For quite some time, I've been working on extensive changes to the client to enable scaling of the user interface; handy if you have a high DPI screen and would like to be able to make fonts and UI features larger. Some of the changes were included into the Android client but all elements are now scalable. While there are not any additional features, some bugs have been fixed and some code tidied up. Some UI elements have been cleaned up too. At regular scale, you may not notice a lot of difference over a client build directly from the main source; all changes since the last release are include in these builds.
I've been doing these changes on a separate branch of the code but have now reached the point where I want to push these changes to the main branch so that they can be included in the next client release. As there has been a lot of code changes, we need to test things. I think it is stable and usable as your main client, you can run this client on the main server, so please help with the testing!
- If you are using windows, you use this version (it will have a .p1 tag in the version).
- If you are using Linux, you can use this 64 bit version, or this 32 bit version (these will have a g7abd tag).
- I built these on the same machines I built the last release client so they should work just as well.
- If you are using a Mac, you will have to build your own client as I do not have one.
- If you build your own client from source, make sure to switch to the ui_scaling branch.
- I'm building Ubuntu and Debian packages for the testing repositories currently. You will get these as normal when they are built.
- Make sure you save/rename your existing client and that you test the downloaded/build version.
- The scaling factor can be set from the "Fonts" tab of the options window.
- Most UI elements scale as you change the value, a couple of windows close when the scale is changed, the option window will be scaled after a restart.
- To scale chat/name/mark fonts, use the existing font size options.
- To scale the mini-map, use the existing option for the overall window size, the dots and title bar do now scale with the new scaling factor.
- Please report any issues to this thread:
- Do not report issues with overlapping windows/UI elements if you choose a scale too large for your setup. You can alter the scale up to 3x currently so you can easily make a mess!
- Do report any crashes you experience, unless you get them on the original client too, report those elsewhere.
- Do report any weird behaviour, things looking odd or things that could be tidier.
- Do report any UI elements that do not yet scale; I think I have done everything.
Thanks for your help!
Edited by bluap, 25 October 2017 - 08:46 PM.