a little way on the wind and landed in the Tigress’s wake, floating on the waves like a tiny boat carrying its secret cargo.

“Oops,” said Peino.

“Oh, your hat,” said the sailor with insincere sympathy.

Peino shrugged. “Maybe with my share of the treasure, I’ll buy a new one.” Looking back to the Elandria, he saw the elf lookout waving again. Hopefully, that meant he had seen the trick with the hat.

Peino handed the glass back to the sailor.

“You know your way around a ship,” said the man.

“I’ve been at sea before.”

“There’s a storm coming.”

“I know.”

“We could use as many hands as we can get. Why don’t you come forward and talk to Captain Grant?”

Peino grinned. “I may as well.”

As Rahn slipped quickly out of the cabin, Enly caught sight of Peino looking off into the distance, towards storm clouds. Turning to Brom, Enly gave the draegoni a quick farewell, she could work out healing business later. Besides, she'd seen no one sick on the ship so far. If they fell ill or were injured... she'd take care of them then.

"Excuse me master Brom but I've been meaning to catch up with an acquaintance, I'm sure we can discuss the matters of healing later," she smiled and nodded her head in a slight bow then left the cabin. Realizing belatedly she had been rather rude and not given Brom much chance to chat, she hesitated outside the cabin door. But deciding she'd already made her decision she shrugged and looked about the ship. She could speak with Brom later, for now she wanted to know what the sea elf aboard was up to.

Enly glanced at the horizon as she stood outside, there were most certainly storm clouds there. Spotting Peino walking with a sailor Enly hurried to walk beside him. Laying a hand gently but firmly on his shoulder, she made him slow his pace slightly so the sailor walked a bit ahead.

"I'm no sailor, but I know storm clouds when I see them." she said to him, then leaning closer and speaking quietly so the sailors about would not hear, she spoke again "And I could be a fool, but I'd bet my hat your Elandria is trailing us. What are you up to Lord Peino?" She couldn't resist her own curiosity, she was almost certain that Peino would have his ship trailing the Tigress. And she was dying to know what he planned to do, steal the treasure? Or perhaps he just wanted his friends nearby. Either way Enly was curious, she had an infallible desire to know things. However she hadn't seen Peino mention his ship about, so she surely wouldn't be responsible for revealing it to the crew. That was why she'd whispered her later comment.

Edited by Enly

A hand fell upon Peino’s shoulder, and he found himself being slowed by the lady Enly.

"I'm no sailor, but I know storm clouds when I see them,” she said, and then leaned in close and whispered, "And I could be a fool, but I'd bet my hat your Elandria is trailing us. What are you up to Lord Peino?"

Peino took the Draegoni by the arm. The sailor he had been chatting with looked back.

“I’ll be along in a moment,” the elf said to him, and then drew Enly towards the rail. When they were out of the way of the sailors rushing about their business, Peino affected a casual posture.

“So,” he said, “may I take it you are our ship’s doctor? Yes? Congratulations. I suggest you go below and get ready for some vomiting patients and perhaps a few injuries, hopefully minor. You are right, that is a storm ahead of us, and we seem set upon riding through it rather than around it. As for...that other matter...,” Peino lowered his voice to a whisper, “tell me, do you know our friendly leader, Rahn? Do you know any more details of what he has in mind for us or what lies ahead? No? Nor do I, and as we Sea Elves say, better trust your own chart than a stranger’s. I would appreciate your silence. Now I am going to pay my respects to the captain. I want to take the measure of the man who is going to guide us through that storm.”

With that, Peino hurried after the sailor who was to introduce him to Captain Grant. He wondered if Enly would follow to introduce herself as well. He would, if he were her, but perhaps only because he had doubts about relying on Rahn the Merchant for all information or permissions aboard this ship.

The tattooed sailor brought him up to a short, strongly built Dwarf with gray streaks of maturity through his deep black hair and beard. He stood at the helm of his ship as stably as upon the solid rock of a Dwarven stronghold. The sailor introduced Peino as an elf who might be useful, and the Dwarf looked Peino up and down with a caustic eye, then laughed sharply and spat over the side.

“A Sea Elf, by gar!” he growled. “What are you doing on my ship?”

“Floating,” Peino replied with deliberate lack of deference.

