Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

Debian/Ubuntu packages from latest CVS

Just thought i'd mention that i'm now running the Ubuntu Jaunty EL packages from bluap's PPA on my Debian Testing system. They work straight up, I don't have to compile them from source.

Using Jaunty packages from Ubuntu PPA's on my Debain Testing installation is almost becoming a common practice for me, lol.

The PPA's are an awesome source for bleeding edge software in .deb package form.

(I now have 15 Ubuntu Jaunty packages installed from PPA's... no major system stuff, just some apps and libraries i wanted the very latest versions of... they all work fine :) ...i <3 my Squeeze-Sid-Jaunty bastard OS xD)

Was the CVS package discontinued?

I was waiting for it to update for trying out the new client, but if it won't, I'll just try to compile it again :icon13:

Was the CVS package discontinued?

I was waiting for it to update for trying out the new client, but if it won't, I'll just try to compile it again :)

Hopefully I'll release a RC package this weekend.

OK, release candidate packages for Ubuntu are now available from my PPA. If you want to install from scratch, then follow the standard instructions located here. Once you are set up, or if you already have the cvs or standard packages installed you can just install the new -rc packages. The name of the package is "eternallands-rc". The rc-data package gets installed automatically and the standard and -cvs packages will be removed automatically.

Better late than never I have just produced some client builds for Linux based on the latest version from CVS.

If you are using the Ubuntu packages, you should find (after your next package list update) a new package available called eternallands-cvs. This is installed along side the standard package and run from a new icon with the (-cvs) tag.

I have also produced a couple of static binaries from latest CVS. There is a 64 bit binary here and a 32 bit binary here. These are built using the same build environment as the 1.9.0 release versions so if those work for you, so should these. Of course, once downloaded you will need to modify the file properties to make the file executable.

I hope these are useful, please report any bugs you may find making it clear that you are using one of these versions. If you have problems specifically with the -cvs package then let me know here.

1.9.1 packages are now available for Ubuntu (all supported versions on both 32 and 64 bit) and Debian (but only 32-bit for Debian currently).

Unless you are using the eternallands-rc packages, the updates should be available next time you do an update with your package manager. If you are using a recent version of Ubuntu, you may have to force a check for new packages otherwise you won't get the update until your next, automatic weekly check.

If you previously installed the eternallands-cvs package, this will be removed by your package manager which may talk about doing a partial update, the partial update is fine.

If you previously installed the eternallands-rc package then you will not be offered the new packages automatically. You need to remove the eternallands-rc package (which will remove all the other eternallands packages) and then install the eternallands package (and optionally the eternallands-music package).

If you have never used these package before but would like to, follow the instructions here.

Edited by bluap

Thanks Bluap. My Ubuntu box updated fine tonight when I turned it on. I don't know if this matters, but the update did NOT overwrite the custom maps I had installed.`I would have thought it would have (forcing me to copy them in again).

Thanx bluap. Install worked like a charm.

@bkc: did you have your maps in an updates map?

@bkc: did you have your maps in an updates map?

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. I originally installed EL on my Linux box then added the custom maps on top of the installation. It's not a problem, but I would have expected this update to overwrite the map files with the standard ones again. It makes me wonder if any other files did not get updated...

This sort of thing is why using

~/.elc/updates/X_X_X/maps/

is better :fire:

Possibly the package manager saw the checksum of those files doesn't match the ones for the files from the previous version of the package that it's about to update, and gets mad.

This sort of thing is why using

~/.elc/updates/X_X_X/maps/

is better :fire:

Is that a suggestion for the installation package, or for users who want to over-ride the map data?

Users who want to override map data.

Place the third party maps in ~/.elc/updates/1_9_1/maps/

Create the directory structure if it doesn't exist.

Edited by Korrode

1.9.1 packages are now available for Ubuntu (all supported versions on both 32 and 64 bit) and Debian (but only 32-bit for Debian currently).

Unless you are using the eternallands-rc packages, the updates should be available next time you do an update with your package manager. If you are using a recent version of Ubuntu, you may have to force a check for new packages otherwise you won't get the update until your next, automatic weekly check.

