Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dunian

The Thief King's Treasure

Anyone is welcome to join in, just please post in the OOC Thread first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was that in-between time in Half-Raven Tavern, that time between the midday meal and dinner, a time between the bustle of morning, and the carousing of the evening. Instead, it was the time where the heat of day burned hottest, when adventurers, sailors, merchants and fishermen alike gathered indoors for a cool drink. With this broad spectrum of humanity (as well as other races) milling around the tavern, no one even looked up when Rahn the Merchant entered the Tavern.

Rahn was shorter than the average human, although he still stood higher than a dwarf. Although not what could rightfully be called "fat", he did have the appearance of someone who did not pursue physical exercise, and grew out rather than up. He was dressed in a white shirt and brown breeches, and wore a green cape. His hat was the latest style: A smart, black tricorn hat with a feather set in it. However, he removed this crowning splendor as he stepped through the doorway, revealing dark, brown hair.

Rahn stepped up to the bar, after greeting the barman (who did not appear to be totally pleased at his appearance), he raised his voice slightly, as though he didn't care if he was (or perhaps wanted to be) heard.

"I'm looking for a some crewmen to accompany me on a little voyage..."

After taking a sip of his frothy drink, he added: "It involves treasure. Know anyone who might be interested?"

Mid-afternoon in the Half-Raven, the best public house in Idaloran. It was the lull time between midday and dinner, and though the tavern was still quite full, the noise had settled down to a jovial hum of conversations. Among the drinkers at the bar, sat a lone elf, deep in thought over a tankard of mead. A plate bearing the remains of a meal -- a few chicken bones and a bread crust -- was pushed a little away from him, and he leaned his elbow on the bar as he absently drummed his fingers on the tankard, stopping now and then to take a sip from it, then returning to his drumming.

He was Peino Ereonis of the elfen port of Irsis. Though few knew him personally in the Idaloran capitol, his family, the House of Ereon, were well connected to the merchants and ministers of the Idal Empire. Peino had sailed his ship into Crimshin Port seven days ago, bearing cargo from the Redmoons and the northern desert lands to sell for gold coin. In his comings and goings over the week, he had become a familiar figure at the Half-Raven -- slender and tall (over six feet, nearly as tall as a Draegoni), with the dark blue-gray skin and deep black eyes of a sea elf, his striking white hair falling down his back, and always dressed in elegant blue and embroidered leather with a golden plume adorning his blue cavalier’s hat and a long sword in a silver-embossed scabbard hanging at his hip.

Today, the sword was off his belt and resting across his lap, and the fashionable hat hung with his leather jacket on the back of his chair. As of the morning, he had concluded the last of his business in Idaloran, ending a three-month winter voyage of trade around the coasts of Irilion. A profitable voyage it had been, but a rather dull grind of ferrying goods from one port to another, loading and unloading and loading again, and the tiring chores of price haggling and bookkeeping. Now it was done, and the money was made, and by rights, he should sail home to Irsis, pay off his crew, and spend some time with his family.

But he hesitated.

For it was springtime. Winter, with its storms and bitter cold fogs, was over, and at last the sun felt hot upon a person’s skin and the air was fresh and sharp. It was times like this that sailors’ hearts felt an urge for adventure even greater than the yearning for home. And so Peino loitered over his mead and thought about what he felt like doing.

Then a voice spoke up nearby: "I'm looking for a some crewmen to accompany me on a little voyage... It involves treasure. Know anyone who might be interested?"

At the word “treasure,” the sea elf’s ears perked. He looked up to find the speaker.

The first thing he saw was an annoyed expression on the barman’s face as he looked at someone a few seats away. Leaning back to get a look around the other patrons, Peino saw a short, pudgy human lifting a foaming mug to his mouth. He looked like an ordinary merchant, with nothing flashy about him except maybe the brand new tricorn hat tucked under his arm. Not someone you’d peg for a treasure hunter.

Peino drained his mead and gestured to the barman for another. As the man uncorked a new bottle and brought it over to him, the elf rocked back in his chair and watched the merchant enjoy his drink, wondering just what kind of a deal the little fellow might be trying to run.

Enly wandered down the streets of Idaloran, a contented half-smiled on her face. It had been so long since she'd felt at ease like this, somehow she seemed to always be preoccupied with one worry or another. Yet today, and the past several days, she'd had not a care in the world. It was good to walk and think of nothing but the air she breathed and stones beneath her feet. In a peaceful mood like this, Enly was a completely different person then at other times. She whistled, and glanced about her at the people, the houses, then above at the clear blue sky and the bright sun that spoke of nothing but spring.

