Eternal Lands Official Forums
saxum

Why no counters for failures on summoning?

I do not summon much but when I do I'd like to see counters of number of failures. Sometimes I can tell by counting number of parts before I summon but I often summon, let summons kill and re-summon so I can't.

Is there a programming reason why summon critical failures are not recording in statistics? It seems to me that I get a lot more failures than I should at my level but that may be perception not reality.

"Summoning failed, and ingredients lost..."

Is the "crit fail" message, so it's different than normal mixing. That is most likely the reason why... the counters are kinda hacked into the client, and any different messages have to be handled individually.

Whether it can be included is something Sir_Odie (or bluap) would have to look at. Using that message as a guide.

Picking this up a little late.... It could be added but there is no indication of what you were trying to summon. Would a general you critically failed to summon something be of and interest?

Removed / moved all animal nexus so not much of an issue for me now.

I think it would help some to have critically failed counters implemented - at minimum players could clear before/after summons.

Just a thought, and may take a bit more coding, but is there any way to do it based on what mix was sent to the server just before the fail message was sent back?

...Bah, just looked. The drop-down list in the mix window generally shows the mix name when you hover over it, but doesn't seem to do that for things like a rabbit summons (or even newer stuff like White Wizard Hat here, I may have outdated data). Was thinking that might be useful for this scenario, but maybe not.

It should still be possible, as the mix has to be sent to the server anyway. It might require another table to link summoning recipes to a name.

And I have no idea how fragile it would be (cf. kill counters, they can miss a kill without clear reason, even when there's no other character in sight).

Let's not forget that counters and such are handled purely on the client side, with no help from the server.

Fails from e.g. alchemy mixing are easy, as the server gives the name of the failed product for the player, and tells you when it is a crit fail. Already there you have to take into account that some recipes give more than one item...

Not so for summoning: (crit) fail is still easy to recognise, but the name of the creature you tried to summon is not in the message. Of course the client 'knows' what you tried to summon (it has sent the request), but you'll have to jump through a number of hoops to make sure everything stays in sync when you want to use that information (and no, it's not enough to just keep the last recipe sent in memory and use that, think 'lag').

The recipe window does record the creature name for a summoning recipe, recorded when one has been successfully "made". I cannot make Wizards hats but if the manufacture message is the same format as others, it should get recorded. Its a bug otherwise.

Anyhow, there are ways to make this request work but as revi said, they may not be that robust. I was happy to give it a try if there was sufficient interest.

The recipe window does record the creature name for a summoning recipe, recorded when one has been successfully "made". I cannot make Wizards hats but if the manufacture message is the same format as others, it should get recorded. Its a bug otherwise.

Hmmm, re: wizard hats, okay could be a possibility that I've only mixed them in the tailoring school (so not actually "made") since I first put the mix in the drop menu.