Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cicero

Testing New Formula

Much more reasonable I think.

Harvesting level 47.

Titanium ore 1 every 3 seconds

Fruit and vegies 1 every second.

My recommendation is to implement it as soon as you can. This may quiet a lot of folks down a bit.

I think I'm the master of AFK harvesting... today I've watched two movies and beaten a PS game while sitting at my desk harvesting :/

Haven't tested the new formula yet, but it sounds like a winner.

Regards,

Kenjutsushi Kyuketsuki

The Vampiric Swordsman

hmm, there is that word again, fun. problem is that i dont see people that use it, define what they think is fun. this leaves it up to the creators to try and guess what people think of as fun...

ok,so how if we extend on that wack a mole idea. problem with it is that its a kind of time based game in that you have to hit them before they go away again. the problem with that is that it dont realy fit the idea of harvesting something (the stuff is mostly stationary, unless your harvesting bugs that is) and that it can life hopeless for people with bad connections.

and a non-time system, like say haveing x number of spots (basicly wack a mole without the time element) where only some of them hold the item the harvester wants, is damn easy to make a proxy for as the server will have to tell the client what spots are harvestable. only way to avoid that is to not have the server tell the client, but then its left to random chance and i think people will hate that as much as the system allready in place and just macro the spot clicking rather then the plant clicking.

only other solution that i see is to remove harvesting as a skill compleatly so that it have no impact on overall exp and similar.

or one could make bushes run out of resources at times (without removeing the bush itself from the map) so that people would have to go hunt for that resource somewhere else. but again i fear that it will not seen as fun.

basicly i have a hard time finding a system that can at all be seen as fun when it comes to harvesting. even more so if we want to make it equal no matter the connection people have.

so people, when you ask for a fun system. please explain what you think of as a fun system...

Personally, I find this fun. But I've always been attracted to resource gathering in games... I guess I'm just not a real combat sort of person when it comes down to it. (Visions of Morrowind... picking up every flower in existance... hours of my life...)

And I don't mind having a break from the game - get up and grab a sandwich or somesuch. It's enjoyable (to me) to have an aspect of the game that doesn't require constant attention and/or action. Saves on the carpal tunnel too.

But that's just me.

Regards,

Kenjutsushi Kyuketsuki

The Vampiric Swordsman

This new version on the test server is SO much better... I can actually mine titanium again...Woohoo! :D

Time to mine full load of titanium ore:

Harvesting Level 45/6

Live system: >28 minutes :)

Test system: >13 minutes :(

The test system is much closer to the original speed... and is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the current Live system.

When is it likely to be installed?

Edited by avon

Details, people, details... not "Woot! I can harvest again!", or "Yay! I really really like it!", or "Yeah, this is much better than the other one"

But instead, things like:

Your harvest level

What you're trying to harvest (and its level, just for convenience)

Approx amount of time it takes you to harvest it

Preferably, across the entire range of items, too, rather than just what you want to harvest. It can't be implemented until it is tested fully. It won't be tested fully until you actually go and test everything, with every possible combination you can think of. That's the whole point of beta-testing.

-Lyn-

Edited by Lyanna

ff7 did have that, it was great fun :D

That was what I hated most about FF VII and after. And that's why I no longer want to play any new version of that game. If I wanted that kinds of game, there are many online game spots.

Oh, I just tested with my main character. With harvesting lv 50, it took way too long to harvest tit ores. Tit ores have been my main source of income for some time. I needed to raise my manu level. For that I needed lot of leathers and threads. Of course I can make some money by selling off my 20k stock of tit ores and make those useless leather pants, but what can I do after that? By the way, it takes about 10 second to mix a leather pants. And do not forget it's not a simple click and it's done. Sometimes it takes several tries until I get a lether pants or lose the indredients. One trial may take 5 or 6 remixes. I need to make about 150 leather pants just to gain a manu level. To get to the level where I can challenge something people would readily buy, I still have a long way to go. How can I finance that when mining is such a slow process, and how can I manage to sit in front of PC staring screen waiting for the result of "click"? Hours and hours, just maiking leather pants, becuase there's no alternate resources to use. Iron? Before, I used my precious iron bars to make iron shields to make money. But when Trik no longer buys iron shields? Forget it. Really, it is no fun any longer.

Edited by Jojo

only other solution that i see is to remove harvesting as a skill compleatly so that it have no impact on overall exp and similar.

That's more or less what I was thinking. Make harvesting very fast or even instant, more like a buying. But it will give very little xp points - and may be no OA xp points at all.

Or, amount you get in a single harvest increases with your harv level, while xp is still given per successful harvest. So at level 60 you would get like 50 sulfur in single harvest. This will allow people to spend more time on other stuff, like alchemy and manufacturing.

Of course this have to be balanced by alchemy and manufacturing system.

Ok. went to test server again.

with harv level 42:

diamonds 12 harvests/min

red quartz 28/min

yellow rose 57/min

impatiens 56/min

coal 28/min

sapphires 18/min

titanium 12/min

It looks like there is an additional penalty for titanium, times look not bad, could be a little faster.

went to the test server with new character.

started to harvest red snapdragons near the beam.

got 54 harvests/minute

leveled to harv level 6.

tried fruits - 2/min

sulphur - 6/min

may be there should be some discount for fruits/vegs - really slow for a noob.

to make it fun (atleast what i can figure people define as fun) would be that for every harvest a screen would pop and you would get a wack a mole kinda game where you have to click at the right spots at the right time or something. harvesting and similar is a very physical "skill" that is hard to translate over into a game without makeing it automatic...

