Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Buuhan1

Testing The Map

Well how exactly do you test out a map,like to see if where you put the walkable tiles and all that is right?

god that stinks you can't test it,how can you be sure if you did everything right before submitting it ><

A test server is being developed for map-makers to test their maps. Still under construction though, so be patient.

-Lyn-

lol,HEY thats a hard word,and last night i got a crazy idea and replaced one of my maps with a map programed in the game,no place was the right size tho and the gamed crashed alot so that idea back fired

MD2 or 2D0? Not sure why you'd need something for MD2's.. you can't use them in the map editor. ;0 But you might try looking in the visual art sub-forum.

A test server is being developed for map-makers to test their maps. Still under construction though, so be patient.

-Lyn-

Yay!!! B)

Hazor, I like your siggy :P lol

a potential problem i see with this is going hmmm... put veggies here, crystal there. then using it to level up. Though i dont doubt you would have thought of this and most probably overcome it. But if not could there be like a test character that comes standard and can do everything but has no impact on in game status

The test server uses different accounts too, so I guess a map test server will require you to make a new character just for that server.

The test server uses different accounts too, so I guess a map test server will require you to make a new character just for that server.

Indeed.

I'm in the process of editing the Narilk map so it's totaly clean, nothing left of the original map. That way once it's done you can edit it and creat a new world in the map and then go on the regular server and view your work as if you were actualy playing it. No one else will see your editing, but it will be a good tool to see how the map turned out for you. I should have it ready in about a week or two as I need to fix a few issues with the shoreline. I'll post a link to it when I'm finished with it, it was the only solution I could come up with so I could see the editing process as I work on a map.

NeoSeS

Wolflord, that will ony work visually, all of the heightmap tiles will still be as they are on the regular map though. So it won't work to test the map like that.

I changed the height map settings to Regular as well, most places on the map it works fine. The hardest part was around the shore line... It's not perfect, but there is a good portion of the map that can be edited and tested so you can view your work. THe northwest corner was all pretty much flat to begin with so... at least this way we can see all the problems with the map that the testers find when they test the maps we submit... it's kind hard to envision all those glitches and flickers that are suppose to be there when we can't test it ourselves before we submit it. It's not by any means a perfect solution, but well, it was the best I could come up with.

NeoSeS

wether or not the tile is walkable is serverside, the height of the tile is not

sorta hard to test maps with a faulty tester =P

it's kind hard to envision all those glitches and flickers that are suppose to be there when we can't test it ourselves before we submit it

You don't have to envision anything, you can see it all for yourself in the mapeditor. Seriously, if you've read the manual you can TEST your map in the mapeditor. Slowly rotate the camera to see flickering(as is stated in the manual), put the heightmap on and look all over the map to see if you have that right, etc.

Veiwing the map in the map editor and veiwing the map in the game are two entirely diffrent perspectives. Besides I'm learning a ton just tearing apart the map in the first place so, it's been quite informative and a learning experience. Hopefully the next map will turn out better, we'll just have to wait and see, but hey this is good practice in the mean time :D

NeoSeS

I actually have a question. Do 2d objects flatten to closest heightmap under it, or does it stay where it is place?

The reason I ask is because I want to know how high I can put 2d ground objects from the tiles. I want to make sure they do not glitch, but also don't want the player to walk through them.