Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enly

Portland Tavern

{OOC} Hmm, see now we have a problem. Sygon and Peino are trying to steer away from a quest sort of epic setting, and Aphis is pushing for it... and I don't care... we need to work out that problem :icon13: Anyway... for now I suppose I better wake up Enly {/OOC}

Enly blinked several times as she raised her head. She'd had far to much to drink. Glancing out the window she saw the faint light spreading over the horizon, it was nearly dawn. Blinking more sleep from her eyes she sat up straight, then stood. The elf Peino appeared to have left. She glanced around the tavern, it was nearly empty now.

Enly reached into her pocket and wrapped her hand around the stone, it was still there, as always, as it had been for so long. She considered finding the bartender and asking her where Peino had gone, but as she considered this the door opened and Peino walked in. His clothes looked slightly dampened, like he'd been out in the fog near the shore.

Narrowing her eyes suspiciously she walked up to him. He was shorter than her, as was nearly everyone not a draegoni.

"Where is the stone?" She demanded, looking down on him. He had the look about him of one who had just abandoned his troubles...

Edited by Enly

{OOC: Not really pushing for any main-storyline, I just wanted to introduce my character, I figured that was a better way than saying 'Aphistolas just happened to be in the same tavern, in Portland, at the same time, but didn't say a word during the whole night' lol ;) Concidentally, The Magic Apple Inn is one of my favourite spots, I haven't visited it in awhile -- if only it held some economic importance...}

"Who goes there?!" The guard demanded, readying his sword. He was a tall man, clearly of Orchan inheritance, but somewhat tamed. His strong features had been dulled by years of cross-breeding, and sharp canine-like teeth were the only visible sign of his heritage. He had short red hair, encrusted with grime and sea-salt, his blue eyes looked sunken, and were encircled by dark-blue patches. His armour, standard-issue steel chain chain mail and augmented leather leggings, were stained and encrusted with grime. His muscles, clearly evident through the revealing armour, looked tired and overused. He had the appearance of a man who had been working to hard, or hadn't slept in days.

"Aphistolas of MAGE, good sir." Aphistolas responded, bowing slightly to the obviously overworked guardsman.

"Oh," he said, unsure, "I didn't realize you were an established denizen, Aphistolas." He shook his head, turned, and signalled the guards overhead to lift the grate. They did so, after a moment of suspicion, and allowed Aphistolas to enter Portland City.

"Good day to you, Private Johanasberg." He said in a cheerful tone. The guard hadn't even realized he had submitted his name...

[OOC] Enly, I think Aphis can take the stones story anywhere he likes, regardless of whether any of the rest of us want to get involved. That Ishtarae thing seems amusing. Peino could have a bit of fun with that (in all the wrong ways ;)). Anyway, to conclude the getting Peino to bed process... [/OOC]

Peino entered the Magic Tavern singing softly an old sailors' tune -- "What do you do with a drunken sailor/what do you with a drunken sailor/what do you do with a drunken sailor/early in the morning..." -- and was immediately confronted by the Draegoni Enly. She towered over him, looking a bit fuzzy from wine and sleep.

"Where is the stone?" she demanded.

Peino tipped his hat politely. "Good morning," he said, "and good night." He stepped round her to the bar to wake the tavernkeeper Laura by gently nudging her shoulder.

"Peino!", cried Enly, "The stone -- you have it, don't you?"

"No," said Peino. As Laura awakened, he murmured a question about whether there were any bedrooms available, and the tavernkeeper, yawning and stretching, muttered that she would check. Rubbing her eyes, she shuffled towards the ladder that led to the upper floor of the tavern.

Enly stared at him in disbelief. "No?! What did you do with it? Did you give it to that Elf woman?"

"No. I haven't seen her since we were all in the alley." Peino turned to look at Enly. "I threw it into the sea."

For a moment, Peino wondered if Enly was going to faint or attack him as she stared with her eyes wide and blazing, her scales glittering with color.

Finally, she shouted, "You did what!? But--why would you-- It's magic! How can you just throw a magic stone into the sea like it's nothing?"

