Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChowRiit

A Number Of Suggestions, Ideas, Bugs Etc

OK, well, basically, ever since I started this game I've been jotting down on a scrap of paper all little comments, things I'd prefer changed, bugs etc that I've found. It's not an exaustive list, and it's not me saying these things have to be changed, it's simply what I've found, and my perspective. I'm just trying to help, and if even one of these things is considered a useful suggestion by the powers that be, I'll be delighted :)

1. The ingame clock doesn't keep synch with realtime - it appears to be losing or gaining a few minutes each hour.

2. The Joker spawns in too few positions, changing it from the random event intended to something hunted out by a few of the high level players because they know all the spawns, it needs the number of spawns tripled or more.

3. Ranking tables for OAs and individual skills are always nice, add some competion to the game.. :)

4. When you reset, you lose the pickpoints you start with. I understand losing all your picks you accumulated when you're oa is set back to 0, but losing the starting pickpoints is a bit harsh, and at higher levels, those 3? picks are worth a lot, yet most players mess up their stats and reset at one stage or other.

5. When people die, they don't drop bones - wouldn't it be more realistic if they dropped 1-3 bones every time?

6. The sit lock is useful, but would be far better if when toggled, it was impossible to stand up without using the sit/stand button or clicking to move on the map, and you couldn't go into combat - at the moment you can still misattack neighbouring targets, and move by double rightclicking, which leads to a lot of annoying accidents.

7.The game world really feels... empty in some ways. Maybe we could have a few npcs strategic placed, that do NOTHING at all. For example - there are a lot of empty farms, what about farmers? And in VotD come on - an empty tavern in a dwarf town? Something wrong there... :P

8. Can the "enter" key be set to do the same as the return key, as in most games/programs? I repeatedly type out a sentence and hit enter, only to find it's done nothing, its just a little thing, but its annoying, and the enter key has no other use...

9. Can we put food/wine etc in our store? I don't see it as unreasonable to store wine, most wines improve with age anyway and the PL store has wine bottles in its shelves. As for food, well, if we can store raw meat, why not foods? It's really an annoyance to most players... Same goes for storing rare books but not books? I fail to see the logic there...

10. Can all the player owned bots (Linux, Nera etc), please be put into a guild (NPC or BOT or whatever) so we can tell they're npc sellbots? It confuses and annoys a lot of newbies, and it would be nice to tell them appart instantly anyway...

11. The cavern wall collapse message when mining - I understand the need to have some form of random damage, but please, the whole "how unluckys must they be?!" thing is really, really corny... How about something simpler and more realistic? I don't know, "xxxx has hit themselves on the hand with their pickaxe and lost 12 health" or something. You could even hold a mini contest for suggestions for a new message...

12. A number of maps are oriented wrongly, most notable the PL storage - from the outside, the door is facing east, but inside it's north... It's a really silly bug, but it IS annoying at times.

13. Some form of list of the perks you have would be nice, maybe just a sub/additional part of the stats page?

14. Multiple presses of / appear to be opening the map for me, is this a bug of some kind? When i try to pm people, if i hit / it think 4 times (press it an extra twice by mistake), I open the map, its really annoying...

15. We really need a proper news page actually telling us what's going, not one with two updates one from march and one from october as on some news pages you see on sites, but a proper one with at least weekly updates telling us what's coming up, what's going on and anything else - most players aren't going to bother hunting through the forums to find out what's going on.

16. We really need high level items - I'm talking about items that even with seriously heavy training, NOONE will be able to make for at least a year or so - items REQUIRING skills in the 100s or even 200s to make, or even multiple skills in the 100s - people always need a reason to reach high levels in the skills, and it really makes being the best in you're field worth it. Maybe we can have uber rings/medallions, or incredibly powerful weapons, maybe magic weapons you need high magic skill to make too, or even allow high levels to make enriched essences, or even better essences, the possibilities are endless. Make the skills required to make them really hard to attain, but not impossible - it should ideally be a year or two before some reaches the requisite skill level. Give people something to work for - it gives the game much more longievity, keeps you're high levels a lot longer, and will help keep the playerbase up - people never like to feel they've done everything in a game, so make it virtually impossible for them to get there in any time period less than a decade or two.

17.Every time I play, I have to set my resolution, sitlock, and put the game to fullscreen. Is it possible for the game to remember these settings, or have a way of setting defaults so players dont have to do this every time?

