Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
peino

The Legend of Fyod Merevig

This is the beginning of the rough summary of my idea for the Egratia Magic School story. This has been giving me a lot of trouble, so to make myself stay on track and prove I'm working on it, I decided to post what I have so far. I will be adding to this, Roja, but feel free to comment, reject, and/or question at any time. :hug:

THE LEGEND OF FYOD MEREVIG

PART 1 - THE IRON CHAIR

Opening - Fyod Merevig sweeps into the classroom of Sigils Master Urdo Viy, half an hour late, in the middle of spell conjugations exercises, and takes the empty seat next to Galian Starhawk, the one the elf maiden had been especially hoping would stay empty for the rest of the term.

”Mr. Merevig,” intones Sigils Master Urdo in loud and disdainful tones, “what do you mean walking into this classroom at this hour?”

”We have a paper due, do we not?”, replies the flamboyant Fyod, equally loudly and disdainfully, dropping a folio of papers upon the pitted desk and taking the seat next to Galian.

Thus begins the Legend of Fyod Merevig, on the first day that Galian Starhawk meets Fyod Merevig and sees, before they ever sit down to tip an ale together, the shadow of relentless and pitiless warfare that hangs over Fyod and the Sigils Master of the Tarsengaard Magic School.

The tall, pale, quiet, polite Galian Starhawk of Tirnwood seems an unlikely friend for the dark, fiery, moody, arrogant, and rebellious Fyod Merevig of Zirakinbar, but their opposite personalities form an immediate connection that quickly grows to a strange kind of romance - the love of two people following divergent destinies. The fond fate of Fyod and Galian is as inexplicable as the unending conflict between Fyod and Urdo Viy, the dull, jealous, conservative, and insecure Sigils Master. Galian is there to see this conflict develop as Fyod and Urdo simply cannot ignore each other. Fyod cannot restrain himself from making Urdo the target of countless jokes and pranks, and Urdo cannot simply fail the problem student but must plot and agitate against him continuously among the faculty of the school.

But Galian gets to know Fyod away from that unhappy business, too. She gets to see him among his friends, the tavern club who call themselves the Merry Mages, who outsiders refer to as the Merevig Gang or the Merevigians, who like to hang out at the tavern in Valley of the Dwarves (far from the professors of Tarsengaard) drinking and laughing and throwing buns and talking long into the night of radical theories and heretical philosophies.

And she also gets to see Fyod’s many experiments, especially his most valued, most secret project: the Iron Chair of Flying, which to her eyes is nothing but an ordinary chair stolen from the dormitory, but which Fyod promises (with a wild light in his eyes) will prove his most fundamental theories to be true. For Fyod Merevig is driven by a profound ambition - to create a new style of magic, a new tradition to revolutionize life on Draia.

Galian is not sure if he is right or merely caught up in a youthful craze, but one thing she does know is that he will accomplish nothing if he continues to provoke the anger of Urdo Viy. But Fyod doesn’t care. His dreams carry him to the heights, and embarrassing the boring old Urdo is just a pleasant amusement along the way from the old and outdated to the new and vibrant.

But the wise Galian is right. For two years, she runs interference for Fyod and helps him avoid the worst of Urdo’s accusations and machinations against him. But what she cannot help is that she is a year ahead of him. She offers to stay with him after she graduates, but he knows she has been accepted for higher training at Arius and insists that she go. She leaves, worrying about how he will fare with no one between him and Urdo Viy.

PART 2 - THE SIGN OF THE HALF-RAVEN

PART 3 - CYCLOPS AND CIRCLE DANCES

NOTE: Each part of the story pivots on one of Fyod's magical experiments, which to outsiders just look like pranks but which are all part of his elaborate theories of magic. Fyod's philosophies are based on the explanation of magic given by Atekel in the past life quest.

And now my brain is fuddled and I need to go walkabout on this again.

Looks like it'll be an interesting read.

Just a note, I was going to add a NPC that explains the REAL reason people are here and basically says that Atekel is full of crap :hug: (which she is). :) Dunno if that conflicts

When I did that quest, I concluded that Atekel was full of crap anyway (and I wished there was a lawyer NPC so I could sue her for the value of my rose quartzes and my time), so no, there'll be no conflict. :hug:

In fact, I'd like it if Atekel's story stays in the game but she is denounced as a charlatan, also in game, because that would mirror where I'm going with this story nicely.

Looks like it'll me a good one, can't wait to read it pei :laugh:

And down with Atekel :D

Sounds interesting :omg:

Atekel would only be "full of crap" to those who think she is. But not everyone would. I'm assuming you are just referring to the past quest here.

Please also keep in mind that ALL quests currently in the game will stay as they are.

And of course Atekel's explaination of magic isn't crap at all, it would be a scientific theory to how it all works. And would most likely be true.

Here I have copied Atekel's magic ideas: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...id=412521

Sounds interesting :pickaxe:

Atekel would only be "full of crap" to those who think she is. But not everyone would. I'm assuming you are just referring to the past quest here.

Please also keep in mind that ALL quests currently in the game will stay as they are.

And of course Atekel's explaination of magic isn't crap at all, it would be a scientific theory to how it all works. And would most likely be true.

Here I have copied Atekel's magic ideas: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...id=412521

LOL, of course, her magic theories aren't crap at all, but I do have to say that past quest reminded me of people like psychic John Edwards and various new age charlatans I've dealt with.

I am definitely going with the idea that Ateke is full of crap only to those who disagree with her or with certain interpretations or applications of her theories. The mage Fyod Merevig is one who takes her theories in a direction that certain members of the mage establishment strongly disapprove of.

And thanks so much for that link. I was going to beg someone to take that quest for me just to get the text from her dialogue box. :icon13: (I already took it, but don't have the full text and couldn't take it again.)