Peino approached the tall young Draegoni and, like an older brother, reached up to chuck her under the chin -- a maneuver that clearly irritated her.

"Dear sweet thing," he said with deliberate condescension, just because he was in a reckless, chin-chucking mood, "you said it yourself. If the stones were brought together, there was an even chance they would bring miracles or destruction, and if it was to be destruction, you thought that should be stopped. Well, now it is stopped. One of the stones is no longer in a position to be joined with its brothers. Danger averted."

Laura called down from the upper floor, "Lord Peino, I have a room for you."

"Coming," he called back to her.

Enly grasped his arm. "Where did you throw the stone?"

Peino raised an eyebrow at her and calmly eased his arm from her grip. "I couldn't say exactly. Fog, don't you know, obscures the landmarks. If you plan to go fishing for it, good luck. I'm going to see if I can get some sleep before this place gets noisy again."

He executed another of his courtly bows. "Until we meet again, Lady Enly." And then he climbed up the ladder.

[edited to add a detail about Sywren.]

Edited by peino

{OOC} Spot on, on my character's reaction Peino... I have nothing to yell at you about ;) {/OOC}

Enly watched Peino leave, she was seething with anger. How could he have just thrown it away like that? She thought at least an elf, who's life span could nearly rival that of a draegoni, would be able to see beyond the immediate, and potential danger, to the great benefits. Enly wrapped her hand tightly around the stone in her pocket. Cowardly, stupid, pompous... A thousand curses ran through her head, she was furious. Letting others go about their business and keep their own stones was one thing, but to throw it away? To cast away a valuable artifact with so little knowledge of it? Who was he to decide whether it could be a blessing or a curse?

Glancing out at the rising sun Enly wondered if she should go look for the stone. With a sigh she decided against it, it was lost to the sea, until some god decided to pull it up from the depths again for their own means. No doubt that other elf was long gone with her own stone, perhaps with the same intentions of abandoning it as Peino.

Throwing a last angry look towards the ladder Enly stalked out of the tavern, glancing around briefly she debated where to go. Drawn away from the rowdy city she left out the west gate and found herself soon on the coast. Peering out over the water she wondered if this was where Peino had abandoned his stone.

The elf's attitude infuriated her, careless, reckless. He assumed her a child, weak and stupid. How could an elf lord assume so much, what life had he lived in ease comforted by his riches and power? Enly admitted to herself she knew little of him, yet his near arrogant clothes, and his supirior attitude... they made her want to throw away her last few precious essences to prove to him she was neither weak nor young. Yet her temper never helped any situation.

After several minutes staring at the waves wishing death upon Peino for his stupid actions, she reached into her robe and retrieved the letter her brother had sent her. It was time to find out what he had to say.

Edited by Enly

Aphistolas stalked into the city. It was a swarming metropolises, practically as big as White Stone City, with around twice amount of business. Jerry-rigged stalls were set up all round, banners of all colours and local pride been hastily strewn up, the awnings held back the powerful sun rays. Everywhere, merchants browsed, and gandered, occasionally gasping at the wares. Commoners struggled to remove more gold from their pockets, as new trinkets met their gaze, and even the nobles of the Portland City Council were in attendance; laughing and rejoicing at the splendor hustle-and-bustle that crowded every inch of the city that day.

Corpses would litter the streets, if the Stones were used. In the legends, the Stones were relics of another past, of the great Ishtarae race who once -- apparently -- were found across Draia. Very few people knew their true nature. Aphistolas himself would've been blind in his duties had his parents not informed him. The Stones didn't just grant a user power, they assumed some control. Subtle, at first. But eventually growing, until there was only a shell of the former Bearer, who urged to use the Stones at every opportunity. Afterword, a feral creature would emerge, living off pure emotion, pursing nothing but hedonism. People would, and in the past did, kill their closest friends and family for the Stones.

He pushed his way through the crowd, walking nervously through uncomfortably tight spaces and suspicious looking characters. He kept a firm hand on Amorachiccus and the bag of essences attached to his belt. One could never be too sure of one's company, especially in merchant gatherings. He thought, as he reached the edge of the crowd. The air began to grow colder, and the hairs on the back of his neck stood on end. He turned to the direction of energy, to the location of one of the Stones.