My opinions on the new patch can be found here, and in other places, but really this thread isn't about the patch.

Just a last note, some background for anyone who cares: I've been playing EL for only a few weeks, only signed on the forums very recently. I've played 5 other mmorpgs before this, 3 of them as long term things (two for 2 years each, another for a year), and I played seriously, heavy game play. I do have a good idea what I'm talking about, I have seen mmorpgs do well and I've seen them fail. Please, can we not have the "omg wtf do you know N00B" posts? I'm trying to help, and these are just suggestions.

Edited by ChowRiit

The ingame clock doesn't keep synch with realtime - it appears to be losing or gaining a few minutes each hour.

new to me

The Joker spawns in too many positions, changing it from the random event intended to something hunted out by a few of the high level players because they know all the spawns, it needs the number of spawns tripled or more.

lol it need be total random like first chose map randomly then chose coordinates randomly

Ranking tables for OAs and individual skills are always nice, add some competion to the game.. :)

already done on website

When you reset, you lose the pickpoints you start with. I understand losing all your picks you accumulated when you're oa is set back to 0, but losing the starting pickpoints is a bit harsh, and at higher levels, those 3? picks are worth a lot, yet most players mess up their stats and reset at one stage or other.

lol live with it

When people die, they don't drop bones - wouldn't it be more realistic if they dropped 1-3 bones every time?

cool idea but you know how bones map millions and end bag making

The sit lock is useful, but would be far better if when toggled, it was impossible to stand up without using the sit/stand button or clicking to move on the map, and you couldn't go into combat - at the moment you can still misattack neighbouring targets, and move by double rightclicking, which leads to a lot of annoying accidents.

now that idea

The game world really feels... empty in some ways. Maybe we could have a few npcs strategic placed, that do NOTHING at all. For example - there are a lot of empty farms, what about farmers? And in VotD come on - an empty tavern in a dwarf town? Something wrong there... :P

i agreed with you

Can the "enter" key be set to do the same as the return key, as in most games/programs? I repeatedly type out a sentence and hit enter, only to find it's done nothing, its just a little thing, but its annoying, and the enter key has no other use...

never noticed that

Can we put food/wine etc in our store? I don't see it as unreasonable to store wine, most wines improve with age anyway and the PL store has wine bottles in its shelves. As for food, well, if we can store raw meat, why not foods? It's really an annoyance to most players... Same goes for storing rare books but not books? I fail to see the logic there...

posted before answer no

Can all the player owned bots (Linux, Nera etc), please be put into a guild (NPC or BOT or whatever) so we can tell they're npc sellbots? It confuses and annoys a lot of newbies, and it would be nice to tell them appart instantly anyway...

that would be nice to have

The cavern wall collapse message when mining - I understand the need to have some form of random damage, but please, the whole "how unluckys must they be?!" thing is really, really corny... How about something simpler and more realistic? I don't know, "xxxx has hit themselves on the hand with their pickaxe and lost 12 health" or something. You could even hold a mini contest for suggestions for a new message...

yea does need to be changed

A number of maps are oriented wrongly, most notable the PL storage - from the outside, the door is facing east, but inside it's north... It's a really silly bug, but it IS annoying at times.

yea i noticed that too

Some form of list of the perks you have would be nice, maybe just a sub/additional part of the stats page?

hey agreed with you there

Multiple presses of / appear to be opening the map for me, is this a bug of some kind? When i try to pm people, if i hit / it think 4 times (press it an extra twice by mistake), I open the map, its really annoying...

never seen that

We really need a proper news page actually telling us what's going, not one with two updates one from march and one from october as on some news pages you see on sites, but a proper one with at least weekly updates telling us what's coming up, what's going on and anything else - most players aren't going to bother hunting through the forums to find out what's going on.

yea most people hate searching

We really need high level items - I'm talking about items that even with seriously heavy training, NOONE will be able to make for at least a year or so - items REQUIRING skills in the 100s or even 200s to make, or even multiple skills in the 100s - people always need a reason to reach high levels in the skills, and it really makes being the best in you're field worth it. Maybe we can have uber rings/medallions, or incredibly powerful weapons, maybe magic weapons you need high magic skill to make too, or even allow high levels to make enriched essences, or even better essences, the possibilities are endless. Make the skills required to make them really hard to attain, but not impossible - it should ideally be a year or two before some reaches the requisite skill level. Give people something to work for - it gives the game much more longievity, keeps you're high levels a lot longer, and will help keep the playerbase up - people never like to feel they've done everything in a game, so make it virtually impossible for them to get there in any time period less than a decade or two.

