Eternal Lands Official Forums
Wytter

What's Your Religion

Greetings all,

Even though this can be a somewhat controversial topic, I wanted to know what you believe in. Are you a follower of any official religion, or did you create your own?

Could be interesting to see what thoughts you have about religion in general.

This is not the place for criticizing other people's religious/spiritual believes.

Name:

Umm, haven't thought of a name for it yet :)

The beginning:

The universe has strong spiritual powers, and "Mother Nature" is the greatest power of them all. This power comes from the energies in the nature and covers love, hate, attraction (physical and mental) and hereby creation and destruction. She is both good and evil, ying and yang.

The universe was created in a big bang, but this was not the first universe she created. The creation of this universe meant the destruction of the previously existing universe, which is where the energy came from.

I believe that this happened as the entropy of the previous universe had almost reached it's maximum, and the only way for the universe to go on with it's existance without losing it's glow and beauty was to destroy it and to create a new one using the energies from the old. This process is continious and has always happened - there was no before, she has always existed and her age is infinite, hence meaningless to us human.

The end:

I do not believe in an afterlife as such. I believe that what you do in life affects your "children" (as in the next generation, next generation after that, etc.), and I believe that doing good is one of the greatest purposes in life. You will not live forever, but your actions will.

The purpose:

I believe that succes as a human being is happiness and finding peace with all of your actions, knowing that you did right. Be honest to yourself and to others, and you will one day be able to wake up, look out of the window, knowing that you have been living a good life.

I do not hate, if I dislike a person I feel indifferent about the person - whether s/he lives or dies, I do not wish to waste feelings on him/her. Hate is a very strong feeling and I will only use that feeling towards people who have really deserved my hatred - so far none is on that list.

Love is another aspect in life - I do love most people I know, but of course there's a difference between the love to your friends, love to your family and love to your beloved, but I would die for most.

Living life:

I believe in the individuals freedom to do what they wish, as long as it is morally defendable - I could write down all of my moral standards, but I choose not to, that'd be boring as hell to read :P.

I believe that diversity is a positive term. I believe that there's only 1 human race: Homo Sapiens Sapiens, and that the different colours, heights etc. are just caused by evolution where the people have adapted to the given geographical area.

I believe in trust and I have never, nor will I ever abuse a persons trust in me.

I believe that we should use science to the extend of helping the human race, without i.e. altering on our genome, due to moral and ethical aspects.

Spiritual places:

I believe that the nature is a sacred place, and that we should not misuse it's ressources, such as it happens with i.e. cutting down the rainforest, extinguishing hundreds of species every day.

Thoughts on other religions:

I believe that religious thoughts should never be forced upon a human, but that they should be developed by the individual - of course, borrowing ideas from others is good, but noone should have the exact same religious believes. I believe that you should always respect the religious believes of another human being, and that specific religious believes does not have a place in a government or in the schools - moralilty, however, does.

Ah well, that's the more basic ideas, left out a lot of my thoughts, but I guess this should suffice for now :)

Edited by Wytter

I dont got a Religion :P

Its all bullsmeg to me. And so what if u believe in god or something why should u go to church etc :-S i dont get that.

Very nicely put, Wytter :P

I would say personally I do not believe in organized religion...I am a catholic by birth but am not a practicing one. However that is not to say I do not have morals, values, and beliefs...I just feel that what I believe is better met through other avenues.

However if one defines religion as what do you believe in and how you should live your life...I don't believe it could be put better than how Wytter posted.

Charismatic Christian.

And in a multi-religious, multi-ethnic society, whose historical development was not influenced by Christianity as much as Europe or the Americas was - I think I have certain perspectives that may be different from those that come from what are now known as "post-Christian" communities.

It's sad sometimes to see.

-Lyn-

im not a religious person either :)

And yet you are the only one with God in his signature :P

As for myself, no, I'm not religious either.

Atheist.

Quick summary of "beliefs":

There is no purpose to life, other than what you put in yourself. Nature is a thing of beauty, and studying, or simply looking at it, it can give you great pleasure. I don't think there's an afterlife, I think doing good is good because it benificial to society, and I'm a staunch supporter of everyone's right to decide for themselves what their personal religious convictions are.

Atheist.

There is no purpose to life, other than what you put in yourself. Nature is a thing of beauty, and studying, or simply looking at it, it can give you great pleasure. I don't think there's an afterlife, I think doing good is good because it benificial to society, and I'm a staunch supporter of everyone's right to decide for themselves what their personal religious convictions are.

