Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
2cute2

first game you ever played?

Just wondering. Mine was flying tigers this DOS game were you shot down all these planes n buildings n whatever.MY little brother and I played like ever night after dinner from when I was like 6 till I was 9. What was yours? :blink:

First video game? Geez, I guess this pr0 console system called Pong. I still have it stashed away somewhere. I used to play with my bro on a small black & white television.

but pong is black and white :P

that was the first game i ever played aswell, dont know on which console though ;\

Yeah, I think it was a console made by Atari, and my parents got it from Sears, Roebuck and Co. My brother and I just had this ridiculous little TV we hooked up to. And that's all it played, it was literally a Pong console - though I believe it had a few gameplay variations.

I played the pong/ciga atari games as well when I was young.

BUt the first games I played on pc that really stuck out (and still do) are the Moneky Island games

Humor, fun, challanging and brilliant games.

Probably Tetris on the NES or something when I was 2 years old, started on (and got addicted to) Super Mario Bros. on the SNES the year after. =P

I guess I grew up with a controller in my hands. :P

-Gohan

Cannot remember exactly which one was the first, it was usually when ever my brother wasn't playing then I'd jump on the PC and try do what ever he did... but i remember this old game..

Scortched Earth

hate to break this wonderful "pong" thread guys, but the very first game i played was the QBASIC program Gorilla :hehe::P:laugh:

anybody remember that??? it came with DOS 6.x :blink:

if you wanna try it, click here.

Edited by DibClark

hate to break this wonderful "pong" thread guys, but the very first game i played was the QBASIC program Gorilla :hehe::P:laugh:

anybody remember that??? it came with DOS 6.x :blink:

if you wanna try it, click here.

I played a QBasic game that featured two gorillas on either side of the screen. They threw bananas at each other and you had to enter the speed and angle at which to throw the banana and get past obstacles. There's a bunch of games like that. I found it on the internet around 1997.

I played some teletype based BASIC (the programming language) games like Lunar Lander or some such back in the late 70's.

The first significant game I remember playing was classical Adventure ("You're in a maze of twisty turning passages all different") right around 1980 or '81. It was on a 5" floppy that I would boot from and play the game. The good old days when RAM was measured in K bytes (not Meg or Gig).

My first video game console was a Sega Master System (which I still have, saved away).

holy blast from the past Batman

first ever games system i was given was the Spectrum 128k and the games were loaded with cassettes lol that was tedious waiting around 35-40 minutes for a game to even load, and now we bitch when we get 3 second lag on EL

but the game that stuck out for me on spectrum was Dizzy the Egg thinger, that was cool

And also Predator based on the movie because I literally couldnt get past the first 15 seconds of the game it was IMPOSSIBLE ( you walked along like a side scrolling platform game, didnt even get chance to shoot anyone and then the red triangle of the predators laser target would appear on screen and blow you away EVERYTIME , you couldnt jump or run or anything it just shot the **** out of you without fail ) and it still took like 45 mins to load ( if it didnt crash after 30 mins load ) , loved it

SCREEEEEEECH *static static * SCREEEEEEEEEEECH

* i even attempted some programming on the spectrum it was possible to programme your own games with it so i followed this magazines codes to make a simple game called Dolphin , it took hours to write and it sucked !!! Spectrum 128k why do I remember it fondly when it was obviously designed by a sadist

Edited by Ateh

first ever games system i was given was the Spectrum 128k and the games were loaded with cassettes lol that was tedious waiting around 35-40 minutes for a game to even load, and now we bitch when we get 3 second lag on EL

Did it really take that long? From my recollection games used to take about 5-8 minutes to load, but even that seemed like an eternity, and that's ignoring games like Double Dragon and Operation Thunderbolt that required a seperate load for each level, (and a full reload when you died!)

One thing that amazed me about the Spectrum was it's physical durability. By the time I moved on to my Amiga, my spectrum's keyboard had literally gone concave with about half a centimeter's difference between the height of the keyboard on the edges, and the middle, and yet it worked perfectly. Nowadays I'm lucky to get more than 6 months from a keyboard.

The tape drive was a completely different story. It's bad enough to wait around for a game to load, but inevitably there were games that would seem to load, only to fail 30 seconds before the end of the loading. I remember I had a number of games that would only load if i left the tape tray open, put the tape directly into the player, bypassing the tray, and then propped up the tape on one side, using a spoon, or similar object.

Funnilly enough, i wouldn't trade those memories for anything. Even now i get nostalgic for stripy loading borders, and *that initial loading sound*.

* i even attempted some programming on the spectrum it was possible to programme your own games with it so i followed this magazines codes to make a simple game called Dolphin , it took hours to write and it sucked !!! Spectrum 128k why do I remember it fondly when it was obviously designed by a sadist

Were you referring to 128k basic, or 48k basic? At least 128k mode allowed you to just type in basic, instead of scanning the keyboard for the commands... press j for LOAD, p for PRINT etc...

Sir Clive Sinclair, proving that the line between genius and insanity is very fine indeed.

it seemed like 45 mins to load a game !

and yes I had lots of issues with the tapes loading, Commando did it, Dick Tracy did it alot to , TMNT

I remember my friend and I played Dick Tracy for weeks trying to kill the end boss it was damn near impossible ( I seem to remember the difficulty lvl on these old games was insanely hard ) , anyways by fluke my friend managed to kill the end boss and after all that loading, dying, retrying for what seemed an eternity we were so excited to see the end credits roll across the screen and there were none. The screen just went kinda fuzzy looking and the words ''Congratulations'' appeared in a black box. needless to say we felt somehow this was not enough lol

And the programming aspect I really dont remember I only tried it once and the game called Dolphin looked more like a stick and some circles that had no purpose

And yes, the tape deck worked more consistently when you jammed the tape in with a metal object lol

IIRC it was that the decks arms would not close properly for some reason and that meant the tape would not align with the reading part or the wheels

OMG it chewed alot of my tapes to :whistle:

But still, every kid should be as frustrated over something as I was with the 128k , it builds character

Metal Gear Solid 1 on Playstation 1... it was ftw. that and Gran Turismo 1/2. the first computer game i ever really played was runescape. i player it for like a month, but it was way to easy to lv, and i found EL. played EL off/on (mostly on :whistle: ) for almsot 2 years, and have played WoW and talisman online in between the times off. currentaly still play TO/EL at the same time, but internet was cut off at my house cus the price was raised to $200 :X