it take time but they could make tit stuff required a higher level

Every time I play, I have to set my resolution, sitlock, and put the game to fullscreen. Is it possible for the game to remember these settings, or have a way of setting defaults so players dont have to do this every time?

open el.ini you can change that stuff there

Edited by jamesvm

1. Can be, no comment on this

2. Agreed but you had a typo, you say he has to many spawns and after that you say that there should be more spawns

3. There is a site that shows the top 10 or 20 but I don't know the URL

4. When you start you get some attack and some defence...your OA rises to 5 so you have 5 pp to spend...when you reset your OA resets to 0 so you can just level back to 5, it's not like you get 5 extra pickpoint when you start

5. I don't care so no comment

6. Agree

7. Agree

8. The enter button works for me

9. You can't put food in storage because you could just put everything in storage and macro make everything...now you have to get food all the time...before the BIG reset you could store food and they removed it with a purpose

10. I think they should not have a seperate guild so you can see for wich guild it sells...a different name collor would be good I think

11. Don't care

12. Agree but you would have to rebuild all the maps so I don't think this is going to be fixed.

13. Agree

14. I don't have that

15. Agree

16. Agree

17. Don't care but it would be a good thing

I definetly agree about Joker. I also would volunteer to pick 40 new ones since I am the Joker master (currently) :P I already have 20 more picked out :lol:

The ingame clock doesn't keep synch with realtime - it appears to be losing or gaining a few minutes each hour.

EL runs on a 6 hour clock, it is and always will be different from RL.

The Joker spawns in too many positions, changing it from the random event intended to something hunted out by a few of the high level players because they know all the spawns, it needs the number of spawns tripled or more.

These spawns are being worked on being improved.

Ranking tables for OAs and individual skills are always nice, add some competion to the game.. :)

There is a webpage that has this. Unfortunely i don't have the link but you can ask players in the game for it.

When you reset, you lose the pickpoints you start with. I understand losing all your picks you accumulated when you're oa is set back to 0, but losing the starting pickpoints is a bit harsh, and at higher levels, those 3?

It's easy enough to get those 3 pp's back.

When people die, they don't drop bones - wouldn't it be more realistic if they dropped 1-3 bones every time?

Not really considering they come right back to life and can drop much more than bones :P

The sit lock is useful, but would be far better if when toggled, it was impossible to stand up without using the sit/stand button or clicking to move on the map, and you couldn't go into combat - at the moment you can still misattack neighbouring targets, and move by double rightclicking, which leads to a lot of annoying accidents.

Some of those things might be taken into consideration :)

The game world really feels... empty in some ways. Maybe we could have a few npcs strategic placed, that do NOTHING at all. For example - there are a lot of empty farms, what about farmers? And in VotD come on - an empty tavern in a dwarf town? Something wrong there... :)

There will be more npc's as we get more quests and storyline

Can the "enter" key be set to do the same as the return key, as in most games/programs? I repeatedly type out a sentence and hit enter, only to find it's done nothing, its just a little thing, but its annoying, and the enter key has no other use...

Dont know what you mean here at all... i press enter all the time, in fact i don't have a return key on my keyboard so perhaps you're not using the standard.

Can we put food/wine etc in our store?

No, this was taken out so people won't macro so much.

Can all the player owned bots (Linux, Nera etc), please be put into a guild (NPC or BOT or whatever) so we can tell they're npc sellbots?

I agree they should have some colored name on them..something liek a guild might work.

A number of maps are oriented wrongly, most notable the PL storage - from the outside, the door is facing east, but inside it's north... It's a really silly bug, but it IS annoying at times.

Too much work to fix that, they will stay this way.

Some form of list of the perks you have would be nice, maybe just a sub/additional part of the stats page?

They should be in the encyclopedia, and if htey are not, you can download the new encyclopedia(ask players for a link), and it will be in the nex update.

Multiple presses of / appear to be opening the map for me, is this a bug of some kind?

Might want to list that in the bug reports along with your system specs and all..

We really need a proper news page actually telling us what's going, not one with two updates one from march and one from october as on some news pages you see on sites

It's hard to keep the webpage up to date when you have 1 billion other things to do...eventually it'll get done :)

We really need high level items -

Will come in time.

Every time I play, I have to set my resolution, sitlock, and put the game to fullscreen.

