Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enly

Portland Tavern

{More out of character chitty-chatty: You're right, and I honestly think this has gone a bit awry from the intended idea... Personally, I agree with you, but I will too continue it if Peino/Melinsade/Sistema wish to. Right now however, I have a rough idea of a new historical account in mind....}

{OOC} Heh, whatever, kidlings. The way I set up Peino, he can stay in Portland indefinitely, living at the tavern/inn while he works for the money to fix his ship. When Peino and Sywren dumped their stones, I thought that would have ended that story line, since there's no way the stones can be brought together anymore. So the only thing left would be if Sistema or Aphis wanted to step up as the mysterious person who brought us all to PL in the first place. If not, then there's nothing more to do with the stones story, and we're back to an open-ended "Days and Nights at the Magic Apple" thing.

As for Iscalrith, tbh, I don't think it's a good idea to go there in an RP called Portland Tavern. Sorry, Enly. If you want out, you can go find another way to Irilion and exit the story that way. And maybe come back later, if you can RP a way to move your story back to PL later on. Anyway, that would be my advice. :)

Aphis, I'm not sure what to do about the Protector/Bearer thing, since two of the people 'bearing' stones dumped them already. :P

But whatever, Peino is stuck in Portland for the foreseeable future. If anyone else ever posts here, I'll be around to play along. :) Especially if Dunian's RP doesn't take off. ;) {OOC}

{OOC} Heh, whatever, kidlings. The way I set up Peino, he can stay in Portland indefinitely, living at the tavern/inn while he works for the money to fix his ship. When Peino and Sywren dumped their stones, I thought that would have ended that story line, since there's no way the stones can be brought together anymore. So the only thing left would be if Sistema or Aphis wanted to step up as the mysterious person who brought us all to PL in the first place. If not, then there's nothing more to do with the stones story, and we're back to an open-ended "Days and Nights at the Magic Apple" thing.

As for Iscalrith, tbh, I don't think it's a good idea to go there in an RP called Portland Tavern. Sorry, Enly. If you want out, you can go find another way to Irilion and exit the story that way. And maybe come back later, if you can RP a way to move your story back to PL later on. Anyway, that would be my advice. :)

Aphis, I'm not sure what to do about the Protector/Bearer thing, since two of the people 'bearing' stones dumped them already. :P

But whatever, Peino is stuck in Portland for the foreseeable future. If anyone else ever posts here, I'll be around to play along. :) Especially if Dunian's RP doesn't take off. :lurker: {OOC}

{OOC: Careful or I'll have to pull JSoC on you :( I'll stick around, but it's a little hard to think of new lines... Also I have no idea where anyone is, oh well :) )

Aphistolas watched the young Draegoni dissipate into the teaming crowds. She seemed completely unconcerned, he decided it would be most prompt to simply live and let live. Turning, he made his way through the crowd to the Magic Apple Inn for a drink. He hadn't had a good wine in many seasons, and it would be a good chance to get a feel of the city.

{OOC} Hmm, ok ok... I shan't give up :) {/OOC}

Enly watched the elf for a moment, half of her wanted to let him know what had happened to her brother. Yet why would a stranger care? Her brother's letter had carried sad news indeed. But somehow, despite her hesitation, she decided to at least tell the elf some.

"I just received a letter from my brother whom lives in Iscalrith. His wife and children were on a days outing in the woods, when, according to the city guards that reported the incident to him, they were attacked and killed by a wandering yeti." Enly paused for half a second, it hurt to say the words. "Yet his wife was no weakling, she could have fought a yeti, and the day after the tragic accident, my brother received a note telling him to stop investigating old matters. You see, my brother has been suspicious of some events in Iscalrith for awhile now, he stumbled across them when seeking out information on the stones for me. It seems to be completely disassociated, but he's worried what some people would do if they got their hands on the stones. He finished his investigation on the stones and sent me all he found. Yet now he's turning to these new issues. He says he has nothing to lose but me, and I can take care of myself according to him. He'll end up killed though, I must return home and make sure he doesn't continue angering the wrong people and end up dead."

Enly said it all rather quickly, frustrated with herself for sharing her problems with a stranger. As well as letting herself be caught up with these stones and a few quick coin, when she should have been in Iscalrith helping her brother.

After telling her story she clamped her mouth shut and kept walking along with the elf, waiting to see what he would say. She had a fair amount of gold coins with her now, but not nearly enough to fix his ship. It seemed like she would be stuck in Portland for quite sometime. Maybe all she could do was hope her brother took care of himself.

