Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
conavar

Palon Verta Cave- A warrior Battleground ?

Palon Verta Cave- A warrior Battleground ?

Summary

The story is told from the perspective/memory of The Watcher and tells the dark history of the Cave.

The Watcher

The last in a long line of people who have been charged over the years with watching the cave and maintaining its magic wards.The present watcher has been there years bonded to the cave and waiting for a new apprentice/watcher to hear the call and take his place.

The Cave history:

It was once a gold cave until the miners got to greedy and tried to use magic to mine the gold quicker. The magic caused rifts in space/time etc between planes/worlds and allowed creatures into the mines .The creature quickly over ran the mines and if it wasnt for the fact that the creature where from many diff worlds and fought amongst themselve then Palon vertas would have been over ran.That little time gave the people chance to call upon warriors to defend the caves while crypts were built over the mine shafts.The crypts were magically sealed and a loan mage was entrusted to stay and watch over the wards.

notes: very short summary.

ideas i might use : . the mage is bonded to the cave giving his life essence to the wards.

What would happen if he wasnt replaced ? would the wards fail ? etc

From a storyline/game view I dont want to cause any dead ends.Ie: In the future the wards could fail if the Devs wanted to add maps in the crypts.

comments plz

This is an interesting story. Some questions come up that need answering however before you can proceed:

1. What kind of magic did they use to try and mine the gold quicker that it caused those rifts in space/time? It must have been something really powerful..why and how did that happen?

2. Why would they build crypts over the mine shafts? Wouldn't they just try to seal them? Blockade them with boulders or use magic to cause the wall to crumble so you can't get in the mine?

3. What kind of creatures are these?

This is an interesting story. Some questions come up that need answering however before you can proceed:

1. What kind of magic did they use to try and mine the gold quicker that it caused those rifts in space/time? It must have been something really powerful..why and how did that happen?

2. Why would they build crypts over the mine shafts? Wouldn't they just try to seal them? Blockade them with boulders or use magic to cause the wall to crumble so you can't get in the mine?

3. What kind of creatures are these?

1. A new unused spell (which is why it failed) using Earth essences and space,time and move sigils.

Earth essence to target the ore. space and move to transport it from mine face to Storage and time so it arrived the moment it left.

Why and how did it happen: Like all new spells the principle was right but instead of desired effects.The earth targeted was moved through space, but the space left by the ore was moved through time and not the ore itself.Hence coursing rifts .

2. Yes would have been easier to collapse the shafts but then anyone left fighting inside would have been stranded ( which many still were ) .Having a pyhsical door way to close at least gave people a fighting chance before they were sealed

3. Creatures were going to be two fold, one set just monsters,some with petrifiyng gaze ( like medusa,basilisk has) to give an answer for the various statues in combat poses.The others were going to be a humanoid race ( a vampiric race but without the euro accents and bloodsucking ).

I did want to go down another route for the graves in the caves are huge , much to big for one man. But instead of trying to opt for A giant disapeared race ive gone for mass graves.

Edit: Maybe ive got a weird style of written. where as I know the general story,the start and the end.The middle bit normal takes on a life of its own as it is being written and changes

Edited by conavar

ok differant idea :P ( which i think is better)

Watcher: same as above

Cave:

a stranger arrives in Palon Vertas, upon seeking out the mayor he claims to be an emmisary from a differant world.Offering to make the mayor rich beyond his wildest dreams and show him the secret of immortality.

The mayor obviously overwhelmed with the prostpect asks how this is possible.The stranger explains that his people have mastered magics that can open rifts to other worlds, rich in resources gold, gems etc. and while only one person can move between worlds with the spell he employed to come here, it is possible to build portals that will create a pernament gateway between this and the resource rich worlds, and with the mayors and his peoples help they can build these doorways.

To prove to the mayor his promises are true the stranger produces a handful of gems rubys,emeralds, and gems never seen before by the mayor.