Captain Grant spat and laughed again. “For the moment.” He stared at Peino with eyes sharp as swords, in which Peino saw iron-hard determination and a quick intelligence, considering options and making connections even at that moment. Not a man to trifle with, this Grant, so Peino stood his ground and met that judging gaze square on, until a grim smile spread across the Dwarf’s face.

“What’s your name, Elf?”

“Peino of Irsis.”

“Bah! You Sea Elves lie like goblins! So, you think that other ship we spied is just a fishing or trading vessel?”

“That’s what she looked like.”

The Dwarf grumbled low within his beard. “Very well, if you say so. I assume you’ve weathered your share of storms, eh?”

“I have.”

“Of course, and no doubt conjured your share with that dark magic your kind practices.”

“That is a myth, Captain.”

“Ha! So you say. You can man the wheel with me tonight. We’ll see what you’re made of and decide what you’re good for on the morrow. Agreed?”

“Agreed.”

“Report to me at five bells, then.”

Peino was glad. He had no doubt that Captain Grant wanted him close by only because he was suspicious of him, but as a captain in his own right, Peino would not have been able to ride out the storm in peace anywhere but at the wheel.

Enly had asked him what he was up to, and in truth, he didn't know yet. All he knew was that he was sailing into the unknown and he would be damned by Mortos if he would not have his own brave crewmates and his own ship to back him up. Just how they would need to do that was entirely up to Rahn the Merchant and whatever plan he might unfold. At the present moment, Peino was only interested in getting to the other side of the night's weather.

OOC: Sorry I have been gone, On a trip, though it looks as if I will take a good position in a Tech company in Utah. Muahahaha! Anyway.

Brom was not hurt externally by the mere glance he recieved from Enly, but he was not happy for it. He had been hoping to introduce himself and see what type of mess he had just gotten himself into, and see if she would be able to handle everything, or if she would require a great deal of help with healing. One of the main reasons for taking up the position of a healer was to get closer to the captain and Rahn. As Brom would be required to have a greater deal of communication with them both, he felt assured the would soon be trusted enough that his direction and opinions would be heard appropriately.

Brom strolled up onto the deck to see what was going on, and to see what other types of people had joined this quest. Brom was an analyser, he loved to look at people and learn things about them just from sight. Tatoos, armours, methods and styles of clothes, all revealed the type of person someone was. He even noticed one or two that seemed out of place. For example, an elf that seemed too-magical to be a sailor, or a man who carried himself with remarkable ease on a deck, but he was not a sailor, just a hired mercenary like he. He took them in, and learned of each person. Then Brom walked to the bow of the ship to look out onto the waves. The sea really did have an appeal that was unmatched in nature. He loved it. Brom stared out over the waves, looking as some fishing ship was following slowly at the edge of the horizon.

OOC: Sorry I have been gone, On a trip, though it looks as if I will take a good position in a Tech company in Utah. Muahahaha! Anyway.

OOC: Gratz in advance, Brom. :evilgrin: You didn't miss much. Our RP leader has also been absent. I've been hoping for some more from him before getting into the storm he put in front of us. /OOC

Peino's rather cryptic response had not lent Enly the answers she was hoping for. But she left the sea elf to his business and figured all would reveal itself in time as their journey played out.

Remembering the draegoni Brom, Enly quickly scanned the ship for him and managed to find him peering over the bow of the vessel into the sea. Going to stand beside him she smiled and greeted him, wishing to apologize for her curt attitude previously.

"Brom," she nodded cordially. "I apologize for my rude manner earlier, I often allow myself to get distracted by matters other than those at hand. We've not yet had a chance to properly talk, I am Enly. And I've practiced magic since I was a young girl, I am confident I will be able to heal many ailments on our journey, but am comforted it will not be my responsibility alone. What knowledge do you have of the healing arts? You have the look of a wise man," she told him with a grin.

{OOC} I have some computer issues right now, so apologies if I don't respond soon, just nudge me along in the story if I vanish :medieval:{/OOC}

Broms expression did not change as Enly appologized. Inside, Brom did not feel an appology was truly necessary, but then again, women always did have a different view of "what was needed" in a given relation.