Edited by Enly

"I swear, the thing was this big!" One of the men at the bar exclaimed, using a gesture with both his hands that indicated a large creature. "With a razor-sharp sword, and full armour, stained with the blood of the fallen!" He wore a common tunic, which was covered in several dark splotches, Aphistolas guessed they were ale stains. The bartender; a tall, elegant red-haired woman who's face appeared sullen with the duties of running an inn. She had her arms crossed, and looked somewhat peeved at the rather vociferous drinker. His two buddies sitting to either side of him, dressed in similar attire, sans the stains, looked eager and intent to hear the rest of their friend's tale.

"Don't fill my tavern with such nonsense!" The bartender replied, in a harsh voice. Her face turned to a scowl, but the man continued. "This thing charged Syeere and I, but he got lucky with his crossbow and took out one of the beast's eyes. It roared in defiance, but toppled to one side and attempted to rip the arrow out." His words grew more dramatic with every syllable, as he momentarily stopped to drink from his ale, the bartender moved away to go clean the vacant tables and chairs in preparation for the night's business.

"As I was saying," He said, putting the tankard of liquid down with a little too much force, some of it sloshed over the rim and spilled onto the bar. He didn't seem to notice, "Syeere got it, and we rushed past the thing in an attempt to find the treasure. After a few moments of searching the catacombs, we got lost. Bones of fallen warriors, and old remnants of armour and weapons scattered at our feet, the occasional book and piece of gold, too, but we found nothing of much value. After awhile, Syeere and I lost track of time, the darkened passageways began to get to us. And then..." He paused for dramatic effect, pretending he didn't notice the eager attitude of his friends by taking a long drink of ale. "The beast Syeere got earlier let out a thunderous roar from somewhere down the corridors. It was enough to shake the very life from bones, and we rapidly made our way back and out into the fresh air. Fortunately, we didn't see anything on the way back, but Syeere swears he heard a very quiet tapping coming from behind us, and the low-sound of footsteps on grass as we made our way to the Marsh... The fool was paranoid."

The bartender finished up her duty of thoroughly scrubbing the wooden tables and chairs, and making sure the floor was clean, she strode over to Aphistolas, who was still unnoticed by the three men at the bar. "Greetings traveller! Welcome to the Magic Apple Inn. I'm expecting a lot of business tonight, with the market gathering and all, but I think we have a spare room or two. Alternatively, you can take up a stool and have a relaxing drink. Though I can't say much about the company," She cast daggers at the three men, but quickly returned to smiling heartedly, "Undoubtedly you've heard the conversation of the afternoon, I've always said those catacombs should be left alone. To everyone who comes in here and starts wondering about them, I make a point to tell them to stay away. They're one of the last dwellings for Mortos and his sinful kin, and even if there were no ghastly creatures lurking the halls down there, the catacombs were dug like a maze. It's sheerly down to luck if an adventurer makes it out alive, if you ask me. Seems every arrogant man, women, or even child," she said, emphasising the word by going up an octave for a second, "who fancies them self a good sword-arm, or powerful mage think it's actually worth the peril to explore that cursed place. Can't say I'd refuse that gold though..." She trailed off for a moment. "I mean, if there is gold down there." She hastily made her way toward the ladder at the end of the room, removing a large set of recently-manufactured iron keys. Without as much as a backward glance, she ascended the ladder and disappeared into the mid-sized hole above. Aphistolas took a seat to the right of the adventurer's friend.

"It takes a brave man to explore Naralik." He said. The three men turned to gaze at him, nervously they scanned him. An awkward moment of silence ensued, before the apparent orator spoke, after finishing off his ale and slamming the tankard down onto the bar, "Indeed friend, indeed. Might I ask of your travels in the Lands?"

{OOC: What's the name of the barmaid in the Magic Apple' again?}

Edited by Aphistolas

Peino walked along the Portland docks, with the Draegoni, Enly, walking beside him. The flurry of words she had uttered still swirled in his head like the pennants and birds in the wind above them.

This was just the kind of thing that could ruin his day if he let it. A damsel. And in distress, yet. Ah, Peino, he thought, when are you going to learn stay away from women in taverns?

Half of every fiber in his being was telling him he had to help her. It was his duty as a Lord of Irsis and the Scion of Ereon to help those in trouble. He would feel ashamed of himself if he did nothing. Chivalry was a moral imperative.

But the other half of every fiber in his being pointed out that he had maybe 60 coins left in his pocket -- not even enough to pay her passage on the Whitestone to Idaloran ship. Just what did he propose to do for the lady? It also reminded him that he was not an entirely free person.

