Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
caladina

Mobs that can range players

I'll probably be hated for this one, would it be possible to add a ranging mob to the game, ie. one that targets players via ranging.

As there are only two skunks on c1 it might be possible to add it to them via poison ranging. this would be in the form of a poison spray.

though it sounds like a small action for probably alot of work, imagine what that would do in an invasion in mass form

maybe it could be a feature of just red tops that poison

Another option is to add it to other mob/s capable of natural ranging, (by bipedals like orcs, trolls etc)

OK, so you want mobs that:

1- can range

2- have high perception so they see you before you see them

3- walk away when you try to attack them.

How long would the average player last when he's targeted by say 20 mobs (as they can range from serveral steps away: at 6 steps distance you have in theory ~30-40 positions from which to range)

1- can range

How long would the average player last when he's targeted by say 20 mobs (as they can range from serveral steps away: at 6 steps distance you have in theory ~30-40 positions from which to range)

Yes, a horde of invaded mobs ranging players would be great!

YES, yes, yes. I like this idea too!

Legionnaire_bowman (orc with a bow): Carries about 100 arrows. Has ER perk, so they last longer. Add in some dis rings so that if you do get close enough to attack it, it will dis back away and start ranging you :P

Edited by RipTide
add stuffs

1- can range

yep, invasion mods can use as few or as many as they want, i see them as something a bit different, they can be a good disruptive tool for the invasion mod, like the grizzers.

players would now have to carry quite bit of antidote taking up space in emu (if skunks are used with poison spray, orc bowmen would just do damage)

with the amount of poison you can get from a few of these buggers in a short space of time they could be responsable for more brick loss.

a suitable rare drop might be antidote or body resto pot

Might bring the rangers back to invasions as they probably like the challenge of taking out red top rangers

one thing this might also alter is the safety of the bethel rocks/caves, if rangers can hit mobs from there that must mean they can range you on the rocks too?

of course this depends how complicated it will be to implement ranging from mobs

if indeed there were three or four different types of mob that could range implemented, an all red top ranger invasion in bethel would be fascinating to see how players go about dealing with it, just storm in naked and take out as many as they can before they die or try ranging them down, maybe taking out the more dangerous skunks first

Edited by caladina

:hiya:

I like this too! A l-orc with a bow & ER etc - to my mind it would not only make things different (100 of them would be good-challenging-different, 1,000 of them maybe not so much...) but it would also bring rangers back into the invasions more as there would be a role only they could fill. Surely this would promote more team-work among players.

This may raise the question regarding archer-platforms again. Not an overly-discussed topic I know, but the walls in AA would be fantastic for rangers were they topped with walkable tiles - as they are in Melinis. Imagine an Invasion in Melinis with these critters in the mix - people on the ground fighting hand-to-hand while the walls held archers who were an integral part of the fight. They could well decide the success or failure of the players below! Imagine Melinis being invaded with the mobs capped at 1 for 10 mins or so, allowing the ranging orcs to fully mix with the others before letting the fight begin - it would be great!!!

Additionally, it would provide another reason for the use / market for point defence, which I know would make at least one player very happy indeed :w00t:

Finally, would it drop its diss rings / bow / unused arrows when it is killed? Maybe just the diss rings as feros don't drop their spears? I'm not sure if it could, would or even should - but I do like the idea of a ranging lorc a lot!

:medieval:

Mobs with different/better AI has been suggested before.

Mobs that can range mobs that can use spells mobs that use actual tactics to attack and not just amble about are all great suggestions.

A Lorc armed with a bow and point defense, mobs takin on an offensive mage role and mobs following tactical plan would make imho EL a fun place to fight and mix up the currently stagnate combat invasions

Im all for it

If i understood hows mobs are done in EL, it would require a fair amount of work to do something like this, since it's not really set up for much variance (i believe most mobs are files based on certain mob models with things tweaked and changed in the coding of them, along a bit of a hardcoded way, which is a bit less flexible). However, i do think it would be an interesting thing to do, it would require thinking in terms of mobs ability, as well as line of sight being probably an issue for invaded range mobs (since the horde will make them limited in terms). Only somewhat helped by the instant reaction AI can have. It'd probably take quite a lot of thinking in terms of making them balanced to be an additional challenge without being annoying to fight.

IMO the bosses or guards spawned by bosses should only creatures with ranging capabilities and unlike most creatures it should attack the opponent doing the most damage when possible. The game already has player tanks who are designed to absorb, evade or heal damage so this would add another risk to those fighting bosses but not main target,