Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Raz

Client disconnect?

I believe that currently there is no way to disconnect a session - other than to close the window.

Now that we have a lot more alts - would this be a nice feature to have so that you can click a button to log a character out - rather than close the window and re-open each time?

The idea being that you have a character you want on briefly - you click the connect - conduct the transaction, then click the disconnect.

A further add-on to this would be to logoff one character and logon a different one (ie swap alts)

DISCUSS / flame

Good suggestion, i've also been thinking that would be useful.

Having to open two clients with different display options is annoying and sometimes i just need to log off(like when watching a movie).

PS: disabling and enabling your internet connection also does the trick:D

Just disconnection the client should be easy enough to implement (just stop sending the heartbeat, 30s you should be disconnected)

A capability to log out and get back to the login screen would be nice, but only for those who do not have their alt's logs etc. in different directories ('implemented' right now as 'virtual' servers, and the login screen does not allow you to switch server). And changing that part (so that different characters use different directories) might be a lot more work.

EDIT: I don't quite see the usefulness of just disconnecting a client. It will free up a bit of band width, but the client will continue to refresh the screen at the maximum fps, memory will not be freed, etc.

Edited by revi

Just disconnection the client should be easy enough to implement (just stop sending the heartbeat, 30s you should be disconnected)

Isn't that lagging out?

What message does the client send to server on #quit? I am guessing it logs you off and then drops the connection?

Maybe implement something that logs off the char, but keeps the connection alive so that it can bring you back to logon screen without reconnecting to server.

Interesting that some want to disconnect more for I want to disconnect less since I often disconnect just before hour change losing experience for that hour.

I frequently get game freezes due to modem/ISP issues. The game just hangs, sometimes after a grue disconnect/reconnect. After I reset the modem, my IP address changes, and I have to close the client and restart it. A "#reconnect" command (which would act as though a timeout occurred) would be handy, as well as a "#login {playername}" command to change players. The other thing that would be nice is if I lag out and don't want to reconnect, hitting ALT+X (or CTRL+Q or whatever) wouldn't try to reconnect before quitting the game. (Currently, if there are connection problems, it can hang the game while trying to reconnect.)

Edited by sgik