The mayor greed in his eyes agrees and asks where to build these portals.The stranger suggests that it is best to build them away from the prying eyes of the mayors rivals so they do not rest control of them from the mayor and thus the riches.

" Mayhap a cavern deep underground or a cave, somewhere away from prying eyes,the light and loose tongues". says the stranger

With a look of greed in his eyes " I know just the place " smiles the mayor

notes:

A brief summary of the opening gambit as you will, and obviously not everything is as it seems.

Is the stranger really beneficial ?

Has he a hidden agenda ?

What is this secret of immortality he mentioned ?

all have answers and if you need I can place them here or pm if you would like the stories to have a bit of suspense for the reader .

SUMMARY:

The figure stood outside the tavern, the hood of its cloak pulled tightly about its face, for though winter had all but ended the nights still held a chill.

The sign above the tavern door slowly rocked in the cold winter’s breeze, back and forth the half Raven swung. The figure nodded to itself “This place will do for the night.” Pushing open the door the figure stepped inside.

The tavern was warm and light, the smoke from the blazing fire hung lazily in the air giving the room a hazy other world appearance. Customers sat around in groups or alone, sharing jokes or just the taverns warmth; while a middle aged man rushed back and forth behind the old oak bar offering his service and a smile.

Pushing back her hood, her red hair ablaze in the firelight Roja walked towards the bar. On seeing her approach the innkeeper smiled warmly “Hello milady, what can I be getting you”

A mulled wine and a warm room for the night if you have one” answered Roja

Aye I can do you both “ replied Termopan “ Two gold for the wine and Ten for the room, the room will take a while to ready, don’t get many visitors this time of year”

Roja removed twelve gold coins from a pouch at her waist, there touch still cold from the winter’s air, making her glad she had sought the warmth of a tavern. She held the coins out for Termopan to take.” I can understand its not the best time for guests” said Roja “I hadn’t planned to stay myself. I was heading over to Palon Vertas but the night and weather closed in faster than I expected”.

Removing the coins from Roja’s hand Termopan placed them into his own pocket and smiled at her “Aye the weather does that. Its mother nature you see, she’s a woman and they a fickle bunch at best”. He looked at Roja a playable glint in his eye “Present Company not counted of course”.

Of course” replied Roja smiling to herself, caught up in the innkeepers friendly charm.

Termopan took a wooden cup from under the bar and walked to where a large iron pot simmered upon a stove. Taking a ladle that hung by its side he stirred the warming wine, and then slowly poured it into the cup. Returning to where Roja stood he placed the cup before her on the bar.

Try that milady, the best for miles around, and spicy and warm enough to warm the bal……. toes off a yeti” he chuckled.

Raising the cup to her lips Roja’s senses were overcome with the spiced wine, her nose tingled at the smell of rose petals and her tongue was soothed by a myriad of tastes before the wine found her throat and warmed her stomach.

Are you going to Palon Vertas for the festival milady?” asked Termopan with his ever present smile.

Festival?” questioned Roja as she looked at the innkeeper with a quizzical eye.

Aye milady. The week long Festival of the Soul flame, it’s held once a year” answered Termopan.

Roja sat down the cup upon the worn wooden bar, the wine and her tiredness finally getting to her “I have never heard of this Soul flame Festival, so no that wasn’t my reason for visiting Palon Vertas, but please maybe you could tell me more” said Roja

Termopan nodded “I know very little about it myself milady. If you would like to take a seat by the fire, I will tell you what I know when I am less busy”.

Thankyou “said Roja as she turned from the bar and made her way to the only empty chair close to the fire. As she sat down the warmth from the golden flames started to ease her aching bones, driving away what remained of the winters chill. Casting her eyes towards the fire Roja watched as sparks danced like lovers entwined.

The hand felt rough upon her shoulder “Excuse me milady” apologized Termopan “You must have fallen asleep. Your room is ready if you so wish or I have got a moment to tell you about the festival.”

