Eternal Lands Official Forums
(Athosino)

Damn New Harvest System

Do you like new harvest system?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like new harvest system?

• Yeah it's great I never used the modded client I love it!!!
    • It's OK.
    • No, I don't like it much, meh modded client was better.
    • IT SUX !!!!
    • I will quite EL when this won't be gone within one week
    • It caused me to quit EL already

First, why this harvest system? NOONE likes it, NOONE needs it and it's pissing off everyone. Plz Learner, Cicero, Roja, Leeloo, Moone... ANYONE... can't u give this sh!t away?? It's pissing me off really I just returned to EL and after 2 days playing I execute my auto-harvest client and I can't harvest... and when I am without it then harvesting is sooo f*cking sloooow... plz let's do something with it??

In my opinion, of ALL the updates made to this game, autoharvesting IS THE WORST!!!!!!! Holy crap, as if harvesting while doing alchemy wasn't tedius enough as it was to begin with, never thought it could get worse.............guess i thought wrong!!!!!!

In my opinion, of ALL the updates made to this game, autoharvesting IS THE WORST!!!!!!! Holy crap, as if harvesting while doing alchemy wasn't tedius enough as it was to begin with, never thought it could get worse.............guess i thought wrong!!!!!!

indeed

in my opinion the guys who quit el just for the harvesting don't deserve this game...

i mean its a beta what do you want :S the devs need to test new stuff and the new stuff has to be tuned a little :S

Harvesting is a base skill, all others skills depends on harvesting, except attack/defence, therefore if you

mess up harvesting all non-fighting people has nothing to do in game therefore there are leaving.

Regards.

This time changes were bad... it definitely SUX LIKE ... erm, you know.

Damn, ppl. Making game harder reduces fun drastically, except for 5% maniac players...

You know, if you were new to this game, and didnt know what the old harvesting system was like, and all you knew was this new harvesting system, would you still complain or leave? Think about it.

If the devs dont try out new things, then how are they going to improve the game? By always doing what the players want? Well, we may play it, but we dont own it, and we can only suggest new ideas, and hope that the devs will consider them.

I too prefer the old harvesting system, but this new harvesting system doesnt stop me from doing anything I could do before, everything just takes a little longer now. Just because everything takes a bit longer to do, it doesnt make me want to leave.

Why dont you try and support the devs, rather than complain everytime they change something? Why dont you try and support the game you love, rather than leave it in the hope your leaving will make them change their updates.

The only problem I see with what everybody is saying is what's listed right in the poll - in other words, the "modded client".

That translates as CHEATING, ladies and gentlemen. Something that SOME of us refuse to do.

I can see the reasoning behind the autoharvesting system already - it makes a level playing field for those who do not wish to cheat. Which is all most of us really ask. Certainly, it's not perfect. But what is, especially in a beta?

The important thing to remember is that they are TRYING to find a solution that works for everyone, and blindly quitting a BETA because they're actually WORKING on it is STUPID.

So, to those six votes, and to anyone else who has quit playing over this - fine. I personally don't care. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

For the REST of you.

Instead of sitting here every day, all day, whining about how much you don't like the new system, why don't you do something CONSTRUCTIVE and at least make a suggestion about what could be done INSTEAD before making a post about it?

I'm sorry, I'm just tired of seeing the 50 millionth thread about the new autoharvester... especially where everyone just sits around and nods their heads.

Regards,

Kenjutsushi Kyuketsuki

The Vampiric Swordsman

Being a Jane of all trades its not really affected my game much - i spend about 10mins longer mining and chatting than i used to. - and no i have never used a modded client, but only because I cant be bothered.

I must champion the concept of autoharvesting. It definitely saves on screen changing to get click-a-lot up and running.

I expect it will be tweaked and am enjoying the change - no boredom here!

Thankyou StKenjutsushi & Gunslingers...you guys pretty much said it all. Most people on here just like the whine and complain about it. And we are not going to sacrifice trying to make this game great for a bunch of people who post that they are leaving, with no good suggestions and ideas on how we can fix the situation.

So far people came up with suggestions for the formula, which has been changed a couple times already.

Now what else can be done? As for me, I would like to have FUN while harvesting, if at all possible. To actually be ACTIVELY DOING something in the game, that makes me FEEL like i'm achieveing something. So I suggested the idea of mini-games. However I don't want to go into that any farther if no one is going to like it.

Another suggestion is to get rid of harvesting as a SKILL...everyone would be able to pick flowers & veggies, mining would require you to be strong and find the ore, so it would take longer than flowers.. Of course this is a general idea and would only work if the rest of the skills are balanced out (which we plan to do regardless).