I was thinking about that too duran... would people like it if we designed such a thing? I think it'd be fun..no more afk harvesting or boredom :D

Now that would add some fun for sure.... gets boring fast just having to sit and wait to get your fill and walk back to storage and do it over and over.... just waiting to get a load gets so boring... i love the speed on test now...

harvested iron ore got a new hit in +- 1 sec (with ex cloak)

harvested on fruits and got a hit in less then a sec

i did this when i had lvl 29 of harvesting so basicly the speed is ok if you ask me (i get a hit now every 2 sec on vengies and fruits ;)

harvesting level 30

22 gold ores in 120 sec - 11 per minute recom lvl. 30

118 blue lupine in 120 sec - 59 per minute recom. lvl - 1

114 white asiatic lilly in 120 sec - 57 per minute recom. lvl - 8

73 vegetables in 150 sec - 29 per minute recom. lvl 20

~60 fruits in 120 sec - 30 per minute (not sure, because i got blessed) recom. lvl 18

Depleting resorces will encourage players to seek out new areas in the game, as to avoid repicking in the same spots. The distance could range from so small you are not able to notice, as with the vegetable patches in Mydanyr, to an entirely diffrent map, such as red snapdragons and red roses both in Desert Pines instead of at #beam and Mydanyr graveyard.

We have so many spots not being used. This will give them a purpose.

Edited by freeone3000

Well, it would be an arcade-game element inside of a fantasy game..i don't see the problem in that (think final fantasy 7, they had that too)

Well make it a fantasy arcade-game like 'whack the dragons' or 'thump the giants'. :lol:

Can somebody split this thread into test results for the new system, and other comments, please?

On another note, though, I like Duran's "whack-a-mole" idea. You could just have a bush graphic in the background, overlay a 10x10 grid, and then have the graphical icons for the different flowers appear and disappear randomly across the grid. The higher the level of flower, the slower it appears, and the faster it disappears. Likewise, for mining, you could have a cave wall background, or a stone floor (for outdoor quartz), and have the icons all appear at first when you click to harvest, and then quickly start disappearing. If you don't get them all in time, you have to click again.

-Lyn-

I lag in console mode in fullscreen. I don't think that I would be able to harvest anything with this new idea Duran has come up with.

Edited by freeone3000

I lag in console mode in fullscreen. I don't think that I would be able to harvest anything with this new idea Lyanna has come up with.

It was originaly duran's idea. I agree, this may lag, but more to the point, i really dont like the 'whack-a-mole' idea in a game like this.

lol OK i am gna test it... i need to log onto Wind00z3 first... if i compile client OK i might be able to make build-in time tester for windows... maby for linux too later...

Speaking of which, may I *-borrow-* a copy to use sometime? I will be a great tester for windows. It is my only operating system I can use without it crashing on me.

(the trick is to hit it right on the processer when it freezes)

lol ok but it won't be done in less than two days...

anywyays... i got these results:

harvest lvl: 2

harvesting: tiger lilly

harvested: 10 seconds

while harvesting got: 9 tiger lillies

approx time per each tiger lilly: 0.9 sec

I lag in console mode in fullscreen. I don't think that I would be able to harvest anything with this new idea Lyanna has come up with.

It was originaly duran's idea. I agree, this may lag, but more to the point, i really dont like the 'whack-a-mole' idea in a game like this.

an i think i allready pointed out that any action element will favor anyone with a high capasity connection over someone on say dailup...

Hey all,

I could always be a tester for windows systems.

And I did test the new harvest wth my regular character, results have been posted a long time ago.

I'm just getting a little impatient cuz of seeing a fixed hrvest on the testserver, and still harvest really too slow for me in the normal game.

Most of the people who really cared about this, have allready tested it to their content.

Preferably, across the entire range of items, too, rather than just what you want to harvest. It can't be implemented until it is tested fully. It won't be tested fully until you actually go and test everything, with every possible combination you can think of. That's the whole point of beta-testing.

I would be able to do this Lyanna, and rather fast, but then I would need a Mod helping me, or some minor Mod priviliges to change my skill.

The reason is for low lvl harvest, i can not prevent myself from leveling up at vl 1-6 harvest it goes rather fast, especially if testing higher level things.

P.S.:I know I asked this too many times, but can't you atleast speed it up allready a little bit on the normal server, pleeeaaasseee.

Even if it's not too much, just a little faster then how it's now would be allready alot better.

Greetz,

Salem

Edited by Salem

Roja: Well, those kind of mini-games would probably be better off as just bonus games in-game.

That way people can choose to play them or not - for instance, you could go in a tavern and start a bar-minigame where you have to catch the bottles a drunken sailor is dropping. This could actually be made client-side only, just for amusement - shouldn't have any rewards, just made to be fun, for the people who like those kind of arcade-style games. If it's made server-side, and has a reward, people would macro :).

Edited by Wytter