Eternal Lands Official Forums
Guest Miguel

low frame rate

Guest Miguel

Hi! I need someone to help me improve my fps...in some maps drops to 3 fps...very low...my machine is opensuse 64 bits, Pdual core TM 2.666 graphics GF 6200 LT, net is 12M.

I have adjust all settings to low but still the same.

Thanks

Something I know is that the "update function" takes a large amount of CPU time (when you don't have multiple cores) .

#update_status

Goto Category Server and empty the box : Automatic updates.

You can also decrease the Maximum View Distance in Category - Camera. So much for the start.

Solar, could you be a bit more specific about what program and part of it you use to get rid of 'automatic updates'?

I guess you are talking about the configuration options in the EL client, but that is just a guess.

And yes, under OpenSuse with an NVIDIA card, you need to use the proprietary drivers, but they can easily be installed through YAST;

have a look at this page.

Miguel, this may have many causes, so please clarify:

1. Does low fps happen only when it rains in game or your character is among many trees? Trees and rain contain lots of 3d data, so the card might be overloaded.

2. Do you get decent fps in other graphics-intensive games like Warsow or Nexuiz? If no, your system is too slow.

3. Have you installed the proprietary nVidia drivers instead of nouveau? Check this by typing in terminal 'dpkg -l nvidia-current' (note: this works only for Debian, Ubuntu, and Mint). If there is 'ii' in the beginning of the line, the driver is installed.

4. Do you have a dual video card, eg. nVidia Optimus? If so, EL may be using Intel card instead of your GeForce. To check this, type in terminal 'lsmod | grep nvidia'. If 'nvidia' is not listed, try forcing nVidia use with optirun.

Hope it helps.

Guest Laban

Hi!

I have same problems. With rain and/pr trees the fps is 0-3, but average is 15-20 and very rare it is 35-40. In most cases it's not a problem (harvesting, manufacturing etc), but it's hard to hunt in the lowest rates. I discovered thou that the FPS goes up in the lowest FP areas, if I let the camera have a bird perspective (looking down and see the char from above), and toghether with the mini screen, it's possible to catch even skunks in WS a rainy day. This is a tip, that works well for me. I have a main quest to all of you who run this eminent game without problems: what graphic cards do you use? I must buy a new card (used or a cheap one) that can handle EL. My OS is the latest Ubuntu 12.04

Don't know the lowest possible card to get, but Nvidia "GTX 560 Ti" is an outgoing model that works fine with Linux using the proprietary driver, and ran at 60FPS for me no matter what map or situation... with full detailed settings (all eye candy on, fog, shadows, water reflection, etc.)

Because it's an outgoing model, you should be able to find one used fairly cheap, from people who have upgraded to a newer/better card.

Guest Laban

Thank you Spider, now I know what to look for. Looking forward to one day play EL with full ensamble.

You can also lower the over fps to 30.... that is really all that is needed for EL... does help quite a bit..

Can be reduced to 25 if necessary..

I use on my small 11.5 laptop with PClinuxOS.. AMD 1.6 mhz dual core..turn off all shadows, poor man setting.. 25 fps..

Is very playable...

Edited by Deckara

Guest itzman

Been testing with entry level G210 Nvidia

Some tests:

worst case with intel onboard 4FPS. Worst case with tuned up 210 = 19FPS.

Things that help:

1/. Use nvidia drivers (331) not Nouveau - 2-3 times faster. Trade off is suspend resume sometimes doesn't work.

2/. Use nvidia settings to NOT sync updates with Vsync. Pretty ridiculous on LCD.

3/. You can play with quality-performance on settings too, but performance just made things jerky, so left it back in the middle

4/. Biggest single CPU sapping FX is shadows. You can play a bit with shadow map sizes but really it only helps a little.

Performance is good enough at my playing window size. Not as good 500/600 series cards, but good enough for fun.

Spend some time noting down what various settings tunables actually DO rather than just expect stuff to work 'out of the box'

You will indeed have to use the NVidia binary drivers, iirc the 'Nouveau' and 'nv' drivers don't do (Open)GL.

To get higher fps, switching off reflections also helps (if there are any in view...).

Other things that increase fps: smaller window, and narrower field of view ('maximum camera zoom out' in 'camera' tab, the higher you set that value, the lower your fps; 'perspective' also has an influence, but you have to like the effect)

Edited by revi

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.