It was incredibly relaxing to feel that sunshine sinking into her sapphire hair. Being a draegoni born in the far south, heat could sometimes bother her. Yet despite the spring weather, the sun was hardly blazing hot, and just right to keep the draegoni slightly more than warm. Her green horns and the few scales on her cheeks and hands glittered in the light. Sometimes the bright colors of her hair and scales annoyed her, not today though. Today was a day with no hiding, running, fighting. Today was a day she happily let the sun shine on her, without a care in the world... for now.

Walking by the familiar Half-Raven tavern, Enly fancied she'd stop in for a drink. Having been to nearly every corner of the known world, almost all locations were 'familiar' to Enly. Nothing was ever as familiar to her as the beautiful lands of Palon Vertas however, which she called home. Unfortunately though, she was rarely at her home. More often she was wandering the lands, meeting new people, seeing new places. Yet somehow she always was finding herself caught up in another new problem, which would carry her around for weeks. Keeping her stressed and busy, without time to slow down and breath in the sunshine. She wasn't going to be snatched away by some new problem today however, no, today she was breathing in the sunshine.

Enly entered the tavern just behind a rather short human. He had a brown tricorn hat which he swept off with a flourish as he entered the building. Slipping around him, Enly removed her own black buccaneer hat. She tucked it into her leather belt, which rather crumpled it at times, but she didn't mind. Straightening her black tunic she sat down at a table somewhat near the bar. Black, that seemed be the only color she'd worn the past week. I really do need to visit home and find some new changes of clothes to pack around Draia, she thought to herself. Several blocks away her belongings sat in a guest room at a friends town house. Yet all her clothes were similar to the black tunic and baggy pants she already wore. Perhaps now was a good time to return home, rather than be drawn into the fresh adventures of spring.

As she sat there contemplating this, the man whom had entered before her said something. He'd walked up to the bar and spoken so loudly she was sure the entire tavern had heard.

"I'm looking for a some crewmen to accompany me on a little voyage..." The man said. He then paused to take another drink. "It involves treasure. Know anyone who might be interested?"

A voyage? And treasure? Sounded like one of those fresh spring adventures. Enly couldn't resist finding out at least a bit more about this man. So she moved to the bar, a few seats away from him, and ordered some wine to drink while she waited to see if he would say more, or perhaps someone would approach him on the matter.

Brom had awoke later than normal, probably due to the late night he had before. No alcohol was involved with his sleeping in however, Brom had given that up years ago. Though he had given up the "relaxing juice" he still enjoyed the company of happy people, and a great place to find them, was in the tavern. As thus, Brom found himself in a tavern again, playing a game of chess again in the Half-Raven, not truly being entertained by it, because the person who had accepted to play the game with him was a fool. He must have been the town loon to be honest, he kept moving his knights in strange patterns that were not even close to a "7" or "L".

Brom, having recently returned from a two year long mission for Aluwen, was upset with the abrupt change of pace to his life. He had grown accustomed to action and adventure and brave new frontiers and magic, that, the life he now led was completely dull. Brom had the greatest desire to leave this world of boredom and travel out again, find out a reliving of old stories or just simply be engaged in some matter bigger than his own carnal desires.

"I'm looking for a some crewmen to accompany me on a little voyage..."

"It involves treasure. Know anyone who might be interested?"

Schooling his face and emotions Brom began to listen intently. The man, if Brom's predictions were correct, was sitting just behind him at the bar. Brom thought, What is this man thinking proclaiming out loud he was in search of treasure, what a great way to get yourself beat up for information. Then, thinking again, Perhaps he knows what he is doing and I am the old fool again, Well, I have been praying for something to do, I might as well hop in on this. Perhaps it is yet another young adventurer after some legend that he heard in a tavern some night while drunk. For all Brom knew, he was after a myth that he himself had brought back from his travels. Brom was, after all, a storyteller, and delighted in history, myths, legends, and general writings that were passed down from the older generations to the younger ones.

Making one more move on the chessboard, Brom called, "Checkmate." and, not even looking at the response of his opponent, walked over to the bar and took the closest seat to the man who had pronounced those legend-starting words. Brom noticed quite a few heads turn toward the man. He also heard an increase on the whispering in the tavern, some people moved to seats a little closer to see what would happen, or, to enlist with the man in his journey.

Placing a firm hand on the back of the portly man, and the other hand in a position for a handshake, he boldy said, "The name's Brom, Brom the Storyteller. Whats yours?"

Edited by Brom

Rahn withdrew a scroll and a pen from a small case and spread them out on the bar behind him. He knew it would not be long before he had some potential crewmen, especially after he had thrown out the word "treasure". Of course it would also attract trouble, but how much more trouble could he get than he had now?

At the thought "trouble", a hand fell on his shoulder. Rahn turned around to see a Dragoni towering nearly a head above him. Not that it was hard to do so, although when Rahn looked closer, he observed that the stranger seemed a little shorter than most Dragoni.

However he seemed friendly enough. Rahn shook his outstreched hand. "My name, good sir is Rahn son of Caun, last of the merchant clan of Ceannaí. I take it you are interested in joining the crew?" Rahn took up his pen and the scroll and motioned to a table near the window.