Go to your El directory, click on Elconfig.exe, and set the stuff there.

They should be in the encyclopedia, and if htey are not, you can download the new encyclopedia(ask players for a link), and it will be in the nex update.

I think he means a list of the perks YOU have

As for the clock - check it yourself, one day a new hour will come at 47mins past the hour, a few hours later the hour changes at 33mins past or something. Each EL hour appears to be like 59 or 61mins or something, however they're 60 EL mins each etc, so it leads me to the conclusion that the hours themselves are wrong.

Joker typo fixed, thanks for that.

Points now numbers to make it easier to refer to them.

My point with the npcs was that it would be nice to have a few useless npcs. Just a few fellas in the bar, who you can say hi to maybe, but really serve no function at all. More npcs in quests is all very well, but npcs who are there just to make the world feel populated add a feeling a realism without any nasty messing with game mechanics. Of course, if it would be hard/laggy to impliment, don't bother ;)

And yes, I meant a list of perks you have. I've already forgotten if I got artificer or not :D

As for higher level items, I undestand it takes time, but I really would recommend getting them in there soon, even if noone is anywhere near making them. If people have solid goals to aim for and can SEE what's to come, it always encourages more playing and higher level players to stay on in mmorpgs, in my experience.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read all those suggestions though! :D

Edited by ChowRiit

1. The ingame clock doesn't keep synch with realtime - it appears to be losing or gaining a few minutes each hour.

You see, planet EL is smaller and rotates faster than Earth...

2. The Joker spawns in too few positions, changing it from the random event intended to something hunted out by a few of the high level players because they know all the spawns, it needs the number of spawns tripled or more.

There are already a a few hundred spawns, and it's not like Joker gives any good prizes.

3. Ranking tables for OAs and individual skills are always nice, add some competion to the game.. :)

Good idea.

4. When you reset, you lose the pickpoints you start with. I understand losing all your picks you accumulated when you're oa is set back to 0, but losing the starting pickpoints is a bit harsh, and at higher levels, those 3? picks are worth a lot, yet most players mess up their stats and reset at one stage or other.

It's 5 pp, and it's only a few minutes of harvesting veggies... well, more than a few mins now, but still...

5. When people die, they don't drop bones - wouldn't it be more realistic if they dropped 1-3 bones every time?

Yeah, it would.

6. The sit lock is useful, but would be far better if when toggled, it was impossible to stand up without using the sit/stand button or clicking to move on the map, and you couldn't go into combat - at the moment you can still misattack neighbouring targets, and move by double rightclicking, which leads to a lot of annoying accidents.

Don't click on things while you're harvesting.

7.The game world really feels... empty in some ways. Maybe we could have a few npcs strategic placed, that do NOTHING at all. For example - there are a lot of empty farms, what about farmers? And in VotD come on - an empty tavern in a dwarf town? Something wrong there... :P

Even better: During the day, the people come out of their houses and do stuff, during the night, they go back inside... but the tavern's open all night. :blink:

8. Can the "enter" key be set to do the same as the return key, as in most games/programs? I repeatedly type out a sentence and hit enter, only to find it's done nothing, its just a little thing, but its annoying, and the enter key has no other use...

You mean the enter key near the keypad? Why would your hand be all the way over there?

9. Can we put food/wine etc in our store? I don't see it as unreasonable to store wine, most wines improve with age anyway and the PL store has wine bottles in its shelves. As for food, well, if we can store raw meat, why not foods? It's really an annoyance to most players... Same goes for storing rare books but not books? I fail to see the logic there...

Well, food spoils, it would be too easy to make potions if you can store drinks, raw meats are animal items, and just buy a couple books at a time.

10. Can all the player owned bots (Linux, Nera etc), please be put into a guild (NPC or BOT or whatever) so we can tell they're npc sellbots? It confuses and annoys a lot of newbies, and it would be nice to tell them appart instantly anyway...

I know we can make players have different colored nametags, so it would be real easy for the bots.

11. The cavern wall collapse message when mining - I understand the need to have some form of random damage, but please, the whole "how unluckys must they be?!" thing is really, really corny... How about something simpler and more realistic? I don't know, "xxxx has hit themselves on the hand with their pickaxe and lost 12 health" or something. You could even hold a mini contest for suggestions for a new message...

