Eternal Lands Official Forums
Tripp9

Scavaging

Scavaging is a very profitable business if you know how to get you foot in the door. I hope that after reading this short explanation and take heart some of the pointers you will become prosperous. It goes hand-in-hand with some of the "jobs" in EL.

You must be able to haul large loads over long distances. So be sure to increase your ability to carry larger loads as soon as you can. About 200 emu's is where an average salvager stays. That way he can hold a lot but is still in need of storage from time to time. (I'll explain that bit a little later)

Walking around EL you see bags lying about everywhere! Inside of these brown objects lare some of the games greatest rewards. They come from hunted animals, slain creatures, or even left behind after someone's journey to the underwold.

Most contain bones, a few pieces of meat, or even a fur or two. These types of bags can become very lucrative for the entrepreneur. They contain the most widely ignored resource-bones.

Bones can be used for potions and summoning. For the manufacturing god "Gillin" you will eventually need 500 to complete one of his many quests! So gather these up to the point of having approximately 300 in you inventory. The other 200 can be obtained later on.

To gather such a large quantity you must walk around Isla Prima, Whitestone, Valley of the Dwarves, and other lands. By doing this, you are mentally mapping out where some of the more "prosperous" locations are.

These "prosperous" locations are where you find more than bones. Items such as furs and antlers are left behind from wasteful slayers. These are where some of the real money lies. They are full of potential because more and more people are starting to increase their interest in summoning, potion making, etc.

Gather these up as much as you can. Furs can be sold to Henrik the Fur Trader in Tirnwood Vale for a small profit, remember, this isn't a get rich quick scheme, or they can be sold to unsuspecting players in need of quick results, i.e. guild members sent to replenish their inventory. It is going to require hard work and some sacrifice as well as business saavy.

People are always leaving behind items because they have no use for them or simply don't want them. Their ignorance is your bliss! You, ever so discreetly, should walk around and gather the discarded rewards of animals in the more popular killing fields. (You should know where these are because you walked around collecting bones, remember?)

Picking-up and storing the small and medium sized rewards allows you too build up you inventory. With a full inventory you alone will be able to answer the call in #jc 3 (market channel) for the larger orders put forth by guilds or power-hungry individuals. This is where you truly make the profits. Just up their offer by a few more gold per item(not a lot) and you will always, most certainly, have a deal because you are the only one to provide them with that particular product!

Ants and areas where harvesters congregate are also great places to pick-up bags. The ants and harvesters leave behind many things at their everchanging ant hills. Inside of these bags are vegetables, furs, flowers, and other items that can be sold to taverns or used in your inventory for your own little projects.

The ants are single-minded, gather and drop, gather and drop. Harvesters are the same way sometimes. Gain experience, drop, gain experience, drop.

Remeber these places as well. Profiting off of someone else's sweat is pure joy!

Now for the teal reason I myself began to scavenge-Dropped Bags!

These are bags left behind when someone is slain. They leave behind some of their belongings. Though it is shunned upon by the "politically correct, don't hurt anyone's feelings" crowd it is not illegal. It is the infamous "bag-jumping".

People don't like bag-jumping for many reasons. You have to make and uphold the argument of "not taking on more than you can handle" or "calling it quits". You see, people always think they're ready for the next big creature to come along as soon as they power-up or they push themselves to gather just a few more experience points. These two things most certainly end-up in death for the overachievers and undisciplined.

Like before, their death is your bliss! Inside of these bags are the hard works of their previous owners and there are a few tricks you can do with the contents.

Foremost, you must decide what it is you want. Do you want to keep some or all of what's inside? That is the first thing you ask yourself. You may be able to use the contents to further your character's abilities. Or you decide if you want to rid yourself of it and all that is inside for a tidy sum of money. Just be sure to pick everything up and seperate it somewhere else near where you found it so you can see who's bag it was if they come looking for it.

1) You can give up "what was found" at the closest gathering place for characters.

You wait until someone ask the all important, "Has anyone seen a bag with 100 gc, 8 FE's, and 4 fox furs?" question.

When they do, act as though you stumbled upon the bag and only reveal that you found what it is you decided not to keep. Never give it all away unless you wish to acquire fame as a good samaritan. But then you would never profit by always giving it away would you?

2) You hold it hostage.

Some players are so worried they won't ever get what it was they had again so they will pay almost anything for their stuff. Keep in mind, they worked hard for it so they may pay dearly for it. But don't push it! The haggling should be at a minimum and quick.

Unwanted attention as a thief or an untrustworthy person is something you must avoid at all costs.

3) Store it and sell it piece by piece, never as a bundle.

Monitor #jc 3, the Market Forum, or both and offer it up piece by piece at timed intervals. It wouldn't take much for someone to realize, "Hey! He's selling my stuff!" Stay away from unwarranted attention!

In conclusion, gaining profit from discarded bags, i.e. trash, is very honorable indeed! Who else has what you have once you begin your journey as a scavenger? No one!

Follow these simple rules; remain silent on your content's true origin; make honorable deals and establish yourself as an honest person (who, in reality, can steal away a person's hard work in an instant with the simple jump of a bag); and keep secret your secrets from those you do not know or trust.