There was a single figure standing on the very-end of the longest pier out to sea. Mentally gathering the sigils for a shielding spell, and focusing his will to summon the required power, he began walking toward the figure; who was obviously clutching something of great importance in her hand.

The salty sea wind whipped around Enly's face as she stood staring out across the ocean. As she had read the letter from her brother her petty fury at Peino had vanished. Now she stood with tears slipping down her cheeks, the letter crumpled in her hand. She wished she'd read it sooner.

Biting her lip she tried to blink the tears from her eyes, but they wouldn't go away. A few strands of her sapphire hair stuck to her wet cheeks and she brushed them away. She turned around, intending to leave the city and sail immediately to her home in Iscalrith in order to speak with her brother in person. Yet as she turned from the sea she saw a figure walking towards her. A robed threatening figure, he must be a Protector she thought to herself. Her brother had discovered much since the last time he'd written, and all had been made clear in his letter, which was also laced with immeasurable grief.

Considering her options she decided there was only one option for her remaining essences, glancing quickly at the figure to make sure he was a safe distance still, Enly whispered a spell. She held the scroll of her brother's letter in the air, and it was suddenly consumed in a violet flame, then gone. Her last essences vanished from her pouch, their energy pulled into the spell.

The scroll was gone, its contents already committed to her memory, and its grief and secrets now lost to all but her and her brother. She turned then to face the figure approaching her. Whispering a prayer to Iringold, father of the draegoni, she checked to make sure her knife was still in her belt. Hopefully this Protector would not act rashly, and she would not need it. Enly was willing to work things out in more peaceful ways, if this Protector would be sensible.

{OOC} Wow! Guess if I'm going to keep up, I might have to quit my job. (Not the first time I've made this observation since starting EL :w00t: The good news is that after next week I get my Sundays back!) At any rate, I realized today that I still have Melisande's necklace in my pocket. :) Guess I'll have to find a way back in. It looks like you all are still a few hours behind me so I have some time. {/OOC}

Edited by sygon

{OOC} OK, Enly, "pompous" and "arrogant" are accurate enough, but "cowardly" and "stupid"? And do you think you repeated "stupid" often enough? :):w00t: Wow, I guess you really don't like it when some rich guy chucks you under the chin like a little kid. :) I'm going to have to be on the lookout for a chance to reveal some of what lies beneath Peino's upper class surface. {/OOC}

Edited by peino

{OOC} Lol, its what Enly's reaction to your attitude would be, as well as it being exaggerated due to her anger :w00t: Crabby temper filled pompous draegoni that she is :)

-edit-

hypocritical... that too :)

She's just proud, and never liked to be treated as a child, her reactions towards you are based on what you've displayed, and as I said are exaggerated due to her anger.

{/OOC}

Edited by Enly

{OOC} LOL, I got that, but I also realize that Peino gives a problematical first impression. ;) I actually like that you focused on his snotty attitude and rich boy presentation. Now I have to figure out some way to show more of him. He and I will sleep on it. :){/OOC}

Aphistolas stopped, a pace from the Draegoni female. A subtle magic field encircled her aura, making the hairs on Aphistolas's neck stand as the waves passed over the mortal world. The spell was practically impalpable among the energy produced by the sea. It wasn't powerful enough to be harmful, but could be an insidious nonetheless. Aphistolas moved a hand to Amorachiccus , tapping his fingers on the curved hilt. The energies within stirred slightly as his emotions began to descend into the sword.

There was a Stone on her person. The robes she wore were veiled, but the Stones were practically un-concealable by mortal hands. It hadn't been activated, but the power within was undulating clearly.

"You may be in danger, Lady Draegoni." Aphistolas called, remaining still.

Peino awoke in one of the bedrooms of the Magic Apple Inn with morning sunlight streaming through the window and the sound of someone gently knocking on the door, nudging him out of sleep.

“Lord Peino?”, said a girl’s voice from the other side of the door. It was the young maid who kept the rooms. “Lord Peino, are you awake?”

“Yes, come in,” he anwered groggily.