Akadesh listened intently to the Captain's offer. He was sitting alone on a table adjacent to the wall, facing in the opposite direction of the human dressed in merchant drinking attire. A length of parchment, an inkwell, and a quill lay on the table before him, he pretended to busy himself with writing while man after man signed up for the voyage. He seemed quite valid, but one could never be too trusting of anyone, and even though he could not sense any resonating dark magic from the man, he waited for more people to ask about the adventure before making an act himself.

He had been in the tavern since noon, writing down an inventory of all his possessions. He had secured himself a small room in the illustrious Tasengaard Magic School in Seridia, and was in the process of moving any items of value to him to the school. The list was barely populated though, no matter how much he thought he couldn't come up with more than a few items that were worth even a low value to him. Mind you, the only things he really cared about were already tucked away safely, he dared not remove them from their domain for an event not apocalyptic.

A Draegoni tapped the man on the shoulder a few minutes later. She was much taller than him, but a little shorter than that of her kin. Her hair was a beautiful sapphire blue, adorned with blue scales which sparsely covered her visible body. From head to toe flowing green robes concealed her physique. Aphistolas noted she carried a small bag of essences with her, but was otherwise unarmed. She stood out among the crowd, whom upon brief inspection looked like the tavern's normal patrons.

He waited to hear what would transpire, pretending to begin writing once again upon the parchment.

It didn’t take long for the merchant’s annoucement to get interest flowing. Idaloran City was a major port and always full of idle sailors, adventurers, and warriors for hire, all looking for somewhere to go and something to do. Within a moment of his first statement, an unusually short and ancient-looking Draegoni stood up from the table where he had been playing chess and greeted the merchant in a friendly manner.

"The name's Brom,” he said, “Brom the Storyteller. Whats yours?"

To which the merchant responded, "My name, good sir is Rahn son of Caun, last of the merchant clan of Ceannaí. I take it you are interested in joining the crew?" And like a true merchant with something to sell, he took over a nearby table and laid out a scroll and pen and ink with which to start signing on crewmen.

A crowd quickly formed. In amongst the jostling would-be enlistees, Peino spotted a flash of shining blue hair. He knew that color, and the tall Draegoni woman it adorned, a woman he had crossed paths with before once or twice. He wondered why someone like her would be interested in something like this. But then he thought that, if he himself was going to be interested in it, he’d better do something about it.

Tossing down some coins to pay for his food and drinks, Peino hung his sword upon his belt, pulled on his leather jacket, and set his blue cavalier upon his head. In just a few steps, he pushed his way through the crowd around the scroll, past the Draegoni, past Brom the Storyteller, ahead of the next person in line, to take the pen neatly from the man who had just finished signing his name. With the pen in his hand, the tall, dark, elegant Elf looked down at the unprepossessing Rahn, son of Caun.

“Pray tell me, sir,” he said, “before I sign my name to this, will you be our captain, and when do we sail?”

{OOC comment:} @ Aphistolas -- you seem to refer to yourself as both Akadesh and Aphistolas in your first post. ??? {/OOC}

Edited by peino

Enly watched the man who called himself Brom go and tap Rahn on the shoulder. Within a few moments there was a small flurry of people following Rahn to the table to write their names on the list for the voyage.

Taking a sip of her wine Enly faced away, debating whether she really wanted to get herself in to some other adventure. This could just be another sad pointless chase for myths across the continents. Yet she had an adventurous feeling today, it seemed to always come when she wasn't busy or worried. Being still never suited Enly, she was always up to something. It could be dangerous also however, this man might be on to something and Enly could end up signing herself up for more than she'd bargained for. Yet what was life without a little risk? There were several fair arguments for signing up, and not really too many valid ones against it.

Finishing up the last of her drink Enly decided that she really had nothing better to do, and made her way towards the table to add her name to the list. A reckless pointless decision some would think, but for Enly, sometimes things didn't need a point. Sometimes she did things just for the fun of it, and to have a way to spend her time.

As she tried to join the odd jumble that some folk considered a line, a tall dark elf brushed past her and the crowds, headed for the table. A slight smile came to Enly's face, she had run across the elf before. And though she didn't know him well, this sort of thing seemed to be just what the elf would love.

Less eager to write her name down before the masses, Enly waited patiently as the dark elf questioned the man who'd started this little call to adventure.

Though Brom had been the first to greet the man Rahn, he was not the first to sign the scroll that was pulled out. Brom had no intention of signing anything unless he knew what he was getting into. Thinking of the mistakes he had made in the past Brom spoke in a mild tone to Rahn, "Please tell me a little more about this voyage before I place my name in stone. I am a man of Honor, once signed I will not leave until the task is done or I am dead, under these self-binding rules I demand to know more of this... this... Brom seemed to struggle for the word. This Adventure.