Yeah, keep the cavern wall and stuff, but also have stuff like "Player1 got hit in the eye by a piece of (whatever he's harvesting) and lost X damage" or something.. Maybe even a feature to make it so that you don't get the messages, just "Player1 lost X damage." or "Player1's pickaxe broke."

12. A number of maps are oriented wrongly, most notable the PL storage - from the outside, the door is facing east, but inside it's north... It's a really silly bug, but it IS annoying at times.

Yeah, I got really annoyed at that at first, but you get used to it.

13. Some form of list of the perks you have would be nice, maybe just a sub/additional part of the stats page?

It would take up a lot of room...

14. Multiple presses of / appear to be opening the map for me, is this a bug of some kind? When i try to pm people, if i hit / it think 4 times (press it an extra twice by mistake), I open the map, its really annoying...

Hrm..didn't know about that...

15. We really need a proper news page actually telling us what's going, not one with two updates one from march and one from october as on some news pages you see on sites, but a proper one with at least weekly updates telling us what's coming up, what's going on and anything else - most players aren't going to bother hunting through the forums to find out what's going on.

EL Times. Look in the announcements forum.

16. We really need high level items - I'm talking about items that even with seriously heavy training, NOONE will be able to make for at least a year or so - items REQUIRING skills in the 100s or even 200s to make, or even multiple skills in the 100s - people always need a reason to reach high levels in the skills, and it really makes being the best in you're field worth it. Maybe we can have uber rings/medallions, or incredibly powerful weapons, maybe magic weapons you need high magic skill to make too, or even allow high levels to make enriched essences, or even better essences, the possibilities are endless. Make the skills required to make them really hard to attain, but not impossible - it should ideally be a year or two before some reaches the requisite skill level. Give people something to work for - it gives the game much more longievity, keeps you're high levels a lot longer, and will help keep the playerbase up - people never like to feel they've done everything in a game, so make it virtually impossible for them to get there in any time period less than a decade or two.

Good idea.

Material X - REQUIRES level 120 to harvest.

Refined material X - REQUIRES level 120 alchemy.

Material X sword - REQUIRES level 120 manufacturing.

Those levels would take a while. :D

17.Every time I play, I have to set my resolution, sitlock, and put the game to fullscreen. Is it possible for the game to remember these settings, or have a way of setting defaults so players dont have to do this every time?

Yeah... look in the EL folder for elconfig.exe.

I'm trying to help, and these are just suggestions.

And very good suggestions, too. ;)

Maybe I should write down things, too...

EL runs on a 6 hour clock, it is and always will be different from RL.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was the clock itself is not synced properly with real time: for example, an EL hour is NOT the same length as a real life hour, but instead 58 or 62 minutes long, something like that. Could it be fixed so that we have exactly 4 EL days per real day, and an EL hour is the same length as a real life hour? It's really annoying to find it might be 12.59 in real life, and come back to EL to start a new hour of harvesting, only to find EL time is currently at 3.37 or something.

There are already a a few hundred spawns, and it's not like Joker gives any good prizes.

A few hundred?!?!?!

Theres only 38 <_<

...an EL hour is NOT the same length as a real life hour, but instead 58 or 62 minutes long, something like that. Could it be fixed so that we have exactly 4 EL days per real day, and an EL hour is the same length as a real life hour? It's really annoying to find it might be 12.59 in real life, and come back to EL to start a new hour of harvesting, only to find EL time is currently at 3.37 or something.

I noticed that as well, and I also find it annoying. This problem should be fixed.

None of the keypad buttons work. i believe it is being worked on.

...an EL hour is NOT the same length as a real life hour, but instead 58 or 62 minutes long, something like that. Could it be fixed so that we have exactly 4 EL days per real day, and an EL hour is the same length as a real life hour? It's really annoying to find it might be 12.59 in real life, and come back to EL to start a new hour of harvesting, only to find EL time is currently at 3.37 or something.

I noticed that as well, and I also find it annoying. This problem should be fixed.

Ok, it is a problem that you find it annoying. How do we fix that?

It's not a problem that the game days drift, it's done on purpose, so that someone who plays the same time every day will not always play at night. It even used to be documented somewhere.

It's not a problem that the game days drift, it's done on purpose, so that someone who plays the same time every day will not always play at night. It even used to be documented somewhere.

That is actually a good reason. Thank you for clearing that up. Although, you said that it used to be documented... why isn't it anymore?

I don't know if it is. I don't remember where it was documented, and I can't find it again. So, either it was removed or I'm looking in the wrong place :D