This long guide is something that can be expanded upon. But to give away your trade secrets isn't very lucrative now is it?

... Interesting must rember not to die or bag swap ect aroung tripp...

You make a lot of valid points but rember if you find a death bag the rewards of returning it and building up a friend base network are invaulable... trust me a friend in the pocket is better then a sword in your back B)

... Interesting must rember not to die or bag swap ect aroung tripp...

You make a lot of valid points but rember if you find a death bag the rewards of returning it and building up a friend base network are invaulable... trust me a friend in the pocket is better then a sword in your back B)

That is true....friends are more valuable...

Edited by Tripp9

Wow...thanks for encouraging bag jumpers...

Oh AND the lying...

you're a bastard

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Hope someone takes your bag full of valuable items one day!

then again the next!

and again the next!

Don't die you say?

Accidents happen

Have friends around you say?

Friends lag out too

How's about just doing the right thing and returning what you find.

You'll never find sympathy from me when your crap is taken, sounds like a dose of your own medicine!

Edited by Quinticus

Wow...thanks for encouraging bag jumpers...

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Hope someone takes your bag full of valuable items one day!

then again the next!

and again the next!

Don't die you say?

Accidents happen

Have friends around you say?

Friends lag out too

How's about just doing the right thing and returning what you find.

You'll never find sympathy from me when your crap is taken, sounds like a dose of your own medicine!

Why get so mad? It's a reality...people jump bags! If you don't like it play another game.

Besides, after reading such horrid, sublime threats from you makes me wonder...

Haven't you ever jumped a bag before?

or

Do you just have a guilty conscience?

why get so mad?

Because you are encouraging it

I've been jumped MANY times, and it really ticks me off to see someone make of with stuff i've worked so hard for!

So you're just saying "it's ok, newbs...take what's other peoples"

LETS ADVERTISE IT!!!

BETTER YET! LETS PUT NELSON BACK ON! Then other people can SEE when we die and take our stuff!

You're pathetic!

WORK FOR WHAT YOU GET! It's much more rewarding.

I always make it a point to guard other people's bags when they die! Don't accuse me of what you're guilty of.

This thread isn't about obtaining other people's possessions. It's outlining alternative ways to, in essence, make a living.

I agree, it is very noble of you to guard and return what is others. Those actions should be encouraged more often if it is such a problem.

But, read the post a little closer (and with less judgement) and you'll see I am only bringing to light what it is people do and how it's done. You are trying to kill the messenger!

Leave it to fanatics to misinterpret what has been said to fit their own agenda.

As far as "working for what you get", what about it? To me you are slightly afraid of hardwork yourself or else you would not be complaining so much about losing your stuff.

Put Nelson back on...who cares...keep everything of value on you without a back-up plan in case it is lost...who cares...take discarded bags, guard discarded bags, return discarded bags...who cares...who....cares?

So, to appease you and save this thread from becoming a shouting match and return it to the platform of discussion that it was originally intended to be...please...oh please...accept my apologies for so rudely bringing to light the dirty laundry that runs rampant in EL.

Please, forgive me Quinticus and all who judge.

All I was trying to accomplish was to explain that bags are out there and everyone of them are full of surprises...what is done with that surprise is up to the finder.

Please, accept my most humblest of apologies Quinticus and continue on with your close-minded dialect.

Of course i'm aware that bag jumping runs rampant. It's supposed to be a bad thing. Instead of discouraging the action, you are actually perpetuating it! If you are going to discuss it, at least TRY to discourage it. The last thing any honest player wants is some newbie stealing their bag then saying that it's legitimate. All because they read a post on the EL boards TEACHING them what to do and what not to do.

I most certainly not am afraid of hard work. I'm angry at the fact that my hard work gets taken by some pesky little newb looking for freebies.

You're damn right in calling me close-minded when it comes to this subject. I do not appreciate someone TEACHING others how to steal. I am open minded to making things work in an HONEST fashion.

You want to make your post better? Discourage others from taking bags. Or better yet, encourage them to ASK for what is in bags. Most people that i find taking my things i require that they give them back or they go on my guilds blacklist and whatnot. When they give them back they find that i'm a likeable person and they actually get MORE than what they took. Just ask a player by the name of Jakie.

Why not ask...

Is that your bag? Before you jump on it.

Can i have whats in it?

Are you done with it?

When someone dies...guard their stuff, then ask if there's anything they don't need that you can take of their hands.

This is a much better and ETHICAL way of acquiring things for free.

Better than STEALING what's not yours.

I, for one, am much more lenient to those who correct their mistakes and are helpful.

I'm getting off my soap box, appology accepted.

There ARE ethical scavengers out there....

I rarely walk past a bag without checking it...

BUT

If it's obviously someone else's stuff (armour/weaps/essences, etc), then I will bag-sit for upto 20 minutes waiting for that person to come back.

This allows them enough time to lose connection, need to reboot, travel across the lands, say hi to friends, and all the other little things the delay the trip back from the underworld.

