Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
conavar

Titans

This is just an idea that has been going round in my head so any feed back both positive and negative is welcome :D

My idea is to have certain unique powerful monsters that could bring an extra depth to EL and to make the players feel that there actions or inaction has an effect on the world.

Certain high level unique monsters ie: vampire,ghost,gorgon,werewolf,mummy and medusa (call them titans from this point on) could be introduced that have an effect on the world as a whole.

lets take the vampire for example.

A vampire lord is placed in a castle on C2 (which he is unable to leave).Every week he is left alone he spawns a major vampire to the map on which the castle is situated.If he is left to spawn vampires at will when they reach a certain lever per map(lets say 30) then the nxt spawn is to an adjacent map and the process starts again as the vampires (or other titans) slowly spread across EL.

Now lets say the vampire lord is attacked and kills his opponent then a major vamp is spawned for each character killed and if a major vamp kills a character then a minor vamp is spawned:

example a/d

Vampire lord : a/d as giant but twice the material points

Major Vamp: a/d and material as ogre

Minor Vamp: a/d and mat as armed orc

not sure about the a/d's so any suggestions ?

I say unique monsters in the sence that there is only ever one on EL at a time and if killed then dont re-spawn for a few months and then its a random Titan. ie: mummy is killed 3 months later a medusa arrives somewhere on EL.

This would give great quest ideas. .... Kill the Werewolf before it infects the whole map.

each titan could also have its own unique drop bag:

Vampire : Cloak of Mist = makes the player harder to hit.

Mummy : Medalion of poison = percentage that each hit causes poison to the victim

etc etc ..

Levels:

Minor is weaker than major isn't it? :D

Armed Orc is stronger than ogre so at least switch those.

I'm not really into vampires and stuff, the idea of titans is not bad, but I wouldn't take so many different kinds.

I don't like anything about more special drops for the strongest fighters to obtain. But that's just me...

Idea in general could be used with some modifications. Not bad

oopps yeah thats my bad . not up to speed on a/d of monsters :D

im not sayin the idea is perfect which is why i posted it for other players to have there say and input

oopps yeah thats my bad . not up to speed on a/d of monsters :D

im not sayin the idea is perfect which is why i posted it for other players to have there say and input

Maybe you should spend a little more time in-game learning the mechanics of EL before making not-so-thought-through suggestions.

well derin for a moderator you pretty narrow minded ; the post is not about in game mechanics its a suggestion for enhancing the game but pick away . and yeah been playin EL for over a year but we cant all be perfect all the time can we :D or are you. if you want to pick holes in the suggestion that was posted then fine but not the game mechanics because at the end of the day they are down to the programmers not us :blush:

not the game mechanics because at the end of the day they are down to the programmers not us :D
really? derin could have a bit of a say in that, considering what he knows and has done. plus, he's right (footnote). you should understand how EL currently works before suggesting large changes

footnote: some suggestions are better coming from newbies than oldbies, but these are more like interface and usage ideas, the oldbies are used to how it is, while newbies are more likely to see it critically. but for anything complex or advanced, you should understand how it works before trying to change it

if you want to pick holes in the suggestion that was posted then fine but not the game mechanics because at the end of the day they are down to the programmers not us :blink:

Some things can't be changed, some things aren't wanted to be changed, and some things have been suggested before and you can see the results and why they aren't ingame if you search :blush:

Note on suggestion: wait 3 months?! :D

lmao nothin on my post has commented on how EL works and how to change the fundemental basics of the game.IT WAS A SUGGESTION FOR NEW MONSTERS and bar a little discrepantcy in my a/d calculations thats all it was was a suggestion.instead of rabbittin on about mistakes in game mechanics maybe the OLDIES should put them right like cyprom did. and yes i agree some of the best ideas come from newbies because they at least dont think themselve no it alls and always right they are unblinkered in there judgement .

anyway not goin to turn this into a oldie vs newbie pro's and con's arguement everyone is entitled to there opinion :D

conavar I think the reason people keep stating game mechanics is because there are many things that need to be added, that aren't already in... I know nothing technical about EL so can't really say what... also it seems similar things have been suggested before...

anyway I think it's a cool idea, but I 'somehow' think this won't be implemented (at least not for a long while...)

