Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pennifuin

The Ocean Strider's Voyage.

For those who did not read it, in the summer, a merry band of fellows, myself included, had probably one of the most succesful and productive forum RP's to date. I think we all had an immensely fun time writing and starring in it (i know i did!) in case you have not read it, Brom the Storyteller and Ladywolf, have compiled it here:

The Ocean Strider's Voyage

This preceded the Irillion Update, and tells of our voyage and discovery of the new lands.

To cut to the chase, i think this would make a great .xml to include somewhere in the game, so that players can go and read it actually in-game. [pl library? tars ms library?] It gives some *real* game legacy, placing players of EL actually into the game history, not only in the sense that we were here and we played the game 'back in the day', but that we also added to it and participated in the stories that make up our Eternal Lands, as if we were actual residents of EL in times long past, i feel it would merge the boundaries between gameplay and roleplay/the el tales and legends. Players in years to come will say 'I remember Brom and Pennifuin, wow that was cool' and the New Bees of the future will say 'they were real players?? thats coolorz!!'

I think it makes sense that the current players should be written into the annals of the game, as we are a part of beta development, a part of the game itself at the moment. I have spoken to Brom and Ladywolf, and TTL and they all agree that this would be a good idea. Plus, its quite a nice piece of literature. :hehe:

dont know if Brom has brought this up yet?

I totally agree with this (as Penn mentioned). It was my first attempt at forum rp'ing and I had a blast, and I know most everyone involved did too. It would be nice to see this made into a readable book in one of the libraries, f not on c1, then maybe on c2?

I totally agree with this (as Penn mentioned). It was my first attempt at forum rp'ing and I had a blast, and I know most everyone involved did too. It would be nice to see this made into a readable book in one of the libraries, f not on c1, then maybe on c2?

plus, unlike alot of the other rp's it stay's true to el history and lore!

I was born in the year of the Sheep/Goat/Ram so i am VERY stubborn. Watch and be amazed.

(Really in my head im thinking "oh man this will never work....")

personally i dont think that keeping it as a forum thread or a page on a website/fansite is enough, i mean who wants to search through archive upon archive? theres no incentive to read it. If its something you discover in game, a secret for instance, then i think people would feel more inclined to get involved and read.

i did have an idea: The story could be split into sections. All hidden in diferent places. You have to find the first book/scroll/scrap, read it, then there would be a clue as to the location of the nex part of the story is. Would make a mini-game/treasure hunt out of it. Would it be possible to code it so that they can only be read in order? (so people dont just get random excerpts - even though that might be quite cool, mystery, spurring people to find out more...)

Edited by pennifuin

Yay, now everyone gets to see me as the bad guy! Well, sorta... :medieval: I do hope this goes through. I would love to see this in-game, and it would give incentive for others to roleplay more as well ^_^

I for one, don't. Don't ask why, and if you know me, you should.

this reminds me - I was proofreading that at one point... wonder if/why not I didn't finish.

As for not topping, I don't think that should even be a goal - we may never have a similar experience, so why cheapen it with comparisons? But it was grand. :medieval:

I for one, don't. Don't ask why, and if you know me, you should.

i thought these forums were for structured discussion and criticism, just saying 'no' with no explantation didnt fall under these categories last time i checked, can you give us a reason please DS, jealous?

That was probably one of the most fun RP's I was a part of, I spell-checked and worked over the thread version with Ladywolf's help and placed it on EL.net because we loved the story so much. It would not be hard to place it in the game, we could actually post parts of the story along the storyline path. For example, in Myandar a good portion of posts were made, then in Bethel where we landed, Then the tavern in Idolran where the battle happened, then the mad chase south to Palon Vertas, Ladywolf and I down in the Icy Draegoni Lands, the battle in Palon Vertas with Kendai, then finally how we all got home...Pick any dock and that would work. :icon13: Im all for it.

I think Brom's idea is great. Only otherthing I could think of would be to take Penn's idea and kinda make it into a quest of sorts. Either way, I think it would be a shame not to add this into the game in some way. It's like letting history go unnoticed.

can we hear roja's view on this?

Penn, your enthusiasm is great but the more you push for it, the less it will appeal to the devs to put this on the top of their TODO list. Derin, who is head of storylines and quests, said he will think about what to do with it and that's as good as anything. Now just chill, let time take its course and we'll see what happens :ph34r:

Ok I started reading it, I think it would be fun to put in the game but:

1. it needs a lot of proofreading

2. names with numbers aren't allowed, so you'd have to rename kl4uz.(and any others i missed)

3. it needs to be consistent with the world it's in and with other stories. Such as death. And small things like a character wouldn't say "God.." but something like, "By the gods.." or a specific god's name.

Ok I started reading it, I think it would be fun to put in the game but:

1. it needs a lot of proofreading

2. names with numbers aren't allowed, so you'd have to rename kl4uz.(and any others i missed)

3. it needs to be consistent with the world it's in and with other stories. Such as death. And small things like a character wouldn't say "God.." but something like, "By the gods.." or a specific god's name.

Oh naturally. i would be quite happy to do such ammendments, and as long as players dont mind us Editing their names, with names like Kl4uz, i assume it would be Klauz? Is it worth us going through and making these changes then?

Yes I'd say go for it :) We can put them as books in the library and on the webpage.

Also, I didn't read all of it so i'm not sure how much this applys, but if someone only wrote like one or 2 posts there and really didn't finish their part of the story please edit those out.

The story needs to be more condensed and seriously shortened, plus the general adjustments Roja posted (names, consistency etc).

I suggest that the one editing this (Brom perhaps?) remove character backgrounds and "off-topic" things that aren't really relevant to the main story of the RP.

Edited by Derin