Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rabbitman

Tank_Rabbit's Tank Building Guide

The purpose of this guide is to give the basics of how to start an a/d gap tank. The first thing I want to emphasize is that this type of build requires inordinate amounts of time and gc to get started. It will likely take 2-3 months to be able to start joining the noob instance. If this sounds like something you are interested in, read on.

There are two ways to start this build. The first is to harvest for gc, the other is to buy some shop items to sell to get you started. For an ideal a/d gap, getting your first 20 oas from strictly a/d is necessary, but you can still have less than 30 ATT when you enter 60-80 if you so not start this way. The most important thing to remember is to not take any reasoning or coordination.

Method 1

If you start with gc, buy a CoL, padded leather armours, augmented leather pants, unicorn medallions, fire arrows, and wooden battle hammers. Next, neg up like a pr0: Take scotty, power hungry, antisocial, hellspawn, and I can't ,dance. Then take Evanesence, and no more tears perks. Take 5 human nexus. If my math is right, you should have 19 pp available. Take instinct to 20 and vitality to 6. You will remove icd and hspawn soon. Buy an mm cape and stop by naralik and join mortos. Stay at the bottom rank for -8% exp. Ideally, keep your physique and coordination at 4 until this initial training is done. If you really want more emu, put some pp in physique.

With this ensemble, go flee train deer. You will die a lot. Continue in this manner until you no longer go straight to ip when you die. Stop by the tutorial npc and heal each time you are in ip. If you want to not die as much, buy dis rings and heal from tutorial npc when you are low. Place your pp from oas into vitality until you have 20 as well. Once you are able, start flee training on wolves. Once you start going to hell, stop training in this manner (I think oa 20).

After this, start training magic and harvest until you can remove icd, hspawn, and get there is no fork. At this point, begin training in the same way as method 2.

Method 2

This is the method to follow if you do not plan to buy gc. Choose your favorite method of earning gc. Earn a lot. I recommend toadies in votd since no inorganic nexus is needed.

Keep your physique at 20 or less, and get no coordination. Start training magic at this point. With your oas, get no more tears, evanesence, and there is no fork. After getting the perks, build up 20 instinct and vitality. Earn enough gc to get a CoL or holam and 3k he and corresponding srs. Buy some fire arrows, padded leather armours, augmented leather pants, unicorn medallions, and wooden battle hammers.

Start flee training with beavers or deer, dependant on what you want to try and what your instinct is.

For both builds, switch to a steel shield if you get too annoyed with the fire arrows. In the beginning you are primarily trying to stop normal hits, so the accuracy subtract is perfect. Once you get to female orcs, switch to a steel shield and iron plate mail. Also, switch to Aluwen and get top rank. From this point on you are more concerned with stopping crit to hit rolls than accuracy. Take balanced amounts of instinct and vitality until you have 32/32. Put the next 16 pp into instinct.

Once you are training on female orcs, you have hit the expensive part of training a tank. Once you have restore and can do female orcs decently well, start training male and female orcs.

At this point you will not want to go back to storage every time you have to restock, so prepare a hyperbag before you go to train. Either make it yourself using an mm cape and keys, or make some friends and have them help you :). Continue to work the flee key until orcs ignore you.

As for astro, if you are willing to adjust your training times by it, it can greatly help your a/d gap. Train when you crit to hit and accuracy astro is deep in the negative. If you aren't willing to adjust your training schedule, high crit to hit astro can really hurt your a/d xp ratio, so I would advise going skeptic.

I used a method more like #2 when I started training. I didn't use fire arrows when I trained from the start, and I still have 39/101 a/d. They add a lot of hassle, but it is possible to get 0 att xp on a consistent basis if you train with them.

Tank_Rabbit

Edited by Rabbitman

Nowhere have I mentioned #afk or multi training. To my understanding an a/d gap for instances/invances has not been discouraged as it promotes team play. I have been asked by numerous people how to start this type of build so I figured I would share what I have learned. If any rules are changed to discourage this type of build, I will follow them.

What value does the wide a/d gap have over little/no gap given the attributes/perks/build is the same. If the build is for instance/invances then there's nothing wrong with getting some hits in there. And if it's not for afk training (a bit of a urban legend anyway I think) then killing the critter isn't much worse than flee-training.

Having a large a<d gap means you can compete in an instance with a much higher def than anyone else, it's not that you want low attack so you don't hit in instance, you want high def so you can tank much better than others with a normal build.

And afk-training in modern el isn't an urban legend, afk tank training ofc is though :P

Edited by evilmangopie

Having a large a<d gap means you can compete in an instance with a much higher def than anyone else, it's not that you want low attack so you don't hit in instance, you want high def so you can tank much better than others with a normal build.

This doesnt make a lot of sense IMHO in the context of bkc56's question. For example if you have a fighter having 170/170 a/d and another one having 50/170 a/d, the big gap doesn't mean a much higher def at all, it just means a much lower att :P So what would be the value if you compare combat skills numbers like this ones?

The values that I could see so far are (1) from a roleplaying view and (2) from an elite perspective (being one of only a few having such build).

This doesnt make a lot of sense IMHO in the context of bkc56's question. For example if you have a fighter having 170/170 a/d and another one having 50/170 a/d, the big gap doesn't mean a much higher def at all, it just means a much lower att :P So what would be the value if you compare combat skills numbers like this ones?

The values that I could see so far are (1) from a roleplaying view and (2) from an elite perspective (being one of only a few having such build).

Qualifying for an instance depends on your (a+d)/2, so with low att and higher def you can qualify for a lower instance.

With 40/110 a/d you can still enter the 60-80 instance, for instance (bad pun not intended). With 110/110 a/d you can't enter 60-80 or 80-100 instances.

Edited by evilmangopie

Qualifying for an instance depends on your (a+d)/2, so with low att and higher def you can qualify for a lower instance.

Finally. Someone presents a point that makes sense (and probably should have been obvious).

Thank you.