Immediately after speaking these words an elf brushed past him with a little too much animation Brom thought, and signed the paper waiting on the table. "“Pray tell me, sir,” he said, “before I sign my name to this, will you be our captain, and when do we sail?”" Brom added quickly, "Yes more information please." If you need a better place to divulge your story, I have several places we can go to speak in a closed setting, but I will not sign nor commit myself to anything until I know what I am up against at least to a vague level."

Brom glanced back to see many more people line up in the haphazard que, he even saw a beautiful blue-haired Draegoni, who was not set in armour like the majority of the races there, but was wearing simple clothing with a bag of essence. Promising, Brom thought to himself. though he disiplined his thoughts and looked back to Rahn, awaiting a response.

Edited by Brom

Ah, details. Well, these would be coming sooner or later. Better sooner.

"It is really quite simple my dear gentlemen. This is a standard treasure hunting document. You sign on for a share of all treasure gained during the duration of the trip. Three shares for the owner of the venture, three shares for the Captain, two shares for the quartermaster, two for the doctor, and one share for soldiers and sailors. The contract is only legally binding for three weeks, or until the owner disolves the contract, whichever comes sooner. The contract also contains provisions for death, injury, etc. etc."

"To simply put it, I know of a treasure, and I need a crew to help me obtain it. As far as to when we set off, we will head to my ship as soon as this list is full. Which shouldn't be long. Are you gentlemen interested?"

Peino suppressed a smile when he heard Rahn’s words. He knew perfectly well what the contract they were signing was. He had signed many of them, and written many when hiring crews for his own ship as well, over the years. But it was rare for someone to sign a crew without even telling them the name of the ship or the captain. Experienced sailors always wanted to know who they would be serving under -- whether he had a good or bad reputation -- before putting themselves at the mercy of a captain on the open sea. Obviously, Rahn had to be careful with his information, but this much secrecy made Peino wonder about both the merchant’s maritime experience and the legality of the proposed venture.

Peino considered the short, soft-bodied human. He hardly seemed the cutthroat type, and yet... In that moment, Peino made one his classic impulsive decisions, the kind he usually made at gaming tables or anytime he felt someone was trying to bluff him.

Quickly, he signed his name to the contract -- Peino. That was all.

“I have something to do right now,” he said, laying down the pen. “I’ll be at the docks by the next tide. I’ll be looking for you, since you won’t tell me which ship to go to.”

With that, he pushed through the crowd and left the Half-Raven.

The afternoon sun blazed on the roofs and paving stones of Idaloran City, and the streets were full of people and wagons. The sea elf rushed across town to the main gate of the city. He had little time, and it was vital that he find who he was looking for. He had a good idea where to look. Leaving the city, he half-ran across the meadows of Idaloran, looking for a flash of long green hair. He found her at last, in a wood near the cemetery, hunting hawks with bow and arrow.

“Ueka!”, Peino shouted.

The tall, strong Draegoni woman lowered her bow as Peino came running up to her. Green was her color, as she was dressed in her usual green tunic and pants that complemented the shimmering green hair that flowed in the breeze, and the greenish scales and horns that glittered about her tanned face. She was Ueka of Irinveron, the First Mate of Peino’s crew, and had sailed with him on many voyages as his most trusted comrade.

“Ueka!”, Peino cried. “Gather the crew and make ready to sail on the next tide. We have no time to lose.”

“Where are we going?”, asked the Draegoni.

“I have no idea. Come on.”

Ueka gave Peino a skeptical, parental kind of a look as he pulled her along by the sleeve. “What have you done now?”

“Don’t scold your captain. Just get Elandria ready. I’ll send a messenger to tell you which ship to follow.”

“Where will you be?”

“On the ship you’ll be following. You are to match the course but stay out of sight as much as possible. You’ll be in command. Keep an eye out for signals and messages from me.”

“What the -- what is all this about?”

“Treasure. Adventure. Sailing,” Peino grinned up at the towering Draegoni. “What more do you need?” They were close to the Idaloran road now. “Whatever it takes, be ready to go on the next tide. I’m off to the docks. Go! Hurry!”

He saw Ueka take off at a run towards the city to hunt down their crew and make other preparations. Then Peino headed for the docks to see if he could find a ship getting fitted out and loaded for a possibly long and dangerous voyage.

{OOC: edited to fix a typo. nothing major.}

Edited by peino

Brom looked at Rahn, studying him for a moment, looking deep into his eyes, then nodded his approval. He signed the paper "Brom" and left it at that. This trip was still extremely vague, and he hoped that soon he would get more information. He did not feel that this Rahn trusted him yet, but he soon would. He saw the slight elf running out of the tavern, scampering with haste. "I have a few duties to see to before I go, I will be at the docks in half an hour. With that, Brom turned about and headed off, only affording a glance toward the Draegoni woman still in line.

