Eternal Lands Official Forums
Burn

The Fully Random Joker

Basically: Joker can appear randomly on any map, at any player-walkable location on the map.

This could mean anything from easily appearing right next to a well-used storage, to more difficultly inside one of the lesser-known secrets. If not found after a certain amount of time, he'll change places.

It would mean no more checking specific locations for him, and he'll possibly be found more often and by more players.

Joker's drops may need to be tweaked based on how often (or not) he's found with such a change.

I'm sure this was brought up before, likely years ago, but bringing it up now as circumstances are different...

This wasn't an option in 1.9.3 or earlier versions, as the maps had tons of areas marked as walkable that weren't actually accessible to players, or were in locations that could be accessed but shouldn't be (areas under mountain pieces and such). I fixed pretty much all of that in 1.9.4 maps, and with new scripts that I along with Learner have written, the future 1.9.5 maps will get rid of any such spots still existing (almost none, and any current ones are technically reachable). Plus Joker's movement on not being found after a certain time will ensure it doesn't get stuck in some missed unreachable location.

This can be easily done, btw. Learner has already provided code to EL for doing it on the server side (Joker works this way on his game). Joker would need to stay in place longer than it does there, since EL uses many more maps (all of C2) and may take longer to stumble on or hunt.

The biggest thing with this is that Joker will no longer just be found in the ? number of locations he is currently found at. Plus if maps are changed (a few will be drastically different next update) there's no concern that a Joker spot no longer exists, it just goes by whatever walkable tiles are on the current maps.

Noone (read: Acelon, who's quite busy IRL these days) would have to take the time to find and submit new locations for radu to have to take the time to add.

And the concept of Joker was to be able to randomly run into him. This would actually fulfill that concept better than a list of specific locations.

So it's pretty much a question of... would players prefer this over the current fixed-location Joker?

Edited by Burn

Very nice idea.

Some locations (though technically accessible) are very hard to reach or rather dangerous ("Room of Death" in Ida?).

To avoid Joker 'gets lost', might it be an idea to have him respawn if he isn't found after a certain time?

That time should be quite long (10 EL days or more) so there's still a reason to look for him if he hasn't been found in the last few hours.

And of course you've remembered to exclude guild maps from the maps accessible to Joker? (I know, you don't code his spawning ;) )

Sorry, didn't notice that bit.

Remains the part about that "certain amount of time": it should be rather too long than too short, to have some reason to actually hunt for him.

Oh, and please use a weighted algorithm if at all possible, where big maps have a better chance to 'get him' than small maps. Ideally the chance for joker to spawn on a given map should be proportional to the available surface on that map, so there's no benefit in waiting for him on the smaller maps, as happen(s/ed) with pear hunting.... ( e.g. whitestone could get a weight of 16, nordcarn of 1, Portland, 4, etc.)

In OL he moves automatically on the NewDay so people know what his schedule for relocating is, plus since he can announce what his prize is players know the deadline as well.

One things that is needed is Joker knowing certain maps NOT to be on ever. Like Instances since that can disrupt game play and remove accessibility.

Well yeah, I'd be happy to provide radu with a map number list for it to randomly choose from. ;-)

No guild maps, no "new char creation screen" map, no instance/invance maps (invance has a different map number though the same map as Isca), no not-actually-in-game maps (dream temple, neo, testermap, several others)...

I like the idea but I'd prefer he move on the new day rather than staying in place for days and days waiting for someone to grid-search every map until they spot him. He's supposed to be fun, not another type of grinding.

Actually, I think it would be even better to have him be fully mobile like Leonard is, but across both C1 and C2. It would be fun to see him wander buy and chase him down to trade. He can tele to a new map after each trade.

I like joker as he is with fixed joker spots, but moving him every (in game or real life) day is a good idea.

Also letting him send a blue message every now and then might hunting him more popular.

He can give, instead of the gift you get, some vague hints, where he is, like "it's cold here", "i see trees", "i see grass", "i can see water", "i see a building".

Why not telling the gift you get?

Who would run to find him, if you get only a fur cloak?

Okay, ppl who like to read their name in blue spam OFC...

Piper

I like joker as he is with fixed joker spots,

Why would you prefer this? The only reason that I can think of is that you know where those spots are. Truly random appearances of Joker levels the field for new and old players alike.

Why would you prefer this? The only reason that I can think of is that you know where those spots are. Truly random appearances of Joker levels the field for new and old players alike.

