Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vetarai

Gumbi and the Talking Bears

A long time ago, there was a Dwarf named Gumbi. He lived in Zirinkinbar. He had curly black hair, a long mangled beard that went to his knees, and dakr brown skin. One day, he went hunting. It was early in the morning, and he was about to go back home empty-handed when he caught a bear in a trap. It was a panda, and he was about to kill it when it said "Please do not kill me! Let me free and I will someday reward you!" Gumbi may have been hungry, but he had a kind heart and let the panda go.

The next day, he was hunting in the same place. It was exactly noon, and he was about to go home empty-handed when his trap caught a black bear. He was about to kill it when it pleaded "Please do not kill me! Let me free and I will someday reward you!" Gumbi was really hungry, but he had a kind heart and let the black bear go.

The next day, he was hunting in the same place. It was late afternon, and he was about to go home empty-handed when his trap caught a brown bear. He was about to kill it when it cried "Please do not kill me! Let me free and I will someday reward you!" Gumbi was really hungry, but he had a kind heart and let the brown bear go.

The next day, he went hunting in the same place. He had come home empty-handed, and was starving. He was fast asleep when he was awoken by a sudden flash outside his window. He got up and looked out the window. There, outside, were the three bears. They all said "We thank you, Gumbi, for sparing our lives. And true to our word, we will reward you. We are eternally greatfull." They walked away, and then, raining from the sky came a shower of fruits and bread. It rained all through the night and all the next day. Gumbi never went hungry again, and learned that kindness always had it's benefits.

Edited by Vetarai

A couple things:

--I'm not sure how appropriate it is for meat to be raining down, after all, the only way to get meat is by killing the animals, which Gumbi deliberately didn't do. Would the bears who are grateful for their lives to be spared reward him with meat from other animals being killed? I would substitute bread or fruit.

--I really like the idea of a fable with a moral to the story, and a happy ending of course. However somehow it has the ring of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears"... the "Once upon a time" style sounds more appropriate for a 4 year old's fairy tale than an EL fable.

I do like the fable concept though, it could be a great way to explain a lot of previously unexplainable things in EL!

gumbi bears, tasty, red ones are my fav!

On a serious note though, why not include it as an EL fable/children's tale? i.e, in the nursery of a house as an xml or something? it would be quite novel! (scuse the pun)

Edited by pennifuin

Ill be honest, I like it, yes it rings of a few other things, but a perfect tale one would tell to a small child while in Irilion. However I think the end needs to be reworked it is...Cheesy I know its a kid's story but it truly is killing me with the over-the-top cheese. If I may give it a try.

The next day, Gumbi was absolutly starving! and lacked the strength to hunt. He was fast asleep when he was awoken by a sudden flash outside his window. He got up and looked out the window. There, outside, were the three bears! They all said in unison "We would like to thank you, Gumbi, for sparing our lives. And true to our word, we will reward you." The bears smiled with teethy grins and walked away, leaving fruit and vegtables behind in a pile for Gumbi. The three bears would come again and again if ever Gumbi was in need of food. Gumbi learned that kindness always has it's benefits.

Eh, mine is kind of cheesy too. But I like it, good child's story.

Edited by Brom