A casual stroll though the town brought him to the storage. Brom re-arranged his armours and essence, preparing a little of everything, He had custom tailoring done so that his clothing could carry extra knives and a great deal of essence in its many pouches below the armour. He pulled out his trusty Titanium steel longsword and belted it on. He was a Jack-of-all trades, but only because he had a great curiosity and a love for history. Brom knew legends upon legends and myths upon myths, not to mention noted and recent history. He was more valuable for his information that he was for his sword, but he could be useful at any skill. He hoped that the Captain of this voyage would notice his knowledge and use it to his best.

Prepared for just about anything, Brom strode to the docks, realizing he would arrive ten minutes earlier than he had expected.

Enly lingered patiently as the first few, such as Peino, and the draegoni Brom, signed their names upon the parchment. She was letting the eager warriors and treasure seekers sign up for the voyage, several tried to slip in front of her in line, yet she countered deftly by slipping ahead of them again. They would growl and glare at her, but Enly would simply glare back. Too many of these warriors expected a woman, draegoni or not, to be a weakling afraid to challenge their might. However Enly's simple defiance quickly shut must of them up.

In due time she reached the front of the little mob, and signed off her name in flowing script, Enly. Without pausing for another moment, she proceeded out of the tavern and back into the bustling streets of Idaloran. Gently pulling her hat from her belt, Enly smoothed it and re-bent it to its proper shape, and placed it snugly on her head.

Making her way through the streets towards the house where she was currently lodged, Enly went over in her mind what she would be bringing. A few blocks away from the half-raven she reached her friend's home. Pulling a key from her pocket she unlocked the door and let herself in. Sunlight filtered into the house through the thin white curtains of the front windows, and Enly could tell from the absence of her friend's cloak near the door that she was not at home.

Quickly, yet without undue haste, Enly moved to the back of the house to the room she used. Here she had to strike a match and light a few candles, for there were no windows in the back of the house. Pulling what possessions she had with her out, she tossed them all onto the bed. After a moment's consideration she kicked off her boots and slipped off the fine tunic and pants that she wore, and pulled on studier augmented leather armor over her thin underclothes. Made for her by a friend, the simple armor fit her perfectly, snug, but not too tightly to prohibit ample movement. Following that she pulled on a more lose, and far less expensive black tunic. Brushing her blue hair behind her ears she put on a pair of sturdy leather boots.

Satisfied now with her attire Enly placed several selections of clothes into her pack, a pair of daggers, an assortment of essences and various other belongings went in as well. She then checked to make sure her essence pouch on her belt was full, slipped a dagger into her belt beside it. She then pulled on her pack and grabbed her spear from where it lay against the wall.

Leaving the rest of her belongings stacked on the bed Enly scribbled a quick note to her friend, and made sure to raid the kitchen cupboards before departing (she didn't trust sailors's food).

With her pack slung over her shoulder she left the house, locking the door behind her. Then she set off towards the docks, carrying her spear almost as a walking stick.

She was certain her friend wouldn't be too concerned by Enly's sudden departure, the adventurous draegoni came and went places as she pleased, not often lingering for long. Along with her note Enly had left coin enough to pay for the food she'd taken, plus a bit more. Upon returning to her house Enly's friend would see to it that the belongings she had left behind were sent to her home in Palon Vertas. That set her estates in order, so to speak, and left Enly free to find herself lost on another adventure.

If nothing exciting and stressful occurred in Enly's life, she went seeking it. And as she neared the docks and began scanning the harbor for Rahn, she began to think this new journey could be very exciting indeed.

As soon as Peino arrived at the docks, he spotted one of the loaders, a man he knew, sitting on a barrel and smoking his pipe.

“Hail,” Peino greeted him cordially.

“Hail, Mr. Peino,” said the heavy-set workman, his pipe perched gently on his big hand. “Can I help you with something today?”

“Is the harbor master around?”

“Nay, I think he went to his dinner.”

“Ah.” Peino looked up and down the docks. As usual Crimshin Port was full of comings and goings, ships loading and unloading all day long. “Tell me,” he said to the workman, “do you know which of these ships is connected to a merchant named Rahn? He’s a short fellow, bit round about the middle, brown hair, green cloak. Wears a tricorn hat with a feather in it.”

”Aye, I’ve seen him about here,” said the loader. “’Tis that ship, down at the end. They’re to sail on the next tide.”

“Do you know the captain or anything else about it?”

“I’m sorry I do not. I’ve been working the other end of the piers.”

“Good enough, then. My thanks, and a good day to you.” Peino tossed the man a coin for having interrupted his smoking time.

“Thank you kindly, and a good day to you as well, sir.”

