Eternal Lands Official Forums
vinoveritas

Pay or i harrass you illegal?

Well Our guild got this kinds of IG's again, useless to say we will not bow down to such demands ever but the question i would loved
to have answered is this against the rules or not.

id like to present a monthly payment package at which your all safe from multiple fourms of warfare betweem guild ceasefire treaty

It does not matter who said it i posted it with all the typos and so on that it got.

but for me such a threat means breaking that the person declares he wants to break at least 1 game rule.

Rule number 2. No Harassment.

Telling someone pay me every xxx protection fee or i make your life hell, is for me one of the most typical form of harassment.

So i would love to hear your peoples input. do you think thats harasment, or is it just fair gameplay, that will in the end drive the low players base even lower (i am suspecting that if the person/guild who wrote this did do that to several guilds, from the stats he can annoy alot of people as he is in the top 25 a/d player (and yes i could have made even a smallter top range where he/she/it is in).

I Say it is trying to harass, and to ransom people, its something that outside of the game would be a criminal act. and i think it should be bannable at least in the future.

Will love to hear from you people what you think.

Hi it seems like some kind of harassment to me, best is just to ignore the #ig for a while sine he is acting like a 10 yo boy, he will get bored like any other player (except if stivy, but I doubt stivy harass people), just don't get into his mind games.

He will lose more than there is too win in the end.

DK

I think more details are needed..

I Say it is trying to harass, and to ransom people, its something that outside of the game would be a criminal act.

Yeah, also BJing and PKing.

Entropy

This topic is different then bagjumping or pking, because you can only get pked if you go to a pk map, and you can only get bagjumped if you wear stuff and die out of whatever reason, Even stivy blocking the hydro route is different, as it is the players choice not to go somewhere.

Here is the topic when does the rule of No Harrassment start.

Does it start with the thread against a guild or one person demanding a pay or i will ruin your fun in game by delibaratly targeting your playstyle.

Or does it only start if the part of ruining of the other players playstyle gets out of the hand.

The quote was a teaser. but the topic is real, as i know a few players who in the past stopped playing the game as at somepoint someone was following them, And the one thing this game needs is more induvidial players, instead the small base + the new players that stop by and go fast

Especially if you consider your el shop, more new players, means more possible customers (even if only because they buy stuff other bought from you) and in the end more profit for you and more happy players, as this game main strength is the community.

Edited by vinoveritas

There were some variations in the past. Similar things happened.

I do not see any conflict or rule violations.

When some certain individuals can use the f word without consequences on a popular channel.

When some certain individuals can talk rubbish on certain language channels over years without consequences.

When some certain individuals can spy with their alts and reveal player locations on certain language channels without consequences. Or use these information's them self to their benefits.

EL had over certain period already some acceptance of certain language on different channels.

Hint: There is still the way of IG_Block and #ignore

I am quite certain these behaviour is highly accepted and wanted.

Quote: Especially if you consider your el shop, more new players, means more possible customers (even if only because they buy stuff other bought from you) and in the end more profit for you and more happy players, as this game main strength is the community.

It is hard to say these days how many unique players actively participate and play this game.
With certain changes in the past this game do not rely anymore on the widely player base. Interactions are not needed anymore. This is in opposite direction I have as a requirement of Massively Multiplayer Online Game. Perks are no restrictions anymore. Pickpoints in Mix nexus are not really a penalty anymore, because everyone can have several "shared" high level Mix characters.
When you do not rely on others anymore, there is no hard requirement for politeness or "well behaved" / more correct behaviour.
I think the argument about new paying players is a bit vague. Only a small amount of new players will spent money. Usually a tenth for android games. The fluctuations are quite high usually.
The behaviour of a few older players regarding language is not to the best interests in my opinion.
--
I also doubt that more rules will solve anything. The existing rules are already a time drain on the staff members

Wrt to the content of your post, all I can say is: the #abuse command exists for a reason... Just remember that this doesn't concern #IG or PM, those are considered private conversations where the mods don't interfere, and you can block #IG and PM (if the other party then uses means to get around those blocks, by all means do a #help_me or #abuse).

Even the official channels aren't watched 24/7, language channels are normally not watched at all, so it anythings happens there, the mods won't know about it => screenshot + #abuse is the best way (and perhaps refrain from saying in channel you did an #abuse...)

As to the form: could you please leave the text at its default size, smaller gets hard to read, esp. on smaller screens and in paler colours...

Edited by revi

Especially if you consider your el shop, more new players, means more possible customers (even if only because they buy stuff other bought from you) and in the end more profit for you and more happy players, as this game main strength is the community.

The fuck??

If he sends PMs like that, just ignore him. You can also ignore entire guilds.

YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS POST RADU. AND REVI.

I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM AND MY GUILD IS ABLE TO HANDLE IT TOO.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE HERE IS A DISKUSSION OF WHERE WOULD HARASSMENT IN THIS GAME START AND WHERE NOT.