"You are forgiven" was Broms response, then he quickly added, "I was not offended, you will find I do not offend easily." I understand that when you are busy with important matters at hand, a casual conversation just for traditions sake is not truly necessary. I am Brom the Storyteller, I am a historian of sorts. I enjoy Mythlore and solid history equally, I can play several instruments if needed to entertain while I tell stories. I have also gotten myself mixed up in quite a few adventures, mainly a result of my unending curiosity for the past, present, and future.

For example, one of the first teams to cross into Irlillon had a nearly-equal team of stowaways, I was one of them. After the first adventures in Irillion I left for two years to serve Aluwen, my Goddess. I left with a small team to the Islands to the south, they are not known as of yet amoungst the general Draian populace, but there are those amoung the Draegoni that know of them. After my two years, I returned, and found Draia completely changed around, with new technology and culture. I was working to catch up on it when I heard of another adventure that pulled at me. Since I usually follow my inner-senses, I did so this time, and here I am speaking with a very kind Draegoni woman who will likly teach me much more about healing.

I am experienced enough to heal minor and major cuts and bruses, bone breaks and sicknesses are not too much work either. The fun comes in when the crew catches the cursed-sicknesses, because they require great strength of magic and greater understanding of how to undo a curse. I am proficient in potion making as well, though I imagine we are stocked up well on this ship with potions.

Tell me more about yourself, where did you come from? What makes you the way you are?"

Edited by Brom

The Tigress’s course carried her round the tip of Melinis, treacherous waters even in good weather, and as night descended, she sailed into the teeth of a screaming gale amid massive swells like country hills rolling across the sea.

At five bells, Peino had reported as ordered to Captain Grant. After their talk, he had changed his heavy augmented armor for plain leathers, darkened and slicked by many soakings in rain and salt water. He had packed away his brown cloak, though his dagger was still tucked into his boot, and he had tied up his long hair to keep it out of his face in the wind.

“You don’t shy away from the weather, I see,” Captain Grant had said, looking him over. “That’s good. Take the wheel, Mr. Sea Elf.”

As soon as Peino had done so, he’d felt the life of the Tigress under his hands -- the tension between the wheel and the rudder, how the ship resisted or wanted not to resist the force of the sea beneath her and the wind in her sails above her. He had smiled, and Captain Grant, watching closely, had grinned at him.

Now, the dark-skinned elf focused all his concentration on the feel of the ship and all his strength on controlling the wheel, for it was up to him to keep the Tigress steady as the enormous waves of the storm rolled around her. Grant, steady as a rock as always, shouted endless commands to his crew manning the lines and sails, to ride the clawing banshee winds without losing spars or masts. The Tigress growled and snapped under the strain like her namesake, but she held together and raced through the dark and the chaos.

Peino knew the course they were following well, and he figured Grant knew he knew it, for all the dwarf had said to him was “Round the point, Mr. Sea Elf,” without giving him any bearings. Indeed, Peino needed no bearings. He knew instinctively where they were, how far from the deadly rocks of the desert coast, and what line he had to follow to avoid the sandbars around Smee Isle. So he gave himself over entirely to the ship in his hands, steering her into the oncoming swells, with her bow cutting into the great walls of water, then rising as the wave lifted her, up over the crest and down again on the other side, never letting her slide or haw, keeping her steady and straight to meet the next one. Up and over and down, and up and over and down, with almost a rhythmic regularity as the sea elf came to sense the nature, the beat, as it were, of the storm.

Each time the Tigress met a wave, the spray broke over her bows, dowsing the deck, sending men skidding over the slick wood. The wind shrieked in the rigging overhead, and the driving rain beat on Peino’s face and body so heavily, he might as well have been swimming in the mad waters. Somewhere out there, the Elandria was tearing her way through this same storm. He could imagine her lean lines slicing through the swells like a sword’s edge, and though he had complete faith in Ueka, who had been his apprentice before becoming his first mate and good friend, Peino still felt a sharp pang of worry about his ship and his crew.

But he had no time for that. Shaking those thoughts out of his head, he came back to the ship he was on. He could do nothing for the Elandria. It was the Tigress and her crew who depended on him now, so he renewed his grip on the wheel as Captain Grant yelled orders to the men laboring about them.