Peino walked down the dock to the ship the loader had pointed out. The area was busy with loaders rolling barrels of provisions up the gangplank and other kinds of work preparatory to setting sail. Peino did not want to draw attention to himself, so he did not get in amongst the workers, but merely noted the name of the ship and her general lines and rigging, and then walked back the other way down the docks to his own ship, the Elandria.

The crew were on shore leave, and when Peino strode up the gangplank, he found only one crewman on watch. The man, who had been dreamily smoking his pipe (it was that time of day), snapped to alertness when Peino appeared.

“Captain!”, the man saluted.

“As you were,” replied Peino, and he went below decks to his cabin.

The captain’s cabin was below the wheelhouse, on the Elandria it was not much bigger or more comfortable than any other compartment of the ship. Besides the narrow bunk bed and trunk of Peino’s belongings, it contained a large table which served as both office desk and dining table, a ship’s lantern suspended from the ceiling, a few extra chairs, and two walls full of racks of charts and maps as well as various instruments of navigation.

Peino blew the tiny flame of the lantern into somewhat better brightness, and quickly stripped off his fine blues and embroidered leathers, down to his gray cotton underclothes. Rummaging through his trunk, he dressed himself in augmented leather pants and strong boots and pulled an augmented leather jacket over his cotton shirt, though he did not bother to lace it closed. Into a heavy leather bag, he packed some plain leathers, a steel chainmail shirt, an iron helm, a fur cloak, several pouches of essences and a case of potions. He tied the bag closed and strapped a steel shield and a double-edged sword to one side of it and a carefully cased elfen bow and a quiver of arrows to the other. He then filled the many small pockets of his jacket with essences, a few potions, and handfuls of torn bits of parchment and some charcoal sticks he kept in a box. Finally, he slipped a dagger into his boot, threw his brown cloak over his shoulders and set a plain brown tricorn hat upon his head. The last thing he did was write a note to Ueka with the name and description of Rahn’s ship. He then hauled the heavy pack up onto the deck.

“Going hunting, sir?”, asked the watch.

“Yes,” said Peino, “and so are you. Ueka will be here shortly. She will be in command under my orders. Give her this note the moment she arrives. It is vital.”

“Aye, sir. Something’s up, I take it?”

“Maybe, and maybe not,” said Peino, “but be sharp and ready, just in case.”

“Aye, sir,” and the man grinned with the eagerness of an adventurer.

Peino hoisted the pack onto his shoulder and carried it down the gangplank and down the pier to wait for Rahn a suitable distance away from his ship. As he walked, he saw ahead of him the Draegoni who had first spoken to Rahn. Peino saw that he was quite old, but robust, with snow-white hair and a white beard trimmed to a neat goatee. The horns that poked through his hair were as blue as sapphires. He was dressed in furs, but seemed to have kitted out for a bit of action, with a sheathed long sword at his belt -- a titanium blade no doubt, judging by its long, slender line.

Peino walked up to the Draegoni and laid down his pack.

“Good afternoon,” he said. “Nice day for a sail if it doesn’t rain.” He extended his hand. “I am Peino of Irsis.”

Rahn slowly rolled up the scroll, putting it back in its case. Leaving a few coins on the table, Rahn departed the tavern discretely and headed for the docks. Coming to the place set in the tavern, he found a crowd of the sailors and soldiers that had signed on.

"Good evening, gentlemen. We are ready to depart. I appoligize for the rush, but once we arrive at the ship I will be able to explain to you more of the details. So, if you will follow me, we will board the Tigress and make sail."

Rahn spun around and set off in front of the group, leading them to his ship...

{OOC: @Peino: Whoops XD. I'm a little used to 'playing Aphistolas. Plus I have some kinks to work out in Akadesh's history. Just ignore him/her for the moment, I might join back later.}

"Hello Peino, I am Brom the Storyteller." Brom said to the elf cheerily bobbing his head in front of his. Brom began, "and..." but was cut off by Rahn who came strolling up to the assembled sailors and workmen on the docks. Rahn promised he would reveal more information as soon as they were on the boat. If this ment out to sea or simply standing on the rocking wood, Brom did not know, but he followed directly after Rahn, heeling him like a hound. His natural place was a counselor, he was not a grunt on the ship, he was the historian, the keeper of knowledge and expertise, And he wanted to be acknowledged for such, Thus the close following of their mysterious leader Rahn.

A dwarf followed up after the rest, a brownish-red haired younger dwarf who looked up wryly at Brom. Brom looked back and a smile peeled across his face.

"So I will have some old friends on this ship. your bunking with me Orick." said Brom, in a nearly commanding voice. Orick looked at the point of mutiny against this demanding Draegoni, then his face changed into a wide smile and said, "You old Draegoni, who signed you up on this voyage, Im surprised you made it onto the ship, where is your walking staff?" Brom frowned and responded, a little too loud, "Someone call the nurse-maid, we have a suckling on the ship." Orick and Brom grimaced at each other, then broke into laughter and walked to embrace. With many "good to see you"s and "Here we go again"s they walked together down into the bowel of the ship together to find bunks.

