Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

New Manufacturing System

Well just by skimming through the first page, Eternal Lands is starting to become a more advanced Illarion, with Lvl's and global chat... Now just to start adding some more intent role playing

I don't know if I'm the only one actually liking Pipers idea?

To me much of the fun in the game is in talking with people as well, and as I see it, Roja's system doesn't really leave much time for that...

The ideal way of making a sword(the thing everyone is using for example it seems :P ) imo would be something like this:

-Harvest some ore and coal

-Make some fire ess

-Take it to a smithy

-"Use" the furnace to make the ore in to bars

-"Use" the furnace again, along with more bars and adding more coal and fe's to make a blade(maybe some variables here, to give a chance of making lighter, more durable blades - ala Damask Steel(this would be by throwing in some sort of clay or such - should be rare harvestable I'd say) :D or even the "super-folded" steel used for katanas?)

-"Use" an anvil to hammer the blade to shape, again adding more fe's, adn maybe some more coal too (maybe even a few water ess as well, if you want the effect of cooling down the metal to be added)

-Make a hilt and cross-guard, using bones, wood or metal, and some leather, maybe even gem-stones if You want to the weapon a bit more "flashy" :) (this don't have to be done at a smithy)

-Return to the smithy with blade, hilt and cross-guard, throw in yet more fe's, and put the sword together

-Take the sword to a grind-stone, add water ess, and the more times you use the grind-stone, the sharper you can make the blade, but each time with a higher chance of breaking the finished blade(though this would also depend on the kind of steel/iron you used for the blade)

Now for another example - the chain-links used for mails :)

-Harvest some ore and coal

-Make some fire ess

-Take it to a smithy

-"Use" the furnace to make the ore in to bars

-"Use" the anvil(or some other thing) along with some fe's, to make it in to thread

-"Mix" the thread with some rod(preferably iron(a new tool, or something more to manu :) ), but wood could do too) to get it into shape for the links

-Cut the links through with some tool(a pair of pliers or some such), getting a gazillion(or maybe a bit fewer) seperate chainlinks(that should stack, please :) )

-"Use" the anvil, fe's and chain links, to make larger pieces of chain

-"Use" the anvil, fe's and a number of chain pieces to make a finished piece of armour - be that a coif, a mail, a hauberk(knee-long chainmail) or chausses(a set of mail "trousers" protecting from the waist down)

Making chainlinks in other materials, ie. gold and silver, could add some more detail to the armours too such as coloured borders and such :battleaxe:

Also these chain-link pieces might be used for making platemails, at least the kind of plate there is now...

Agreed - this would make it a longer process to manufacture weapons and armour, but on the other hand, it would still let people try to maintain conversations, would still be do-able with a soddy connection and would still let people finish making larger amounts of weapons at the same time(this might not be so good a thing...)

i think it is a good idea but i am concerned on how long it will take to lvl manu now

an idea i have is either make the overall manu lvl easyer to get drop the lvl needed on weapons/armors or make the exp gained off each make higher

doin that might keep it challeneging but not imposible to gain a lvl.

if it's to hard i'm gonna have to be fighting naked :S

Good idea and i love it! I'm a manufactorer and that new update won't change my mind about manufactoring in the future...somone mentioned braking of swords. I think to make it more realistic, if your sword brakes you can repair it yourself. BUT never lose it. Coz most swords can be fixed once broken. OR we could just pay to Tankel to fix it if you are bad manufactorer, but when you are better at manufactoring you can fix stuff yourself without Tankel's help, :lipssealed:

We will also need more swords and more armour. Coz it won't be fair if people get to keep their swords now and with the new update they will have already best swords. To overcome this problem we need better swords than serp. That way everyone will need to work to get new cool swords. ;)

And i do like Shivars idea about making sub-man skills, like in his picture:

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL835/2845044/inbox/63231.jpg