The girl entered, carrying a basin of water and some towels which she set upon the dresser.

“If you please, sir,” she said shyly, “I’m asked to tell you the harbor master awaits you downstairs.”

“Thank you, I’ll be down shortly.”

“Yes, sir.” With a tiny, quick curtsey, the girl hurried out, closing the door after her.

Peino got out of bed. He’d slept well, and the day was already well along. He hoped the harbor master hadn’t been kept waiting too long, for today he would learn how long it would take and how much it would cost before he could set out to sea again. He opened the window to let in a fresh ocean breeze and the cries of gulls. Looking out across the busy square, over the masts crowded at the docks, he could see his ship, Elandria, anchored in the harbor. The top half of her mainmast was gone, snapped off like a twig by a brutal storm on the passage from Anitora. Half her sheets and shrouds had been cut away to keep the wreckage from dragging her down in the great waves. As it was, the damage had ripped out a long section of the rails and knocked a couple of good holes in her topdeck and side. It had been all Peino and his crew could do to keep her afloat to come limping into Portland the day before yesterday.

Gazing at her broken lines, he muttered to himself, “A month’s work, at least, maybe two.” Provided, that was, that he could pay for it at all. He would have to pay off the crew, he decided, and release them to find other ships to work on, for it was likely he would be staying in Seridia for a fair while. And since he had thrown away that magic stone that those strangers had been so concerned with last night, he supposed he would have to find some other thing to occupy himself with.

But at least he had not lost his ship, nor any of his men, to the storm. That was all that really mattered.

With that thought, he set about washing himself with the water the maid had brought. Dressed only in the under-breeches he had slept in -- the rest of his fine clothes he had tossed over the chair in the corner -- he first splashed his face and rinsed his mouth, then scrubbed his thin body down with a wet towel and then with a dry one. He had the slender physique and deep blue-gray skin of a Sea Elf, the color of a seal’s flank in the water, and his torso was marked by a collection of scars. Marks of swords and daggers, of beasts’ sharp claws, and other signs of adventure and misadventure, some of which he couldn’t even remember getting. The life of a Wave Rover belonged to the Scion of Ereon. Short and merry, as the old saying went.

He dressed quickly and without fuss, eager to end the harbor master’s wait. In his blue and black striped trousers and fine embroidered leather boots, his leather jerkin open over his gray linen shirt, he paused for a second, remembering the events of the previous night. He wondered if the same odd characters would still be there, still asking each other about those wretched stones. With a smile, he smoothed his long white hair over his shoulders, grabbed his cloak, hat and sword, and headed down to meet the harbor master and order some breakfast.

(edited 'cause I forgot my sword, heh.) (and edited again for spellling.)

Edited by peino

(OOC: Eeeps, heaps of posts to read :) Sorry, I don't have the time to read and write up for my character at the moment =( Hope I can get RL sorted out and continue.)

The Draegoni gazed at Aphistolas, she seen the hilt of Amorachiccus and something about her demeanour changed. She tensed, stretching up to her full height -- she was a good head taller than him -- and her hand sword-hand began to move slowly to the hilt of an Emerald Claymore attached to her left. Aphistolas found his hand moving by reflex for Amorachiccus, the familiar texture was comforting, but drawing first would only mean trouble for both parties.

She looked young, relatively speaking of course, but something in her face gave off an impression of experience, of finesse under pressure. Her pre-combat stance was perfect, she could draw her sword before he could even take a step forward. He sensed an understanding about her, that she had once been an extremely joyous, careless child who had been trained and taught for years. The expression on her face was blank, she kept the majority of her emotions invisible.

"I am Aphistolas, Lady Draegoni, and I am a defender of those who are cursed. I do not wish you any harm, but you may be in danger." He said, speaking calmly, hoping she would not misinterpret his statement.

