Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chaoticwhizz

Mini-games For Alchemy/manu/etc

Guest Chaoticwhizz

I heard on the grapevine that the game-maker was plainng to use mini-games instead ot stats-based skills. This would really help with the current version of the game that inflicts terminal boredom on the players. You could have games like you have to get three dots in a roll with random facters (or based on your stats) keeping you from going through it (see System Shock 2) or word games like finding a word out of letters. The higher number of letters the words you find has then the more successful your production would be. Other games could be snake (having a snake eat mice and grow longer without collidign with itself), a tron-like motocycle game, Whack-a-mole, something similiar to pac-man, and something like your mouse pointer controlling a crosshair and you shoot moving targets

I recommend that you go back to the standard one second delay on harvesting and only use the minigames on manufactorig, potions, and alchemy.

Also since most of the above-mentioned mini-games take a while you could have multpile productions dependng on how well the players do. Like if your snake from the game above eats 50 mice before colliding with itself you produce 20 essences instead of just one. Another thing is that mini-games make it virtually impossible for anyone to use macros or auto-build progams to cheat. Anyone out there have any more ideas for mini-games or tweaking for the system?

I heard on the grapevine that the game-maker was plainng to use mini-games instead ot stats-based skills. This would really help with the current version of the game that inflicts terminal boredom on the players. You could have games like you have to get three dots in a roll with random facters (or based on your stats) keeping you from going through it (see System Shock 2) or word games like finding a word out of letters. The higher number of letters the words you find has then the more successful your production would be. Other games could be snake (having a snake eat mice and grow longer without collidign with itself), a tron-like motocycle game, Whack-a-mole, something similiar to pac-man, and something like your mouse pointer controlling a crosshair and you shoot moving targets

I recommend that you go back to the standard one second delay on harvesting and only use the minigames on manufactorig, potions, and alchemy.

Also since most of the above-mentioned mini-games take a while you could have multpile productions dependng on how well the players do. Like if your snake from the game above eats 50 mice before colliding with itself you produce 20 essences instead of just one. Another thing is that mini-games make it virtually impossible for anyone to use macros or auto-build progams to cheat. Anyone out there have any more ideas for mini-games or tweaking for the system?

I dont think i've ever seen a better example of misinformation, chinese whispers, lack of 'Reading the other forum posts' and 'Wrong end of the stick', all rolled into one, EVER!

uhh.. placid :o

to make it fun (atleast what i can figure people define as fun) would be that for every harvest a screen would pop and you would get a wack a mole kinda game where you have to click at the right spots at the right time or something. harvesting and similar is a very physical "skill" that is hard to translate over into a game without makeing it automatic...

I was thinking about that too duran... would people like it if we designed such a thing? I think it'd be fun..no more afk harvesting or boredom smile.gif

It would fun for a while but it wouldn't fit in a fantasy game...

Well, it would be an arcade-game element inside of a fantasy game..i don't see the problem in that (think final fantasy 7, they had that too)

Indeed, I came here to play an mmorpg, not "minigames"...

Then please suggest how to make harvesting roleplaying. As it is now, there's no RPG about it, it's almost as bad as old sports games on the commodore 64 (100m sprint: joystick left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right...)

Well, the very essence of roleplaying harvesting would be what?: your character goes to a flower, picks that flower, picks another flower, and another, etc etc..which even if we had the animations, it still translates as click click for the person on the other side of the computer.

uhh.. placid :o

to make it fun (atleast what i can figure people define as fun) would be that for every harvest a screen would pop and you would get a wack a mole kinda game where you have to click at the right spots at the right time or something. harvesting and similar is a very physical "skill" that is hard to translate over into a game without makeing it automatic...

I was thinking about that too duran... would people like it if we designed such a thing? I think it'd be fun..no more afk harvesting or boredom smile.gif

It would fun for a while but it wouldn't fit in a fantasy game...

Well, it would be an arcade-game element inside of a fantasy game..i don't see the problem in that (think final fantasy 7, they had that too)

You misread what i meant.

I heard on the grapevine that the game-maker was plainng to use mini-games instead ot stats-based skills

...is what i was referring to roja :)

My bottom line is, I came to play a serious mmorpg. Final Fantasy is NOT an mmorpg, its a toned down version of a normal rpg for "The Console Krewz", ie those not smart enough to realise that GOOD games are to be found on the pc. This is not the sort of thing i say a lot but, if we had to play stupid little minigames to mine, I'd be leaving immediately, as I'm guessing would a load of others. This is an mmorpg, if you don't like the basic formula of an mmorpg, how about *shock* not playing one?

My bottom line is, I came to play a serious mmorpg. Final Fantasy is NOT an mmorpg, its a toned down version of a normal rpg for "The Console Krewz", ie those not smart enough to realise that GOOD games are to be found on the pc. This is not the sort of thing i say a lot but, if we had to play stupid little minigames to mine, I'd be leaving immediately, as I'm guessing would a load of others. This is an mmorpg, if you don't like the basic formula of an mmorpg, how about *shock* not playing one?