I'd hate to lose MY stuff so would not dream of keeping someone else's - and if I can help them keep their stuff by bag-sitting for them, then all the better :ph34r: It's made me a few friends along the way, and people trust me more, knowing that I would never keep their hard-earned stuff :D

But collecting all the bones and meat and other occasional goodies that I find in bags helps out others too... All those summoners, potion makers, and other types in my guild have been helped from my 'collection service' :P

Ethical scavenging IS possible... It depends on the person who's doing it!

Edited by avon

Completely agree, i step on most free bags as well. But i never take anything. I don't like scavenging. Something about taking the dregs of society is just unappealing to me.

A good portion of the time i'm picking up bones and furs and stuff to put it in one bag. I can't stand a mess.

Holy Smokes!

Now you're getting the most important part of my thread-picking-up what is there and using it to make a profit.

Dang Quinticus I knew you had it in you!

Thanks for understanding...

I like it :)

But to be an honorable scavenger, a nice thing to do would be:

1.) When you see someone die, or come across an unguarded bag, take it's contents.

2.) go to newbie channel or whatever, ask if someone lost a bag with x item(s) in it. (x being number of items, NOT the items lost, because you might get scammed)

3.) If someone says they lost a bag, pm them and ask what they lost. If they get the items right, move onto step 4. If not, repeat step 2 a few more times (once or twice)

4.) Set up a meeting place. Meet the person wherever, and give them their stuff! You might get a reward for it. If not, don't worry. There are many bags out there waiting for you :)

(NOTE: In regards to step 3, if nobody claims the items after 2 or 3 tries, it is legally yours (really, it's the law ... ;))

Now, how to be a dishonorable scavenger ... the right way:

(I have never done this, but I like to role play and think of things like this. Note, take this path only if you want to be amongst the most hated players of EL)

1.) Beleive it or not, an DIShonorable scavenger would go to newbie channel to ask if anyone lost items at x location. You know why? So (s)he could laugh at the person who lost it and/or ransom it as Tripp said.

2.) A bag-jumping scavenger will actually wait around while a person fights a monster/animal. Keeping an eye on the fighter's HP, the dishonorable scavenger will trade, flood the screen with pm's (yeah, its happened to me) causing them to die a horrible death, then aquiring the bag. Then it's either, ignoring pm's to return the bag, or ransoming it xD

There ya go. Watch out. Oh, and it's always better to be honorable, so please dont scam, lie or do dishonorable scavenging. ;)

I like it :)

But to be an honorable scavenger, a nice thing to do would be:

1.) When you see someone die, or come across an unguarded bag, take it's contents.

2.) go to newbie channel or whatever, ask if someone lost a bag with x item(s) in it. (x being number of items, NOT the items lost, because you might get scammed)

3.) If someone says they lost a bag, pm them and ask what they lost. If they get the items right, move onto step 4. If not, repeat step 2 a few more times (once or twice)

4.) Set up a meeting place. Meet the person wherever, and give them their stuff! You might get a reward for it. If not, don't worry. There are many bags out there waiting for you :)

(NOTE: In regards to step 3, if nobody claims the items after 2 or 3 tries, it is legally yours (really, it's the law ... ;))

Now, how to be a dishonorable scavenger ... the right way:

(I have never done this, but I like to role play and think of things like this. Note, take this path only if you want to be amongst the most hated players of EL)

1.) Beleive it or not, an DIShonorable scavenger would go to newbie channel to ask if anyone lost items at x location. You know why? So (s)he could laugh at the person who lost it and/or ransom it as Tripp said.

2.) A bag-jumping scavenger will actually wait around while a person fights a monster/animal. Keeping an eye on the fighter's HP, the dishonorable scavenger will trade, flood the screen with pm's (yeah, its happened to me) causing them to die a horrible death, then aquiring the bag. Then it's either, ignoring pm's to return the bag, or ransoming it xD

There ya go. Watch out. Oh, and it's always better to be honorable, so please dont scam, lie or do dishonorable scavenging. ;)

Now, the main purpose of this post was to display guidelines for scavaging. But my alterior motive was for setting guidelines on bag-jumping.

Throughout the forum are posts on how bad bag-jumpers are and how much they suck. But there was never any real rhyme or reason on what to do if you come across a bag.

This debate has produced thus far (see above) some very nice set of guidelines for us to follow and preach to the newbies.

Continue to proceed scholarly discussion amongst the masses!

Thanks to all who participated in this discussion.

I like that, satan. Works pretty well by me!

I dont know if you are talking to me or not, but I'm not Satan ;)

PS: Bag-jumping is annoying, but c'mon, this is an MMORPG ... ROLE PLAYING... so what fun is it if everyone is honorable.

And agreeing with Tripp, let's continue with a civil discussion ;)

:lol: sorry, saw Jebus...was thinking alter ego or something :lol:

Today is my dixlesic bay.

LOL it's okay. Actually, me and Satan do not get along at all :blink: Sucks having enemies.

HAHA i find that rather ironic...well maybe not. Perhaps iconic?

Either way, that's funny! Hope you two can work something out one day.

Save our souls or damn us all to hell...just make up your minds!