[OOC: What happened to Dunian? I got bored waiting for him to bring on the storm so I went ahead and did it myself. Hope he doesn't mind. :P /OOC]

[OOC: Sorry, Dunian has been having finals. School is finishing up, but its trying to kill me first ><. Rahn is a little busy at the moment and isn't gonna be much help during the storm anyways, so yalls can take us through as long as we arrive at Moogle's Isle in once piece./OOC]

Agony... Woe... Misery upon misery. As the water roared without, Rahn groaned within. There was no other way to put it: He was seasick. Why oh why had he set off on this silly adventure? Not for the first time, Rahn vowed that once he got the chance, he would stay on good, dry land until someone invented a cure.

Enly listened to the draegoni Brom curiously, she felt he was the sort of person who could tell you many amazing things. Both about himself, his travels, and what legends he might know.

"Tell me more about yourself, where did you come from? What makes you the way you are?" asked Brom.

Enly considered the draegoni's question for a few moments. "Well there is little to tell of me, I was born in the draegoni city of Iscalrith, left as soon as I was able to fend for myself, and have wandered far and wide since then. I've seen and done many things, some less noble than others, I've learned magic and the healing arts from kinder folk. And I've learned to fight and defend myself by the instruction of folk less inclined to be kind. I've heard a hundred tales, met a thousand people, seen a million things. Yet when I think about them all of them are rather meaningless, and I just keep wandering and seeking new adventures and meeting new people. Its almost as if I'm looking for something, yet I'm not, and even if I am I surely have no idea what it is."

Pausing Enly ran a hand through her hair absently. "Life brings what it will, and I just keep following its flow, learning and traveling. And now fate has brought me here, to a new voyage and adventure. And that is all I can really say of me, without boring you with the details of my wanderings. You mentioned you can make potions? Thats good, I can make a few simple ones but I'm not very skilled at it. Magic can do wonders for healing, but too often you just need a potion to fix things. If you feel you need it I could try to teach you what I've learned from healers across the lands. However I'm sorry to say that though I may be good at learning things, I can be terrible at trying to teach them to someone else." Enly grinned at the draegoni.

"I trust you and I shall get along well though, and can both learn many things from each other. I would love to hear some of the myths and legends you might know. I've heard a fair few in my travels, but it seems that every new person that I meet has one I've not heard before."

Looking about Enly paused again and listened to the sounds from outside the cabin, and finally registered the less than peaceful rocking of the ship. "However I do believe we've gotten ourselves into a lovely storm. Perhaps we should go out and see what assistance we might offer the noble crew?"

We should go and see if they need assistance. Thank you for telling me about yourself, If you know where a person comes from, it is easier to pick up on what they will do in a given situation. I am very good at reading people, their emotions and feelings, nearly their thoughts sometimes. Using that ability I can see there is something awry on this ship. I understand if you cannot tell me, but should you know something and need a honest source to tell it to, I ask that you will consider me. I am completely Honest.

Brom looked to Enly, waiting for an expression, when none came, he continued. "Keep a sharp eye then." He said it because she did not have to answer the oddly-phrased and drawn out question, what was important is that they work together in keeping their heads in this adventure.

For a while, it seemed as if this night would last forever. Almost blinded by the lashing rain, soaked through by the waves and spray that slammed over the railings, Peino struggled to keep the Tigress on an even keel as Captain Grant, somewhere foreward where Peino could not see him, oversaw the men manning the sails and rigging. Grant was doing an excellent job of keeping the sails full of wind, rather than shredded by it, but the storm seemed determined to tear the ship apart while it had her in its clutches. Even through the howling of the wind, Peino could hear the terrible whip-crack of snapping lines and the splintering of wood as various supports gave way under the pressure.

But the sea elf could also sense the end of the storm coming. Even now, he could feel a difference in the air, in the rising screams of the wind, that told him they were approaching the storm wall, beyond which would be clear sailing. He just hoped they'd make it before they lost a mast.

Just then, two figures stumbled their way towards him. He recognized Enly and with her was the old man, Brom. He wondered why they had risked coming up on deck, but he didn't bother to ask. It had to be acknowledged that, despite the danger and difficulty, Peino was enjoying himself. Even in a storm like this, the sea was his native "land," and he felt completely at home. So, with his white hair whipping madly around his head, and his dark face slicked by the cold, salty rain that stung his eyes, he grinned at the draegoni Enly and shouted, "Enjoying the ride, my lady?"