Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Quinticus

XML format

Would it be possible to make a non-scaleable font for books? like a fixed type and size?

If so, then it would be easier to type in the tears and such since the background image will define the window size, or am I wrong?

Wytters book window is 320x400 pixels in size for scrolls and 528x320 pixels in size for books, you can align with that if you like. Don't make them too big. The texture image size has to be a power of 2: 32x32, 64x64, ... up to 512x512. They are scaled using the height and width (in pixels) properties in imagedef.xml. Try to use as small as possible images to save memory.

Sorry, I won't let you hard-code the stain or tear position, because it won't work with the translations. I know it might look better, but you can already achieve good results with alpha blending for the stains (oops, seems we need PNG). Torn pages are even worse with translations, so I think it's best restricting them to abruptly ending pages (you define the word after which to end). I could then try to squish and squeeze a tear texture so that it fits the final position of that word. Both features are dreams of the future though, there are lots of more vital things to do first. In the meantime, you'll have to describe the stains and tears in words I'm sorry.

With regards

Lachesis

I noticed that there is one book and one paper in the textures folder.

The book is 512x256 pixels and the paper is 256x256 pixels, so I made my images in those sizes. All images in BMP 8-bit.

First out are some drawn books and papers, later I will make some photoshop generated scrolls (papers).

This is an example in jpg-format:

book2-example.jpg

If this is to staisfaction and you want to see them in the BMP-format i have them in a zip-file. Please post here if you you want me to post them.

Edited by Derin

Looks good, Derin. :) The textures of paper3 and paper4 I like especially (although the latter looks like wool :P)

You might want to tone down the yellow a bit for paper5 and 6... it's too glaring and artificial. Also, paper2's scroll section doesn't...quite seem right, somehow. I think it's to do with the way the paper curls, or maybe the shadows.

The books are great. :)

-Lyn-

Looks good, Derin. :D The textures of paper3 and paper4 I like especially (although the latter looks like wool :P)

You might want to tone down the yellow a bit for paper5 and 6... it's too glaring and artificial. Also, paper2's scroll section doesn't...quite seem right, somehow. I think it's to do with the way the paper curls, or maybe the shadows.

The books are great. :)

-Lyn-

169568[/snapback]

The wooly look is intentional, it is supposed to be vellum.

I will tone down the yellow

paper 2 is sorta 'fictional', the perspective is off. I intended it as an Eternal lands artist view of a scroll, not as a real one - sort of an epic idea thingy type of.... :D

I will update the file as soon as my fingers are back on track.

Here is another zip file with more scrolls:

More scrolls (papers)

Comments:

Paper2 remade ---> paper21

paper5 remade ---> paper51

paper6 remade ---> paper61

paper7,8,9,10,11,12,13 are photoshop generated scrolls.

Example (jpg) of a photoshop generated scroll:

paper10.jpg

Edited by Derin

I'm always anew[ly] amazed by our artists' works. :) I'm looking forward to seeing them in game. I'm not sure how you want to place the text on the heavily torn one though. It would be possible to set high margins so that the text only appears in the middle, but I'm not sure if that's what you want. If not, can you please make an example with text on that paper? Thank you :)

Lachesis

For torn pages there can be missing text. And I was thinking of using spaces for that (if possible)

Like:

In the____days_____dreamer,

my fr____came____tal destruction

of the___inents__so the world was

split into severa__arts. Now we are

in the process of reestablishing

contact with the other continents.

Where the "_" represents two rips in the paper, those should be spaces, but this board wont recognize that :P

Edited by Derin

Can you trace round the shape of the tearing in photoshop and layer the resultant white space on top the of the text?

i'm not sure if i'm hijacking or digressing, but...

What is the exact format that we are supposed to use? Is ttanhil's tool acceptable at the moment? Or where can i go to find out. I was just going to get the first story into XML format when i realized that i wasn't sure how to do this.

Also, where do you want the files once they are formatted, lyanna?

I would like to get started on XMLing the entries so we can have them ready.

For torn pages there can be missing text. And I was thinking of using spaces for that (if possible)

Like:

In the____days_____dreamer,

my fr____came____tal destruction

of the___inents__so the world was

split into severa__arts. Now we are

Where the "_" represents two rips in the paper, those should be spaces, but this board wont recognize that  :P

171194[/snapback]

You can try using code

In the    days     dreamer,
my fr    came    tal destruction
of the   inents  so the world was
split into severa  arts. Now we are

Is ttanhil's tool acceptable at the moment?

171520[/snapback]

nope

clicky

I'll come up with some changes to make it work when I have some spare time

You can't use spaces for layout issues. All whitespace in your document will be treated like a single space, just like in HTML. You can use the underscores to mark unreadable parts but whatever you use to mark them you have to explain to the user. Maybe it would be useful to include a hint of the underscores' meaning in the help section instead of the books themselves. The correct formats are described in detail in the encyclopedia semantic markup example file [1], which is kept in sync with the semantic markup schema definition [2] in EL I18N (Internationalization) CVS [3]

[1] https://freepository.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi...y_with_tag=HEAD

[2] https://freepository.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi...y_with_tag=HEAD

[3] https://freepository.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi...kcfUqGlukel-enc

P.S. I'd like to stress this again: Don't try to do anything that relies on the exact position of a piece of text. This is not and will not be supported by intent, because it makes life really hard for translators.

Edited by Lachesis

Okay. For the moment, anyway, we don't have any stories that need certain texts in certain places. That was just planning for the future (like ttlanhil's Account of a Life Essence story).

Poetry IS supported, right, Lachesis?

