Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ben

Newbie Spawn Point/Improving the Newbie Experience

Four ideas to increase newbie retention from an experienced player and handler of newbies. Let me know what you think :)

1. I would like to suggest that the newbie spawn point be moved to the beam.

- This area has higher footfall, giving an impression of a busier game.

- The area looks far nicer than the dark corner of Isla Prima where newbies currently spawn, creating a more positive first impression.

- It's a nicer place to congregate, and may encourage experienced players to hang out around the campfire and help new players, as they used to in the old days.

- Bringing the newbie services (Tutorial NPC, Newbie Storage) closer to the beam will make learning how to play the game less frustrating.

2. Already mentioned. In conjunction with idea #1, the Tutorial NPC and Newbie Storage ought to be moved nearer to the beam.

- The Tutorial NPC would look nice at 103,146 (next to the book and scroll) facing the campfire.

- The Newbie Storage would perhaps be well placed around 96,152, given there's a pile of vegetables and a storage barrel there. If that makes things too crowded, perhaps he could be up nearer the house to the north or even in the vegetable garden next-door. Alternatively, being around 118,155 would give him a lot of space and is nice and scenic.

3. I also suggest that the Tutorial NPC be renamed to something more friendly ("Newbie Helper" to bring it in line with the storage NPC, perhaps? The current acronym name is too confusing and old-school.) and given a small selection of items to sell (minor healing pots, basic armours and weapons, etc) which may be of use to newbies. If you're feeling really generous, perhaps you could even have him buy the various loot/food items which can be found on the island too, because expecting newbies to figure out how to trade or find Reca in the tavern is maybe a little ambitious at first.

4. A "#beam" command should be created with the same function as "#beam me". It just makes it easier to explain and remember, which will be useful if we're giving the beam more prominence for new players.

Edited by benfish

I think these are reasonable and good ideas. Especially now, with the influx of new, android-based players.

I wonder whether we should consider re-doing all tutorials to accomodate them? What do you think guys?

I don't think this is a good idea. I watch newbies all the time, and they will generally wonder off. Right now, they can wonder off in 3 directions, and they can at the very least remember that it is by the edge of the water. If I move it at beam, then they can wonder off in 4 directions, will have no point of reference, and they can also get confused by people beaming.

This is why I don't let people idle near the tutorial npc, to not confuse newbies.

I don't think this is a good idea. I watch newbies all the time, and they will generally wonder off. Right now, they can wonder off in 3 directions, and they can at the very least remember that it is by the edge of the water. If I move it at beam, then they can wonder off in 4 directions, will have no point of reference, and they can also get confused by people beaming.

This is why I don't let people idle near the tutorial npc, to not confuse newbies.

This is very true, new players like to wander and explore. Wouldn't it therefore be better to allow them to explore a busier and nicer looking area where help is readily available? As for a reference point, what could serve that purpose better than a large campfire in a well-lit central area which can easily be accessed at any time with a simple command? :)

I understand the point you make about the regular spawning at the beam potentially being a point of confusion, although players and creatures popping out of nowhere (when logging in, teleporting, etc) is a relatively common aspect of most MMOs, including EL.

Edited by benfish