Can i ask who you were referring to? Or was it a post in general to all the minigame ideas?

those not smart enough to realise that GOOD games are to be found on the

So console games are and will always be inferior to MMORPGs? I sometimes like playing console games though -- no people to deal with, which in most MMORPGs, would actually be good. The idiots and asses outweigh the nice crowd.

Final fantasy is for the PC too :P

It isn't one of the most popular games of all time for no reason, btw....

I meant the majority of the series (which has about 10 or so of them consoled)

if we had to play stupid little minigames to mine, I'd be leaving immediately, as I'm guessing would a load of others

Again another element that I think would make the game interesting and fun so obviously It' a bad one...

This is an mmorpg, if you don't like the basic formula of an mmorpg, how about *shock* not playing one?

I would think that the creators and Developers would be able able to design their mmorpg any way they want, hmm I could be wrong though.

I like the idea of a minigame, perhaps heres and example for you

p5757979.jpg

This is a dull 2D concept picture representing a cavern wall, I'm not an artist so just stick with the concept (This would be much better as a limited FPS concept though)

You are shown an example of a rock wall that you would be harvesting from, each portion of the rock wall the light gray spots represent the ore you can hartvest and depending on how difficult(how many clicks it takes) would be the ammount of ore you harvest for a successfully complete harvesting of that ore. There could of course be tavern walls that fall down on you and in say a flower reperesented harvest where you would be looking at the bush with flowers that represent the ones your tring to harvest you would have to avoid the bee's... Mother nature would play a part in both types of harvesting. You could scroll side to side some how to find more ore to harvest and there would be diffrent sized ores representing more difficult and in the end profitable peices of ore to harvest.

Anyway just a base example off the top of my head, if anyone is interested I'm sure I could come up with a more detailed concept.

MMO = Massive Mulitplayer Online, RPG = Role Playing Game, you are playing a role in Eternal lands and that is of a harvester, harvesters I think would possibly enjoy a little entertainment while they work and it might be a nice change from the current system since so many people (Not I) have complained about it. Gathering supplies is a perfectably acceptabl concept in an RPG and since there are still lots of other players it also has a place in an MMORPG like eternal lands.

if you don't like the basic formula of an mmorpg

Well since you don't like the concept of this MMORPG perhaps you should find another one to play, there are ones suited for various diffrent tastes all over the net.

Have a great day and Roja I like this idea, keep giving it some serious though.

Final fantasy is for the PC too It isn't one of the most popular games of all time for no reason, btw....

Go Roja Rokc on.

NeoSeS

PS I love Final Fantasy to BTW :P

Final fantasy is for the PC too ;)

It isn't one of the most popular games of all time for no reason, btw....

Of course, it's really popular because it appeals to fuckwits :ph34r:

Ontopic: You're all missing the idea of mmorpgs, its like saying "well, I like counterstrike, but Valve should patch out the killing because it's too violent". Just because you're trying to place your ideas for a totally different game onto this one, doesn't mean the majority of players will like it...

Of course, it's really popular because it appeals to fuckwits :blink:

wow thanks, i'm a fuckwit :)

Ontopic: You're all missing the idea of mmorpgs, its like saying "well, I like counterstrike, but Valve should patch out the killing because it's too violent". Just because you're trying to place your ideas for a totally different game onto this one, doesn't mean the majority of players will like it...

No, it doesn't mean all the players will like it. And I dont know about you, but since it is my game, i want to make this game as fun as possible. I wonder how you would do it if it was your game? :)

You haven't really defined what your idea/concept of a MMORPG is like in the first place. What makes you think that there is a standard concept? Furthermore, if there WAS a standard concept, would you want all MMORPGs to follow that concept and not deviate from it? Is that the sort of games you want to play for the rest of your life - clones?

-Lyn-

not that my opinion has ever made a difference. I think this is a good idea, but instead of a cheesy wack o mole deal. Why not have like a hand that you must steady and grab the lilac from the bush. If you do it perfectly, 20 lilacs. if you fail, no lilacs. you shake up the bush too much you get stung. Do it to hastily you don't get as many lilacs because you destroyed them trying to grab to greedily.

I'm not bored from leveling up. Mostly I listen to stuff in the background, practice guitar etc. while mixing/harvesting.

not that my opinion has ever made a difference. I think this is a good idea, but instead of a cheesy wack o mole deal. Why not have like a hand that you must steady and grab the lilac from the bush. If you do it perfectly, 20 lilacs. if you fail, no lilacs. you shake up the bush too much you get stung. Do it to hastily you don't get as many lilacs because you destroyed them trying to grab to greedily.

Worst case of necrophilia I've seen in a long time. Your reply just missed with five years.. ;)