Hm, nice idea, but i think programers dont have a lot of free time. U said titans would be respawning after few months after being killed , so i doubt developers wanna create something that will be seen only every few months. I bet they have more than enough work already. Im just a player, so i could be wrong :icon13:

eMPi

I thought the "Fluffy Bunny" was supposed to be the game's Titan...

If a "Sweaty Bunny"needs to be created ... all for it ... just wanting a HHG to kill the bastich off.

Edited by Ikaris

All fare and valid points :icon13:

if technacally an idea like this is unable to be implemented then fine ,at the end of the day it was just an idea.

I never really intended the Titans to be in the fluffy bunny mold ,there were more for along the lines of for roleplaying and quests and to give the players a feeling that there actions make an impact on the EL world

Thanx for the comments : constructive like they should be :)

I thought the "Fluffy Bunny" was supposed to be the game's Titan...

Yeah...except things kept getting added and it never got levels adjusted again. I'll bring that up again, thanks for reminding me :)

I don't think that this is too bad of a suggestion, although not immediately implementable it would not be impossible (desirable is another matter). It may be viewed more a variant on invasions than a new monster, which would make the long respawn period appropriate.

What we have here are examples of Boss Monsters. Now, while these are common in some games (Doom etc), they pose a problem in open-ended RPGs, where abilities are much more varied; one character's boss monster is another's training fodder.

The ArchLich spawns, intent on terrorising the world, only to find a queue of über fighers waiting their turn...

Boss monsters may still be used in MMORPGs though, when combined with instance map quests; which unfortunately are not (yet) in EL.

Vampires and Werewolves are interesting as examples of "contagious monsters"; that is they turn their victims into their kind. Both are popular requests as player races, though I suspect this is due to limited experience of them in literature; they may not be terribly fun to play for long...

Contagions are an interesting feature in MMORPGs (etc) -- remember the unexpected WoW plague recently? From a modelling/simulation viewpoint, that was utterly brilliant; a simulated world should be able to surprise even its creators.

Vampires and werewolves could spawn kin as summoned creatures, however it may be more interesting to have their victims "trapped" as monsters until they are killed a second time. After all, if you are turned into an undead (vampire), you cannot reach the underworld to be resurrected. When in this state a players actions would be limited (even being reduced to a spectator to their characters rampage). Of course, their "monster" attributes would be based on those of the character.

It would be necessary to guard against too many characters being turned at any time. Otherwise things could just get silly as the last character in the game gets pounced on by a horde of vampires and werewolves.

Unique monsters would be expensive if they had their own 3D model; these are costly to make. Some ground would be covered by making spawns more flexible, using named spawns, varying monster characteristics, and using the existing size scaling.

For human-looking monsters, using the enhanced actor avatars (character models) with a greater range of clothing/faces/skins would cut costs and increase variety. They must remain recognisably different from player characters... or do they?

"Excuse me sir, I'm lost, can you show me the way out?... what! no stop! arrghhhh!"

Vampires and werewolves could spawn kin as summoned creatures, however it may be more interesting to have their victims "trapped" as monsters until they are killed a second time. After all, if you are turned into an undead (vampire), you cannot reach the underworld to be resurrected. When in this state a players actions would be limited (even being reduced to a spectator to their characters rampage). Of course, their "monster" attributes would be based on those of the character.

;) Nice idea . only problem i can see is what happens if no one decides to kill you .are stuck watching your Vamp character wander about ?

it might work if a time limit was implemented = stay as an undead untill either a) killed or :P 3days have past

An rpg element could "kick in" after an elapsed time, say for instance one of the EL Gods steps in to eliminate the pestilence that threatens the whole of Draia etc etc etc.

let's make dragons

Yeah i did think of that but sure that idea has been posted before.. when ppl think of dragons they think of huge monsters .personally i would only make them the same on screen size as unicorns sort of mini me dragon lol :blink:

what happens if no one decides to kill you .are stuck watching your Vamp character wander about ?
Yes, this may be a problem.