OOC: I had to write in my cousin, He should join us shortly.

Edited by Brom

Brom the Storyteller responded to Peino’s greeting in a friendly manner, but they had no time for anything more, as at that moment Rahn the Merchant appeared and led them and the other gathered would-be adventurers to his ship, the Tigress. As they boarded, the old Draegoni Brom was accosted by a young, red-haired dwarf -- a friend, apparently -- and they went off to find bunks together.

Peino, with his pack hoisted on his shoulder, went below as well to look for a spot for himself. He chose a bunk in a small compartment near the deck hatch. It might be a bit colder than spaces deeper within the ship, but the air would be fresher. Peino knew from experience how close and dank the windowless belowdecks could get, so having to sleep wrapped up in his fur cloak was no deterrent to him. He stowed his gear beneath the bunk, then returned topside.

All around, the work of boarding the crew and making ready to sail was going on. Peino moved to a spot along the rail. In the distance, he could see signs of similar action on the Elandria. The sea elf turned his attention again to the ship he was on.

Peino had the skills necessary to do just about any job on this ship, except doctor, carpenter or cook. Being a sea elf, native to the ways of the ocean, intimately familiar with both the patterns of the stars and the features of the coasts of both Irilion and Seridia, he would probably make the best navigator and helmsman of anyone on board. If the commander were to ask for one with such skills, he’d raise his hand, but if not, he would keep his peace, he decided, and not advertise his abilities just yet.

Enly finally found Rahn the merchant just as he called his pack of adventurers to his ship. She watched quietly as the storyteller, Brom, stayed close to Rahn, and eventually fell in step with a friend. Peino too was nearby, and he quickly boarded the ship, no doubt off to claim a suitable bunk. Wondering briefly how the sea elf would take to being a crew member rather than captain, she too boarded the ship. The Tigress seemed to be a fair good ship. Enly couldn't boast amazing nautical knowledge, yet she'd been on many voyages and knew what she needed to.

Stowing her belongings on a bunk below deck, Enly wondered exactly what duties she might have onboard. She wasn't skilled enough in seafaring to be a navigator or helmsman, but nearly any basic job she could take up. Even if she didn't know how to do something, she could learn quickly and do it well.

With her spear stowed away along with the other belongings she did not keep on her person her hands were free. So Enly clasped them behind her back and looked about the ship.

Enly was about to go in search of Rahn to find out more about the mysterious voyage, when she spotted Peino leaning against a railing. Deciding that the journey would explain itself in due time, she went to go talk to the sea elf. No doubt the skilled sailor would claim his place quickly among the crew once his talents were revealed, but Enly was curious what the elf was up to. No doubt he'd prefer to be on his own ship commanding his own crew, she was curious what the elf was up to on this little voyage. Perhaps he was in search of treasure, or perhaps his own boat was not in a position to sail. Either way, Enly was eager to find out.

"Good day Lord Peino," Enly smiled at the elf, and leaned on the rail beside him. "Wonderful day for an adventure isn't it?" she said grinning widely.

Edited by Enly

“Milady Enly!” Peino bowed his head and smiled at the Draegoni. “A pleasure to meet you again, and indeed, it is a nice day.”

After finding a suitable bunk room and losing the fight against Brom for the top bunk, Orick submerged on the deck with no particular feelings or cares as to what would be expected of him. Looking left and right, He took in the entirety of the boat's design and decided that the boat would in fact hold them afloat in a good storm, or as far as just looking could tell. Moving to the opposite rail where Enly and Peino were standing, He started to wonder what was taking his old and nearly crippled friend so long.

"Make sail, Captain Grant." Shouted Rahn as the last of the crew boarded the Tigress. Sailors yelled back and forth, casting off the ropes that bound the ship to earth and waving as they sailed out of the harbor.

The Tigress was a beautiful ship, at least in Rahn's eyes. She was a three-masted Barque. A bronze attacking tiger was attached to the bow to ward off the waves. The ship had emerald sails with a white diamond drawn in the center. The hull was painted black. Towards the stern of the ship were two cabins: One for the captain, one for Rahn. Below deck was the cargo hold and the sleeping quarters for the crew.

Rahn appeared on deck, "May I have your attention please?" He waited as the chatter quieted down, "I know you have been wondering exactly where we are going."

"Obviously I could not give you the exact location of the treasure while we were still in port, lest someone else would try to get there first. But now that we are at sea and away from prying ears, I can tell you now." Rahn paused for effect, then continued, "We are going to find the Thief King's Treasure. I know it to be a large one, and it should let us all live comfortably for a few years. However, there is a small problem: The Thief King's Treasure is on a floating island. There is only one man (that I know of) who is still alive and knows where it is, and he won't tell unless he is... convinced. So Captain Grant, will you be so kind as to set course for Moogle's Isle?"

