Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dent

Bell Sympatico - Problems And Solutions

OK. Bell Sympatico is part of Bell South, I am assuming, as it is both banned and has a dynamic IP.

I was just on the phone with one of their incomprehensible service reps and what I got from the conversation was this:

1) your modems are what randomly chooses your IP when you connect. Bell Sympatico itself has no way of assigning you a static IP if you are using the standard modem package. (problem)

2) They do offer an upgrade to a wireless router package ($50 CDN - Bastards) that will keep your IP if you have to disconnect (after an update, say). (solution - partial)

3) If you have more than one computer, keep at least one hooked up to the net at all times. That way if you do have to re-boot or reconnect with one of them, the other keeps the connection alive. (solution - Partial)

4) the biggest problem whith the above setup and the universal ban is that in the case of loss of service (power / phone outage) when you re-connect you are almost certainly going to have a new IP. This means that if the whitelist depends on an IP and username / pass combination you will have to ask for another whitelisting. I do not know if this is the case, so any information to clarify the point would be helpful. (PROBLEM!)

5) the rep assured me that anyone contacting Sympatico through their website would get a reply soonest. Take that with the proverbial grain of salt, but if Sympatico only uses a certain range of IPs and dealing with them can help some of us out, I'm all for a try. In case you dont want to search for the URL; http://service.sympatico.ca/

If anyone can chip in with some helpful information or especially with possible solutions, I would be greatful. I loved the game for the couple of days I was able to play. I would really welcome the chance to get back into it, but seem to be having issues since I re-booted. If the log-on is dependant on IP, there is no point in getting whitelisted just yet as I use a laptop and frequently disconnect it.

Hope to get this resolved soon,

Dent

White list is now name based.

Regards.

OK. Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure what my problem is then. I have run the scanners, re-installed and I was playing earlier in the week so my system is up to par.

I have one error showing:

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/fontv.bmp

What is fontv and how do I make it work?

OK. Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure what my problem is then. I have run the scanners, re-installed and I was playing earlier in the week so my system is up to par.

I have one error showing:

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/fontv.bmp

What is fontv and how do I make it work?

It's a stupid error- all it means anymore is that EL is running :D

Ok folks, thanks for the help.

Turns out I am a n00b.

I dl'ed some new video drivers and I got into the game without any errors or warnings about IP bans. May the Internet Gods continue to bless my system for as long as I am able to play.

hehe. What a maroon.

C ya all in game.