Yes please sit, tell me what you know “answered Roja. Termopan dragged a now empty chair from a bench close to the fire and sat down, looking at Roja straight in the eyes.” What I know is small, mostly tavern talk and rumors, so make what truth of it you will”.

Many years ago a Carnival came to Palon Vertas, its bright colored caravans and exotic animals enthralled the children, and many spent hours looking in awe upon them.

But at night while the town slept strange things were happening. The towns folk would wake to find graves dug up and empty.

The Carnival came under suspicion and was searched by the local Watch but no sign of any corpses could be found, but the bodies kept disappearing” Termopan sat back and breathed deeply.

So the town hired a group of adventures, sell swords if you will to investigate. They arrived full of bravado and set about there task with glee.

They kept watch upon the Carnival and one night spotted its cloaked workers digging up the graves near the southern church.

The adventures challenged the figures and a fight erupted, it was bloody and the church was burned down in the conflict but the adventures won the day, but of the Carnival Master there was no sign.

They searched high and low for him but to no avail, until the Mayor with a worried look upon his face told them of another burial ground The Ancient Crypts, the adventures set off with all haste but arrived to late.

As they entered the cave they found a sight shocking to behold. The Carnival Master surrounded by newly raised undead stood against them.

A terrible battle followed and many of the adventures were killed, finally when all but a few of his minions had fallen the Master summoned great magic’s and disappeared, never to be seen or heard from again.

The town’s folk honored the dead adventures by burying them within the cave to forever watch over the crypt, and the Mayor used all his vast wealth to pay for mages to create the Soul flame.

The soul flame even now still burns in the cave, surrounded by four elemental statues which power it, air, earth, fire and water. Legend has it as long as the Soul flame burns no undead can rise in Palon Vertas again” Termopan shrugged “But if it should go out who knows”.

Termopan stood slowly “So every year the folks over the mountain in Palon Vertas have a festival to celebrate the peace the Soul flame has brought them and that is all I know milady. If you would like to know more I can seek out Jared for you, he is a Vertanian and could surely tell you the entire story.”

Notes: did the summary this way to make it more interesting and to get an idea myself what way to take the story.. And I totaly detest doing dialogue so any help will get loads of hugs thanx :o

Edited by conavar

lol, well i'm flattered you want to use Roja as a character, but I don't want my character written in any stories. Generally it's a good idea not to use real players in these stories..so just replace "roja" with some made up name ;)

Otherwise it's pretty good so far!

Another thing to note, don't put italics for the dialogues, just make the writing as you'd find it in a real book, using all the same rules.

There's a few grammar/sentence errors i noticed, but i won't pick them out right now..they're not much to worry over.

Keep going :hiya:

lol, well i'm flattered you want to use Roja as a character, but I don't want my character written in any stories. Generally it's a good idea not to use real players in these stories..so just replace "roja" with some made up name ;)

Otherwise it's pretty good so far!

Another thing to note, don't put italics for the dialogues, just make the writing as you'd find it in a real book, using all the same rules.

There's a few grammar/sentence errors i noticed, but i won't pick them out right now..they're not much to worry over.

Keep going :hiya:

Sorry if you misunderstood what i was doing. It was my way of making the summary more interesting to read and wouldnt dream of using youself in the proper story(as this is not part of the story,yet lol), it was only ment to inform you with what i hope you needed to know about the story concept and good point about italics ( my way of making something i Hate a little better )

grammar etc yes just quickly ran it through a spell checker to get it ready and proberly is a few mistakes

Edited by conavar

Well i think it's best to use the actual characters you're going to use. With what you have written so far, it is a rough draft, and not really a summary(which was what you have in your 1st post).

Just an FYI. You got the idea of why the statues were placed there (to represent the elements). Maybe they were there to represent the four grandmasters?

Also..the thing in the middle is a sword. Half dark, half light. And also particles coming out of it. I don't know if that will mess it up or not ;)