There are any number of ways to resolved this, the time limit or divine intervention as suggested.

Staying "alive" as a vampire could be hard enough:

• You'd be PK-able of course, antisocial, and without access to storage?
  • Take damage outside in daylight (on a non-dungeon map during hours of 3:30...0:30).
  • Cannot eat normal food; must kill to live.

Some people may like the idea of being a vampire, in which case let them RP it. Would they be allowed to develop their character while in that state? Gain xp etc? Secret trips to the Wraith at night?

• Can only gain xp in Attack, Defense, Magic, Summoning?

Werewolves are somewhat different, since this only affects a few nights a month. Given the chaotic moon-cycle of Draia, this may be a random night, or during the moon sign you where turned under.

Becoming a werewolf; you would drop everything, with a risk of breakage, and turn (shapeshifting) into a large wolf (if no specific werewolf model exists). Rather inconvenient if you haven't prepared, especially if it may happen at a random time and night. Then you suffer:

• PK-able, antisocial, and no storage access.
  • Cannot pick up anything, cannot harvest or trade, cannot use items or magic.
  • No talk or hearing (all chat channels, including local, closed or obscured).
  • If you log off while a werewolf, the character stays active (as a beast) until they die or revert. In the same way that your character stays active if you log off during a combat.

How much control over your actions do you have as a werewolf? The beast is in control, so you must attack. Again, do we allow character developement while changed (xp)? No wraith visits of course.

• Can only gain xp in Attack, Defense?

Characters in the form of Vampire or werewolf would also get modifiers appropriate to their form (armour bonus, etc).

Edited by trollson

what happens if no one decides to kill you .are stuck watching your Vamp character wander about ?
Yes, this may be a problem.

There are any number of ways to resolved this, the time limit or divine intervention as suggested.

Staying "alive" as a vampire could be hard enough:

• You'd be PK-able of course, antisocial, and without access to storage?
  • Take damage outside in daylight (on a non-dungeon map during hours of 3:30...0:30).
  • Cannot eat normal food; must kill to live.

Some people may like the idea of being a vampire, in which case let them RP it. Would they be allowed to develop their character while in that state? Gain xp etc? Secret trips to the Wraith at night?

• Can only gain xp in Attack, Defense, Magic, Summoning?

Werewolves are somewhat different, since this only affects a few nights a month. Given the chaotic moon-cycle of Draia, this may be a random night, or during the moon sign you where turned under.

<CLIPPED HERE>

uhhh.....simple solution. Make it eat only raw meat.

MMMMMMM.....bloody rare steak. lol :P

On another note, perhaps the Titans could help with another issue the game needs to address (imho)...The need for enchanted blades. Phantom warriors now are almost impossible to kill without using magic or a sword of magic (magic damage). There are no monsters that I know of that require heat/cold damage to kill though. That would rock. Zombies for example are easily damaged by fire. I don't think werewolves care for fire any either. The prices of the rarest of the rare blades, the enchanted blades, are only kept up by the rarity of the modable blade that gets turned into it. New swords have passed them in other reguards. With enchanted blades being more useful, maybe their prices would go back up a bit. Please bring in some monsters that are affected by heat/cold and save that little piece of the economy. :D

Quite an interesting idea. Saw an invasion warning ingame, and had a thought that a lack of role-playing element was missing from invasions, so did a quick search in the suggestions section.

World bosses are pretty common in other RPG's e.g. the Lich King and Deathwing in WoW.

We have two opposing god's in EL, Aluwen and Mortos. What if they each God had minions that had a roleplaying influence on invasions. For example, Mortos could have a minion that took on the persona of a Summoner (with some unique name), that could spawn monsters or even convert monsters on the map. And Aluwen could have a minion that healed characters fighting an invasion, or a champion that players would have to protect from Mortos's invasion critters.

Incentives/rewards for invasion participation could be say special days blessed by Aluwen for success or bad days cursed by Mortos for failure.

In other words, instead of simply clearing maps of invasion critters, create world bosses under the influence of Mortos/Aluwen with unique personas that influence invasions somehow.

Anyways, just my two cents.

Edited by Sonny