BECAUSE YOU DO FUCKING SHIT ABOUT IT AND IT DID HURT YOUR SALES IN THE PAST.

Allright, no need to start shouting...

First off, my last post was a reply to SaxumRoman_gruber, nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to know where harassment starts, I'd say that's a discussion of game policy, to be discussed with (in this case) radu. I can't answer that question. I'm not even sure that it is a subject for public discussion...

The part about using #abuse stands, though: there were quite a few cases where we were told "X did this" long time after the facts (esp. invance and invasions). In such cases, we can't do anything (as we can't take just take someone's word for what happens, think about that for a bit). Had #abuse been used at the time X was doing his thing, action might have been possible.

So a large part of why "[we doing] fucking shit about it" lies with the players.

For the rest, I'll let radu deal with this.

Edited by revi

First off, my last post was a reply to Saxum, nothing more, nothing less.

I think you mean roman_gruber. I'll change his font size to normal, that is very irritating.

Rule number 2. No Harassment.

Telling someone pay me every xxx protection fee or i make your life hell, is for me one of the most typical form of harassment.

What did he do to harass you? Did he do anything or just say that to you? Did you use #ignore? Did you use #ig block? If so, then what happened? If not, why not? That's what it's there for. How did he make your life "hell"? My opinion is that just saying what he said is not harassment in and of itself. You have tools to ignore idiots that say irritating or unpleasant things.

Not really on this topic, but whatever happened to TOTAL WAR? is the annoying person guildless?

OR ask Ent to reinstate his evil 'making a person pkable on ANY map by ANYONE' which I believe he used as a punishment :D

Ent could charge a fee for this.

Edited by lyndy

This is possibly the most inane post I've ever read. It's not harassment. It was a joke which was isolated and not repeated at any intolerable rate.

Not really on this topic, but whatever happened to TOTAL WAR? is the annoying person guildless?

Disabled after one case too many of scamming. More precisely, the #enemy_combattant command got disabled, making it impossible for characters to join in total war (also, total war is only possible when both guilds agree: each must #set_enemy_guild for the other

OR ask Ent to reinstate his evil 'making a person pkable on ANY map by ANYONE' which I believe he used as a punishment :D

Ent could charge a fee for this.

Unfortunately, then we would have to deal with the players that want to be made pkable...

Edited by revi

This is possibly the most inane post I've ever read. It's not harassment. It was a joke which was isolated and not repeated at any intolerable rate.

"It was a joke"... That's a defense that's used way too often to excuse bad/unpleasant/aggressive behaviour.

In this case, someone threatened K&M guild, ("pay up,or else..."), they took it seriously.

Even if it was intended as a joke (which isn't clear at the moment, even it was RAGE guild sending that #IG), it misfired. So now you aggress your target again, implying they are at fault for not seeing it as a joke...

"It was a joke"... That's a defense that's used way too often to excuse bad/unpleasant/aggressive behaviour.

In this case, someone threatened K&M guild, ("pay up,or else..."), they took it seriously.

Even if it was intended as a joke (which isn't clear at the moment, even it was RAGE guild sending that #IG), it misfired. So now you aggress your target again, implying they are at fault for not seeing it as a joke...

get a life

I'd just like to post my support for Vino here. This sort of thing (joke or not) ruins the fun for everyone else who plays in accordance to the rules. You can argue over whether it's harrassment or not but i think we can all agree that this was a threatening message to K&M. We can deal with it as a guild but Vino's post was about shining a light on the issue which in my opinion - has been getting worse as the years have gone on. Thank you to Revi for your post to D34dly, as that's basically all that Vino was trying to achieve with this thread and to clarify whether it is against the rules or not.

Anyway, topic over. Please i can give a gentle reminder to some people though that we are not trying to tell you how to run EL - but asking questions and giving suggestions because we love the game and want to improve it for the majority of the community who are good and honourable players. :)

lol.. markusweck used to IG those kinds of messages way back when, it's nothing new, and quite frankly, Vino, you're slightly overreacting. In EL, if you apply the minimum level of common sense, what the hell can anyone do to you? Serp your ogre toe spawn? Worst case scenario, someone messes with some not so easy to fight invasion mob. You have plenty of ways to make easy money to replace that rosto.

Also, there've been plenty of cases in the past which I would have called actual harassment, things which had consequences for people's actual RL, which weren't deemed to be harassment. This does not qualify in that category if you ask me.

How can someone make your life hell in EL aka "massively multiplayer single player game" lol?

How can someone make your life hell in EL aka "massively multiplayer single player game" lol?

My point exactly. Thank you, my Turkish sage. It was an offer of protection with no action whatsoever, but even had there been action, e.g. serping, etc. that is all legal and has been so for the entire history of the game.

Edited by D34DLY