Before he turned back to his cabin, Rahn added, "Oh, and it would seem that our regular ship doctor decided to jump ship before we left port. Obviously we will need a replacement. As you all know, that position receives a second share of the treasure. If any of you are interested in applying, I will be in my cabin."

Edited by Dunian

Before Enly could talk more to Peino, Rahn spoke up again. The man certainly didn't seem to leave much room for idle chatter. Enly listened patiently to his words. The thief king's treasure. Enly had never heard of such a thing, she doubted many others had either. Moogle's isle, Enly thought to herself. Thats a fair journey east, I should have brought more food. With a sigh she realized she would most likely have to suffer through eating whatever the ship had, and there wasn't even a decent doctor aboard.

Scratching a green scale behind her left ear Enly watched Rahn retreat to his cabin. With a smile at Peino, she followed after Rahn entering his cabin right behind him. She intended to offer her assistance as a ship's doctor. With little real training the art, Enly would let another more experienced person have the position if one appeared, but she could heal just about anything with magic. And from the looks of the warriors and treasure seekers aboard the ship, she doubted there were many healers among them.

"Rahn," Enly addressed him with a slight bow as the man noticed startled that she'd followed him so closely into his cabin. "I'd like to offer my skills as a healer, I posses very little direct training of the art unfortunately. However I know my spells well and could heal nearly any wound with magic, even if the afflicted be near death. If a more skilled soul presents his or her self, I'd be glad to merely assist under their supervision, but if not, I could take the position of doctor myself."

Before Peino could properly renew his acquaintance with the Draegoni Enly, Rahn the Merchant had made another of his not very helpful (nor promising) pronouncements and retired to the rear deck cabins. Enly had hurried after, and from the smile she had given him, Peino guessed she was going to snatch up the job of ship's doctor with its larger share of the proposed prize. Peino wished her well with that. For himself, he preferred to see what the prize actually was before deciding how big a share he wanted to take.

As to that prize... The Thief King's Treasure? He'd never heard of such a thing, and he would have thought he would have heard of it, hanging around sailors' taverns as he did, where at least half the talk was always about treasure. Hm... Hopefully more would be told of it soon.

All around him, the crew hurried and shouted about their tasks. He did not know this Captain Grant, and that was just as well. It boded well that the setting off seemed to be going smoothly and easily, and also that the Tigress was clearly well maintained, if a bit fancy for his taste. He was glad of the flamboyant green sails that billowed overhead. They would make the ship easy to track.

Peino gazed back across the harbor to see the Elandria also pulling away from the docks of Crimshin Port. Elandria was built for speed, not show, and her lean lines made her look somewhat smaller than she really was -- a medium-light two-masted sloop, shallow in the draft, and full rigged, made for chasing the wind. Plain white were her sails, her hull was decorated with simple lines of blue and white, and the white-winged falcon of House Ereon was her figurehead. Peino was glad to see that Ueka had not raised the Ereon banner above the topsail. In the distance, he saw the flash of a telescope being raised. Ueka was watching.

The sea elf turned his back to her. There were too many people around him now. He’d think of a way to inform Ueka of their heading later.

As he turned his attention back to the Tigress, he noticed the red-haired dwarf, Brom’s friend, standing nearby.

Brom sat for a moment on the small bunk bed that would be his accomodation for a while, taking in the room. That got boring very quickly so he headed back up on deck and heard four words. "The Thief King's Treasure" From then on he was in his own thoughts, not listening to Rahn explain it further. Brom knew about it, though he had filed it under the "Myths" category in his head, and had not taken it for an honest story. All of the references to it in the books he had read pointed to it being true, though gave no clue as to how to find the treasure.

Listening again Brom heard they needed someone who could find, someone on Moogles Isle. Gnomes, Brom thought to himself, My great little friends. Dispite the fact Brom was a Draegoni, he had forged a good alliance with the gnomes while on his inital stay amoung them when people from Serdia first started comming to Irillon. He had maintained this good friendship with many amoung the dwarves, but he knew no-one who lived on Moogles Isle.

Brom followed the Draegoni into the large cabin when Rahn stayed, and listened intently as she half-offered herself over to be the ships doctor. I stepped up behind her and offered my services as well, though not as lead. only as more of an assistant by saying, "I am no doctor, though if my services can be of use to this ship or her crew," Brom looked at the Tall Draegoni woman next to him, paused, then looked back at Rahn and continued, "They are willfulled offered." He paused, then noticed the two in the cabin wanted more information so Brom included, "Though I have heard tell that She has more ability than I do, I shall be her second if permitted." Brom waited for a response. He had not actually heard much about the Woman, he had heard her name was Enly, but wanted to make sure before speaking it, not wanting to be shone the fool.