He stopped and Enly stopped with him. He gazed silently out at the Elandria anchored in the harbor. There lay his first obligation. The Scion of Ereon did not go adventuring for his own pleasure but for the benefit of his family and all those who depended on them. The storm that had crippled his ship had interrupted a voyage to distant Tyrnim on an affair of great import to the House of Ereon -- a quest, if you will, laid upon him by the High Lord and Lady of Ereon, his parents. As the quest was his and his alone, it was up to him and him alone to do what he had to do to complete it.

Enly’s story had moved him, but he had no choice in the matter, though the decision felt like a stone his heart. When choosing a course of action, his mother, Lady Olimea, had always advised him, do first what you must, then do what you can, but do not do what you can’t.

And anyway, he thought, how much of a “damsel in distress” could any Draegoni really be?

With a heavy sigh, he addressed the lady.

“Enly, you have a serious problem. I wish I could do anything to resolve it for you, but at the moment, I am not even worth the fare on the Whitestone passenger ship. The best I can offer is this: I happen to know there is a ship bound for Irsis sailing from this port tomorrow morning. I intend to ask the captain to carry a letter from me to my family there, telling them of my circumstances. If you can get to Irsis, you may be able to sail from there to Iscalrith via Irinveron, but I don't know if the captain can take on any passengers. If not, then I will be happy to include a letter to your brother with my letter, with instructions for my kinfolk to send it on to Iscalrith. It’s not much of a suggestion, I know, but I can think of nothing better under the circumstances.”

Edited by peino

Peino's reply had not been what Enly was hoping for, yet she wondered if it were for the better nonetheless. Perhaps she needed to leave her brother to his own plans, and let him worry about himself. She hated the thought of doing nothing while she could be helping someone, yet as fate would have it there was no way for her to easily reach Iscalrith for now.

She thought briefly of the stone in her pocket, she'd let that cursed thing that had distracted her for so long already sink to the bottom of the sea. Then she could write a letter to her brother, and hope this elf could find a way to have it sent to him. She didn't like the idea of sitting around, but it seemed there was no other option without coins she did not have, and ships that were not sailing anywhere.

"I suppose that the gods are against me, I'll not sail to Iscalrith. But I would be forever thankful if you could deliver a letter to my brother. I'll try to write it and make sure its in your possession to send as soon as possible. Thank you," Enly dipped her head in a slight bow. The elf smiled and Enly walked away to slip back into the cities crowds.

Edited by Enly

For several hours, Aphistolas conversed with the man. Who soon revealed himself as Thomas LaFey, sworn adventurer. The two went into great details about their experiences, but Aphistolas listened intently when he began to talk about his childhood. His upbringing had been less than stellar, a wealthy father on the Portland Council had raised him in the city, but his mother was a rogue Drow Elf, who travelled the lands and eradicated evil with her party. Aphistolas noted Thomas' adventurous side was clearly inherited from his mother, as Marvyn LaFey apparently objected profusely to his son studying the art of Magic, and learning how to wield a sword.

Truth be told, Thomas couldn't have been a powerful mage, no magic-vibes resonated from him. Aphistolas guessed he knew the less-complex sigils, but brute-magic (or anything that required focus) wasn't his level. He was apparently extremely well versed in swordplay, though, having (and eventually succeeding) several Masters in the Portland Militia and Army. He told great tales of travelling to Irilion, besting terrible beasts from their accursed lairs, defeating black mages and even saving the Empress herself from an assassin. His stories were amusing, and very interesting, but he doubted the validity of his claims.

The two exchanged histories, and cheerfully discussed politics and current on-goings. Apparently Thomas had just returned from Irsis, after a seven-day trip to secure new clients for the Portland Traders Commission. His news of Portland was somewhat outdated, but he did possess a scattering of information from lands on both Seridia and Irilion, mainly Irilion though. Aphistolas thoroughly enjoyed his company, and before he knew it, dusk was fast approaching. Merchants began to pour into the Magic Apple, quickly filling up the remaining stools at the bar, and numerous tables and chairs. The quiet, somewhat awkward atmosphere that inns are never supposed to have turned into a merry collation of drinking sounds. Much to Laura's dismay, pipe smoke began to fill the room. She frequently asked customers to cease smoking.

Edited by Aphistolas

{OOC} Yo, Aphis. :rolleyes: {/OOC}

Peino watched Enly walk away into the crowds, her brilliant blue hair shining in the sun, a head above most of the people around her. She’d sounded dissappointed and that made the sea elf feel a little guilty in a way, but realistically, what more could he do?