Those are my 2 ideas...that does not mean either one will ever get in the game. But i'm just letting you guys know what I think.

Thankyou StKenjutsushi & Gunslingers...you guys pretty much said it all. Most people on here just like the whine and complain about it. And we are not going to sacrifice trying to make this game great for a bunch of people who post that they are leaving, with no good suggestions and ideas on how we can fix the situation.

So far people came up with suggestions for the formula, which has been changed a couple times already.

Now what else can be done? As for me, I would like to have FUN while harvesting, if at all possible. To actually be ACTIVELY DOING something in the game, that makes me FEEL like i'm achieveing something. So I suggested the idea of mini-games. However I don't want to go into that any farther if no one is going to like it.

Another suggestion is to get rid of harvesting as a SKILL...everyone would be able to pick flowers & veggies, mining would require you to be strong and find the ore, so it would take longer than flowers.. Of course this is a general idea and would only work if the rest of the skills are balanced out (which we plan to do regardless).

Those are my 2 ideas...that does not mean either one will ever get in the game. But i'm just letting you guys know what I think.

the idea about mini-ganes isn't bad, but it wouldn't solve ANYTHING. the second idea about removing harvesting as a SKILL sux (in my opinion), but i wouldn't be bad when everybody would be able to harvest ecerything without any fails, but that would be too easy indeed

my suggestion is to remove this harvest system and let ppl go progamming their clients :D

my suggestion is to remove this harvest system and let ppl go progamming their clients :D

you've just reinforced me feelings on not going back to how it was at all. Thanks :)

Perhaps what could be tried is to make the resources limited, with a certain regen rate per hour... and perhaps have them randomly migrate, to an extent.

In other words, let's take something everyone needs... the coal mine, for example.

Make each coal vein have a max value of 1000 or somesuch. Each one will regenerate by 100 per hour. Then, every two or three days, the patch gets "mined out" and can't be used for another 2-3. Instead, another coal patch somewhere else will become active, which makes players actually go out exploring for the resources instead of grabbing a map and sitting in front of the same patch day in, day out.

It would definitely also balance the economy out to a certain extent. I mean, last night, my character hit level 8 of manufacturing. Once that happened, I pumped out about 6 iron shields within a few minutes - I had metal, coal, and fire essences banked to the point where I could just sit around pumping the stuff out.

I don't know how that applies to the titanium weapons, but I'd imagine it works much the same way for higher level players... once you've learned to make a tit serp, and know where the resources are, the potential for making more is pretty much limitless.

Also, the other "classes" could be reworked a bit... require cross-trading between the classes to make the stronger items... for example, to make a tit long, someone now needs to have the titanium available, the essences, a high level potion, some special resource only found in very limited quantities in certain areas, (say, a special gem or somesuch), and to have someone with a special, rare research finalize it or something...

The problem is really that the cross-classing is too open. You can have equal values in every skill (if you go to the lengths to arrange that) - a high level character can have 50s across the board in each skill... while it's fun that the game is so open, it may be that the classes need to be more limited - like, you choose to be a miner - this opens up the manufacturing skills, and you cross-class to blacksmith... but when you do this, it limits the total value you can put into potions - because you have to specialize in the manufacturing skills (much like real life.)

What is the total advantage of this? It means that no one person can do everything required to make a high level item... and that someone who takes another class has more economic clout, so to speak. If the guy making the tit serp requires the services of a high level potion maker, and maybe a high level spellcaster, we now have a true economy going.

Also, the failure rates could be higher. (I know, I know... stop screaming in pain.) Say, for example, our miner-blacksmith is highly specialized in item crafting - he can make pretty much any item... this means that he has less points to put into his mining skills, and his alchemy skills. So it becomes much harder for him to mine the titanium and craft it into a metal bar... making it more feasable to him to work together with someone who is a VERY good miner/metal maker. He pays said person to get him the resources, and in exchange, HE almost never fails on the basic craft role... he then works together with a high level spellcaster and a high-level potion maker... etc etc etc. Oh, and did I mention that this will raise the bar on the sense of accomplishment one gets for completing something like this as well?

The total effect would be to create a proper economy, in which people with diversified skills HAVE to work together to create more powerful things. Unlike now, where entirely by myself, I can harvest, with excellent speed:

Iron ore, coal, sulphur, red rose, red snapdragon.

