Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Oops

Guest zeeawk

Entropy,

Im not sure if you tried this yet but.. I think you guys are on freebsd try this:

/usr/bin/truss -o /tmp/truss.log ./yourbinaryfile

Run that then look in /tmp/truss.log and it might tell you why it is crashing. Maybe they upgraded one of the libraries and the old one is missing now.

-zeeawk

If you need help IM me consultwt@yahoo.com

I work on freebsd/linux boxes all day long..

Ok, thanks. When can I?

As it says in the very first post in this thread... when Learner or Cicero start it up again. I have no idea when that will be. Sorry.

Yeah guys, if you still want to talk with your frineds you can log onto the test server.

Go to your El directory, and find ELConfig.exe

Click on that file, and you will see Port 2000 listed.

Change it to 2001, click ok, then start EL.. :P

yeah, especially on Linux I will get Wine to execute ELConfig.exe when I can simple open el.ini in Kate, KWrite or Notepad under Windows and edit it in 10 secs =D

i hope they come back...soon.....

OFF TOPIC: does anyone know the URL to the top 20 site?

OFF TOPIC 2: if elf_ranger's potion level was 22 at the time of press, and he's in top 20 in everyhting, does that mean i am in top 20 too?

OFF TOPIC:

http://el.tfm.ro/top/

OFF TOPIC 2

No, you need potion lvl of 47 at least to get to top 20 :P And Elf_Ranger is only in 6 out of 10 categories of top 20. Mostly because he's playing EL only ocassionaly now

Little hint:

Create a script named startserver.sh and there you start the server with all parameters.

And if this script is maintained, you wont have such problems again ;-)

Piper

Ps: Feel free to choose another name for the script, but thats the way we start at work our tp-monitors.

Let say el server process is named elserver and command to start it is elserver Cron scriptie:

#!/bin/sh
CHECK="1"
CHECK=`ps x | grep -c elserver`
if [ "$CHECK" != "0" ]; then
   :
else
   elserver
   sleep 1
   echo "Hey that's EL server check script, I had to start EL server at `date`. :( " | mail -s "EL server was down!" learner@somehost.com
fi

Run it every 10 mins. ;-)

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

Your little script won't work, there are other servers running as well, such as the test server. Yes, I know, they can have different names and such, but then again, a cron script that starts the server every 10 minutes without checkign anything would work too, the server knows if it's already started, and in this case it quits.

That would be an unnecesary waste of CPU power. The best way is to put it in the crontab every 10 minutes or so. OTOH, the reason I didn't put it in the crontab is that if I want to shut down the server myself for some update or something, I don't want it to be restarted automatically. Of course, there are ways around it, but the server doesn't crash that often to implement such hacks.

Just chain Learner to a desk and make him check the server every 10 minutes - no CPU power wasted, and you can just tell him not to restart it when you're doing an update B)

(Before anyone takes offense, that's a joke, btw.)

Regards,

Kenjutsushi Kyuketsuki

The Vampiric Swordsman

That would be an unnecesary waste of CPU power. The best way is to put it in the crontab every 10 minutes or so. OTOH, the reason I didn't put it in the crontab is that if I want to shut down the server myself for some update or something, I don't want it to be restarted automatically. Of course, there are ways around it, but the server doesn't crash that often to implement such hacks.

crontab -e

#

[esc]

:wq

Regards.

That would be an unnecesary waste of CPU power.

Waste of *cpu power*? A process slot yes, but not CPU power. That script will take zero CPU time as long as the server works as it should. Notice there are no & after the ./elserver line, meaning that the script will just wait until the server exits, before starting it again. And wait() takes no CPU power.

If the server crashes and can't be restarted, it will however use 100% CPU power, that's why it needs to abort after failing to start the server a few times.