Grymauch

i didnt have enough time to read the reply's but what if instead of monsters dropping weapons they can drop handles

wood or bone for the handle

gobs ocasionally could drop iron sword handle

cyc's + could drop serp / tit long handles just a thought if its a double plz delete

okay if you really want to make the game more realistic you need to start with your characters having all start with same strengths and weaknesses is so unrealistic for example you start everyone at phys 4 coord 4 but due to thier backgrounds as either say dwarf elf or human the stats should reflect the life they lived by the history of thier race ie dwarves are generally miners by most common histories so they should have a larger initial carry capacity as where elfin kind would have more dexterity human could stay as you have it but as i said to make this change would certainly mess game up unless you first make character races more realistic

i like the idea of decomposite in small parts the process of making armour and weapons, like is it for the craft skills (future jewelry) salun give a good thing about that exept in RL a chain mail need a lot of hours and don't need fire :D, if you want one better buy it, really! i know what i mean :D

making a plate mail, click and wait isn't really interresting and more parts = more probability to fail then less stuff make for who make stuff under recomended level, and give to high level players more honor about work done, for finish make the manufacturer more artisants than factory

There is no way to get rid of clicking in a game(or pressing keys on the keyboard, etc..). Right now, I think that the fun factor is zero, and i think that the majority agree.

I agree that you can't get rid of all the clicking in any computer game. But at the same time, you want to make every effort to keep it from being mindless clicking: mix, mix, eat, mix, mix, eat, mix, mix, <yawn> eat, mix, mix, eat.........

I think any lack of fun now has more to do with the "mindless clicking" aspect of the game. Increasing the steps/complexity of making something may be fun/interesting the first few hundred times (or less) but then it's going to start feeling like busy-work. It isn't mindless because you clearly have to pay attention, but it could become just busy-work (SO many thing to do just to make one item).

As others have pointed out, anything that depends to much on timing is a problem for people with a slow computer or connection.

So, how to make it interesting, but not busy-work, and not mindless? I don't have any perfect solutions, but here's one idea that could perhaps be worked with.

What if the mixtures to make something weren't exact, but instead were guidelines? What if each item took a slightly different ration (because not all lumps of gold ore or coal are the same size/weight)?

Imagine a mix window that indicated how much of each item you needed for the current selected item to be made. You choose "gold bar" and it as you add the items it shades or marks them to show to-much/to-little/just-right. When they're all correct, you hit mix and it makes one (with a lower chance of failure). Then, perhaps the ratio stays the same (so you mix again) perhaps it changes (opps, need 1 more ore, 1 less coal). You adjust, and mix again. The time to mix could also vary from mix to mix (that chunk of gold ore was bigger, took longer to melt).

This would slow production WAY down (so experience per item would need to go WAY up). Slower production would mean less items, and therefore better prices (supply/demand economics). There'd be NO way to macro this (short of a very intelligent client). Some may still call it busy-work, but it's sure not mindless anymore. And I'm not sure adding more individual steps to make something will cause it to be more fun to make. This doesn't add more steps, just slows the process down and requires you to pay attention.

I'm not claiming this would be better/worse than what we have now, nor better/worse than what Roja proposed. But it's a different approach to solving the problem and might trigger some even better ideas.

I think, this idea is maby something to learn about but i think people play this game after school/work and they just want to have pleasure not staying on learn methods (Like school).

And you already have to make alot of damn Bars, and ess i dont think people gonna play it alot if they have to do some much work, maby there gonna think they are on a second school or so. :P

I think it aint a good idea but nice thought about.

i think this is a great idea, i also like what piper said about useing flowers to dye items, maybe that could be implemented too or better still make dye making a part of alchemy so we can sell the dye on market for different prices depending on the rareness of the colour, this would also enable us to have custom outfits like tc-client did before the big update (well at least dif couloured outfits not the actual disign like some in tc)

as for what roja says about manu i think its a great idea and fully support the idea if its implemented even if it does make life abit harder

I don't like all of this rubbish about making things have a "cool down" period. All that needs to be done is an increase in the amount of ingredients required, and an increase in the amount of xp rewarded.

Less items will be made with the same end result.

maybe u could introduce plateing of some of these items to make it even harder, like normal iron plate mail to be made 1st but then that plate mail could be made silver plated, gold plated and titanium plated all costing extra ingredience and all costing different prices on the market, and of corse the rarer the colour of the plate the higher exp u would need to make that item.