wow, thats exactly how I think about it...well said! :P

this may spread an outbreach on post but im a Pagan meaning christians dont like me. I believe in a earth base religion meaning i worship the earth an the God's an goddesses within it. Yes pagans are not limited to the gods they worship each god an goddess has there own purpose within magick an we honor them in many ways. I believe people have the wrong ideas of Pagans an other religions. For example christians has been told many times that if you dont believe in God you will go to hell, an if your not saved you will go to hell. Well pagans dont believe in hell an we also dont believe that a person can dam you to hell if you dont believe in a certain god, Jesus is a very Jeolous god, but hes jeolous as there are many other gods an goddess out there an he wants to take the fame:P. Quoted in the 10 commandments is "you should not worship anyother gods besides me."If he printed that does that mean hes applying there are other gods?. Also Pagans dont have a set book of what they should believe or how they should act in life. For example Christians an other religions go around what the bible says. well thats my input,, an btw i have fun with the mormons at my door:P we learn alot from each other. An one more thing, i was a christian for 17 years, i changed as i had to seriously look at the world, an found that people have there heads stuck up there preachers butt, an looks at the punishment of hell for not believing in Jesus, an they dont look at how the world is serious made up of. OK well thats my input Goddess bless, Jason

this may spread an outbreach on post but im a Pagan meaning christians dont like me.

Christians should not "dont like" you because of that (or because of anything else).

We are not in the position to judge other people for what they do or what they are.

well put Wytter.

and to all those who claim to not be religious - by definition religion can include any activity a person pursues with zeal or vigour (even sport).

Edited by stasia

Atheist.

Same here. Was brought up catholic but i dont believe in it.

OK...lemme see...

• There is no god.
  • When you die, you're gone.
  • Everybody deserves equal rights.
  • Criminals should be prosecuted, and the outcome should not be affected by religion, race, gender, or sexual orientation.
  • You're free to believe what you want to, as long as those beliefs don't have a negative affect on you or anybody else.

Well, I'll add on more when I think of more...

Edited by goatsgomoo

that should be the case yes, but christians still think witches worship the devil,

No, its more the other way.

Most devil worshippers are witches.

Officially I am an atheist. Anyway I believe in Benedict De Spinoza's philosophy that god = nature.

It is kinda sane idea. Also one religion or rather philosophy that I practice is buddhism - it is a philosophy

of human being who can subdue his mind, for me it is kind of hacking of nature law - these people really

can not eat for month and feel no hunger. Isn't it amazing how mind can controll your body?

I believe in science and that what I can see and measure anyway it is not that blind faith which were

making scientists to throw away philosophy. For example scientists didn't believed how buddhist monks

could controll their body, but after they has seen it they believed. It is the one religion that haven't been

made to controll nations and other people's minds, it not requires sacrifices, worshiping some

supernatural ghosts aka. gods etc. ridiculous stuff, so if I'd have to chose a religion I'd choose this one

Modern science not even deny reincarnation - there are alot of states of matter and energy we haven't

discovered therefore you can't deny that soul, if exists is a specific matter state. There are no proof that

reincarnation doesn't exist and no proof that it does.

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

Well technically i'm an Orthodox Christian.

But i guess my belives are pretty far from that... Best i can describe myself is a monotheist.

I belive all evidence points to the universe being created/designed by an inteligent being and i see creation as a highly efficient generator for the future states of the universe. In other words to create the rules of the universe and its initial state is mostly equivalent to creating the universe in its present state, it was simply deployed in a compressed form :blink:.

But while i belive the rules of the universe to be statistically deterministic, i think there's local randomness. And not only at the cuantic level, i think that sentient beings act as true "variables" themselves - individuals have choice, and God himself dosen't know everything that will happen (although he can make things the way he wants them to be - no fun in that though :angry:).

Anyway i see God as benevolent, but mostly removed from creation.

I trust in science as a way to create models of reality (species-subjective reality/sensorial data not objective reality, i think any objective reality that might exist is as inaccesible to analysis as God himself)

I belive people are responsible to themselves, the other human individuals, and mankind. A human's greatest quality is empathy, the capacity to understand/identify himself with others.

Nothing a human does can be morally wrong unless it affects other humans or mankind as a whole (present or future).

So i don't belive in "natural" morality, as someone interested in astronomy i'm aware of our place in the Universe, and i realise nothing we do to it can possibly affect it in any significant way.

I see ecology simply as resource management, and i belive mankind has a destiny beyond this piece of dirt we call Earth, which will have to be consumed and discarded sooner or later.

well hey we got a satanist in the british army :lol:

Only one ?

You would be surprised if you knew how many satanists there are in high places like governments and so.

Not religous here.

Personally I think religion makes far too many people stupid. It gives them an excuse to never really think about how their actions and words affect others. And It also is a reason to never take responisibility for their own actions.

Edited by Itami

Guest Josra

that satanist looks evil. Crammer i think his name was.

PLus my dad said to me " when u grow up to avoid a argument dont talk aobut POLITICS, RELIGION AND SPORTS (WHICH TEAMS BETTER)".

everytime ive started talking bout one of these ive got into a Mass Debate:)

For you guys satanist is a crazy person who sacrifice black cats and group rapes virgins. You're kinda

wrong. Of course there are people who does such things and claims to be satanists but they are only

sick kids. In many civilizations sane people were workshipping evil gods such like Kali.

Regards.