Enly watched the mage warily, she was unsure what to do. Her weapon was within easy reach, even without her magic she could put up a decent fight. Turmoil raged within her as her mind considered her many options. Choices, choices, choices... they plagued her at every moment of her life and she always struggled to make them fast and correctly. Not a sliver of emotion was visible on her face any longer, it would be foolish to betray a choice before it was made. In only a few brief moments her conclusion was reached. Enly suddenly tensed for a moment, her fingers brushing the hilt of her weapon, then she relaxed. She clasped her hands together and let them hang in front of her, visible, and not threatening. Any action against this man this could be made easily at another time, no harm in seeing what he had to say first, and perhaps she could slip away easier later.

"Whatever do you mean?" she asked with an innocent smile. "What sort of danger do you fear I'm in?"

Peino winced as he went over the tally he and the Portland harbor master had worked out together over a breakfast of fruit and bread in the now much cleaner and brighter taproom of the Magic Apple Tavern.

He had agreed to hire local workmen known to the harbor master, an aging bald human with the weathered face of a seasoned seaman, who controlled all ocean traffic in and out of the city and also doubled as a shipbuilder. In exchange for hiring the human’s friends, Peino was quoted favorable rates for the expected labor and a good discount on berthing fees for the time the Elandria would be docked in Portland. It was a good price overall, but steep nevertheless, and Peino had little gold in hand. He would have to raise the funds somehow.

In the meantime, to get things started, he counted out several stacks of coins upon the tavern table, for the ordering of a new mast. He and the harbor master shook hands, and as the grizzled human swept the money into a bag and took his leave, Peino began to think of what to do next.

First off, he paid for his bedroom upstairs for several more days. That was more gold spent. His purse was getting light, and the day was barely started.

Next, he needed to get his personal effects off Elandria and secure anything else that could be stolen while his ship was out of commission. Strapping his sword belt around his hips, tossing his cloak over his shoulder, and settling his blue plumed hat up on his head, he stepped out of the tavern.

Already, the waterfront square was busy with merchants, buyers, travelers and sailors. The dark Elf set out for the boatman's pier, slipping easily through the morning crowds. He smiled as he walked, taking pleasure in the smell of the brisk, briny sea breeze and the beautiful sight of sunshine sparkling like diamonds upon the water. Though he had no idea how he would earn the money he needed, it was impossible to feel anything but happy on such a morning.

Days like this were a promise of good outcomes. Something, he was certain, would come up.

{OOC} Enly and Aphis, I'm confused about where you in Portland right now. Enly's posts made it sound like she was on the southwest point outside the city wall, where I dumped my stone. But Aphis has her inside the city walls, on one of the piers. ??? :) Can one of you clear that up please? I was going to pass by you both talking but I wasn't sure where you were. I'm in the town proper at this time. {/OOC}

{OOC} My intent was that I was outside the city on the little land area that... uh... well I fail at describing, but the north west corner of the map right outside the city. Aphis kinda confused me too so I dunno where I am now :(

Oh and peino, on your previous post... Anitora has one N, you gave it two :) {/OOC}

{OOC} Ok, then we're officially and sixes and sevens, and I'm glad I didn't nod hello in passing to either of you. :evilgrin: I left the tavern and turned right, crossed the bridge, and am walking towards the rowboat pier in the southwest of the city. And I went back and fixed that spelling. :D{/OOC}

Edited by peino

{OOC} Sorry Ahpis, but Enly isn't a patient lass... and you kinda left both peino and I stuck. Unless of course peino wanted to continue on his own :P{/OOC}

Just as the man opened his mouth to respond Enly saw a flash of a blue hat behind him in the crowds. It was the sea elf, Peino. Enly made a sudden decision, born of her shift in priorities since reading the letter.

"Forgive me sir," She said with a bow interrupting the man just as he began to speak. "But I have just seen someone whom I must speak with right away."

Even as she finished speaking Enly was already moving, slipping deftly past the man and slipping away into the crowds. She didn't look back and begged the gods that the man would not follow. Once she had safely lost herself among the people, she searched for the sea elf. His hat wasn't hard to locate among the people, and she weaved quickly past several people and came up beside the elf and fell into step beside him.

She'd learned a few things of the elf the night before in the tavern. One, was that he was of a clan of sea elves, and sea elves had ships. A ship, was exactly what she needed.