I can then make fire essence with 100% success rate. I can make iron bars with about 70% success rate. I can make steel bars with about 50% success rate. (success defined by not losing the materials) - and I can make enough for one of my iron shields in, give or take, five minutes.

THEN I can go and sit down and make an iron shield, with about a 60% success rate, in another two minutes.

Meaning there are two people in total in that economical system - me, and the consumer.

If it were harder to achieve a powerful weapon/armour/what have you, then not only would every low level character not be walking around with super equipment (I myself have only 15 a/d but a tit long (thanks to Rya for running that contest :D) and so does everyone else who's been playing for more than a couple days. If I so feel like it, I can make... (pulls up calc) 2500 gold per hour doing nothing more than harvesting lilacs.

Give me one week and by the end of it I guarantee you (if I wanted to... I don't, for the record) I would be holding a complete set of the strongest (basically) stuff in the game due to a broken economic system.

Anyway, that's my two cents... feel free to ask for clarification.

Regards,

Kenjutsushi Kyuketsuki

The Vampiric Swordsman

MY ANALYSIS & CONSEQUENCES :

1. Prices

-Prices will go up in all categories, meaning swords, armor, essences, rings, and pots.

-People won't buy anymore because stuff is getting more expensive every day.

-Some people who massively stored that kind of stuff will get an enormous advantage.

2. People

-Appauling drops in the amount of older players

-Warrior is going to be a priviledge.

3. What can be done ?

-Giving a new value for the gold coin, or returning to platiniums, with a slow change (3 weeks for people to get plats and get rid of gold coins). After 3 weeks, a whipe of all gold coins.

-All become warriors.

-Re value the experiance needed for levelings in skills that are directly linked the harvesting, not including the harvesting skill itself, which mean : alchemy, linked with magic and summoning, manufacturing ; and Potions.

Most people on here just like the whine and complain about it. And we are not going to sacrifice trying to make this game great for a bunch of people who post that they are leaving, with no good suggestions and ideas on how we can fix the situation.

Whine and complein... huh ? no good suggestions and ideas ?

Did anyone of you - creators even see my post in suggestion forum ?

I think not, so how we can expect any suggestion will be considered ? Only thing you leave us is complaining... i had an idea, it wasn't 'ideal' but worthy considering and work with it for a while.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9753

But Roja, admit we are not bitching on making harvesting interesting, if I will have to find ore and be

strong like IRL - splendid, but we are bitching about looking like a dumb sheep on your inventory window

while waiting ETERNITY to collect materials. This is what we are bitching about. If you find some method

to make manu/harvest longer in some natural way - for example because you have to find ore etc. - god

bless you, unless after I hit an ore with my pickaxe I will see on my window "Finding Ore in progress . . ."

and I will have to keep staring on that window like a dumb sheep. Of course, if you can make game more

interesting people will even enjoy that making items takes time, current harvest/manu system from boring

one has been changed for extremely boring macro-me-to-survive-sheep one. This is what people are

bitching about. Log in into the game and try harvest anything Roja, you will see what I am talking about.

Regards.

Hi All!

Well im glad if the new system causes unpatient people to leave, those were a spoil to the game anyways. I like it better than before, it allows to chat while working and the speed is just right i find. If it prevents people using their modded client from harvesting huge craploads in no time, its just the better. I just want the developers to know that theres still people on the game who do appreciate their work and say thx for everything and keep up the good work!

:D

brim

Well i have read a lot of post whinning about the new harvest system and would like to add my 2 cents in for the most part i like it some of the features need tweaked out a litte but it saves me a lot of time to continuly clicking my mouse for i never used a mod as a auto clicker and such ,,, my harvest level isnt so high or so low and i seem to have no problems looking at other stuff to do while i harvest coall or iron ,,or even gold to which is slow going ,,, it is all part of a beta game to which dev's try to tweak out areas to suit all needs not just one ,, once again i say beta game to which i have grown to enjoy even with this new system in ,,, most of what i have read to who is complaining is people who have used a auto clicker any way,isnt that some form of macro any way ,,,well that is my 2 cents worth happy gaming

Edited by Dorren

There is a system on the test server with improved speed on harvesting, when do we get to see it in the 'real' game?

As it is now, it is just TOO SLOW, it is very boring to have to wait forever to get, say 100 fruits, there is no need for such a chore to take that long (in my opinion), as it wont increase the fun of the game.

Fun things are what you do with the resources, and those things takes time too, so this means that the game is much slower now (except for fighting of course). So in my analysis, this game is turning into a fighting game.

So please speed up harvesting soon, and make it somewhat level-dependant.