He went on to the boatman’s pier, where he dropped some more of his dwindling money to hire a rowboat to carry him to the Elandria. Accustomed as he was to riding the seas, he barely felt the bobbing of the little boat over the choppy swells as the oarswoman rowed strongly across the harbor. When they got to the Elandria, Peino caught her towline and tied up the boat, then quickly scaled the side ladder up to the deck, leaving the oarswoman to wait.

Once more he surveyed the damage the storm had done -- the broken timbers and shattered stump of the mainmast, the shreds of cut and tangled rope left lying on the deck -- but rather than feel upset, he smiled with a victorious kind of satisfaction. Indeed, that night, the sea had gripped the Elandria in its jaws like a chimeran wolf biting down on a rabbit, but she had managed to slip free and rode out the terrible winds and waves in spite of their fury. Another ship -- and, if he did say so himself, another captain -- might have been making a home and a meal for fish by now, but once again, the Elandria had reached port with all her crew aboard and herself still sound and afloat, and that was nothing to be sad about.

“Good girl,” Peino whispered as he patted the ship’s rail like the flank of a beloved pet. Then he went below to his cabin to pack up his things -- charts, logs, valuable navigation tools, as well as personal items he’d rather keep close by and locked up.

A little while later, he lowered several bags of belongings down to the waiting oarswoman, and he himself climbed down the ladder again. The boat carried him quickly back to the docks, and from there, it was the work of less than an hour to haul his goods back to the Magic Apple and up to his room for safekeeping.

Now to repay his ship for her brave service. Peino returned to the tavern room, where the noise was rising with laborers and merchants stopping in after their day’s work to eat and drink and talk gossip and business. With his current limited circumstances, Peino had a good idea what he would end up doing for the money he needed. He was hoping now to pick up some details of the market before getting into the work. To his mind, it was always good to have one’s buyer lined up in advance, if possible.

Edited by peino

The Magic Apple grew evermore crowded, as people lined the small room, wall-to-wall and shoulder-to-shoulder. Nonetheless, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, they frequently made their way to the bar and got more ale for their companions. Which made Laura quite happy, too. Aphistolas noted she was receiving a rather large amount of gold in her trade. Thomas noticed the crowd too, he kept checking to make sure his valuables were in place.

Then the door swung open, and a medium-height elf strode in. Apparently a Drow, if his dark hair, darker skin, and slender physique were any indicators.

"Who's that?" Aphistolas questioned Thomas. The elf began to scan the room.

"That's his-mighty Peino. Scion to some old house in Irsis. If you're looking for work, or adventure, you should go talk to him. But bewarned, sea-elf people are a deceitful bunch."

Aphistolas raised from the bar. Portland was safe, perhaps it was time he sought work elsewhere.

Enly wandered slowly back into the crowds. With little direction, she paced the marketplace. Her thoughts in a jumble. Eventually Enly made her way back to the tavern, where she wrote out a letter to her brother. She also left a short letter for Peino, thanking him for his trouble, and leaving him a fair bit of coin for his efforts. She then left the letter and note to Peino with the barmaid, asking that she deliver them to the sea elf when he returned to the tavern that night.

Nervously, Enly made her way past the mage she'd run across earlier that day, but he didn't seem to pay her much attention. Confused and weary Enly threw open the tavern door and left. Heading north out of the city she pulled of a branch from a dead tree. Breaking off its twigs she twirled it in her hand. Not as graceful as her spear, but it would do.

Grasping her newly made staff in her hand she walked north away from the city. If the gods smiled upon her the letter for her brother would reach him quickly, via the help of the generous sea elf.

Breathing deeply Enly tried to accept her stress, and let it float away. Slowly, it would dissipate. She felt as if she'd lost herself in the past few days, worry, stress, and so many other emotions had clouded her mind and she barely felt as if she were Enly any longer. Knowing it was time to get away from the world, Enly wandered away from the city. She hoped to find some place to rest, and find peace again. The stone weighed heavily in her pocket still, yet she would keep it as a mere trifle never planning to use it.

Already without the crowds of people around her Enly could feel her own anxiety flee, her brother would be ok, he always was. Now Enly just had to focus on finding herself again amidst the tangled webs of emotion. With Portland now far behind her, Enly wandered away into Draia.

The tavern was already crowded and noisy. Peino scanned the room, looking for any familiar faces. At the bar, stood the keeper of the general store, Lenard. Peino went up to him, put his hand on his shoulder, and greeted him by name.