"Good day sir elf," she said with a slight smile as he glanced at her. "I... I'd like to apologize for any anger I expressed last night at your disposal of the stone. Upon discovering more information, I believe you did the right thing. And with my apology in order, I must beg you a favor."

Edited by Enly

As Peino strode along the waterfront, the Draegoni lady Enly came hurrying up beside him and greeted him cordially.

"Good day, sir elf," she said with a little smile. She then presented a nice, succinct, little apology for the previous night and announced the need of a favor from him.

Peino stopped his walking. He noticed that she looked a little tired, as if she had not slept at all, though her blue hair and green scales glimmered like the sea around them under the sun. With a smile born of his good mood, the sea elf executed a courtly bow before her.

"My dear lady," he said, "no apology is needed. And as for favors, I will gladly do whatever is in my power. You have but to ask."

{OOC} hmm, I do believe that you and I are all thats left here o.O ah well... lets keep at it! :confused: {/OOC}

Enly paused for a moment. She didn't know the elf well and had no idea whether he'd be willing to help her. Enly's thoughts drifted briefly to her brother, and to the other contents of his letter. She fought back tears as the knot in her chest began to tighten and her grief became nearly unbearable. Iringold help me, I must pull myself together, she thought to herself. Taking a deep breath she made her request and begged the gods that the elf would be able to help her.

"You're a sea elf are you not? I need a ship, and a fast journey to Iscalrith. I can pay well, but I need to get to Iscalrith, and there are few boats in these parts making the long trek to Irilion, and even fewer going to the draegoni lands. In fact there are most likely none at all."

{OOC} We're in good company then. :confused: {/OOC}

Enly's request left Peino somewhat taken aback. She needed a ship, and here he was stranded on land. What strange fate was at work here? First that ludicrous business of the stones that brought them to the Magic Apple, and now this -- one misstep or confusion after another, it seemed. Peino felt his own happy mood thrown into sharp contrast against the visible distress he saw building in the Draegoni's face.

He bowed his head to her. "Lady Enly, I am sorry. What you ask is, sadly, not in my power to give you. I do have a ship, and there she is." He pointed across the busy harbor to where the Elandria lay at anchor. "As you can see, she's got but half a mast and neither sail nor rigging left at all. Not to mention the holes in her deck. 70,000 gold coins to make the repairs, at least, and all my money's in Irsis. I was just on my way to get my belongings off her and then figure out a way to raise the funds. But I fear I'll not be sailing anywhere anytime soon."

Peino felt a pang at Enly's painful disappointment as she gazed at the broken ship.

"Look, here," he said, "it's obvious that some heavy trouble is burdening you. Why not tell me about it? True, we are strangers, but who knows? If it's a practical matter of getting from one place to another, perhaps I can help find a solution. They say two heads are better than one, after all."

{Out of character chit-chat: Sorry guys, lately the neurons have been somewhere else. Spring Break has actually not been as easy-going as I anticipated; studying, finally got a chemistry tutor (and he's absolutely baffling), earning my first belt in Tukido hopefully soon :laugh: . The brain has just been on auto-pilot, you know? And for some reason I have a peculiar urge to learn and speak in impeccable Queen's English.

Also, upon reflection, this RP kinda veered off course pretty fast (Enly's idea of stones), and I pushed it right off the cliff (Protectors & Bearers, etc.) do you mind [Peino] if it continues this way? I'm willing to retcon some things if you're unhappy with it.

Edit-y banter x2: Whoa, Iscalrith now? Irilion is a little out-the-way of an open-ended RP, but whatever I'll go with that :laugh: . Typing up a post.)

Edited by Aphistolas

{OOC} Well with the state of Peino's ship, I doubt Enly will get a trip to Iscalrith anytime soon :laugh:

And Peino, I dunno if I'll be able to keep up with this or not, I'm kinda busy, and have become dissatisfied with the turn of the story anyway. So many changes and clashing scenes, I feel like it doesn't fit and my character is to inconsistent and I'm getting confused keeping up with this and maintaining a character I like... >.<

Personally I'd like to say "good show" and be done with it. As well as hope the flurry of activity in the RP forums here won't die out to fast. If you two want to keep going, I'll stick with it though :laugh:

{/OOC}