If you previously installed the eternallands-cvs package, this will be removed by your package manager which may talk about doing a partial update, the partial update is fine.

If you previously installed the eternallands-rc package then you will not be offered the new packages automatically. You need to remove the eternallands-rc package (which will remove all the other eternallands packages) and then install the eternallands package (and optionally the eternallands-music package).

If you have never used these package before but would like to, follow the instructions here.

When you have the eternalland-rc package already installed and eternallands-sound package aswell, you have to remove the eternallands-sound package first. This is because it requires the eternallands package which you are removing.

So:

sudo apt-get remove eternallands-sound

sudo apt-get remove eternallands-rc

sudo apt-get install eternallands

Edited by DonC

Thanks Bluap. My Ubuntu box updated fine tonight when I turned it on. I don't know if this matters, but the update did NOT overwrite the custom maps I had installed.`I would have thought it would have (forcing me to copy them in again).

The first stage of a package update or reinstall is to remove all the files it installed (it keeps a list). The second stage is to unpack all the new files and place them in the target directory tree. Any existing file with the same name as a new one will be overwritten. If you have old files left then I would expect they are not present in the new or old data packs. So I'd expect you would still have custom maps that are not provided with the official client but any official maps should have been replaced. Like Korrode and others have suggested, putting your custom maps in ~/.elc/updates/X_X_X/maps/ is a much better idea so long as you only put tab maps in there....

If you are in any doubt, then reinstall the update in two stages. 1) remove the packages completely with "apt-get remove eternallands". For a standard install, this should remove the data directory /usr/share/games/EternalLands completely. If you have files left in there then check what they are and let me know if there are any official files left. 2) Reinstall the packages with "apt-get install eternallands" or "apt-get install eternallands eternallands-music" if you want the music too. The large zip files will not need to be downloaded again as they are cached in /var/cache/eternallands/ so this should not take very long at all.

When you have the eternalland-rc package already installed and eternallands-sound package aswell, you have to remove the eternallands-sound package first. This is because it requires the eternallands package which you are removing.

Weird, "apt-get remove" should have removed the sound package at the same time as the -rc package. :confused:

The first stage of a package update or reinstall is to remove all the files it installed (it keeps a list). The second stage is to unpack all the new files and place them in the target directory tree. Any existing file with the same name as a new one will be overwritten. If you have old files left then I would expect they are not present in the new or old data packs. So I'd expect you would still have custom maps that are not provided with the official client but any official maps should have been replaced. Like Korrode and others have suggested, putting your custom maps in ~/.elc/updates/X_X_X/maps/ is a much better idea so long as you only put tab maps in there....

If you are in any doubt, then reinstall the update in two stages. 1) remove the packages completely with "apt-get remove eternallands". For a standard install, this should remove the data directory /usr/share/games/EternalLands completely. If you have files left in there then check what they are and let me know if there are any official files left. 2) Reinstall the packages with "apt-get install eternallands" or "apt-get install eternallands eternallands-music" if you want the music too. The large zip files will not need to be downloaded again as they are cached in /var/cache/eternallands/ so this should not take very long at all.

Weird, "apt-get remove" should have removed the sound package at the same time as the -rc package. :confused:

When using apt-get remove eternallands-rc the dependencies of eternallands-sound were not met. That is why it wanted to install eternallands-rc again (so in a loop, fault had to do with autoconfigure (no screenie, sorry)). By removing the sound file first, it installed like a charm.

I've just produced the first eternallands-cvs package for the 1.9.1 series. This includes a potential bug fix for the common custom clothing crash.

I installed eternallands client from link,

but i can see only official client :(

is there any compiled CVS-client in repository, or i must compile it myself?

I installed eternallands client from link,

but i can see only official client :(

is there any compiled CVS-client in repository, or i must compile it myself?

There is a package called eternallands-cvs in the same repository. Either open a terminal and, for Ubuntu, use "sudo apt-get install eternallands-cvs" or for Debian "su -" to change to root then "apt-get install eternallands-cvs". Alternatively, you should be able to find the package the GUI package manager. This package will install a new icon in the "Applications->Games" menu labelled "Eternal Land (CVS)". The last build was from 20 Feb but it does not include the new textures feature as that would require new data too.