Random spots makes joker hunting impossible, because he can hide behind every tree and rock on (nearly) every map.

So all you must do, without any further hint of his location, is to run across the whole EL world, look behind every single bush, check every house or cave or secret place.

Think about how many time that would take, that would take days or even weeks and it would be quite frustrating, when someone else finds joker before you, after you searched him for days and weeks.

Or, you find him after searching for him for a week and all you get is a leather or a bread.

Not really entertaining IMO.

Piper

I agree with Piper. A full world grid search is not fun. That's why I suggested a wandering joker because he's more likely to be spotted by people.

Random spots makes joker hunting impossible, because he can hide behind every tree and rock on (nearly) every map.

So all you must do, without any further hint of his location, is to run across the whole EL world, look behind every single bush, check every house or cave or secret place.

So, as I said, you probably know the current locations. How is that challenging to find Joker?

Maxine knows all the joker locations and she has said in the past, she'd like him to be random. There is no challenge to it anymore.

Think about how many time that would take, that would take days or even weeks and it would be quite frustrating, when someone else finds joker before you, after you searched him for days and weeks.

Or, you find him after searching for him for a week and all you get is a leather or a bread.

Not really entertaining IMO.

Piper

Have you tried Joker hunting in OtherLife? The hints Joker gives certainly help narrow down the search. Worth checking out before you make your opinion certain.

What if:

Relocation takes much longer, but every game day he adds an additional item, to make it more attractive to search for him if not found for a few days? maybe on new days a server message saying how many items he has?

Oh, and on relocation he loses all except 1.

Edited by Ranculos

Currently Joker has approximately 125 spawns. Checking all spawns, including some remote and dangerous places, takes a whole EL day or more, depending on how single minded you search. Getting a leather or thread after 6 hours of work is frustrating and a penalty, not a reward.

With random spawns luck would play a much bigger role and anyone could find him -> levels the playing field, but EL has an enournous amount of real estate Joker can hide in.

I actually like hunting Joker in OL much better than in EL, it is a sport, but dont think it can be copied to EL. Let that way of Joker hunting stay special to OL :D

Since EL has much larger map surface, I think 6 hours might be too short for respawn, but making it much longer is going to make it very frustrating if not found.. Without hints or some other clues to Joker's whereabouts I think random locations in the current EL maps is too frustrating, The current rewards are too low to make purposefully hunting Joker a worthwhile activity.

A total refresh of the fixed Joker spots might be a better alternative, in combination with a loc change at new #day. As I offered before, I am willing to provide the spots, I only 'hunt' Joker these days to 'reset' him after a few days. The number of locations he is likely to be in is much more limited then ;) The Joker spots would need to get refreshed on a more regular basis, at least with every client change, but possibly more frequently.The last refresh is already 3.5 y ago, and those locations are getting stale.

My counter proposal:

- New locations (about 60, 20 C1 and 40 C2)

- Joker moves every 6 hours

- Locations are refreshed every 6 months or so

- The gift you get depends on how long Joker has been waiting for you, but still has a random element to it. First time found in a particular spot he gives a bonus (grape, EFE, Hadir pass or some other comparable item). This is announced as e.g. "Maxine found Joker and got a steel shield and a grape".

- Joker can give more different items, especially more middle tier ones (1k-10k value).

- The timer pauses as soon as a player comes in view of Joker, Joker has max perception. Joker announces when he sees someone (only once, not by name). Spawn sitting would become useless, since it would only 'reward' with fur items. When Joker changes location the timer resets.

I think with these changes Joker would be fun again.

Actually, I think it would be even better to have him be fully mobile like Leonard is, but across both C1 and C2. It would be fun to see him wander buy and chase him down to trade. He can tele to a new map after each trade.

I like this idea a lot.

I also think The Joker needs updating with his rewards.

But please do make him stop for a few seconds every now and then (or it will be a way to increase sales of speed hax and horse wistles :P)

But please do make him stop for a few seconds every now and then (or it will be a way to increase sales of speed hax and horse wistles :P)

I assume he'd move just like any other creature does (which includes random pauses).

I can imagine that people that worked for obtaining all the current joker spots can feel cheated by this idea. Why not make a female joker in addition to the current one that behaves like the suggestions above?

I really like how he works on OL not that hard to find and can be a lot of fun, I would say Take all the Items off joker and make him give you a Random item giver When his found(Could be changed some to maybe not give some Shop items?)