Actually, I'd like to put someone permanently in charge of this whole publishing part and take it off my hands so I can work on other stuff. Quint, ttlanhil, Derin, do you guys want it? Or anyone else, for that matter? You'd basically be in charge of everything, from selecting which stories to be published where, converting them to XML, then actually dumping them in the CVS languages repository, and specifying the def files to identify which in-game book is to be clicked on in order to read the script.

I want to get a whole "Publishing" section team trained up, so that this becomes routine for us in Storylines, and we can move on to other things. That's why I'm not doing it myself... I'm deliberately trying to make myself redundant. :ph34r: So I need a Head of Publishing. I can help out with the critique and editing of the entries, of course, but I'm hoping to assign someone to that too.

-Lyn-

Poetry will be supported, but you have to tell me

1) What markup you need. My suggestion:

<lyrics>
<stanza>
 <vl>verse line</vl>
 <vl>...</vl>
</stanza>
</lyrics>

. If the poem/song/ballad/... is not devided into stanzas, you treat them as if there was only one stanza.

2) How you want them laid out. I suggest an increased indent for the whole poem, a half-line vertical space between stanzas and of course each verse line on a separate line. Later when I get slanted characters implemented maybe the text should be displayed in slanted font?

P.S. How shall I wrap long verse lines? My suggestion:

.---------------------------.----
|                           |
|  This is an               |
|      incredibly long      |
|      verse line that      |
|     has to be wrapped     |
|          sophisticatedly. |
|                           |

Edited by Lachesis

1) The markup example you gave seems sufficient for now... I can't think of any advanced structures that have been used by our poets yet. (Though it would be really interesting if some poet could come up with shaped poems...but I think we're not that advanced yet :D)

2) Increased indent is a must... in fact, I was thinking perhaps an option to center the script? It would depend on the poem, but some might prefer that option for display. Yes, slanted characters would be appreciated. :) If we can get more font choices, that would be nice, too. :)

3) Long verse lines ARE troublesome... I like your suggestion of deeper indents. How many characters can fit into a line, though? Hopefully, we won't need more than two lines, max.

-Lyn-

Actually, I'd like to put someone permanently in charge of this whole publishing part and take it off my hands so I can work on other stuff. Quint, ttlanhil, Derin, do you guys want it? Or anyone else, for that matter? You'd basically be in charge of everything, from selecting which stories to be published where, converting them to XML, then actually dumping them in the CVS languages repository, and specifying the def files to identify which in-game book is to be clicked on in order to read the script.

173438[/snapback]

not sure if I'm the best person to be selecting stories, but the rest I could probably do okay

Lyanna I can take the publishing duties over. I haven't been active the past week or so because of life issues. They are under control now though *pulls out bloodied big emergency thwarting stick*. All i need is a reference to the exact coding necessary for making books. I'll begin mapping out book locations immediately. And can someone teach me (here or in PM) how to manage the CVS repository and def files.

I need to get familliar with def files anyway because of our guild map. I volunteered to do the def files :D. Which i have a few questions for wytter and those chums on anyway.

Also, I can help with editing and i will be happy to give any critiques that come in. Just let me know and i'll be all too happy.

Edited by Quinticus

I think Quinticus would be an excellent choice for this.

And oh, Quinticus, if you have some questions about the gods and stuff regarding them....PM me :D

Edited by Derin

1) The markup example you gave seems sufficient for now... I can't think of any advanced structures that have been used by our poets yet. (Though it would be really interesting if some poet could come up with shaped poems...but I think we're not that advanced yet :blink:)

Shaped problems would really be problematic, but they probably can be addressed using images until a better solution is found.

2) Increased indent is a must... in fact, I was thinking perhaps an option to center the script? It would depend on the poem, but some might prefer that option for display. Yes, slanted characters would be appreciated. :) If we can get more font choices, that would be nice, too. :)

It's not very common to center poems, but if desired, maybe the same method like with shaped poems can be used. Alternatively, I could introduce a "class" and "id" global attribute that can be used in the stylesheet in a CSS-like manner in order to allow a finer-graned formatting of the text.

3) Long verse lines ARE troublesome... I like your suggestion of deeper indents. How many characters can fit into a line, though? Hopefully, we won't need more than two lines, max.

173677[/snapback]

Actually it's first (physical) line aligned left, last line aligned right, inbetween centered. I stole this from formula wrapping. The number of characters in a line depends on so many things that it's impossible to tell in general. You know, you can scale the font, define window size, minimal and maximal letter and word spacing, and I also planned slanted and widened* font variants.

*) Basically you can read them "poor man's" italic and bold variants.

Actually it's first (physical) line aligned left, last line aligned right, inbetween centered. I stole this from formula wrapping. The number of characters in a line depends on so many things that it's impossible to tell in general. You know, you can scale the font, define window size, minimal and maximal letter and word spacing, and I also planned slanted and widened* font variants.

*) Basically you can read them "poor man's" italic and bold variants.

176648[/snapback]

Ah, I see. That's all we really need then. Thanks Lachesis. :angry: I'll leave it to Quinticus and ttlanhil to handle the rest. For the moment, I want both of you to handle publishing, but eventually let ttlanhil take the job, because I've got bigger responsibilities planned for Quinticus. :angry:

-Lyn-

Edited by Lyanna

Ah, I see. That's all we really need then. Thanks Lachesis. :D I'll leave it to Quinticus and ttlanhil to handle the rest. For the moment, I want both of you to handle publishing, but eventually let ttlanhil take the job, because I've got bigger responsibilities planned for Quinticus. :P

-Lyn-

176812[/snapback]

Eek! Sounds ominous, Lyanna. I'll get to work on the publishing stuff this afternoon by selecting some stories and starting to get them converted. I'll also start thinking of some sort of structure for the publishing team that you want. Any ideas?