“Hail, Peino!”, said the storekeeper. “I didn’t know you were in Portland again.”

“Aye, and I shall be for some time, I think,” replied Peino. “My ship needs repairs.”

“Well, you know where to come for rope, canvas, and nails,” said Lenard with a wink. “Will you drink with me?”

“Of course.”

The men waved to Laura who brought another tankard of ale for the human and poured a mug of mead for the elf, with which they toasted each other’s health.

“So tell me,” said Peino, “what are the hot markets in Portland these days?”

“What are you looking to sell?”, asked the storekeeper.

“Depends on what people are buying, or what work they need done. I need to raise funds fast.”

“Well...” The human took another long draft of his ale as he thought. “Assuming farm labor would pay too little for you, hunters can always earn gold around here. Demand is high for meat, and higher for bones. Other than that, the local market is pretty haphazard. Do you hunt?”

Peino smiled. “Yes, I hunt. Bones, eh?”

“Yes. You should talk to some of the guild merchants in the square. You might be able to negotiate a good price.”

“My thanks. Another toast.” Peino raised his mug, and his companion raised his tankard. “To the defeat of Mortos!” said Peino.

“Amen!”, said Lenard.

{OOC} EDIT @ Aphistolas: Yo! Read the earlier posts, buddy! Peino has white hair, not dark hair! :D {/OOC}

Edited by peino

"Hunting, eh?" Aphistolas interjected slightly, attempting to conceal his eavesdropping with a hearty smile, "I need work, and I know a thing-or-two about how to handle a sword, but I get to keep what I rightfully earn, interested?" He awaited the reply of the white-haired sea-elf...

Peino and Lenard both turned to look at the one who had interrupted them. Peino eyed the man up and down, taking note of the mage’s robes and the sword on his belt.

“Am I interested in you going hunting and keeping what you kill?” he asked by way of response. “No, not particularly. Why do you ask?” Peino grinned at the man and snuck a wink at Lenard, who chuckled and went back to his ale.

The man seemed a little surprised at the flippant remark, so Peino added, “See here, friend, I’m not looking for an assistant or employee or whatever you had in mind, and it seems to me that if you’re good enough with your sword to earn something worth keeping, then you don’t need my help, either. But these are free lands for free people, so you may go where you like and do as you please. If we happen to meet in field or forest, I shall be sure to bid you a good day, and not lay claim to your kills if you'll return the courtesy.”

Just then, Laura, the bartender, sought Peino’s attention and handed him a folded paper, saying, “I almost forgot -- from that Draegoni woman.”

Peino opened it and several gold coins fell into his lap. It was Enly’s letter to her brother, and with it a polite and formal thank-you note to Peino. Ah, it seemed she had gone from Portland. Too bad. He had been starting to like that girl. With a little smile, he caught himself thinking of her as a girl again, instead of a woman, but he couldn’t help it. She seemed to care so much about things, to be so shy, and so concerned with proper manners, even in an outhouse alley -- and with such a temper under the surface -- Peino’s smile broadened as he thought about it. It all made her seem so innocent, and younger than she probably was.

He gathered up the coins -- now that really was unnecessary. From anyone else, he might have felt offended by the payment of money, but from her, it just seemed sweet. Oh, well, she was gone now. If there was anyone he might have liked to go hunting with, it would have been her, but apparently that was not to be.

Now this armed mage -- Peino was not so sure about him. The Elf tucked Enly’s letters and money into his jacket and wondered if he’d seen this man somewhere before. In fact, he thought he might have been the man he had seen talking to Enly in the square several hours earlier. Hm...

But Peino said nothing about that. He always preferred to hold his tongue and let uncertain situations reveal themselves on their own.

So instead, he just turned to the barkeeper and said, “Laura, my darling, how is the stew this evening?”

Edited by peino

An elven woman dressed in white who had a lethal dagger in her hand was standing on the bar, blood dripping from the blade. A dead body laid close by her. Some dwarves were watching, laughing their beards off in the other corner, one was pointing at a lady opposite them. His eyes went to the lady, then to her pocket which was being guarded with her hands, it must be her, he thought. His eyes then went to the tall orchan that had his arms wrapped around the lady; one arm around her neck, the other trying to reach into her pocket. He must have seen it.

He turned his head around, the white clothed elven woman had been listening to them. She also had her hand securing something in her pocket.

The dead women returned that day after being lost in the underground,finding her deathbag was gone.

lol

Edited by Coolkid_08